User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
How about songs that aren't nearly as deep as he tries to make them out to be in his descriptions/intros of them? Such as...

GOS
My Little Demon
Oh, I think GOS is deep. But of course, that's not due to him. Still, it was genius the way he uses it and it fits into the overall theme of his album so brilliantly. I find it very intricate and complex.

MLD, not deep, but between the slower demo and the Dance song, I see it having both a professional and a personal meaning and I think it says more than I might have thought it did on the surface.

Michele
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default anti-love songs

maybe we can list lindsey's anti-love songs like What makes you think you're the one?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...Love-Song-list
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You could go crazy dissecting Lindsey's songs into different catagories! I really enjoyed just seeing a list of all of his songs. I have a peculiar fetish for lists.

Just a few days ago I made I list of all of Stevie's songs. It's sort of a meditative/mental/memory practice for me. I've done it for years with all Fleetwood Mac songs and related solo work. I waste a lot of paper.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
You could go crazy dissecting Lindsey's songs into different catagories! I really enjoyed just seeing a list of all of his songs. I have a peculiar fetish for lists.
yeah, i was actually surprised how much i enjoyed seeing them all in one place after compiling the list too (guess some are missing plus there are still all those unreleased songs from GOS sessions but still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Just a few days ago I made I list of all of Stevie's songs. It's sort of a meditative/mental/memory practice for me. I've done it for years with all Fleetwood Mac songs and related solo work. I waste a lot of paper.
guess that's nice thing about computers...no paper waste plus i pasted them all in excel so i could add and delete, sort and filter however i felt like
Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the anti-love list, though.

What Makes You Think You're The One
That's Enough For Me (could be interpreted both ways)
I Must Go
Go Your Own Way
Never Going Back Again
Not That Funny
On The Wrong Side

Maybe I am taking liberties with some of these.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default personal growth / reflection song list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Well, for starters, the first thing that struck me was that a good number of his songs don't fall into any of the three categories you mentioned, but rather, reflection and personal growth and/or self assessment? The following, for example...

Bel Air Rain
Cast Away Dreams
Countdown
Doing What I Can
Don't Look Down
End Of Time
Flying Down Juniper
Gift Of Screws
Not Too Late
Rock Away Blind
Seeds We Sow
Soul Drifter
Spoken Introduction/Surrender The Rain
Street Of Dreams
Time Precious Time
Turn It On
Underground
You Do Or You Don't
any songs we should take off this list?

which ones should be added on?

should songs like Walk A Thin Line, although more of a desperation than growth song (and some of his other reflective Tusk songs too - he was definitely not that much into personal growth at the time yet), go on this list?

should any of the following songs be considered:

Empire State (Buckingham, Richard Dashut) ????
Family Man (Buckingham, Richard Dashut)
I'm So Afraid
That's All For Everyone
The Ledge
Walk A Thin Line
World Turning (Buckingham, C. McVie) ??
Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Just an aside: those songs he "re-worked" are so Lindsey that the originals wish they could but they can't.

Wow, what a range in quality with those Buckingham/Dashut songs. I wonder how large a role Richard played in all of these.
yes, i was stunned too when i saw the list. but it can be clearly divided to the Mirage era songs and OOTC era songs - maybe it depended on the drug of choice they were taking at the time?

also, seems that in some of these songs Richard just co-wrote the lyrics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
this makes me wonder... how close are he and Richard anymore these days?
good question... no idea. do they even live in the same city these days?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if it was the UTS or GOS tour, but I was at a show when Richard and Steve were in the audience. They had been there two nights in a row. Lindsey said they were his partners in crime and partially to blame for what he's done.

