The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There is also speculation that she could not carry to term. Abortion is also known as miscarriage. I think that makes a lot of sense, she seemed to want children very badly.

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-13-2010 at 06:56 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
There is also speculation that she could not carry to term. Abortion is also known as miscarriage. I think that makes a lot of sense, she seemed to want children very badly.
Abortion and a miscarriage are two totally different things. A miscarriage is something that happens naturally, the body, for whatever reason rejects the fetus. An abortion is something that you have performed to you TO prevent the birth. An abortion is a decision, a miscarriage is not. You will never hear any woman mistakenly say she had an abortion if she meant she had a miscarriage.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The interview is on Youtube (although the sound is horrible) it's in three parts, the part about the abortion is part three (linked below). The part about trashing the "Street Angel" album is in part 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=van9uyR9ksc
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
Abortion and a miscarriage are two totally different things. A miscarriage is something that happens naturally, the body, for whatever reason rejects the fetus. An abortion is something that you have performed to you TO prevent the birth. An abortion is a decision, a miscarriage is not. You will never hear any woman mistakenly say she had an abortion if she meant she had a miscarriage.
I think some insurance companies may need to be informed about the difference. My husband's cousin had a miscarriage and on her insurance forms, it stated the reason for her medical visit was 'abortion'.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I think some insurance companies may need to be informed about the difference. My husband's cousin had a miscarriage and on her insurance forms, it stated the reason for her medical visit was 'abortion'.
The medical term for miscarriage is spontaneous abortion', meaning the body aborts the pregnancy. This article is from a London magazine and my understanding is that they used the the medical term abortion for miscarriage. Regardless, it is obvious Stevie wanted children.

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-13-2010 at 08:46 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
In medical terminology there is no such term as a "miscarriage". The medical term is a "spontaneous abortion". In the medical field the term abortion is used for both miscarriages and abortions.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineRN View Post
In medical terminology there is no such term as a "miscarriage". The medical term is a "spontaneous abortion". In the medical field the term abortion is used for both miscarriages and abortions.
Thanks. That was the point I was trying to make to skuncles when he/she said miscarriage and abortion were two different things. I just didn't make my point clear enough.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineRN View Post
A million years ago, when I worked in Admitting we'd get calls from affiliated OB practices for direct emergency admissions, they always used 'Missed AB' for the narrative diagnosis.
Not being a medical person, I didn't know that 'AB' meant abortion. To my young mind, an abortion was something a woman did electively at a clinic. Now I know it also means miscarriage too.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When you have an abortion, you often have to get a DnC or diation and cuttelage procedure to scrape the uterus. Otherwise deadly infection can occur. That's probably why an insurance form would say "abortion" in the case of miscarriage, because of the billable medical procedure they have in common.

As for Stevie, if you believe the Vox article is accurate, since she said it's hard to give up four babies, I would assume she meant voluntary forfeits and not involuntary miscarriages.

But I don't think much of the article. It doesn't "sound" like Stevie to me. That's not to say I don't think Stevie might have had 4 or 40 abortions. Maybe she did. I don't know. Doesn't bother me if she did. I just don't think many of the quotes sound like anything she has said.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-13-2010 at 12:33 PM..