Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
I think Lincoln is just bad luck.
Isn't this where Danny Kirwan had his meltdown?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of the comments on the bands Facebook page were horrible.
I guess there are heartless soulless assholes everywhere - even in Nebraska.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Some of the comments on the bands Facebook page were horrible.
I guess there are heartless soulless assholes everywhere - even in Nebraska.
Your right. The mentality that it is "all about me" never ceases to amaze me. They should be thankful they even played. Honestly, even with cutting it short, they still played as long if not longer than some of the other headlining acts on the concert circuit I've seen the past few years.

Good grief, I can understand being disappointed, but some compassion please. The man is obviously very sick and I'm glad there is much support and well wishes for his recovery from this illness.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottabam View Post
Thanks for posting that! He did a great job filling in on that short notice.

Hope Mick is improving.
Yes, his drum tech did a great job and Mick would have been proud that the rest of the band did such a great job to carry on with these two songs. While I'm sure many were disappointed, this was quite a gift to the fans given how awful everyone must have felt to see Mick so ill. I hope he has a full and speedy recovery. Perhaps this unfortunate episode will be the much-needed catalyst that will finally unite everyone in the band to record that album sooner than later.

Here's another video from the concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbQ5dHysPe0

Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes that's probably true but she is trying to calm the audience down. If I was there I would be grateful I got to hear half a show instead of cancelling altogether. I cant believe he went on to play being so sick.
me either… especially if he was throwing up during the previous night's show!

Gives me a chill though, about how mercenary this band can be… reminds me of the stories of when Lindsey first had his epileptic seizures and was convulsing on the floor in his hotel room and the rest of the band was only concerned with not missing that night's show and thus not wanting to send for an ambulance or dr who might potentially say he was unfit to play the gig. Cold, man. I know we'd all like to think times have changed, but…..clearly they shouldn't have done this gig with him in the shape he was in in St Paul. I'm sure the thought was, get some rest, tough it out thru Lincoln, and then we have a few days off to rest. Well sometimes your body needs the rest when it needs it for health reasons, not when it's convenient for business reasons. Not that I don't think Mick was part of the mindset to "just play on" at Lincoln… but really, someone in the band or their management should have had some more sense.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

band pow-wow on what to do caught on video, embedded below. many fans on social media are saying how this shows their insistence on the setlist set-in-stone has come back to haunt them.

if they improvised a bit, replaced a few songs by some they could do without drums or with light drums, people would leave happy that they got something different instead of demanding a refund (although, saying "i only got 2 out of 3 hr show so want a refund" is kinda ridiculous. many bands play that short to begin with). but they could have easily done acoustic Gypsy (didn't SN just do it for something or other?), Bleed To Love Her LB has been doing alone on his last tour with some ad-hoc harmonizing from CM and SN (plus just on Monday LB performed at that Judd Apatow charity show completely alone, without even guitar tech and sound guy so you know he is perfectly capable of whipping out a few songs or accompanying others), Say Goodbye they've been doing whole last year, Don't Stop is easy and i'm sure Christine has a few songs she can do on the spot just accompanying herself, without much drums. if Mick was sick for the last 24 hours, it seems a bit weird that they didn't think through any back-up plan.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Ledgie

Default Official statement posted on their Facebook page

Official Statement from Fleetwood Mac regarding last night's show:

"Last night's Fleetwood Mac show in Lincoln, Nebraska ended a few songs early when the band's founder and drummer Mick Fleetwood became ill with the stomach flu. At this time, the band is still scheduled to perform in Grand Rapids, MI on Tuesday."
Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Posted by Richard Dashut on twitter 15 min ago:

I can now report that Mick apparently had a bad stomach virus and was taken to the hospital last night for observation. He will be fine and the illness has apparently run it’s course. This is great news for all of us, as we look forward to seeing Mick back on the drum riser as soon as possible. Please feel better Mick, from all of us Punters on this blog, we love you!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

I can now report that Mick apparently had a bad stomach virus and was taken to the hospital last night for observation. He will be fine and the illness has apparently run it’s course. This is great news for all of us, as we look forward to seeing Mick back on the drum riser as soon as possible. Please feel better Mick, from all of us Punters on this blog, we love you!
Stomach virus.I've been through those.He's got a couple days to relax before the next show.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

glad it's just a stomach virus. but can't believe he drummed 2 shows with it!! people are usually completely incapacitated for at least 24 hrs with these things, not even able to talk let alone perform something as physical.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have liked to have been at that show. Very interesting. I like to watch them during the unexpected and the way they interact with each other.

