Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Bob Changed the band!

I have to agree with Wendy Welch. Bob was a tremendous influence on the band. He changed their music from R&B to rock. This change made them the band that was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It is a miscarriage that he was not inducted with the band. They should think deep about this and correct this error.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm glad Mick finally mentioned Bob's name, even thought very insignificantlyand did not give him the credit he was due, but tht is still not good enough. Why did they close my thread when many other Bob Welch fans wished to post on that page. Does that tell you the power they have. Like i said, David and Goliath, Congres against the people.

Why would they close y thread for Bob being regarding Bob being deleted by FM when so many had responses to make. Does tht not tell you who is discrediting who. They must even own this site as well, or why would thread have been closed? Ask yourselves that question. Also, all other sites of FM have deleted Bob Welch's credentials. Doesn't that make you see things in the real light of day/11
Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Without Bob there would be no Fleetwood Mac

Well, let's go back to those early years when FM was struggling to survive in England. The days when Bob decided they were moving to Los Angeles. When Bob opened the doors and paved the way for a new revitalized Fleetwood Mac in America.

Without Bob there would be no no Fleetwood Mac right now, no band for Stevie Nicks to sing with, no band to keep Mick going when his side ventures don't work out.

The very least they could do is have Bob inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Forget the petty differences of a couple of band members and do the decent thing, especially when lesser contributors are already inducted.

Fans out there - Wendy could really use your support right now. Help her get her husband inducted as a member of FM. It was one of the things that plagued him during life, let's see if we can't help him rest easy on this one.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Lets help Wendy Welch with inducting Bob Welch into the RRHOF

A little Youtube tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAvZ7eOXT4
Old 10-13-2013, 03:08 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Bob Welch Missing from Early Years Releases

Why is Bob Welch missing from the early years materials? Why no anniversary releases that include the savior of the band - BOB WELCH?

Why no tribute re-releases on the five Welch albums? The band could have made a fortune off of a re-release if it had been timely. Is it just oversight? Or does someone want Bob to disappear from the history pages of Fleetwood Mac?

I love the new EP and the new tour. Stevie Nicks is a personal favorite but lets give Bob his due - please?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow amazing all these new people coming out of the woodwork and posting about Bob Welch
Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by movidude View Post
Fans out there - Wendy could really use your support right now. Help her get her husband inducted as a member of FM. It was one of the things that plagued him during life, let's see if we can't help him rest easy on this one.
We all supported Wendy and signed the petition that was floating around some while back. Getting Bob into the HoF is out of our hands at this point, it would seem.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everyone had a lot to do with the move to less orthodox blues before Bob came in. Jeremy with the classic rock, Peter with his non-blues interests and Danny with a jazzier style (he often cited Django Rheinhardt as an inspiration). Bob did take things further though, but his biggest contribution might have been fighting for their name from a U.S. base. The albums he was on are all essential for any modern music fan. I first heard his music when Hypnotized was on fm in this area a lot , followed by the second version of Sentimental Lady and Ebony Eyes all over the am dial. Later I enjoyed the heck out of his look at bop. Good times!

It's often the British way to simply sidestep and ignore, even to silence, and the U.S. way to be in your face. Bob really should be in the hall of fame as an individual in my opinion if nothing else. My hall is rather different to the official version mind you.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
They must even own this site as well, or why would thread have been closed? Ask yourselves that question. Also, all other sites of FM have deleted Bob Welch's credentials
Wendy, I, like many others here, agree with you, Bob should've been and should be in the HOF. If you can think of any other things we could try, I'm sure most of us would jump in to help on that. We have signed the petition and passed along the word to anyone else we come across to do so.

Yes, it doesn't seem right the other boards have locked/deleted the threads but, right or wrong, it is their site and they have the right to do that. Because they do that however, I think this is why we don't see a point in trying to start more threads there if we now know that's what they are going to do if we were to do so.

Regarding your above quote, I just wanted to point out that they don't own this site. I think the fact that, as you mentioned, most OTHER sites have deleted Bob's creds, shows that we may be more genuine in our affection for the band's history than the sites you're referring to are.