Michele
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i'm looking at the results of polls we have ongoing so far, and thinking that i would like to take as poll winners songs that have at least 2 votes more than the runner-up song. if there are 2 or 3 songs with exact same number of votes, or the winning song has just 1 vote more than the 2nd song, i'm thinking of taking both songs into the next round (whatever the next round will be ). kind of like some weird version of tennis rules i guess - you can't go to another round unless you have 2pt advantage...

also, some overlap between songs in the first round can be easily anticipated, as e.g., co-written songs may fall into any of the categories we are currently discussing - anti-love, reflection, love, angry, lust, political, whatever...

i'm looking through the list below and bolding any songs we have in the polls so far, just to get a feeling how many are already included. also underlining songs we are discussing for anti-love poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
several of us are thinking of putting together some different polls for LB's songs, so to start we compiled 2 lists of his released songs, in alphabetical order -

- solo songs (>68 songs if we don't count FM songs that he also released solo as live versions)
- mac songs (>34 songs).

these lists are compiled from the songs available for dl on amazon, so we are missing some (like b-sides)... which ones are missing here?

we are thinking of doing a separate poll of
- LB's angry songs
- LB's love songs
- LB's anti-love songs
- LB's lust songs
- LB's political songs
- covers
- co-writes and "co-writes"
- LB's self-reflection/personal growth songs

- other ways to group these songs?

any suggestions?

LB solo song list:
All My Sorrows (cover - The Kingston Trio)
Bang The Drum
Bel Air Rain
Bwana
Cast Away Dreams
Countdown
D.W. Suite
Did You Miss Me (Buckingham, Kristen Buckingham)
Doing What I Can
Don't Look Down
Down On Rodeo
End Of Time
Flying Down Juniper
Gift Of Screws
Go Insane
Gone Too Far
Great Day (Buckingham, Will Buckingham)
Holiday Road
I Am Waiting (cover)
I Must Go
I Want You (Buckingham, Fordyce)
I'll Tell You Now
Illumination
In Our Own Time
It Was I (cover - Gary Paxton)
It Was You
Johnny Stew
Love From Here, Love From There
Love Runs Deeper (Buckingham, Kristen Buckingham)
Loving Cup
Mary Lee Jones
Not Too Late
On The Wrong Side
One Take
Play In The Rain
Rock Away Blind
Satisfied Mind (cover - Red Hayes, Jack Rhodes)
Say We'll Meet Again (Buckingham, Robert Aguirre)
Seeds We Sow
September Song (cover - Maxwell Anderson, Kurt Weill)
Shadow Of The West
She Smiled Sweetly (cover)
Show You How
Shut Us Down (Cory Sipper/Buckingham)
Sleeping Around the Corner
Slow Dancing
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
Soul Drifter
Stars Are Crazy (Lisa Dewey/Buckingham)
Street Of Dreams (Buckingham, Dashut)
Surrender The Rain / Spoken Introduction (Buckingham, Dashut)
That's How We Do It In L.A.
That's The Way Love Goes
The Right Place To Fade
This Is The Time (Buckingham, Dashut)
This Nearly Was Mine [Instrumental] (Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein)
Time Bomb Town
Time Precious Time
To Try For The Sun (Donovan cover - this is extensively reworked as much as Dewey song)
Treason
Trouble
Turn It On (Buckingham, Dashut)
Under The Skin
Underground
Wait For You
When She Comes Down
Wrong (Buckingham, Richard Dashut)
You Do Or You Don't (Buckingham, Dashut)

LB FM song list (including the ones he co-wrote with Christine; excluding The Chain):
Big Love
Bleed To Love Her
Blue Letter (cover - Rick Curtis, Mike Curtis)
Book Of Love (Buckingham, Richard Dashut)
Can't Go Back
Caroline
Come (Buckingham/Neale Heywood)
Cool Water (cover)
Empire State (Buckingham, Richard Dashut)
Eyes Of The World
Family Man (Buckingham, Richard Dashut)
GYOW
I Know I'm Not Wrong
I'm So Afraid
Isn't It Midnight (C. McVie, Buckingham) - probably shouldn't count
Love Minus Zero/No Limit (Dylan cover with changed guitar parts)
Miranda
Mystified (C. McVie, Buckingham) - probably shouldn't count
Monday Morning
Murrow
My Little Demon
NGBA
Not That Funny
Oh Diane (Buckingham, Richard Dashut)
Peacekeeper
Red Rover
Save Me A Place
Say Goodbye
SHN
Steal Your Heart Away
Tango In The Night
That's All For Everyone
That's Enough For Me
The Ledge
Tusk
Walk A Thin Line
What Makes You Think You're The One
What's The World Coming To (Julian Raymond/Buckingham)
World Turning (Buckingham, C. McVie)
You And I, Part I
You And I, Part II (Buckingham, C. McVie)

