The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm bummed to read about all of this. I always thought FM was one of the few bands that kept everything live. My god, Stevie sang live on Solid Gold. I'd rather they play live and sound off at times. I saw Dolly Parton a couple of times, who clearly lip-syncs the entire show except maybe Little Sparrow and it was an embarrassment. Went the second time hoping it would be different.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
And Elle, I'm really flattered that you remembered that I didn't want to drive 3 1/2 hours to a show before they announced the Bay Area show. (And I"m not being snarky and sarcastic.)
hey my attempt at reverse psychology apparently worked! (just teasing!)

and awww - what can i say i have great memory for stuff that i don't actually need to remember!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamwilliame View Post
It saddens me so much to see this. I know it is common practice with a number of big name acts, but it has clearly become more of a crutch for the past few tours.
If Buckingham McVie are going to prerecord everything, they ought at least to prerecord more adventurous performances. Why bother piping in such blandly safe recordings? When you only have to move your lips, you can "sing" as high as you ever did. If you don't have to reproduce it live, make it shred.

Quote:
This combined with the never ending Stevie related drama has turned me off of the Mac as they currently exist. I am to the point where I want to appreciate and enjoy the great songs and performances they gave us in the past and accept that it is time for them to call it a day as a band.
Like a lot of rock stars, the Macsters haven't found a way to square their decades with their former intensity. Being a Machead these days consists primarily in leafing through old photo albums and listening to Tusk Deluxe tour showpieces.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I am not as bitter as you all?

They are all still alive. Lindsey and Christine are still making new music. Stevie, while she can't write new material anymore, she can still command an audience. So all being said and most of your cases, being complained about, I am pretty happy with the output for a bunch of 67-74 year olds.

Easy answer for the rest of you-Transport back to your 20's, listen to Rumours and Tusk and pretend FM and all their ancillary output ended then.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a cop out response.

Do you think Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would go this route? Eric Clapton, dare I saw Bob Dylan.

LB is the guy who wrote Time Precious Time, Red Rover, etc. he's better than this.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
What a cop out response.

Do you think Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would go this route? Eric Clapton, dare I saw Bob Dylan.

LB is the guy who wrote Time Precious Time, Red Rover, etc. he's better than this.
I'm more pissed about them singing karaoke!

Because they are better than that. Or should be!
Old 08-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm more pissed about them singing karaoke!

Because they are better than that. Or should be!
True but it sure saves money on back up singers
Old 08-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
True but it sure saves money on back up singers
With Brett, the bass player, and other guitar player (I simply CAN'T remember his name- I've forgotten it a hundred times) singing, they shouldn't need backup singers.

They don't have to be super high parts, as long as it's three part harmony.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 08-26-2017 at 09:02 PM..
Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Homer, you're telling me you don't remember Neale Heywood, he has been playing with the band for 20 years.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Homer, you're telling me you don't remember Neale Heywood, he has been playing with the band for 20 years.
For whatever reason, that name just slips out of my head. Looks wise, he reminds me of someone I know personally. Hopefully that's the reason, and not the onset of early dementia!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I completely agree with everyone who is saying it's a shame they use these prerecorded backing tracks.

I would much rather hear the music entirely live. If Brett needs to play most of the keyboards, let him. Chris can save it for "Game of Pretend" and a couple of other songs. Then at least we know what we've heard.

The three backing musicians are all very capable singers. We don't need a "wall of sound" just like the record when hearing them live. And there are two extra guys on guitar. Lindsey doesn't have to play everything himself -- let Brett and Neale handle some of the guitar chores, but let it be live.

Live rock music SHOULDN'T be perfect. Save that for the diva pop stars whose shows are a multi-media presentation. Fleetwood Mac and BuckVie are rock, not diva pop with backup dancers, an elaborate stage set, and a million dollar light show.

I go to very few shows by famous names that everyone has heard of. Fleetwood Mac and BuckVie are an exception. My musical tastes run to under-the-radar Americana, indie rock, singer-songwriter, and folk. Once in a blue moon you'll see one of these groups use a tape loop, but it's obvious, and the idea of any of them piping in prerecorded backing tracks would just be absurd. So, people, don't give up on live music, just search out your low-key and indie performers and you'll never have to listen to a backing track again.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I completely agree with everyone who is saying it's a shame they use these prerecorded backing tracks.

I would much rather hear the music entirely live. If Brett needs to play most of the keyboards, let him. Chris can save it for "Game of Pretend" and a couple of other songs. Then at least we know what we've heard.

The three backing musicians are all very capable singers. We don't need a "wall of sound" just like the record when hearing them live. And there are two extra guys on guitar. Lindsey doesn't have to play everything himself -- let Brett and Neale handle some of the guitar chores, but let it be live.

Live rock music SHOULDN'T be perfect. Save that for the diva pop stars whose shows are a multi-media presentation. Fleetwood Mac and BuckVie are rock, not diva pop with backup dancers, an elaborate stage set, and a million dollar light show.
Well, I think Lindsey has decided that "this is the way, now", so I doubt it will change now.

You know, this made me think of The Eagles...wondering if they use them. IDK if "Eagles" songs use tracks, but the Don Henley solo songs they do...CLEARLY use them. Dirty Laundry, and All She Wants To Do Is Dance are clearly tracks.

Rambling now...I've always wondered if Edge of Seventeen was tracks. I'd think it would be very hard to keep that guitar part going...perfectly, for 5 or so minutes. I've always suspected that was a track...
Old 08-30-2017, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It reminds me of that part in 'Destiny Rules' when they are in rehearsals, and Lindsey is discussing hitting the high notes in 'Come' - he makes a little joke about dropping in a recorded section to mime to...
Old 08-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Ledgie

Default Won't go to another concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnTyPFDMUg

CMs hands aren't even on the keyboard for the opening piano riff.

I don't think LBs guitar is on until the solo, then he shuts it back off.
I was SO disappointed that Chris left a lot of playing to Brett (saw her and Lindsey in Denver 7/27/2017). I remember seeing FM in the late 80s/early 90s and she rocked the piano. After all the hoopla about her coming out of retirement and now she doesn't really dig in and give it her all?? I won't bother seeing FM live again. Will always love them for the past music they've given us, but it's really time for them to call it a day if they can't play and sing the main parts of their songs when they tour.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, I think Lindsey has decided that "this is the way, now", so I doubt it will change now.

You know, this made me think of The Eagles...wondering if they use them. IDK if "Eagles" songs use tracks, but the Don Henley solo songs they do...CLEARLY use them. Dirty Laundry, and All She Wants To Do Is Dance are clearly tracks.

Rambling now...I've always wondered if Edge of Seventeen was tracks. I'd think it would be very hard to keep that guitar part going...perfectly, for 5 or so minutes. I've always suspected that was a track...
Fleetwood Mac uses them.. I haven't been to a STevie show in a long time.. but most acts use augmented material these days. I HATE IT!!!