This site was considered to be the official FM site at one point but the stipulation the original owners of this site had in regards to that was that the historical information needed to be kept and developed and from what I understand that was a deal breaker and as one trying when I get the chance to work on that development, I think it was the right decision to pull out of that process and let's face it, this was a foregone conclusion since most official sites just use sites as a marketing tool to push the latest effort and don't see it as a tribute or see it to be used as a resource for their brand.

As for the other thread being closed, I believe it was because there are now a few threads relevant to the same issue here and I believe the board's rules indicate that there should be as few threads as possible about any single topic and I understand that and would hold to that rule myself if I owned a site like this too.

In any case, please know we are on your side and will help in any ways we can on this topic but as mentioned we are just fans, if we had the power to change some things like this (i.e. getting any unreleased recordings issued etc.) then we certainly would've done it by now, and in fact, we tried to do the petition thing regarding getting recordings released about a decade ago now and we compiled around 8,000 signatures but it was felt by the body that would've considered to do it that we needed at least 10,000 to force it under consideration but it took many years to just get to the 8,000 mark. So even with that, we are left out in the cold and this was an unfortunate realization that fans always say "why don't they release this it would sell like unreal if they did" either isn't true or if it was released would not sell to the level that a tyrant like WB would want anyway based on the fact that we can only compile sigs on a petition by those that are online and come across it and it was disappointing to see what a low percentage of fans that included, this is, if we do feel there are enough people out there to sign it, because even if that group of people are out there, it's a tough matter of getting them to sign it if they won't go online and realistically, that is just speculation as to whether we are missing out on a portion of fans that would sign it but either don't have access or interest in going online to get involved in such exercises. I don't mean to discourage your efforts by saying this, I just wanted to show this as an example that since we aren't part of the inner circle, we are at a large disadvantage regarding these kinds of issues.

As stated though, if there are any other ways you think could be tried that might work then please do post about them in the existing unlocked threads here and I'm sure most of us will join in to help out.

John
Old 10-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've messaged Wendy privately about this but you may like to know that I have tried to do my bit to promote that period of Fleetwood Mac's history with a series of entries on my blog at barttheanorak.wordpress.com entitled Fleetwood Mac - The Wilderness Years. Part 2 of 4 is up today. The next two will be uploaded the coming two days.

Here's Part 1 http://barttheanorak.wordpress.com/2...s-part-1-of-4/

Here's Part 2 http://barttheanorak.wordpress.com/2...s-part-2-of-4/
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
In any case, please know we are on your side and will help in any ways we can on this topic but as mentioned we are just fans, if we had the power to change some things like this (i.e. getting any unreleased recordings issued etc.) then we certainly would've done it by now, and in fact, we tried to do the petition thing regarding getting recordings released about a decade ago now and we compiled around 8,000 signatures but it was felt by the body that would've considered to do it that we needed at least 10,000 to force it under consideration but it took many years to just get to the 8,000 mark.
Excellent post John and I was unaware of the fans' earlier effort to collect signatures. 8,000 is quite extraordinary. Thank you for the background.

Michele
Old 10-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good points John.

Legal, financial and emotional tangles and FM sadly seem to go together.

I think there has been a sliver of light recently though.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wendy: have you reached out to Rolling Stone magazine? I'd think your plight to get Bob in the Hall would make a terribly interesting op-ed at the very least.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Wendy: have you reached out to Rolling Stone magazine? I'd think your plight to get Bob in the Hall would make a terribly interesting op-ed at the very least.
That's a good idea. And there would be some reader feedback in response too, which might be helpful to generate attention.

Michele
Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's a good idea. And there would be some reader feedback in response too, which might be helpful to generate attention.

Michele
And, there's the Jann Wenner angle, too. Since he's the head a-hole on the R&RHoF nominating committee, if Rolling Stone did a piece on Welch's worthiness of being in the Hall Of Fame, then Wenner will have his nose rubbed in the s*** from his own magazine. (if it ever gets past him & published, that is)