The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Ledgie

Default Was 24 Karat Gold Really A Flop?

I've heard a bunch of people say that 24 Karat Gold was a flop when it came out and even Stevie alludes to this. Is that true? From what I've seen it seemed to be far from a flop. Not a huge hit, but pretty good for an older artist. Does anyone know the sales figures? I know it charted at number nine.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

James89 is expert on sales figures in these forums. I think worldwide sales were around 150000 which does not count as a flop at all, these days.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post
I've heard a bunch of people say that 24 Karat Gold was a flop when it came out and even Stevie alludes to this. Is that true? From what I've seen it seemed to be far from a flop. Not a huge hit, but pretty good for an older artist. Does anyone know the sales figures? I know it charted at number nine.
What constitutes a flop these days? We are living in the time of free downloading. There is no telling how many sales were lost due to people just downloading it (for free) without buying it.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Music does not sell like it used to. The album was not a flop. Stevie has made more money off the tour supporting the album than she probably has at any other time in her life. She is laughing at the bank if anyone would call 24K Gold a flop.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
What constitutes a flop these days? We are living in the time of free downloading. There is no telling how many sales were lost due to people just downloading it (for free) without buying it.
Wasn't the "time of free downloading" 17-18 years ago? Most people are listening via streaming apps like Spotify.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be awesome if someone could post sales of 24 Karat Gold. As for whether the album was a flop, I guess there are a number of factors, such as:

1) How much did it actually sell

2) Were there any hit singles

3) How high did it rank on Billboard AND how long was it on the charts

4) Did any song get radio airplay

5) How did sales compare to previous releases

I know the tour did very well, but that doesn't really reflect on whether the album was a hit or a flop. From what I understand, the tour (which took place nearly a year after the album was released) didn't impact sales of the album- that is, the album never re-entered Billboard's chart, even during the tour.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It would be awesome if someone could post sales of 24 Karat Gold. As for whether the album was a flop, I guess there are a number of factors, such as:

1) How much did it actually sell

2) Were there any hit singles

3) How high did it rank on Billboard AND how long was it on the charts

4) Did any song get radio airplay

5) How did sales compare to previous releases

I know the tour did very well, but that doesn't really reflect on whether the album was a hit or a flop. From what I understand, the tour (which took place nearly a year after the album was released) didn't impact sales of the album- that is, the album never re-entered Billboard's chart, even during the tour.
I don't know numbers but based on this criteria I would consider it a flop, i.e. no hit singles or airplay and sales were probably significantly lower than previous releases. By Stevie's standards, as in, compared to her previous sales, this was probably a flop.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Earth to some on this board:
Mainstream radio is never going to play any new song from Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac. Not going to happen... ever. Not going to ever have a hit single no matter how good it is. It may sound harsh but its the truth and reality. By some of the standards on this board we would never get new music for fear of calling it a flop or no hit singles.
This is not the 1980's. If any new music has over 100k buyers, I don't think you can call it a flop no matter any airplay or music videos, etc.
But its just a horrible standard to lay on Stevie, Christine, Lindsey or the Mac. Thank goodness they are not afraid of making new music because they realize they wont get any airplay. Really. Thank goodness!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The tour was two years after the album release.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
And to this point, for the life of me, I can not understand why copies of the CD are not offered for sale at the merchandise table during the concerts. The whole point of tours in the big picture is to promote the album. Past or present. The name of the tour is 24 Karat Gold. She plays songs from the album, tells stories about the writing so have the CD available. You have so much other product there, why not the vinyl or CD? I don't get it. Even 1 sold is money in the bank and helps the charting, and the industry as a whole. It's just a win-win for everyone. Don't have people going, I like the new songs she played but ask where is the CD at the merchandise table.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post
And to this point, for the life of me, I can not understand why copies of the CD are not offered for sale at the merchandise table during the concerts. The whole point of tours in the big picture is to promote the album. Past or present. The name of the tour is 24 Karat Gold. She plays songs from the album, tells stories about the writing so have the CD available. You have so much other product there, why not the vinyl or CD? I don't get it. Even 1 sold is money in the bank and helps the charting, and the industry as a whole. It's just a win-win for everyone. Don't have people going, I like the new songs she played but ask where is the CD at the merchandise table.
People didn't go to the 'Stevie Nicks 24 Karat Gold Tour' for the '24 Karat Gold' part. They went for the 'Stevie Nicks' part. Most of these people are not die-hard fans. They probably thought 24 Karat Gold was just the name of the tour, rather than an actual album. They went to see Stevie Nicks in all her witchy shawl twirling glory, singing Rhiannon and all her classic hits. They don't care about new music.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I used to ask this same question all the time, especially when most other acts do sell their CD's at their concerts. But I went to two 24K shows and both of them had the CD for sale with the other merchandise.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
At all four shows I went to on the 24 Karat tour, they had both the CD and the vinyl album for sale at all of the merchandise tables.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Wasn't the "time of free downloading" 17-18 years ago? Most people are listening via streaming apps like Spotify.

While streaming is certainly popular these days, there are still many sites/torrents/programs that allow you to download for free which have millions of users. Are there any major popular free downloading programs like the old Napster? No but there still are a handful which boasts many, many users. As long as MP3's and the like can be obtained for free we are still in the age of digitial free downloading IMO.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post
I know it charted at number nine.
On the U.S. album chart, it hit No. 7.