Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Seniority ---- The Ledge

Not sure if anyone else notices the Junior, Senior, or Addicted ranks we all get, but I was wondering if a sense of seniority or "peer pressure" is felt by newbies or even oldbies? Peer pressure in the sense of discounting junior/senior Ledgies or agreeing with addicted Ledgies?

Along with the content, I take notice of interesting dynamics within this forum. Anthropologically speaking I find myself creating theories, but who am I? No one! Please give me some feedback!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danigirl View Post
Not sure if anyone else notices the Junior, Senior, or Addicted ranks we all get, but I was wondering if a sense of seniority or "peer pressure" is felt by newbies or even oldbies? Peer pressure in the sense of discounting junior/senior Ledgies or agreeing with addicted Ledgies?

Along with the content, I take notice of interesting dynamics within this forum. Anthropologically speaking I find myself creating theories, but who am I? No one! Please give me some feedback!
I have never paid attention to that stuff. I think everyone just needs to speak their peace.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I have never paid attention to that stuff. I think everyone just needs to speak their peace.
If only everyone spoke their peace. Instead, people seem to like speaking their piece, and we have all sorts of opinions waved about as if they all matter and are valid!

To be very honest, yes, I do take notice of such things, though I wish I didn't. I certainly don't discount opinions from people with lower post counts than mine (because really, I'm still a newbie and don't have a high count, anyway), partly because there's a multitude of reasons for that. I have, however, stopped myself from posting a few times here and there when I've noticed who it is who has said something - not necessarily just because of a post count but because people have a tendency to 'discuss' in different ways, and it's not always worth it for me, and I know I am overly sensitive to certain things...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 AM

In my experience I noticed that there are some "elders" that cares to always let you know what's their opinion on matters even if it's uncalled for.
I've also noticed that sometimes newbies tend to be less noticed than elders.
I have to say that I notice this things because of my firey temperament and I think it's best to ignore, also because it would lead to useless misunderstandings and/or fights.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Honestly, the only time I noticed or cared about the classifications was when I was a new member myself. It seemed like forever until I'd cross the milestones of Junior Ledgie, Ledgie, Senior Ledgie, Addicted Ledgie, etc. I'd say the same is true of most members- they only pay attention to their own statuses. That's human nature, I suppose.

In other words, if you are a new(er) member, please don't let that make you feel any less legitimate than anyone else. We're all here for the same reason- discussing & debating this ever frustrating band we all can't shake an abusive addiction to.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love the idea of this thread, but I agree that, at the end of the day, little attention is paid to "statuses", if you could even call them that. Maybe people will respond more readily to a post from someone they have more of an established rapport with, sure, but that's really an issue of individual personal dynamics, not post count or seniority. Overall I think people just pay attention to the rather self-evident level of substance a post has. Not whether the poster who made it is "senior" in any way.

When I was new I certainly felt like my posts were considered and responded to fairly. But maybe my experience has been unique. Would you mind elaborating on the dynamics you've noticed, Danigirl? I'd certainly enjoy hearing your ideas as it's not something I've really paid much attention to personally.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seniority does not bother me.I've been on here since 2003 and have over 8000 posts.Big deal.I must have alot of time on hand.LOL.

No. I just enjoy it here.Some days are boring and somedays are interesting.Some posts are BS and some posts are hot.Don't let it bother you.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 12-01-2014 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thank you all for your responses. I can say that I know I enjoy reading posts from particular Ledgies, and I do have preconceived notions as to how certain threads would agitate or excite certain members. So, I stepped back and analyzed my thoughts/feelings. I broke it down to realize I do give more respect/credibility to those with seniority. Furthermore, I know the reasoning behind it all; I somehow feel as if my borderline obsessive addiction to all things FM is "understood" by the oldbies. Whereas, with newer Ledgies, I am subconsciously a bit more apprehensive.

I'm being brutally honest, so y'all please don't crucify me.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only time I even pay attention to the status things are when a topic comes up again in a new thread that we'd already had beaten a dead horse on that topic just a few months previously. Instead of just reviving the older thread, it's brought up as a new topic. THAT is when I notice that the thread was started by a new or newer member; otherwise, I never pay attention to the statuses.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Doesnt mean...

a thing to me, this whole 'seniority' thing got old years ago.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've only thought in terms of supporting ledgies vs. the rest of us as freeloading deadbeats.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I've only thought in terms of supporting ledgies vs. the rest of us as freeloading deadbeats.
Touché. I feel guilty when I read "supporting Ledgie."
Old 12-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In honor of my 100th post, thus making me a Senior Ledgie...

I'll respond to anything I find interesting (if I have something to contribute back that is), no matter how many posts a person has or their join date. On that note though, there are people that currently post so frequently that I wouldn't even know they weren't Addicted since I'm used to seeing their name. In the same vein, there are people with thousands of posts that I've never even noticed.

One thing I'm curious about is, when searching old threads, I notice regulars from years ago that have thousands of posts that never post anymore. I wonder what happened to them. I noticed the three top posters haven't posted in over three years.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Senior Ledgie makes me feel old which I am.LOL.

Addicted Ledgie make me feel like an FM addict which I am.LOL...

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Senior Ledgie makes me feel old which I am.LOL.

Addicted Ledgie make me feel like an FM addict which I am.LOL...
I was past addicted before I ever posted, lol. I actually made sure to read probably about 75% of the entire Ledge back to 2002 before I started posting myself, just to gauge the people, tone and content, etc. i'm probably less hesitant to post these days, but I don't mind saying that I'm constantly aware of how much longer so many people have been fans than I have. Great admiration and respect to them.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"