Michele
Old 01-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://journalstar.com/entertainment...68648fc3d.html

By L. Kent Wolgamott | Lincoln Journal Star, January 18, 2015

Midway through Fleetwood Mac’s Pinnacle Bank Arena concert Saturday night, drummer Mick Fleetwood suddenly became ill.

“Mick is really sick,” Stevie Nicks told the crowd, adding that Fleetwood was backstage throwing up. “We feel terrible, but we can’t really make him play. Give us a minute, and we’ll figure out what to do.”

That turned out to be playing two more songs.

A drum tech named Steve took over Fleetwood’s kit for “Go Your Own Way,” which is usually the song the band plays before two encores.

Then, after a short break, Christine McVie returned to the stage at a grand piano, playing and singing “Songbird” accompanied by guitarist Lindsey Buckingham.

“Poor old Mick is really sick,” McVie said. “I sing this for him and for all of you.”

“Songbird” has been the final song on the band’s “On With the Show” tour, usually capping a 2½ hour show. Saturday’s truncated set ran just over 90 minutes.

“In all of our 40 years, this has never happened,” Nicks said.

Prior to the abrupt ending, Fleetwood Mac had pumped out 14 songs, all familiar to the 14,000-plus that packed the arena Saturday -- and sounded and looked good doing it.

Saturday's show was the second of 2015 for Fleetwood Mac and the 41st of 80 total dates on the "On With the Show" tour. That meant a fresh Mac, but one already tightened by 41 previous shows. And it is a complete band, thanks to the return of McVie, who came back to the group last year after a 16-year absence.

Her songs, "You Make Loving Fun,” “Everywhere” and “Say You Love Me" were highlights simply because they hadn't been heard live for years.

And she can still sing -- as can Nicks and Buckingham. Some of the songs have been dropped in key. But that didn't change the fact that the Mac -- now in their mid-60s to early 70s -- remains a fine band.

Perhaps evidence of how quickly Fleetwood’s illness hit him, I twice noted his solid drumming in my notes and the tightness of his work with bassist John McVie.

The show began with “The Chain,” “You Make Loving Fun” and “Dreams,” the song of the night that features Nicks, the biggest star in the Mac constellation. She, of course, connected with “Rhiannon,” doing one of her shawl dances while effectively delivering the witchy lyrics with her rough, seductive vocals.

The University of Nebraska marching band didn't turn up for "Tusk.” But Fleetwood Mac still rumbled and roared with Christine McVie strapping on an accordion to add to the crowd-pleasing stomp.

"Tusk" and its follow-up, "Sisters of the Moon," were among the loudest songs of a show that, while far from ear-splitting, was louder than I anticipated -- a good thing.

A good percentage of Saturday's crowd would have been little kids or, in Buckingham's words "not even born yet" during Fleetwood Mac's mid-'70s heyday.

"We're pulling in all ages. I love it. We must have done something right," Buckingham said before doing "Big Love" solo, demonstrating he's a wicked guitarist on a hollow-body electric.

He then switched to acoustic and was joined by Nicks for a touching version of "Landslide" that she dedicated to one of her best friends, Lisa, who she said is from "this amazing city" and must be hurting. "Lisa, all the people in this room are sending you love, every one of them," she said at the song”s end.

Buckingham then did a solo version of “Never Going Back Again” using the acoustic. Then came Nicks’ announcement of Fleetwood’s illness.

During her announcement, she said that Fleetwood Mac would return and do a show and a half, but that is unlikely, as are refunds for the shortened concert.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
band pow-wow on what to do caught on video, embedded below. many fans on social media are saying how this shows their insistence on the setlist set-in-stone has come back to haunt them.

