User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Heart Sleeping Angel in Fast Times movie

I have always loved the song Sleeping Angel. I bought the Fast Times soundtrack in the early 80's. It has lots of great music. Don Henley's Love Rules is another awesome tune.
Last night I was watching Fast Times for the 10000000th time. Sleeping Angel is played at the perfect time when the character is abandoned by a man and pregnant. When she hangs up the phone and you hear Stevie's voice "I'm trying to believe you and I'm learning all the time" really captures the scene. The character is so vulnerable and Stevie's voice is strong yet vulnerable too in a beautiful song. In 1984 I remember hoping Sleeping Angel would appear in the next Stevie solo album. I just thought it was too good of a song to be lost in a movie soundtrack. I love the opening line "Take me if you need me but never hold me down, your asking me to trust you but there is little of that around.
IMHO Stevie's voice was best 1981 to 1983. This song was recorded in 1982 I believe. Its just as beautiful as All the beautiful Worlds recorded around the same time. I love that Stevie did this song live in 1998 but she always dropped the opening line which frustrated me because the opening line is so beautiful. She would say "Take me sleeping angel but never hold me down" Live. I love the "Take me if you need me line.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like it a lot too. About Paul Fishkin.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I have always loved the song Sleeping Angel. I bought the Fast Times soundtrack in the early 80's. It has lots of great music. Don Henley's Love Rules is another awesome tune.
Last night I was watching Fast Times for the 10000000th time. Sleeping Angel is played at the perfect time when the character is abandoned by a man and pregnant. When she hangs up the phone and you hear Stevie's voice "I'm trying to believe you and I'm learning all the time" really captures the scene. The character is so vulnerable and Stevie's voice is strong yet vulnerable too in a beautiful song. In 1984 I remember hoping Sleeping Angel would appear in the next Stevie solo album. I just thought it was too good of a song to be lost in a movie soundtrack. I love the opening line "Take me if you need me but never hold me down, your asking me to trust you but there is little of that around.
IMHO Stevie's voice was best 1981 to 1983. This song was recorded in 1982 I believe. Its just as beautiful as All the beautiful Worlds recorded around the same time. I love that Stevie did this song live in 1998 but she always dropped the opening line which frustrated me because the opening line is so beautiful. She would say "Take me sleeping angel but never hold me down" Live. I love the "Take me if you need me line.

Never cared much for the movie but I really love the song (along with Don Henley and Donna Summer's contribution). The 1991 remix of Sleeping Angel is my favorite version.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Awesome, totally awesome!"
I still enjoy that movie. I've probably seen at least a thousand times, and I never get sick of it. I bought the soundtrack around 1983 (I think) just so I could have Don Henley's Love Rules and Stevie's Sleeping Angel. It has a ton of good songs, though I can do without Sammy Hagar, The Go Go's and Don Felder (sorry). Goodbye Goodbye by Oingo Boingo has grown on me over the years. However, I was a bit disappointed that American Girl by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakets wasn't included. I think I'm gonna watch it later.

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 05-24-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Never cared much for the movie but I really love the song (along with Don Henley and Donna Summer's contribution). The 1991 remix of Sleeping Angel is my favorite version.
I always felt this should have been on Bella Donna since Fishkin was such a key player in the launch of Stevie's solo career.

I prefer the remix too. The bigger production better suits her "American Idol" vocals on this one.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There is another Fleetwood Mac connection to Fast Times. Sean Penn was turned down to play Jeff Spicoli twice. He wanted the part so bad. There was a Fleetwood Mac costume party that Penn was invited to in CA. I don't remember if the creator or director of Fast Times was going to be there. But Penn wanted the part so bad that he lived the part of Jeff Spicoli even at the Fleetwood Mac costume party where everyone else was dressed like members of the band. After other auditions failed to cast Jeff Spicoli, Sean Penn's hard work paid off and he finally got cast in the role.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There is another Fleetwood Mac connection to Fast Times. Sean Penn was turned down to play Jeff Spicoli twice. He wanted the part so bad. There was a Fleetwood Mac costume party that Penn was invited to in CA. I don't remember if the creator or director of Fast Times was going to be there. But Penn wanted the part so bad that he lived the part of Jeff Spicoli even at the Fleetwood Mac costume party where everyone else was dressed like members of the band. After other auditions failed to cast Jeff Spicoli, Sean Penn's hard work paid off and he finally got cast in the role.
It's so interesting that he wanted the part so badly because almost every character he played afterwards was the complete opposite of that role!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
It's so interesting that he wanted the part so badly because almost every character he played afterwards was the complete opposite of that role!
Yes but I believe he was trying to land his first movie and make it in show biz. Its a great movie especially any teenager (like me) growing up in the 80's. The movie is packed with future stars and academy award winners

