Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize in Literature

Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He's among the greatest living lyricists, if not the greatest. Amazing and inspired choice!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
He's among the greatest living lyricists, if not the greatest. Amazing and inspired choice!
Bob is the only Singer/Songwriter/Musician to ever be awarded the Literature prize which also includes a cash award of around $900,000...
Old 10-13-2016, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats great news.I heard this on the radio today.Bob is a true storyteller.

I wish a cleaner copy of him with Stevie singing "Knockin On Heaven's Door" will pop up..

From Melacine's YT channel.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was also pleased to hear about this. It was the first item on the 6pm radio news last week - a welcome change from all the politics. I was a Bob Dylan addict at one point in my life. Some of those songs are just so good, they still give me goosebumps.

It seems as though he's not wanting to communicate with the Swedish academy yet about this award, which doesn't surprise me.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...nable-to-reach
Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

Did he ignore it? Lol I don't think he's really into the awards and all that.

This is really odd, but he recently recorded an entire album of Frank Sinatra tunes and I bought it. Just because I was curious. Now and then he just does something completely unexpected.

God bless him and he's a legend. But he's obviously no Frank Sinatra. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S7nTLeMdAk

To be fair, I don't think he was trying to compete with Frank on that score. He took an aim at Rod Stewart's covering of the old standards, saying it was all too polished and not enough from the heart. Dylan's attempt was to strip the songs back to their basic meaning with the lyrics - a cool idea, though I don't know if he was entirely successful in the execution of it.

Quote:
I was looking forward to hearing Rod's records of standards. I thought if anybody could bring something different to these songs, Rod certainly could. But the records were disappointing. Rod's a great singer, but there's no point putting a 30-piece orchestra behind him. I'm not going to knock anybody's right to make a living, but you can always tell if somebody's heart and soul is into something, and I didn't think Rod was into it in that way.
The really crazy thing is - my cat really seems to like the album! Every time I play it, she will curl up next to the speaker purring and very relaxed. I don't know why. But yeh my cat really seems to love Dylan's voice even if he isn't Frank Sinatra and can't hold all the notes!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'I was left speechless': Bob Dylan breaks two-week silence over Nobel prize

Bob Dylan was left speechless by the news that he was to be awarded the Nobel prize for literature, he has said, breaking more than two weeks of silence since the announcement.

The artist was criticised as “arrogant” by a prominent member of the academy that awards the prize last week, having failed to respond to repeated calls. Even a brief acknowledgement of the award was removed from his website soon after it appeared.

But, in a call with Sara Danius, the permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, Dylan said: “I appreciate the honour so much,” adding: “The news about the Nobel prize left me speechless.”

And, in a separate interview with the Daily Telegraph – his first since the award – he said he would “absolutely” attend an award ceremony “if it’s at all possible”. Dylan told the paper: “It’s hard to believe … amazing, incredible. Whoever dreams about something like that?”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...o-week-silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post

The really crazy thing is - my cat really seems to like the album! Every time I play it, she will curl up next to the speaker purring and very relaxed. I don't know why. But yeh my cat really seems to love Dylan's voice even if he isn't Frank Sinatra and can't hold all the notes!
I love that image of your cat enjoying Bob Dylan. Cats are very wise creatures, they know good music when they hear it