EDIT: i plan to add the songs and song groupings to this post as people are suggesting them.
then there are also 2 BN polls, songs from which were not initially listed above. and we'll have to think where Django and Stephanie will fit (since i forgot Django when doing the poll of covers).

Last edited by elle; 02-20-2012 at 09:16 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Miscellaneous Thoughts

I always thought "Wrong" was a really angry song, perhaps his angriest since "Not That Funny."

I am somewhat amazed that lesser known artists (such as Cory Sipper) get "co-writer" credit when it is basically a cover. Meanwhile, LB takes no song writing credit when he covers Bob Dylan or Donovan even though the amount of changes are very similar. LB had more input and influence on the Stevie Nicks songs than he had on "Stars" or "Shut Us Down" (by my untrained ear) and yet takes no songwriting credit (especially the Tango era). However, I am sure that the lesser known artists get $ and some recognition, so it has to be a "win" or them in the long run.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
also, seems that in some of these songs Richard just co-wrote the lyrics...

good question... no idea. do they even live in the same city these days?
I think Richard lives in Vegas now. Seems like I remember during the SYW tour reading a Vegas review that they dedicated a song to him and mentioned he was getting married.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I think Richard lives in Vegas now. Seems like I remember during the SYW tour reading a Vegas review that they dedicated a song to him and mentioned he was getting married.
These are my reviews from the Luxor in 2007. Richard was at both shows.
http://www.fmlegacy.com/main.html

Richard Dashut in the house!

I hadn’t read any reviews from the 2nd leg of Lindsey’s tour and no news is good news right? So, I went to the concert hoping that maybe something might have been added from OOTC. No such luck.

The setlist was the same as last year, with Save Me a Place and Bleed to Love Her as the closing songs. Lindsey is still in fine voice and hasn't lost an ounce of the energy exhibited in earlier shows. Little has changed since the other shows I reviewed. I think Go Insane and ISA may have even been more stirring tonight than usual.

The more interviews I’ve been reading, the more I realize how unhappy Lindsey was with the OOTC tour. That’s something I’d never known about all these years. I’d always realized he’d lost money on the tour, but I didn’t suspect that so many of the venues themselves seem to provide a disappointing memory for him. Well, only time will tell, but this tour around Lindsey seems really happy with the set, the venues and the reception he's been getting. To show it, he came out smiling from the beginning.

During the first shows, he started the opening songs looking very serious. Just a few months ago, during Not Too Late, Lindsey almost reminded me of a classical performer, concentrating only on the technique, focused intently on his strings. But tonight, he came out smiling and looking somehow lighthearted from the beginning. The mood of the opening notes was quiet, but his spirit seemed to be soaring even early on.

As he changed guitars, I saw that Ray Lindsey was no longer there as his assistant.

As the night heated up and the songs got more raucous, Lindsey responded to the men and the women yelling cat calls at him. They said, “we love you. You’re so sexy. You’re the man.” He cocked his head, laughed, raised an eyebrow in mock surprise. Acknowledging some of the amorous solicitations, Neale said, “What happens in Vegas . . .”

When people scream that they love Lindsey, Neale wonders, “What’s not to love?” Indeed.

The new songs had the normal introductions. For UTS Lindsey said it was written for someone who he has known a long time, who seemed to be having trouble moving from step A to step B. He said that he thinks everything you need to advance is inside of you, “under the skin.”

