Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Other Side Of The Mirror Tour Stories

Ladies and gentleman...from the other side of the mirror....Ms. Stevie Nicks!

Here's the next tour stories thread. This one is for TOSOTM tour. If you went to this tour, please tell us your story! Anything you remember from that day.

This was the first (and last) time Stevie went to Europe for a solo tour. Where did you get to see her? How was she compared to previous tours? Anything you want to share please do.

Last edited by nailatixela; 09-13-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
Ladies and gentleman...from the other side of the mirror....Ms. Stevie Nicks!

Here's the next tour stories thread. This one is for TOSOTM tour. If you went to this tour, please tell us your story! Anything you remember from that day.

This was the first (and last) time Stevie went overseas for a solo tour, Where did you get to see her? How was she compared to previous tours? Anything you want to share please do.
I thought she went to Australia on the Crystal Visions tour or something close to that?

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick View Post
I thought she went to Australia on the Crystal Visions tour or something close to that?
She came in 2006 to Aus and Nz for her Gold Dust tour
Old 09-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The first concert I ever went to was Stevie at Wembley Arena on TOSOTM tour. At the time it was hugely exciting and enjoyable. Hearing the bootlegs years on it's pretty apparent that tour wasn't Stevie's greatest moment but I had nothing to compare it to at the time. I think I must have been the first person in my class at school to go to a rock concert though because, even though no one was a fan of FM or Stevie (a lot didn't even know who they were), I remember everyone being hugely interested in the fact I had gone to a concert.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still waiting for Stevie to come to Europe on a solo tour again. I think we were really short changed over here with the Gold Dust/Crystal Visions tour...
Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes you are right, sorry about that. I meant to say this was the first and last time solo Stevie went to Europe.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw her on this tour at Jones Beach too. This is the one that I confuse in my mind with the RAL show. Which is ridiculous, because if memory serves me, it was like night and day. I *think* I remember a lot of backstage time...enough so that it seemed obvious what she was up to. The Hooters opened up for her and they were pretty awful. Their sound was bad and I remember being worried that hers would be too. I bought an awesome sweatshirt at that show and I wish I still had it. It was white and had a black/white/gray Stevie face on it.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had tickets for Concord Pavilion the night of the Loma Prieta quake. Stevie & her band were at the Pavilion for soundcheck & makeup & all that. As everyone probably remembers, the show was canceled.

But I saw the show the following night at Cal Expo Amphitheatre (it's really just a big field on the fairgrounds) in Sacratomato. For a 1989 gig, she & her group gave a pretty good performance. She mentioned the victims of the quake (many of whom were still lying under rubble on the Nimitz Freeway) a few times throughout the night, asking us to pray for them & to contribute to the Red Cross, a booth for which had been set up on the fairgrounds.

The following year at Cal Expo, on tour with Fleetwood, Stevie introduced Landslide by saying that the year prior there had been an earthquake in the Bay Area (Stevie, are you ****tin' me?) & that her band immediately got on a bus & headed to Sacramento -- presumably where it was "safe." It was a funny comment, intended to make the Sacratomato-ites feel good.

As an amateur seismologist, I like the way that earthquakes have played such an interesting role in the doings of Fleetwood Mac members, from 1971 & Jeremy Spencer's disappearance all the way up to Mick's permanent move to Hawaii a few years ago (someone forgot to tell Mick that Hawaii is one of the most seismically active states in the country).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I saw her on this tour at Jones Beach too. This is the one that I confuse in my mind with the RAL show. Which is ridiculous, because if memory serves me, it was like night and day. I *think* I remember a lot of backstage time...enough so that it seemed obvious what she was up to. The Hooters opened up for her and they were pretty awful. Their sound was bad and I remember being worried that hers would be too. I bought an awesome sweatshirt at that show and I wish I still had it. It was white and had a black/white/gray Stevie face on it.
In the 1986, or 1989 show?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Ledgie

I saw her in Stockholm Sweden and it was awful, sorry to say.
She was there but not there, if you know what I mean.

The reviews was'nt nice to her the day after:

"...a fat frog who can't sing..."
"...such an insult to her fans..."

Richard Marx opened the show for her and I bet half of the sold out Globe was there to see him, many people left during her show.

It was a nightmare.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Stevie Nicks on The Other Side Of The Mirror Tour on Friday Sept. 8, 1989 and it was at Lake Compounce Amusement Park in Bristol, Connecticut this show is labeled as "the Famous Swearing Show" excellent show the hooters if i remember correctly were pretty good and Stevie looked and sounded great . Lake Compounce Security were pushy to the fans up front especially when stevie does the edge walk and she saw a security guard being agressive with a fan and she was yelling at him before she came to the microphone and when she finished her edge walk and went to the microphone she she said I am F____-P____ Off and apologizes about the venues security and didn't want to see her fans to get hurt and when she came back said I am F__--In Watching You and looking at the security guard first time hearing and probably the last time hearing Stevie swear at a concert torwards the venues security. I am not sure if its word for word its over 20 years ago it was my second solo stevie show but 4th concert i was 19 at the time and graduated high school that summer. This was an out doors venue with front section seating in front the stage i had an end center isle seat 18th row i believe. Stevie was mad that night at the venues security i definetly remember bough some cool shirts on that tour.It was probably close to a sold out crowd after the seated section its standing or laying on blankets probably venue can hold about 30,000 people I would say if not more this park no longer does concerts at the time it was the best place for a concert in connecticut it was outdoors no cover out in open.

Last edited by StandbackStevie; 09-13-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are a batch of interviews from that tour, including one where she talks about the earthquake.
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39868
Old 09-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
In the 1986, or 1989 show?
I seem to remember this at both, but like I said, I have a tendency to mix these shows up in my mind.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Houston Chronicle, October 9, 1989

Section: HOUSTON

Stevie Nicks generates heat

MARTY RACINE

Out of the protective shadow of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks has grown into her own performer.

Nicks' mystical, ethereal vulnerability, which added another dimension and personality to a group format - especially a group so roundly psychoanalyzed in the press - was stripped to an unnerving awkwardness when she emerged as a solo artist with the 1981 album release of "Bella Donna".

Friday night in The Summit, the will o' the wisp had become a confident, even commanding pop singer as she fronted an eight-piece group that included her two longtime backup singers, Lori Perry-Nicks and Sharon Celani.

You couldn't miss her. Nicks used the overhead key lights with the scientific precision employed by a television studio - turning her huge mass of teased hair alternately gray, blue, purple and gold - and cut a sassy figure that brought to mind such damsels as Mae West, Dolly Parton, Bette Midler and Elvira.

Subtitle the plot: "Hollywood comes to The Summit." With remote cameras whirring and whizzing all over the place, the joint often looked like a movie set. Indeed, following the concert proper, Nicks repeated "Trouble" and "Two Kinds of Love" for a "performance" video shoot sure to crop up one day on MTV.

Why, the entire proceedings were positively videogenic.

Nicks is in the middle of a long tour promoting her 4-month-old "The Other Side of the Mirror" album, her first in three years. Despite the time lapse, apparently her fans did not forget, as some 8,000 turned out - a poor figure by Fleetwood Mac standards but not bad in today's more fragmented market in which a Bob Dylan or Jackson Browne draw half that.

The band, including arch-L.A. session drummer Russ Kunkel and ace guitarist Carlos Rios, was superb. Ordinarily, a superstar fronting a bunch of L.A. smoothies results in slick but bloodless pop-rock, too cool for school. This had slickness written all over it, but the undertow was rocking, glistening in the heat generated by Nick's taut, often deliciously wicked vocals.

And, whaddya know, it was a sound that didn't push frequencies to the distortion level in order to be "loud." In other words, this band did not have to cloak deficiencies in over-the-top decibels.

Nicks naturally steered most of her program to her three solo albums, mixing in the new "Rooms on Fire" with such other personal, fragile solo works as "Stand Back, Edge of Seventeen" and "Talk To Me". A roadie told me she doesn't do "Rhiannon" much in concert anymore - despite the fact that Fleetwood Mac's most popular song of the '70s was her composition.

Nevertheless, when push came to shove and it was time to get all hot and bothered, down and bluesy, she turned to a pulsating, riveting, fire-down-below, rock-me-all-night-long "Say You Love Me", another Fleetwood chestnut and the evening's highlight.

Of course, a damsel in the spotlight cannot but help making grand exits and entrances, and after every two or three songs Nicks would submerge herself into the shadows to prolonged applause, only to re-emerge triumphantly to the intro of the next number. Following one such exit only about halfway through the show, a concertgoer next to me even thought the set was over and it was encore time.

The dramatics, though, were kept to a minimum, and the entire package was wrapped in a state of class - no better demonstrated than by Celani and Perry-Nicks, the women in red, whose body language spoke volumes about sophistication and style, as opposed to the cheap, cheesy go-go antics of most backup singers.

When it was over, Nicks had performed two full hours (before the after-concert video shoot) and demonstrated that, once the music is right, there is no substitute in live rock 'n' roll for experience.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Albany Times Union (NY), August 31, 1989

OPENING ACT LIVELIER THAN STEVIE NICKS

Martin Moynihan Staff writer

SARATOGA SPRINGS

If it's red, this must be "Rooms on Fire." Turquoise with mutton sleeves and black lace, it's "Two Kinds of Love." Black with silver applique, it's the famous "Stand Back."

With two drummers, two keyboardists, two guitarists, two backup singers and a truckload of fashion shawls, singer Stevie Nicks brought her show into town Tuesday night.

Blessed with an intriguing voice despite a not-notably great range, the former Fleetwood Mac lead singer steered her concert, which included a costume change between virtually every song, away from her impressive list of hits.

Instead, the 41-year-old Nicks worked her husky voice around the aforementioned cuts from her "Other Side of the Mirror" album. She did not perform such Fleetwood Mac hits as "Rhiannon" or "Sara," nor some of her solo hits such as "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around."

The amphitheater of the Saratoga Performing Arts Center was less than filled, and a fickle rain kept the lawn crowd thin. But crowds rose to the occasional rousing song in what otherwise was as much a fashion parade as a rock music show. "Stand Back" drew a standing ovation, as did "The Edge of 17."

Opening act the Hooters from Philadelphia offered a livelier set than the headliner. Their act showed off the band's musical versatility and willingness to do different things.

Songs about love dominated, of course, with blues and Cajun blending with driving rock.

The band's 45-minute set included hits "And We Danced" and "All You Zombies," probably the highlight of the set.

It was the Philadelphia band's debut at SPAC. They ended the set with a keyboardist Rob Hyman shouting, "Thank you Syracuse. I mean Saratoga." Doesn't matter. They'll be welcome the next time.