User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFleetwoodMac
Do I detect a hint of passive agressiveness? Smiley face notwithstanding.
Huh? Now, I am getting paranoid. What did I say? Somehow, I think I'm coming off as majorly offensive in this thread. I asked because I would love to hear about some of the shows from someone who was there.. I thought maybe you were. Before my time, too.

Quote:
P.S. - In I'm So Afraid, I like when he sort of messes up the last note (he hits the string but nothing comes out) and then he take his revenge out on it.
I love that, too! He goes wild on that thing!

During Blue Letter, when Stevie and Lindsey are singing the lines "I won't be waiting around for you", he looks away from Stevie with a look of almost disgust. Does that every single time. I think maybe they had issues..
Old 06-14-2005, 06:22 PM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
you're right. he's smoking a filtercigarette.
Good thing. If it was a joint, he would have passed out!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Everyone should end their posts in this thread with things they like about the Mirage show. Or things they wish to like if they haven't seen it.
Are you kidding? It's the best official FM concert vid out there!

Great performances of most of these songs (The Chain, SOTM, GYOW, EOTW...) and not all overdubbed to hell.

Love all Lindsey's little looks!

And they all look fantastic!

This video was the end of an era. It was the last tour before the freakin' backing band joined them, and may arguably be as raw as they got. Again, this was a band on the edge, and the video shows that.

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 06-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, maybe I'm paranoid that everyone is getting angry at me all the time. Or I just want to pick a fight with someone. You could have meant "If you saw some Mirage shows, care to share?" like "Well if you have proof, then bring it on, 'cause I certainly don't believe you." But if you meant it that way, I'm sure you would have been more obvious. I had to really search for passive agressiveness in what you wrote. My bad.

Everyone should end their posts in this thread with things they like about the Mirage show. Or things they wish to like if they haven't seen it.

I like when Mick does his statue pose during his Not That Funny solo.
No sweat. Don't feel bad. At least, you're not getting pmed by someone who tells you your post is pathetic and you should get a life because you used the term "hard on".

Ok, so something else I like.. I like during Blue Letter when Stevie is playing with stuffed animals. I think it was BL and that's what it looked like to me anyway. Gonna go watch it again. So cute.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagringader&r
At least, you're not getting pmed by someone who tells you your post is pathetic and you should get a life because you used the term "hard on".

Oh...yeah...you're the one who's pathetic...

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 PM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He sang that line the whole tour?
The whole tour -- also in 1978 when the band played it as an encore.
Quote:
If you saw some Mirage shows, care to share?
The shows at the Forum that they filmed weren't quite as splendid as the show they did in Orange County a few nights before, & they weren't quite as festive as the appearance at the US Festival, but all in all, they were splendid & festive enough. The Oakland Coliseum show was pretty much a replica of the L.A. gigs (it was only the night before). Even the sound quality was the same: you get that sports arena echo going in similarly sized venues.

I'm eternally glad I saw Irvine, but I would love to have seen the performance at Joe Louis Arena in September. That must have been roaring good, just based on the tape. I think the best "Sisters of the Moon," "Chain" & "Rhiannon" were probably at Irvine, though. It's a shame they didn't film that; it could have made a nice little commercial package with all the guest stars & the night sky. It also had the most refreshing dialog.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I think some of the songs ("Gypsy," "Eyes Of The World," "Don't Stop") are better served by the more "polished" approach on stage. But others, like "The Chain," "Rhiannon," "Go Your Own Way," are best when the band is left unadorned.
As always, I have to sort of agree & sort of disagree. I'd have liked a more polished "Love in Store," for example, but not "Don't Stop." I don't think there's any comparison between the old way & the new way. In the old days, they pushed it along at sometimes breakneck speed, & the song just turned into a coiled rattlesnake. But ever since 1987, they have foolishly made an anthem out of it, & it's as plodding & overemphatic as most anthems are. In the old days, Christine's uncanny piano arrangement used to propel the rhythm; but since 1987, her piano was virtually buried in the sludge -- it couldn't propel a plastic toy in a bathtub.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The whole tour -- also in 1978 when the band played it as an encore.
The shows at the Forum that they filmed weren't quite as splendid as the show they did in Orange County a few nights before, & they weren't quite as festive as the appearance at the US Festival, but all in all, they were splendid & festive enough. The Oakland Coliseum show was pretty much a replica of the L.A. gigs (it was only the night before). Even the sound quality was the same: you get that sports arena echo going in similarly sized venues.