Sean Penn
Forest Whitaker
Nicolas Cage
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Phoebe Cates
Nancy Wilson of Heart even appears

The casting director did an amazing job to cast such talent in one film when most people never heard of any of these actors at the time.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-24-2016 at 04:22 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 07:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

'Sleeping Angel' is tied with 'Gypsy' as my favorite Stevie Nicks song. It has to be one of the most incredibly beautiful tunes I have ever heard, and one of Stevie's best vocal performances on record. As such, whenever I'm watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I get distracted from plot when it's playing in the background. Whaddya want, the song is perfection.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find it an interesting insight into where she was at during that time. By the time she wrote it she had gone through the breakup with Lindsey, the relationship with Don Henley, her affair with Mick, had also dated/had flings with JD Souther, Curry Grant, and who knows who all else. The lyrics to the song suggest that by the time she began going with Paul she was pretty guarded in relationships:

Take me
if you need me
But never
hold me down
You're asking me
to trust you
Well there's little of that around.

and

I need you
because you let me breathe
while you've
taken me away
But never
take me lightly
Or I could
never stay
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You are so incredibly RIGHT! "Sleeping Angel" is probably one of the TOP 10 BEST songs that Stevie has ever recorded.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yesterday after I finished work for the day and before iI knew about this thread, this song just popped into my head and I said to myself it would be the first SN Birthday song I would listen to when I got home. It of course sounded magnificent on my brand new speakers. And so I played that song and several more of hers in celebration of her 68th Birthday.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:47 PM

35 Years Ago: ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High’ Revolutionizes Teen Movies With Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz
By Annie Zaleski August 13, 2017 10:51 AM

Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which was released in theaters on Aug. 13, 1982, remains one of the most realistic teen movies of the ’80s.
That’s largely because the film’s source material was based on a true-to-life book written by Cameron Crowe, a journalist who had spent much of the ’70s writing about and interviewing artists such as Led Zeppelin, the Eagles and Steely Dan for Rolling Stone. When Crowe was 22, however, he and his publisher had an idea for a book: The writer would find out what it was really like to be a kid by going undercover at a high school.
“I had attended Ridgemont Senior High in Redondo Beach, California, for a summer session seven years earlier, and those eight weeks had been sublime and forbidden days, even if it did mean going to a school in the summer,” Crowe wrote in the introduction to the eventual book, also called Fast Times at Ridgemont High. “I normally attended a rather strict Catholic school, and there were many of us who believed that all our problems would be solved, all our dreams within reach if we just went to Ridgemont public high school.”
Crowe targeted the 1979-1980 school year and proposed the idea to Ridgemont Senior High’s principal, Dr. William Gray. “I wanted to attend classes at Ridgemont and remain an inconspicuous presence for the full length of the school year,” Crowe wrote. “The object, I told him, was to write a book about real, contemporary life in high school.” Convincing Dr. Gray to go along with his scheme was made easier after Crowe mentioned he had just interviewed “nice guy” Kris Kristofferson.
The resulting book focused on both the day-to-day mundanity and the drama, which was entirely the point. “It was my intention to write of the entire business–from academic competition to the sexual blunders–of teenage adulthood,” Crowe said in the book’s intro.
The movie preserved all of this. Framed by a school year, the plot revolves around a pair of siblings: brother Brad (Judge Reinhold), a hot-shot athlete who spends the entire year being humbled by his fast-food jobs and failing love life, and his younger sister, Stacy (Jennifer Jason Leigh), who’s exploring her sexuality with shy Mark Ratner (Brian Backer) and others.
Subscribe to Ultimate Classic Rock on
Stacy and her best friend and pizza parlor co-worker, Linda (Phoebe Cates), dish about love and sex at the mall where Ratner’s close friend, shady Mike Damone (Robert Romanus), scalps concert tickets. Along the way, everyone crosses paths with stoner surfer Jeff Spicoli (Sean Penn), who has a love-hate relationship with the stern teacher Mr. Hand (the late Ray Walston).
All of these characters still feel incredibly real and relatable, partly because the Fast Times universe doesn’t try to buff up the characters or make them be perfect. Spicoli smokes weed at every chance he gets while, on a more serious tone, Stacy has to get an abortion and deal with a one-night-stand who doesn’t exactly support her decision.
Fast Times was the first feature-length movie directed by Amy Heckerling, who would later go on to lens classics such as Clueless. However, she came on board after Crowe, who also wrote the movie’s screenplay, had met with other directors, including David Lynch.
“He had a very wry smile on his face as I sat talking with him,” Crowe recently told Variety about the meeting. “He went and read [the script]. We met again. He was very, very sweet about it, but slightly perplexed we thought of him. He said this was a really nice story but ‘It’s not really the kind of thing that I do, but good luck.'”
Heckerling ended up being a perfect choice, especially since she had plenty of ideas about how to improve the screenplay, and wasn’t shy about sharing them with Crowe. Among them was more emphasis on the mall, an element that dates the movie and adds to its sense of wistful nostalgia. “I love him to death. He’s a genius,” Heckerling said of Crowe in the same recent Variety interview. “We started playing with different ideas. The book, I thought, it had just such an amazing wealth of material. I thought a lot more of it could be incorporated into the script.”
Fast Times was co-produced by Art Linson and Irving Azoff—yes, the same Irving Azoff who’s the long-time manager of the Eagles and Steely Dan. Unsurprisingly, the mogul also executive produced the movie’s soundtrack. (Azoff’s then-Front Line Management partner, Howard Kaufman, who passed away in January 2017, also had a hand in compiling the tunes.) That meant the music of several Azoff clients appeared both in the movie and on the double-LP soundtrack. In particular, Eagles members Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit and Don Felder all have solo songs appear, while a prom band performs the band’s “Life in the Fast Lane.” Stevie Nicks‘ “Sleeping Angel,” as well as Jimmy Buffett‘s “I Don’t Know (Spicoli’s Theme)” also appear.
These classic rock-leaning nods are no accident. In a retrospective piece, IndieWire notes that Fast Times At Ridgemont High soundtrack was initially supposed to hew toward ’70s rockers—and Heckerling disagreed. “Being young as I was at the time, I really wanted a new, edgy ’80s music soundtrack,” she said in the book Breaking In. “I wanted Fear, Oingo Boingo, the Go-Go’s, the Talking Heads, and the Dead Kennedys. I was one of those obnoxious teenagers that thought that the music I liked was great and everything else sucked.”
In particular, Heckerling noted that successfully petitioning for Oingo Boingo’s “Goodbye Goodbye” to be in the film “was a big fight. But I had to make some compromises and put in some songs that I didn’t like at all.” Still, the mix of current and seasoned artists worked, especially because it reflected the musical shifts happening in the early ’80s, as classic rockers attempted to figure out where they fit into the burgeoning new wave scene. No wonder the soundtrack is also heavy into AOR, highlighted by the Ravyns’ “Raised on the Radio,” Sammy Hagar‘s “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” Quarterflash’s “Don’t Be Lonely” and Billy Squier‘s “Fast Times (The Best Years of Our Lives).” (In a what-could-have-been moment, Todd Rundgren recorded a song called “Attitude” for the movie, but it wasn’t used.)
