The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:19 PM

David Bowie Was Reportedly Diagnosed With Liver Cancer, Rumored to Suffer Multiple Heart Attacks
By Jeff Giles January 12, 2016 8:18 AM

David Bowie fans searching for answers in the days after his death might have their first clues regarding the battle with cancer that shadowed his final 18 months.

Coming mere days after his 69th birthday and the release of his new Blackstar album, the announcement of his passing on Jan. 10 caught the world by surprise, but to those in Bowie’s inner circle, news of his condition was nothing new. The Independent quotes stage director Ivo van Hove, who’d been working with him on his new Lazarus musical, as saying he’d known of Bowie’s illness for “about a year.”

We began collaborating on our show Lazarus, and at some point he took me to one side to say that he wouldn’t always be able to be there due to his illness. He told me he had cancer, liver cancer,” said Hove. “The cast didn’t know all that time, and I suspect that the musicians with whom he recorded Blackstar didn’t know either. He made every effort to complete those two projects on time, not to let his illness win. Bowie was still writing on his deathbed, you could say. He fought like a lion and kept working like a lion through it all. I had incredible respect for that.

The NME, meanwhile, quotes Bowie biographer Wendy Leigh’s interview with the BBC, in which Leigh asserts that cancer was only one of multiple health woes that dogged him in recent years. “He didn’t just battle cancer,” said Leigh. “He had six heart attacks in recent years. I got this from somebody very close to him.

Read More: David Bowie Was Reportedly Diagnosed With Liver Cancer, Rumored to Suffer Multiple Heart Attacks | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david...ckback=tsmclip
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Registered

That sounds terrible, and yet he pulled off an amazing farewell album and even played guitar on it too. Cancer is so terrible. But hey, the starman has returned home and the stars look very different today. Bowie was a hero, for more than one day. Turn and face the strange forever...
Old 01-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I turned on CNN yesterday morning and saw Bowie and initially thought it was something about the new album ..when I saw that he had died I was in shock.He is irreplaceable and his like will never be seen again.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

He kept it very secret. I saw another report that he had liver cancer that had spread from pancreas, and he'd tried some experimental treatments. He had a 15 year old daughter from his very happy marriage to Iman and he tried to fight hard. I know he used to smoke a lot but I thought he had quit some time ago.

Fleetwood Mac and Bowie are I think my favorite acts from the 70s. He was a very clever, creative man always ahead of the game.

Apart from illness, I'm glad he spent the last 20 years of his life probably happier than he'd ever been, and he spent time with family.

There are many stories about how generous and humble he was in person. He was there for Sean Lennon and Rolan Bolan after they lost their own fathers. When a friend lost his home in a fire he opened his own home to him during the rebuilding process. He did things like that without looking for attention or fanfare. In his last appearances, he was obviously frail but still smiling and making all effort he could.

Many artists from yesteryear and today are paying tribute to him. But I don't think Fleetwood Mac has as yet? I know Stevie was a fan but not sure if there was any back story or their paths crossed.

I don't think Coldplay have said anything yet but I expect they will pay a worthy tribute. Bowie was obviously a major influence on them. It's just a shock to so many.

I lived through Michael Jackson and Kurt Cobain's biggest fame. But I actually think that this is a bigger loss to me.

Last edited by Missy; 01-13-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Old 01-13-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
I know Stevie was a fan but not sure if there was any back story or their paths crossed.
Their paths sort of crossed during the 1983 US Festival and in an interview Stevie said that she tried to get to David but couldn't because he was too busy preparing to perform right after her and probably he was very nervous like her.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

(There have been several sad losses in music lately. Scott Weiland, Natalie Cole, Lemmy. When I heard about Bowie, I was still reeling from the loss of Stevie Wright after Christmas. Stevie perhaps could have been the original lead singer of AC/DC, but he had serious drug and alcohol addictions. He tried a rehab that gave patients powerful sedatives and shock treatments, and left him with cognitive deficits. A bit like our version of Peter Green or Syd Barrett. In the 70s Bowie covered a song that Stevie Wright had done with the Easybeats. So something of a connection there. Wright was only 68 and a broken man... After all they have been through it's a small miracle that Fleetwood Mac are here and still performing. I think they have a consciousness of that on stage.)
Old 01-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default somewhere....