I noticed that he was playful on Tusk, stretching and repeating lyrics, “just tell me that you love me. Telllll me.”

He is more playful still on Holiday Road, when he gets to the woof, woof parts and chants, “Bark like a dog” into the mic several times, urging, “bark for me. Bark for me.” I don’t know. It’s starting to sound somewhat illicit. Afterwards, he asks, “Did we gain or lose dignity?”

Before he introduced the band, he pointed out that he had collaborators on Holiday Road who are in the audience tonight. Richard Dashut and Steve Ross. He has them stand up. He said they’d gone a long way together [all told, Lindsey lived with Richard longer than he’d lived with Stevie] and he hadn’t seen them in a long time. He’s thrilled that they’re there and he chides them, “It’s your fault I’m up here.”

Man, it makes me feel teary because I feel I know Richard. Many of the Fleetwood Mac comrades are anonymous to us fans, but I’ve seen so much footage of Richard that I consider him one of the gang. I miss him. I think of the pie fight footage and of the song “Ricky” very often and always with fondness. Warner Bros. seems to be insisting that Lindsey have a producer on his next album. Well who better than Richard, assuming they're still on warm terms. They certainly both looked more than friendly tonight.

Lindsey goes on to introduce the band. He asks Neale if he’s ok. He says that Neale seems to have been having trouble all night and wonders, “Have you been imbibing?” When he introduces Taku, he doesn’t say anything about either keeping or losing him for the rest of the tour as he was doing last year. So, I suppose Taku’s continued presence is a done deal.

Before introducing Brett, he goes over to him and they exchange whispers. From the other side Neale says, “oh no. This can’t be good.” Lindsey seems to be asking Brett whether he has permission to say something or not. I don’t know what Brett’s answer is, but Lindsey then wonders if he should give the audience Brett’s room number. He makes a few jokes about Brett’s love life and Brett says, “Lindsey you’re using your outside voice. You’re going to get me in trouble.”

When it’s time for the encore, Lindsey and Neale confer as if Lindsey doesn’t know what he’s going to do next. Oh brother, who are they kidding? Lindsey asks Neale to speak up. So Neale squeaks, “Save me, save me” sounding a little like the insect with a man’s head in the movie, “The Fly.” That’s the band’s cue to regroup to perform SMAP.

As the band bows together and the others prepare to leave the stage, Brett gestures that there will be one more song, leaving Lindsey alone for Bleed to Love Her.

When the show started, they told us not to approach the stage. However at the end of I’m So Afraid, one woman went up to stand in front of Lindsey. After that, dozens got out of their seats and crowded in front of the stage. The Luxor security staff seemed to consist of only 2 people: a timid woman and an elderly man. They made no effort to shepherd people back to their seats. I did notice that at this concert and all of the others I’ve attended, the one thing they do like to crack down is the photos. Even at the end of the show, when security generally becomes lax, they still come up to people and tell them to put their cameras away. I wonder if this is a restriction that Lindsey’s people like to enforce, since I don’t see it done quite this way at other concerts. Usually, they start off telling you no cameras, but during the last half hour of the event, no one cares too much anymore.

Ah well, even though I miss a lot of photo opportunities myself, I know there’s always someone on the internet who has captured Lindsey in all of his glory. That will be something to hold on to when this long-awaited Lindsey odyssey comes to its end.

http://www.fmlegacy.com/main.html [excerpted]

Lindsey introduces Richard Dashut and Steve Ross in the audience again tonight. He asks them to stand and they are farther back than they were on Friday. Lindsey says, “I see you got the cheap seats tonight.” He points out that they were his co-conspirators on Holiday Road. Curran is right about Richard being a link to FM’s history. I think of him all the way back when long before Mick made that fateful New Year’s Eve call, all the way back when Stevie wanted to record bird sounds in the park.

After prompting from Neale, Lindsey announces to Richard that the "calamari in the wallet" thing didn't go over too well and explains that it is an inside joke.

