The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: If you could only hear 1 of these 2, given the choice, which would you rather hear?
The one with FM doing a cover of someone else's song 16 88.89%
The one with another artist doing a song written by a FM member 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2002, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question FM do a cover or other artist do an FM song

I was just thinking how many people seem to enjoy the various FM members songwriting more than their performing (if they HAD to choose that is). Not that this is "right or wrong" or anything like that, I just thought of this for a fun poll just to get some opinions on the matter. Now, I realize that there is much more to this subject than this simplistic "vote" that I have put here but I was just curious as to what you all would choose in this situation. Maybe the results won't be as close as I think they might be but I'd just be interested to hear what you all have to say on this topic.

So, given the choice between say, 2 CD singles with one song on each, one with FM doing a cover of your fave non Mac related song and the other disc being an unrelated artist doing a cover of your fave songwriting effort by a FM member and you could only have one of them which one would you choose to hear?

I personally would choose the "FM doing a cover" CD as to me, as much as I like their writing skills etc., I prefer their performing skills the best so that's what I would choose but I'd be intereted to see how this vote turns out and other opinions on this matter. Thanks everybody and I look forward to the results.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-04-2002 at 10:19 AM..
Old 10-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to hear them do, say, a Sarah MacLaughlin song like Building a Mystery, or there's this Melissa Ethrigde song on Yes I Am called Ruins, that just sounds like an FM song to me.

It would be better, I guess, to hear them do a lesser known song by another artist, rather than a song that was a huge hit for somebody. I know BAM was a big hit for SM, but doggone it, it just has Stevie written all over it!

I hear songs all the time on the radio that would be so good to hear them sing. One I can think of right now is that song by Lifehouse that got played so much my ears bled, but now that I haven't heard it in a while I like it again, and that's Falling Even More in Love With You. Again, though, that song was TOO poular for them to cover!

My picks would be Ruins by Melissa Ethridge for Stevie, and a song by Train from the Drops of Jupiter CD called Hopeless for Lindsey.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a TOUGH one.

But, the 50.000001% of me voted for the choice to hear FMac cover someone else's tune.

Since Peter Green left (since they covered MANY old blues tunes & '50's Rock & Roll tunes during those early years), we've had:

Mission Bell

Hi Ho Silver (Honey Hush)

(I'm A) Roadrunner

For Your Love

Blue Letter

Farmer's Daughter

Cool Water

(also, not counting Bekka's cover version of her dad's "Nothing Without You" on "Time"...that's "all-in-the-family")

4 out of 7's pretty darn (it'd win you a World Series)...and, considering that Lindsey's last round of covers (4 Stones, 1 Donovan, 1 Dylan, 1 Harrison)...6 out of 7...I'd be looking forward to hearing FMac doing another cover of a half-way well-known song.

In fact, one that pops into mind off the top of my head is:

The Turtles' "Happy Together".

Last edited by chiliD; 10-04-2002 at 12:48 PM..
Old 10-04-2002, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've enjoyed both approaches. FM covering another artist's song such as "Farmer's Daughter" was good. Then on the other hand I really took a liking to the Dixie Chicks covering "Landslide". It's always interesting to hear the differences, or the take an artist has on a particular song done by someone else. If I had to choose between the two I would want to hear a song written by FM covered by someone else.....definitely more of a pat on the back or a compliment to Fleetwood Mac that way.

I couldn't vote on the poll so you can just add my vote manually.

Joe
Old 10-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Of those two choices, I'd prefer to hear The Mac cover someone else's tune.

If another artist recorded an *original* composition... such as Sheryl Crow doing "You're Not The One," or the Williams Brothers doing "You Like Me"... then I'd think it was cool.
But if it's just a cover of an already released tune, then I wouldn't be as interested, since I always tend to prefer Fleetwood Mac's original version.
So The Mac covering someone else's song would definitely be preferable.

I'd really dig it if they did a cover of "Happy Together," since that's in my top 5 of all-time favorite songs.
I also think it would be cool for them to tackle "California Dreaming," given its role in the Lindsey & Stevie Saga.
And I wouldn't mind if "She Smiled Sweetly" turned up on the new album... but mostly I would much rather have completely original compositions.

Interesting question, John!

Johnny Stew
Old 10-04-2002, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I chose for them to cover someone else's tune... for ONE reason. I would LOVE to hear the Mac do "Free Bird" by Lynard Skynard. I think Lindsey could do a masterful job with this song!

Matt
Old 10-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd take FM doing a cover any day over someone doing a cover of an FM song.....reason being I don't think there's been a single time when I've really liked somebody else's interpretation of a Fleetwood Mac song.....but I like almost all the songs that Fleetwood Mac (& solo members) have covered.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What do you think about Lindsey covering...

"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel (He could make this into a well crafted acoustic version.)

"With Or Without You" by U2...Bono does some "Wooooaaaa Woooaaa's" which Lindsey likes to use in his songs.

"All of My Love" by Led Zepplin

"Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls
Old 10-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh yes, Bluegrass, I forgot all about Iris!

That would be a very applicable song for Buckingham Nicks...AND it is a FAVORITE of Stevie's!

But I think it would be wierd because it is so popular already. It is just one of those songs I wish they had written!
Old 10-05-2002, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Wow, great tune choices everyone!

I should've added that in as part of the question as to WHICH song(s) they should cover but I remembered a thread a few weeks ago of someone asking that so I guess I didn't want to rehash it.

I forgot about the "original covers" vs. the "already released" songs covers angles that Johnny Stew had mentioned, I guess this is a tougher call than I had thought. Well, thanks anyways everyone for taking part.

John
Old 10-05-2002, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

FM should cover the first song Lindsey and Stevie sung together,

California Dreaming

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 10-05-2002, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"I Won't Tell Your Name" and "Black Balloon would be a good one again from the Goo Goo Dolls. Other acoustric based songs.

"Message In A Bottle" By Sting
Old 10-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass

"Message In A Bottle" By Sting

I thought that song was sung by The Police. I've never heard FM cover any song, but have heard a band cover a FM song.
I'd love to hear FM cover 'Pyramid Song' by Radiohead.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Fan

I thought that song was sung by The Police. I've never heard FM cover any song, but have heard a band cover a FM song.
It was The Police. But that's a common thing where people say Sting instead of The Police...it's like seeing "Stevie Nicks - Rhiannon..."

You've never heard "Blue Letter," or "The Farmer's Daughter?" Both are covers, and both are good Mac tunes.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jmn3

You've never heard "Blue Letter," or "The Farmer's Daughter?" Both are covers, and both are good Mac tunes.
I've just heard Blue Letter and I had no idea it was a cover.
I've heard The Coors cover of Dreams and Gary Moore cover of Stop messin' round. I don't like thm that much.