Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rumours soundboard downloads

I've been listening to some of my Rumours soundboards quite a bit the last few days. Here are a few of my favorites. Those shows around this time actually had quite a bit of spontanaity!

This one is "Don't Stop" from 5/20/77 Little Rock. Chris plays a bit of Jumping At Shadows on her piano before going into "Don't Stop". And, there's some nice rapport between the McVies as well.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...Q1YML534VOVE47

This one is the first ever live "Songbird" from 5/21/77 Nashville.

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...J3J2QACKJG4W1X
Old 02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I've been listening to some of my Rumours soundboards quite a bit the last few days. Here are a few of my favorites. Those shows around this time actually had quite a bit of spontanaity!

This one is "Don't Stop" from 5/20/77 Little Rock. Chris plays a bit of Jumping At Shadows on her piano before going into "Don't Stop". And, there's some nice rapport between the McVies as well.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...Q1YML534VOVE47

This one is the first ever live "Songbird" from 5/21/77 Nashville.

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...J3J2QACKJG4W1X

aaahh, I love those, thank you. That Songbird is so beautiful, it really is, she sounds amazing. She did say 'for you' when she should have said 'to you' but i suppose we can forgive her. And of course afterwards I love how John tells her so quietly, "Nice one."

What the heck is he saying after the bluesy stuff ends, before Don't Stop-- "...??? as usual." i hate when i can't make out dialogue!!!

-Lis
Old 02-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They were all pretty cheeky back then! That's what happens to your personality (or at least to your proclivity for showing it) when you have a No. 1 album & are the darlings of the American Booboisie.
Quote:
This one is "Don't Stop" from 5/20/77 Little Rock. Chris plays a bit of Jumping At Shadows on her piano before going into "Don't Stop".
Yeah, Chris plays the "Shadows" licks dozens of times over the years -- usually before Songbird but sometimes before other songs, often when there's a wait or a holdup. She used to call it "jazz" ("John, want to play a jazz song?").

Thanks for dating 5.20 & 5.21 correctly, btw!! Some dweeb started dating it 6.21, thus confusing a lot of people as to set list development.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! Great quality.

thanks for that

Gail
Old 02-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
aaahh, I love those, thank you. That Songbird is so beautiful, it really is, she sounds amazing. She did say 'for you' when she should have said 'to you' but i suppose we can forgive her. And of course afterwards I love how John tells her so quietly, "Nice one."

What the heck is he saying after the bluesy stuff ends, before Don't Stop-- "...??? as usual." i hate when i can't make out dialogue!!!

-Lis
Yeah, that songbird is pretty much the best version I' ve heard.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:23 PM

wow i love that blues intro!!!

stunning! they were so much better at blues than pop in my opinion...
Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for posting this. hopefully the link will still be active when I get home.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin

-Lis
He says something first that I can't understand. Then a few seconds later, he says, "chaos as usual". This is just a guess. Maybe there was a problem with his bass. Maybe that's why Chris was playing "Jumping At Shadows" while waiting for it to be fixed. I wouldn't have minded if she had played the whole thing. I love that song.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

Thanks for dating 5.20 & 5.21 correctly, btw!! Some dweeb started dating it 6.21, thus confusing a lot of people as to set list development.
When I first got this bootleg, it was labeled 6/24. Just looking at the set list, I knew that couldn't be right. I got an old Hit Parader which had a partial tour itinerary. They had the Little Rock date as 5/20. That made a lot more sense.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He says something first that I can't understand. Then a few seconds later, he says, "chaos as usual". This is just a guess. Maybe there was a problem with his bass. Maybe that's why Chris was playing "Jumping At Shadows" while waiting for it to be fixed. I wouldn't have minded if she had played the whole thing. I love that song.
Speaking of Songbird, I have a SB recording of it from 8-8-80 in Atlanta, and right before Chris starts singing, you can her her say "Hey John, wanna play a jazz solo?"
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Speaking of Songbird, I have a SB recording of it from 8-8-80 in Atlanta, and right before Chris starts singing, you can her her say "Hey John, wanna play a jazz solo?"
I have that one too. I posted it in this forum a few weeks ago. That's one of my favorite live Songbirds.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Heheh, that makes me laugh. I love the way she says his name. "Juhn"!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
wow i love that blues intro!!!

stunning! they were so much better at blues than pop in my opinion...
I agree. Lindsey actually had some decent blues chops. He sounded a bit like B.B. King there. For some reason, that tone made me think "Sweet Sixteen." Lindsey also had some nice, Danny Kirwan-esq vibrato.

And, I have to wonder why they cut Christine's "solo" out of "Don't Stop." Fleetwood Mac had so much to offer, but it seems like they opted to go on auto-pilot.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I agree. Lindsey actually had some decent blues chops. He sounded a bit like B.B. King there. For some reason, that tone made me think "Sweet Sixteen." Lindsey also had some nice, Danny Kirwan-esq vibrato.
I disagree with both of you, violently & pronouncedly. If you're talking about that incarnation of the group, they were a far greater pop outfit than a blues outfit.
Quote:
And, I have to wonder why they cut Christine's "solo" out of "Don't Stop." Fleetwood Mac had so much to offer, but it seems like they opted to go on auto-pilot.
What are you babbling on about now?

You mean in 1987 when they took the piano rip-up out of Don't Stop? that was probably because A) Chris didn't care about life any more, & B) there were so many extra musicians "filling out" the sound that Chris said the only one she'd play was "Stop Messin' Round" & she wouldn't even play THAT until Salt Lake City 1990.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 AM

I agree here... I love CM but she got a little lazy on the piano solos in the Rumours incarnations....