Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default new album speculations

Just an attempt to turn the board back to topic: MUSIC. I really get unhappy over here lately.

It looks like Lindsey is working on the plans for the new album, with the tourguys as a back up. What do you think;
- will he rework the songs he recorded with Rob Cavallo? We'll miss alot of rockfeel on f.i. Twist Of Fate and Shuffle Riff.
- will he keep some of the GOS-tracks like they are? (GOS, TOF, ShuffleRiff) leave some UTSlikesongs, like Got To Get Away (which he mentioned in an earlier interview) and record Given Thing, Steve's Riff, maybe Deep Dense with the touringband and maybe some new stuff?

I got a feeling he'll rework alot of things to capture the semi-acoustic feel of the tour.........

Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, considering how he has been in the past about repeating himself, let's HOPE he DOESN'T try to make Under The Skin II. If I was at the production desk, I'd try to convince him to 1) come up with NEW things with a more "electric rock" approach, and 2) finish off the "rocker" tunes from GOS like "Gift of Screws" & "Twist of Fate"; toss in one of his leftover Stones covers...preferably "Gotta Get Away"; give us a studio version of "My Little Demon", and finally, a completed "Deep Dense". Let's have the remainder of the GOS tunes "officially" released so that we all can finally rid ourselves of the guilt of owning them in the first place.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Just an attempt to turn the board back to topic: MUSIC. I really get unhappy over here lately.

It looks like Lindsey is working on the plans for the new album, with the tourguys as a back up. What do you think;
- will he rework the songs he recorded with Rob Cavallo? We'll miss alot of rockfeel on f.i. Twist Of Fate and Shuffle Riff.
- will he keep some of the GOS-tracks like they are? (GOS, TOF, ShuffleRiff) leave some UTSlikesongs, like Got To Get Away (which he mentioned in an earlier interview) and record Given Thing, Steve's Riff, maybe Deep Dense with the touringband and maybe some new stuff?

I got a feeling he'll rework alot of things to capture the semi-acoustic feel of the tour.........
I hope he doesn't change the rock GOS songs to try and fit them in with a stripped down UTS type feeling because there's no way they could work. They're just too manic to work in that sort of setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, considering how he has been in the past about repeating himself, let's HOPE he DOESN'T try to make Under The Skin II.
I agree. I love UTS, but I don't want him to do another one. As much as I love the title track, Cast Away Dreams etc. I wouldn't want another album with lots of those stumming songs. If he tries to do the same style again then the songs will have to be even better than on UTS. If he repeats himself and the songs aren't better (not even as good as, they've got to be better) then it won't be accepted as well because people will have "heard it before" kind of attitude.

If he did UTS II then I can see the reviews now "While the echo-y, whispery vocals and the stripped down guitars on Buckingham's last album, Under The Skin, gave it a feeling of intimacy they don't work as well on [Insert album title]. Infact, one wishes that Buckingham had lived up to his reputation as a "visionary" and attempted a new style instead of sticking to the same one that gave UTS such favourable reviews. Clearly the Lindsey Buckingham who refused to follow a formula on Tusk is long gone." Okay, so that might be an overly cynical review, but you get my point. I'd no doubt enjoy UTS II, but I'd always feel disappointed he didn't try something new.

If I had to make a guess about the sound of this album I'd say it will be somewhere between UTS and OOTC in terms of style. More rocky, but still lots of the "stripped down" acoustic feel to it. That sort of album would be great.

To be honest, I'll probably be happy with whatever direction he takes, as long as he takes on and doesn't end up treading water stylistically.

Last edited by Peestie; 06-15-2007 at 09:45 AM..
Old 06-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I think he will make a band-album with the modern-folk approach. As songs, TOF and Shuffle will fit in, but as productions maybe not. So I think he could rework them, and get them slightly more "transparent" by replacing some of the rythmguitar by acoustic strumming. I would hate it if all those manic leadlines would dissappear. Not to mention Mick's drumwork.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And, Chili, The fact that he's going to work with Brett, Neal and Wally will lead to another "style", or at least "approach", than on UTS. I just hope that he will have less "space" for, as he calls them, productionvalues. Only a more down-to-earth vocal style could lead towards something that differs completely from UTS.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
unhappy? maybe so as your last "music" related thread was february?

I'm actually hoping Lindsey's next release is of the acoustic variety with the addition of the texas dvd. Then I am hoping for an electric mix on the next one. Lindsey has/will have more than one more cd to issue.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i say no to a studio version of my little demon.

yes to some of the other GOS leftovers.. namely, wear you down. i *love* that demo. it's so quirky.

i haven't found any indication in any of the interviews that he's even considering a UTS II. He's said from the start that the next one will be a rocker. and, i'd like to see where he talks about going into the studio with the tour band. i've missed this information somehow.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
unhappy? maybe so as your last "music" related thread was february?
Well, I'm not the type of guy that constantly starts "musicrelated" threads that almost no one responds to, just to keep himself happy. I just get very annoyed by the gossipthreads about individuals at concerts.