Of Taku Lindsey says that he started as a percussionist, but they’ve asked him to do things that he’s never done before. Taku makes the “woof woof” sound as an example of something he hadn’t done before joining their band. Lindsey says, “that’s just the beginning. That’s just scratching the surface.”

As Lindsey introduces Brett, Brett starts banging the piano with his elbow (something he used to do during Don’t Stop, an antic which I don’t particularly like). Lindsey says, “Didn’t Dave Clark used to do that?” Then, he and Brett start bantering back and forth and Lindsey declares that Brett has made Lindsey lose his pace. Now that they are off the subject at hand, he turns back to Neale and says, “Do you have anything else to say?” Neale says, “I like Stephen King, walks on the beach and sunsets.”

Lindsey turns back to Brett and finishes introducing him. He muses that Brett will probably announce his room number later that evening. Brett says that they have been up for 3 straight days and wants clarification that what happens in Vegas really does stay in Vegas.

Then, as Brett espouses about how wonderful it is to work with Lindsey, Lindsey walks behind him and lays on the floor behind a pair of speakers. Brett explains that Lindsey hates that part of the show and lures him back out. Lindsey says that he hid because he just can’t stand to take a compliment. Oh please! Brett wasn’t introducing Lindsey when the tour started. He began doing it in the middle of the tour and keeps it up to this day. I can only assume that Lindsey forces Brett to praise him, as a condition of Brett’s continued employment.

The encores are SMAP and BTLH. One woman at the foot of the stage asks Lindsey to sing something else and he responds, “We can’t do that tonight. But we’ll do it during the next leg of the tour. Do you promise you’ll be there?” I didn’t hear the lady’s answer, but I promise that I’ll be there!

Leaving Las Vegas . . .
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Thanks, Michele. That was great!

Poll suggestions

LB instrumentals:

Stephanie
Django
Teen Beat - (Dashut co-write)
This Nearly Was Mine (Hammerstein II and Rodgers)

And, then there are the "introductions" - instrumental:

Instrumental Introduction to Don't Look Down
Instrumental Introduction to This Is the Time

And spoken:
Spoken Introduction to Surrender the Rain
Poem Recitation/Introduction to Go Insane live ("Sardonic Poem")

I may have forgotten some instrumentals.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
^Thanks, Michele. That was great!

Poll suggestions

LB instrumentals:

Stephanie
Django
Teen Beat - (Dashut co-write)
This Nearly Was Mine (Hammerstein II and Rodgers)

And, then there are the "introductions" - instrumental:

Instrumental Introduction to Don't Look Down
Instrumental Introduction to This Is the Time

And spoken:
Spoken Introduction to Surrender the Rain
Poem Recitation/Introduction to Go Insane live ("Sardonic Poem")

I may have forgotten some instrumentals.
yes, i loved reading your old review, Michele.

CAD - that's exactly what Lindsfan and i were kicking around, except Teen Beat didn't occur to us, and we were trying to figure out whether instrumental intros should also be supplemented by spoken intros.

so you have 8 there... was there another spoken intro on OOTC? for some reason i keep thinking there was... and those are all instrumental intros there?

after we kick around this idea a bit to make sure we have all these various intros and instrumentals, do you feel like making this one too, CAD? all together one poll, instrumentals & intros, i guess?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes, i loved reading your old review, Michele.

CAD - that's exactly what Lindsfan and i were kicking around, except Teen Beat didn't occur to us, and we were trying to figure out whether instrumental intros should also be supplemented by spoken intros.

so you have 8 there... was there another spoken intro on OOTC? for some reason i keep thinking there was... and those are all instrumental intros there?

after we kick around this idea a bit to make sure we have all these various intros and instrumentals, do you feel like making this one too, CAD? all together one poll, instrumentals & intros, i guess?
Sure, I can make it. Any additions? I'm not too sold on including the spoken intros in the same poll as instrumentals but it's a shame to leave them out too unless there are more considerations.