User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Dance version is my absolute fav...

many drunk memories to that one...

It is just a wonderful song...never get tired of it!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer the original studio version to ANY officially released live version...they seem to file down the edges in post-production. There are a few boots that kick butt...all edgy & ****. Even some bootleg live versions post-Lindsey, with Billy on vocals and Rick just soaring on the end solo are great.

But, even still, nothing does it for me like the original studio version. I still remember the first time I heard it, in October 1976...being behind the wheel of my parents' 1973 Toyota Corolla station wagon driving home from school, cruisin' north on the 405 fwy between Westminster Ave & the 22 fwy merge (going the 55 mph speed limit), when it came on the radio...after a big build-up by the DJ that they were about to debut the new Fleetwood Mac single...by Lindsey's ending solo, I had that little 4-cyl engine whining, and had that station wagon going 85 mph before I knew it.

Just as a side note: My parents finally got rid of that station wagon last summer (when they bought a Toyota Prius)...the odometer never got to 100,000 miles. I think it only had 96,000+ miles on it when they sold it.

Last edited by chiliD; 12-01-2005 at 07:32 PM..
Old 12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I prefer the original studio version to ANY officially released live version...they seem to file down the edges in post-production.
Agreed. I'm actually surprised at all the love for the Dance version; I've always been kind of bored by that recording. The studio version is just perfection, though, with Mick's drums all off-kilter, and all those different guitar tracks rising up out of the ether to create that perfect solo.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Agreed. I'm actually surprised at all the love for the Dance version; I've always been kind of bored by that recording. The studio version is just perfection, though, with Mick's drums all off-kilter, and all those different guitar tracks rising up out of the ether to create that perfect solo.
Yea...but I just have such a hard time hearing that Hammond in the studio version!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nothing beats the original. A lot of the live versions of GYOW don't blow me away. Especially the more recent ones. When Lindsey gets to the chorus and has to sing the harmony part, it's a bit of a bummer. Ya know...shows the bands age I guess. The Rosebud version is probably my favorite live version. It's nice to hear what I guess was a bit of a work in progress with the different guitar solo. I'm a sucker for the harmonic guitar solo so it gets me every time.

And may I join the other Canadian Ledgies on a quest to find the Soundstage DVD. Actually my plan was to call HMV and have them special order it for me. They're pretty good for that. I probably won't until after Christmas though. I'm hoping for a great big HMV gift certificate for Christmas.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala
Nothing beats the original. A lot of the live versions of GYOW don't blow me away. Especially the more recent ones. When Lindsey gets to the chorus and has to sing the harmony part, it's a bit of a bummer. Ya know...shows the bands age I guess. The Rosebud version is probably my favorite live version. It's nice to hear what I guess was a bit of a work in progress with the different guitar solo. I'm a sucker for the harmonic guitar solo so it gets me every time.
Rosebud is great for many reasons...but it is great to hear all of the "works in progress"!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3
Mirage Tour Video version of GYOW...just plain excellence...Lindsey really nails it...

"Tell me why, EVERYTHING TURNED AROUND...packing up, shacking up's all you wanna do...if I could, BABY I'D *GIVE* *YOU* *MY* *WORRRRLDDD*, open up, everything's waiting for YOU!"

I also enjoy Stevie's part in the last verse. It's my absolute favorite live performance of this song...just wish the last guitar solo was longer.
I love it when they do it live and Stevie sings harmony on "packin' up, shackin' up's all you wanna do!" LOVE IT.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
The Dance version is a bit adult contemporary sounding to me .
Old 12-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"GYOW" is one of the song that started my love affair with Fleetwood Mac, along with "Dreams" and "The Chain." One of my favorite versions is the Nashville, TN 1977 boot of "GYOW." It rocks!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 12-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77
"GYOW" is one of the song that started my love affair with Fleetwood Mac, along with "Dreams" and "The Chain." One of my favorite versions is the Nashville, TN 1977 boot of "GYOW." It rocks!
That bottleg is amazing on the whole. I'm gonna listen to the GYOW version now!

...Yup awesome! Rhiannon is pretty sweet from that show too.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3
Mirage Tour Video version of GYOW...just plain excellence...Lindsey really nails it...

"Tell me why, EVERYTHING TURNED AROUND...packing up, shacking up's all you wanna do...if I could, BABY I'D *GIVE* *YOU* *MY* *WORRRRLDDD*, open up, everything's waiting for YOU!"

I also enjoy Stevie's part in the last verse. It's my absolute favorite live performance of this song...just wish the last guitar solo was longer.
*Swoon*

I <333333333333333 this version of the song.

GYOW is one of the best songs of all time by anyone. Nuff said.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Count me in as another person who prefers the studio version. There's just something about it that I can't describe, and none of the live versions can quite compare.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer the studio version I still remember the first time I heard it in the 1970s in my Aunt and Uncle's rec room basement in their Upper Bucks county house.It is one of those songs that never seem to date or grow old.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song, always have & always will. I never tire of it. It pumps me up, I can't sit still.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Count me in for prefering the studio version. There's a magic there that they haven't been able to capture live since, although I think a lot of the earlier performances of the song like Rosebud and even the Mirage Tour Video come very close.

Damn you guys, now I need a GYOW fix....*runs to put in Rumours*
You're so like me