Don't feel attacked dear, you're one of the few reasons I'm still around over here and you know it. I'm just entitled to feel unhappy with the loss of activity by Madformac, Mari, Gaius, Trackaghost, Stefan, Wondergirl, Seteca etcetera. Well, as long as I can follow Lindsey's tour through you lucky guys, there's a reason to stay. I'm just flabbergasted by the attention every gossipthread gets.

Now, BTFLCHLD, give us your vision on the new album, your hopes, your wishes, your thoughts.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
i say no to a studio version of my little demon.
Why? Is it because you don't like the song or because it was on The Dance?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why? Is it because you don't like the song or because it was on The Dance?
Because it was on The Dance. Same reason I didn't want BTLH on SYW. I know it's technically a "live" album, but as polished as The Dance is, I almost consider it a studio album.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sarah, In one of the threads about the recent shows, Brett told to a fan that They were working on the next album and that he had heard some of the stuff and he ranked that as great.

Lindsey told around the release of UTS about that the next one would be a rocker, but later on he nuanced it and said something like we'll have to see where that one is going, because of the critical acclaim of UTS. I don't keep track of sources, I read them when they pop up, but I'm not collecting. I guess on lindsey's site you can find alot of articles that contain blurbs about the next album.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, considering how he has been in the past about repeating himself, let's HOPE he DOESN'T try to make Under The Skin II. If I was at the production desk, I'd try to convince him to 1) come up with NEW things with a more "electric rock" approach, and 2) finish off the "rocker" tunes from GOS like "Gift of Screws" & "Twist of Fate"; toss in one of his leftover Stones covers...preferably "Gotta Get Away"; give us a studio version of "My Little Demon", and finally, a completed "Deep Dense". Let's have the remainder of the GOS tunes "officially" released so that we all can finally rid ourselves of the guilt of owning them in the first place.
I very much doubt he's going to go the UTS route again. He's already mentioned quite a few times this is going to be more of rock approach, most likely including the tracks the record company would have liked to have seen on UTS and which Lindsey wisely kept off. I'm not sure about Twist of Fate, since he didn't seem to even remember the track when someone asked him about it a few months ago, but maybe the name got changed in the mean time. I think I would cry if it didn't get included, because of the remaining GOS tracks, that one is my favorite.

He also mentioned he came up with some new material in the meantime, so I guess we can expect a mix a la UTS, only with a different musical style this time.

Can't wait.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I think I would cry if it didn't get included, because of the remaining GOS tracks, that one is my favorite.
I completely agree about Twist if Fate. He needs to include that and Shuffle Riff...I would be happy. And not to be too greedy, if he wanted to include a cover song, I even love Gotta Get Away.

I have so enjoyed UTS and I still will for a long, long time. It's an incredible piece of art, but on this next album, he needs to rattle some windows.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gerald...

Quote:
I just get very annoyed by the gossipthreads about individuals at concerts.
I am not into the who's who of concerts either...I'm there to rocksocks not make mental notes of the audience.

Quote:
I'm just entitled to feel unhappy with the loss of activity by Madformac, Mari, Gaius, Trackaghost, Stefan, Wondergirl, Seteca etcetera.
well, I'm thankful they at least touch base once in a while.

Quote:
Now, BTFLCHLD, give us your vision on the new album, your hopes, your wishes, your thoughts.
I see Lindsey issuing either the texas dvd alone or with the additional cd. It wouldn't jell well to release the UTS dvd with a CD that sounds completely different or out of place. If the texas dvd is released alone, then it would be best to do so asap (imo.) My hope is issuing the dvd as he spoke of on rockline (issuing the dvd with the next cd) and then moving onto another release. My wish is that, whatever he decides to do, he again tours to kick my ass (along with the euros and canucks!) My thoughts are as above. I'm very excited that Lindsey is working on giving us more and shall patiently await his gift to us.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know I'm going to express an unpopular opinion here but at this point I actually don't want the "big rock" album from Lindsey, I want something even more lo-fi. I want him to do a Paul Westerberg and release something like Folker - real loose and no frills, recorded in his bedroom/bathroom/whatever stuff.
I know last year he gave us his version of the acoustic album (which in reality wasn't that acoustic at all) but I just want something way simpler from him. I know you guys are probably thinking Tusk, and in a way I am too, but I'd like it to be way more spontaneous than that - which is something he loves to talk about (hilariously enough in rehearsed speeches) but boy can he not do.
I can't imagine we'd ever get the Neil Young approach from him - rehearse it once, record it while it's still fresh, with one take to capture the magic - but I can dream can't I?
The thought of him returning to something super-polished and produced depresses me. The fact that he mentions he listens to Thom Yorke and then goes and guests with the likes of Vanessa Carlton and the dreadful Little Big Town (there I said it, they really, really suck) makes me sad. I really think he's better than that.
Maybe I'm being a complete snob about it, I don't know, he could surprise me. The Mac is dead, Christine has retired, Stevie is a nostagia act: I'm just pinning my hopes on Lindsey shunning the popular vote for the artistic one.

Last edited by trackaghost; 06-15-2007 at 07:03 PM..