In general, however, classic rock is a constant presence for the characters at Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Fast-talking, unctuous Mike Damone makes a quick buck scalping concert tickets. Early in the movie, two kids approach him and ask, “You the guy with the Van Halen tickets?” Damone offers up two seats within the first 10 rows for $20 a pop, though they were $12.50 originally. “All the other scalpers are sold out,” one buyer murmurs, which irritates Damone. “Did you call me a scalper? I perform a service here, and the service costs money.”
He isn’t always successful: He grumbles about Blue Oyster Cult not selling when a buyer asks about inventory (“I ate 34 pairs last time around. Where were you?”) and, at the end, it’s noted he was busted for scalping Ozzy Osbourne tickets. In his most memorable scene, however, he tries to impress a girl by singing Cheap Trick songs. To this day, the real-life band uses audio of that scene during its concert intros.
Stacy in particular has a poignant, fitting soundtrack following her around. The first day of school finds Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers‘ “American Girl” playing while she walks down the hall. Jackson Browne‘s aching “Somebody’s Baby,” meanwhile, reoccurs during multiple Stacy scenes, including when she sneaks out of her house and loses her virginity to a guy named Ron Johnson. In one of Fast Times‘ most memorable moments, the Cars‘ “Moving in Stereo” plays during a scene where Brad fantasizes about making out with a topless Linda, who had just emerged from the pool.
However, in other places, the classic rock and new wave nods are subtle—Damone has posters of the B-52s, Elvis Costello, the Rolling Stones‘ Tattoo You and Devo on his bedroom wall, while Brad is wearing a Bruce Springsteen shirt in the scene where he’s working at the Mi-T-Mart—or hilarious. Over the end credits, Spicoli’s future is revealed: “Saved Brooke Shields from drowning. Blows reward money hiring Van Halen to play his birthday party”
Stacy and Linda make gossipy jabs about the girls in their high school that look like Pat Benatar—headbands, lycra pants, spiky hair and all. Later, Damone shares his “five-point plan” for a date. “This is most important: When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin IV.” Cue them driving in the car with “Kashmir” (which is on Physical Graffiti, of course) on the stereo. And, if you blink, you’ll miss Brad making eyes at Heart’s Nancy Wilson in a convertible.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High‘s soundtrack crested at No. 54 on the Billboard album chart, but the movie only made $27 million at the box office. However, Crowe shared with Variety that the movie actually almost never even reached theaters. “What happened is somebody wrote a memo shortly before the movie was released,” he recalls. “They wrote a letter to [Universal executives] Ned Tanen and Sid Sheinberg that said the future of the studio was in doubt if we are making movies like this high school movie.” According to Crowe, Tanen stood firm, however.
“He stood up and said ‘I’m putting the movie out, but we’re cutting the theaters down to 200.’ But what happened is the weekend the movie came out, the kids who went to see it loved Sean Penn so much, the word got out that there was this movie with this character who wore checkerboard Vans, called the teacher a d— and ordered pizza into the room. They started showing up.
“The studio never caught up to the demand to see it,” he adds. “They were always scrambling to try and get into more theaters, but it never worked out until the movie came out on VHS and was a big hit.”
Today, the movie is ubiquitous on streaming services and other formats. (Crowe’s book, however, is much more difficult to find: Copies start at $125 on Amazon.) Fast Times at Ridgemont High paved the way not only for the soundtrack boom of the ’80s, but also for other smart teen movies. According to Crowe, studio executive Sheinberg “did a post-mortem to find out how they had messed up” and missed seeing why the movie would resonate.
“Out of it came this desire to do more movies like Fast Times and I think the next thing that happened is that they gave John Hughes a deal and greenlit like three of his movies pretty quickly out of that,” he told Variety. “[Fast Times] created a new cottage industry at Universal.”

Read More: 35 Years Ago: 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' Revolutionizes Teen Movies With Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fast-...ckback=tsmclip
Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Sleeping Angel" is one of the 10 BEST Stevie Nicks songs ever recorded.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Sleeping Angel" is one of the 10 BEST Stevie Nicks songs ever recorded.
I agree. During 1981-1983 Stevie could do no wrong. Every song was so good and to have such a brilliant song given to a movie soundtrack. I wish it made an album along with All the beautiful worlds. I love the movie Fast Times but it was supposed to be a major flop. It was only released in one LA theater and it instantly became a cult classic with the same people going back to watch it over and over. Then it started to be released to other major cities before being fully released. The song could have been buried in a lost movie soundtrack. Her voice during these years was also the best.
All of Bella Donna and its demos and tracks, the Mirage songs, the movie songs (Blue Lamp and Sleeping Angel) plus the other songs like All the beautiful worlds and The Wild Heart are her best era no doubt.
Sleeping Angel is a beautiful song but she is also singing from the heart which really makes the song even more profound.