if they improvised a bit, replaced a few songs by some they could do without drums or with light drums, people would leave happy that they got something different instead of demanding a refund (although, saying "i only got 2 out of 3 hr show so want a refund" is kinda ridiculous. many bands play that short to begin with). but they could have easily done acoustic Gypsy (didn't SN just do it for something or other?), Bleed To Love Her LB has been doing alone on his last tour with some ad-hoc harmonizing from CM and SN (plus just on Monday LB performed at that Judd Apatow charity show completely alone, without even guitar tech and sound guy so you know he is perfectly capable of whipping out a few songs or accompanying others), Say Goodbye they've been doing whole last year, Don't Stop is easy and i'm sure Christine has a few songs she can do on the spot just accompanying herself, without much drums. if Mick was sick for the last 24 hours, it seems a bit weird that they didn't think through any back-up plan.
Are you kidding me? Backup plan? Its obvious that even though he was sick, he tried to make it through the show. It would have been easy to just cancel and move on. The tour is sold out everywhere and they would not even blink to miss one show. You don't replace key members of a band as some "back up plan." If Stevie is sick, should they bring a look alike who sings her songs? Of course not!
Extremely rare for a sub to come on stage to extend the concert by another song. Fleetwood Mac should be commended. I cant think of any band that went to such great lengths to put on a show.
Kudos to the audience for no booos.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, it's amazing the strain that even a common cold (and a hacking cough) can put on your body, if you're in a weakened state. Flu dehydration can be a very serious thing too. I can't even imagine drumming for 2.5 hours or engaging in other strenuous activity when I was suffering these symptoms.

I laughed at Stevie saying that they can't make him play. Why not? Just bully that dude.

Interesting that Stevie opted not to give her closing speech to the audience, without Mick being there to come after.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 01-18-2015 at 04:08 PM..
Old 01-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac forced to end Lincoln show early

By Ken Coffey, World Herald Staff, January 18, 2015

http://www.omaha.com/go/fleetwood-ma...16cce3e0b.html

LINCOLN — Fleetwood Mac may sound unstoppable, but the band can be halted.

On Saturday, the classic rock band had to call it a night early when drummer and founding member Mick Fleetwood came down with an unexplained illness.

In front of thousands packed into a sold-out Pinnacle Bank Arena, the band played as long as it could before throwing in the towel.

“Mick is really sick. We don’t know exactly what to do,” Stevie Nicks said, adding that Fleetwood suddenly became ill and was throwing up backstage.

Set to play more than two hours, Fleetwood Mac cut its set short by eight of its planned 24 songs and finished almost an hour early with “Go Your Own Way” and “Songbird,” and they had to call on a drum tech to get behind the kit to finish.

“We’re so sorry,” Nicks said. “In all of our 40 years, this has never happened.”

“It’s really unfortunate,” Lindsey Buckingham added. “We’re really sorry, guys.”

Despite calling Saturday's show in Lincoln early, Fleetwood Mac is planning to perform its next concert as scheduled.

A statement from the band said Fleetwood caught the stomach flu.

Despite having to skip songs such as “Little Lies” and “Don’t Stop,” Fleetwood Mac managed to play nearly 90 minutes, which is as much or more than most headliners.

Some of these songs are simply burned into our brains. Fleetwood Mac’s music is so pervasive that the notes of “Rhiannon,” the voices in “Chain” or the chorus of “Go Your Own Way” may be more familiar than the fact that they’re by the superstar band.

Those songs and the five classic members of the classic rock band are what thousands turned out to hear.

Full of raw excitement, the thousands of all-ages rock fans had a buzz about them not unlike teenagers waiting to hear One Direction.

No one seemed more excited than the members of Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham let out a gratifying yelp upon taking the stage hand-in-hand with Nicks. Fleetwood initially beat his drums like they were calling him names. Nicks danced with Christine McVie and John McVie during “Tusk,” all of them laughing.

Though I’m sure the shows are a nice payday, it’s a band that clearly has a passion for performing these songs possibly more than the audience had a passion for hearing them.

Christine McVie, back with the Mac for the first time since 1998, led the band through the beautiful harmonies of “The Chain.” It’s good to have her back considering her songs, such as “You Make Loving Fun” and “Everywhere,” are some of the biggest and best the band has in its catalog.

“Thanks to the members of Fleetwood Mac, who I adore and love, for letting me come back and do this again,” she said.

The combination of Buckingham and Nicks was, as always, the highlight of the night. As Buckingham finger-picked the guitar jam “I Know I’m Not Wrong,” Nicks twirled around with her scarves. They smiled and winked while playing “Seven Wonders,” and they were swarmed with a low hum of voices from the audience during “Landslide.”

The famous tune about changing and getting older came during an acoustic interlude that included “Big Love” and “Never Going Back.” The trio of songs came as the band scrambled to figure out what to do without Fleetwood before deciding to call it a night.

“We will come back. You’ll get one and a half full-on shows,” Nicks told the audience. “We will come back. We’re so sorry.”

The band finished the concert by calling on a drum tech to fill in for "Go Your Own Way" before finishing with "Songbird."