I'm eternally glad I saw Irvine, but I would love to have seen the performance at Joe Louis Arena in September. That must have been roaring good, just based on the tape. I think the best "Sisters of the Moon," "Chain" & "Rhiannon" were probably at Irvine, though. It's a shame they didn't film that; it could have made a nice little commercial package with all the guest stars & the night sky. It also had the most refreshing dialog.
You will never know how jealous I am right now. Thanks for posting that and so incredibly cool you got to see multiple shows back then. How many in all? Who were the guest stars at the Irvine show? I'm just picturing this all in my head. I don't know how anyone else feels, but you really can't give provide too many details. Anything that really stands out (other than being there!) that you remember?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
As always, I have to sort of agree & sort of disagree. I'd have liked a more polished "Love in Store," for example, but not "Don't Stop." I don't think there's any comparison between the old way & the new way. In the old days, they pushed it along at sometimes breakneck speed, & the song just turned into a coiled rattlesnake. But ever since 1987, they have foolishly made an anthem out of it, & it's as plodding & overemphatic as most anthems are. In the old days, Christine's uncanny piano arrangement used to propel the rhythm; but since 1987, her piano was virtually buried in the sludge -- it couldn't propel a plastic toy in a bathtub.
No, you're right. "Don't Stop" wasn't a good example.

I have to admit I love the arrangement on the 'Dance' tour, and the horn samples, etc., they use now... but thinking back to the 'Live' album version, the way Christine ends it with a bit of boogie piano really is something marvelous. So that's probably another example of a song that's better when played in a straightforward fashion.

"Love In Store" is a good example though. And even though a lot of people love the live versions of "Hold Me," I've never developed a taste for them. The band sounds sloppy and off-key to my ears, and I always end up skipping to the next track.
So that's another song that I think would benefit from the additional musicians.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Who were the guest stars at the Irvine show?
I think I remember Steve D. or David saying it was actually Dave Mason! Isn't that weird?!?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I think some of the songs ("Gypsy," "Eyes Of The World," "Don't Stop") are better served by the more "polished" approach on stage. But others, like "The Chain," "Rhiannon," "Go Your Own Way," are best when the band is left unadorned.
Well, I was really referring to the 300 piece band they had on the SYW tour. I could have done with just the 4 onstage, and an extra guitar or something.

I will NEVER forget looking at Seteca when we heard the "chicken sound" from Peacekeeper at the Dallas 2003 show! LMAO!!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar
Are you kidding? It's the best official FM concert vid out there!

Great performances of most of these songs (The Chain, SOTM, GYOW, EOTW...) and not all overdubbed to hell.

Love all Lindsey's little looks!

And they all look fantastic!

This video was the end of an era. It was the last tour before the freakin' backing band joined them, and may arguably be as raw as they got. Again, this was a band on the edge, and the video shows that.

Pah-reach it!! Best.live.Chain.evah!! I would kill to see more Tusk and Mirage era concerts in good quality.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

I would kill to see more Tusk and Mirage era concerts in good quality.

I do have a list of ppl you can knock out for me.

not really.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for posting that and so incredibly cool you got to see multiple shows back then. How many in all?
I saw all the shows in CA that year. Luckily it was a short tour.
Quote:
Who were the guest stars at the Irvine show?
They had all the gang: Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Jimmy Buffett, J.D. Souther. In fact, the joke was that Stevie was sharing the stage with four ex-lovers & one future lover: Mick, Lindsey, J.D., Don & Joe.
Quote:
Anything that really stands out (other than being there!) that you remember?
Just a great, great show. Very energetic & profound. We had no idea Robin had died until we got to the venue. On your way up, they had people there passing out little blue brochures with City of Hope information on them & Robin's picture, name & dates. On the back a picture of the band, their signatures & other details & thanks. It was a full-capacity crowd even though the show had been on sale only about two weeks (it was announced after the tour had already started & the original Los Angeles dates had been set for Oct. 4 & 5). There are pictures around the Web of Stevie & Don singing "Leather & Lace" from that night. You may have seen the pics.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I think I remember Steve D. or David saying it was actually Dave Mason! Isn't that weird?!?
He & Jim opened on acoustic guitar for the Los Angeles shows. It was last-minute. Fleetwood was supposed to play L.A. on Oct. 4 & 5 with Men at Work opening. But Stevie's walking pneumonia & other matters postponed a few weeks' worth of shows.