In one of my many books or videos there's a cool story of
Bowie and his trip to see Elvis at MSG in 1972. If I find
it I'll share.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Their paths sort of crossed during the 1983 US Festival and in an interview Stevie said that she tried to get to David but couldn't because he was too busy preparing to perform right after her and probably he was very nervous like her.
Thank you for that. Sonetimes it is difficult when they have an 'entourage' around them. But I think they would have connected. Joe Walsh has paid tribute.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Missy;1177391] I know Stevie was a fan but not sure if there was any back story or their paths crossed.
QUOTE]

If there's any Bowie link to Fleetwood Mac it would most likely be through Mick or possibly John.
Mike Vernon produced David Bowie's debut album in 1967, just before FM joined his Blue Horizon label for their first couple of albums.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Registered

"David Bowie?! I met David Bowie. He had nothing to say to me. So, no, it isn't about David Bowie."

-- Introducing SARA in Buffalo NY, July 2, 1983

"Like David Bowie, Nicks has spent a career turning her private fantasies into an elaborate pop mythology. And even when she gets carried away, she still has that soulful ache in her voice"

- Rolling Stone Magazine, 1998
Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sirius XM The Loft has turned into David Bowie channel through Monday - https://www.siriusxm.com/theloft

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
"David Bowie?! I met David Bowie. He had nothing to say to me. So, no, it isn't about David Bowie."

"Like David Bowie, Nicks has spent a career turning her private fantasies into an elaborate pop mythology. And even when she gets carried away, she still has that soulful ache in her voice"

Oh dear. I do see similarities between them though and in a more recent interview she was reported as saying 'I'm a big fan of David Bowie.' They were both quite ethereal and I think Stevie may have a few personas. Perhaps artistic representations of different sides of herself.

They would have all had mutual friends. FM and Bowie both recorded albums at the Honky Chateau. Both started in England in the 1960s. But they may have been into different scenes at that time.

Bowie's long time producer Tony Visconti has said that he was actually planning a new album and even though he knew he was terminal, he thought he had more time. There are some stories that he has already been cremated - the family won't confirm or deny. They're giving away very little to the media, but have announced there will be a private service.

From his official FB page:

Quote:
THANK YOU

The family of David Bowie is currently making arrangements for a private ceremony celebrating the memory of their beloved husband, father and friend.

They ask once again that their privacy be respected at this most sensitive of times.

We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the love and support shown throughout the world.

However, it is important to note that while the concerts and tributes planned for the coming weeks are all welcome, none are official memorials organized or endorsed by the family.

Just as each and every one of us found something unique in David's music, we welcome everyone’s celebration of his life as they see fit.
It is nice to see him being recognized. Always thought it was a shame he went a bit off the radar when so many present acts seem heavily inspired by him.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
It is nice to see him being recognized. Always thought it was a shame he went a bit off the radar when so many present acts seem heavily inspired by him.
yes, exactly.

he was a true artist, innovator and trend-starter. always really going his own way. not playing practically any hits at shows if his vision for the tour was different. always changing, he was never going to be painted into a corner. following his artistic vision. not being afraid to continuously try new and different things. creating new music as well as other forms of expression till the end.

i really hope Blackstar becomes his first #1 album here, it would so fitting.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...h_all_dt_tw_ru

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes, exactly.

he was a true artist, innovator and trend-starter. always really going his own way. not playing practically any hits at shows if his vision for the tour was different. always changing, he was never going to be painted into a corner. following his artistic vision. not being afraid to continuously try new and different things. creating new music as well as other forms of expression till the end.

i really hope Blackstar becomes his first #1 album here, it would so fitting.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...h_all_dt_tw_ru
He was so damn clever. I didn't realize how much so until later. Each time you thought you had him pegged, he would have something else up his sleeve. He really was several decades ahead of his time.

Other people who try to do what he did usually end up becoming cliched and like a caricature. I think that happened to Lady Gaga, though she seems to be finding her way back and I hope her next album shows some real evolution.

There is footage of Bowie on youtube doing a moonwalk about ten years before Michael Jackson. Many of the predictions he made about future society and the effect technology would have proved to be extremely accurate. The isolating effect of modern society. The breaking down of long held standards, doctrines and statutes. He reflected the confusion of the 70s decade while at the same time bridging some of the gaps.

'Life On Mars' is one of my favorites and was composed as an updated version of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' or 'My Way'. But it wasn't a lazy rehash. It's a work of brilliance in its own right. Equal to the originals if not superseding them in some terms.

In my mind David Bowie deserves to be up there with the classic artists of all time and I hope new generations continue to discover him.

Last edited by Missy; 01-15-2016 at 06:19 AM..
Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post

Thanks.

The first is a quote from one of the recorded dates of her Wild Heart tour, when she was introducing Sara and explaining it was about a person we all know and then a drunk fan screamed "David Bowie!" and she just responded that.
Maybe I can find it on my bootlegs.

The interview I was talking about was a more recent one, she was talking about the Us Festival and she mentioned David.