The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > The Ledge Boards
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
ThePenguin's Avatar
ThePenguin ThePenguin is offline
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,241
Default Moderators

As some of you old, shrewd Ledgies already know, there is a glitch in the software system that puts the "Moderator" moniker under a person's name, after administrative action has been taken. The "moderator" label stays there briefly, until corrected.

The only actual moderators of this bulletin board are Jannie, Louie and I. When that changes, I will make an official announcement and let you know when a new moderator comes aboard, just like I let you know about Louie.

If a person has been a hard combatant in a contentious, name-calling thread and suddenly, apropos to nothing, you see the word "moderator" appear under her name, that person has not been made a moderator. That person has been censured in some fashion and a software malfunction gave them a false "moderator" label (although with no accompanying moderator authority or permissions).

I was told that there was confusion about this occurrence and wanted to explain.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
ryguy2010 ryguy2010 is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
As some of you old, shrewd Ledgies already know, there is a glitch in the software system that puts the "Moderator" moniker under a person's name, after administrative action has been taken. The "moderator" label stays there briefly, until corrected.

The only actual moderators of this bulletin board are Jannie, Louie and I. When that changes, I will make an official announcement and let you know when a new moderator comes aboard, just like I let you know about Louie.

If a person has been a hard combatant in a contentious, name-calling thread and suddenly, apropos to nothing, you see the word "moderator" appear under her name, that person has not been made a moderator. That person has been censured in some fashion and a software malfunction gave them a false "moderator" label (although with no accompanying moderator authority or permissions).

I was told that there was confusion about this occurrence and wanted to explain.
Thanks Michele. Also I apologize for the album leak link but still have some confusion as to why (last time I checked that thread wasn't locked?) Would probably help others to not accidentally post a link in the future. Just a suggestion. I realized (later) that a warning was put in there but sometimes as we sift through posts things can be overlooked.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
jannieC jannieC is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,468
Default

The thread is not locked because we don't mind if people talk about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
ryguy2010 ryguy2010 is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
The thread is not locked because we don't mind if people talk about it.
Well I was referring to the one that I started titled album leak(false alarm) because if someone else misses the warning as I did it could be misconstrued as being allowed. I've seen threads locked for a lot less. But just my two cents...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
ThePenguin's Avatar
ThePenguin ThePenguin is offline
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy2010 View Post
Well I was referring to the one that I started titled album leak(false alarm) because if someone else misses the warning as I did it could be misconstrued as being allowed. I've seen threads locked for a lot less. But just my two cents...
The warning was not just contained in that thread. It's part of the FAQ for the entire Bulletin Board and has always been part of the FAQ. You don't post links to commercially available material or material that is soon to be commercially available. I see no need to lock threads to keep people from breaking that rule.

We have many reasons for locking threads and didn't care to do so in this instance. I don't think there's anything confusing about it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 6,215
Default

Look, I understand why people's usernames can't just be changed. If somebody chose a Stevie/Mac song for their username, they have to live with it.

When I chose my username years ago, I had no idea about my birth parents or their family. I didn't until about two years ago, and when I met them, I finally felt at peace with almost everything in my world.

Having to go by "SteveMacD" is actually VERY insulting to me. I haven't seen another MacDougall since Grandmother MacDougall's funeral in 2004, and I don't think I'll see anybody in the near future. I've since adopted the last name of my birth father, and that's Hopkins.

I KNOW names can be changed on forums like this (I've seen it done many times), and I understand your concerns about people changing their names. However, I was some variant of Steve MacDougall (Smacdoug or SteveMacD) since 1995, because I wanted people to know they were talking to somebody real, not just another username. I've NEVER hid behind some miscellaneous name tied to the band EVER. HAVING to keep anything related to THAT name is highly insulting and offensive to me. There's a reason I went through the trouble (at about $500 expense) to change diplomas, driver's license, Social Security Card, birth certificates, etc., to change my name. Again, I understand the "you changed HIS name, why not mine?" argument, but mine is a very, VERY different and unique case. AND, I'm not asking for a new username that isn't based on my current name.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved