The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Nooo!! Broken camera 2 days before gig!

Disaster! My digital camera has decided, for no apparent reason, to stubbornly stop working 2 days before I'm sue to see the Mac in Glasgow. I've tried everything and it's just refusing to play ball. Damnit!

I'm hoping that others will be taking pics and posting them here so that I can have a look and relive what I'm sure will be a GREAT night?!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Disaster! My digital camera has decided, for no apparent reason, to stubbornly stop working 2 days before I'm sue to see the Mac in Glasgow. I've tried everything and it's just refusing to play ball. Damnit!

I'm hoping that others will be taking pics and posting them here so that I can have a look and relive what I'm sure will be a GREAT night?!
Oh no... sorry to hear that! I suppose you couldn't borrow one?

I'm bringing along my ancient Canon Elph, but honestly I haven't mastered the art of concert photography with these point-and-shoot things. The pics are either too dark or way over-exposed. If I get a good recommendation on a camera that takes good concert pics, I will pick one up on the way home from work tonight!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

I'm bringing along my ancient Canon Elph, but honestly I haven't mastered the art of concert photography with these point-and-shoot things. The pics are either too dark or way over-exposed. If I get a good recommendation on a camera that takes good concert pics, I will pick one up on the way home from work tonight!
Any digital camera works well. I've called me friends who have one and no luck. One of them is using theirs and the other one actually belongs to my friends brother so she doesn;t want to lend it. Imay actually pick up a cheap disposable one. Believe it or not they take some great pics! Just means that I can;t get them on my computer or anything because I don;t have a scanner. Also you get the dreaded red eye.

I'm hoping someone takes some pics and is able to post them? This is so annoying!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Any digital camera works well. I've called me friends who have one and no luck. One of them is using theirs and the other one actually belongs to my friends brother so she doesn;t want to lend it. Imay actually pick up a cheap disposable one. Believe it or not they take some great pics! Just means that I can;t get them on my computer or anything because I don;t have a scanner. Also you get the dreaded red eye.

I'm hoping someone takes some pics and is able to post them? This is so annoying!
We have some photo stores here in Germany where you can rent a camera for a day or two. Maybe this is possible in your area too???
Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Awww, that wasn't good....so sorry for you!!! And hope you can borrow a camera anywhere!! Or do you have a great cellphone you can take pics with it???

Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think it depends on if you want to use a flash. I've had no luck with that, they always end up blurry and I get the Stevie look of death. The shutter speeds are just too slow with the point and shoots I've owned and currently own. Now Alicia (Haunted Song) uses flash and her pics always come out great, so maybe she'll pop in here and tell you what kind she has, and Patty's always has some great shots as well.. Additionally I would ask Melanie from Germany and Suzy from the Netherlands what kind of cameras they used, they both have gorgeous photos.

For not using a flash I had a cheap Nikon for the longest time, which generally worked pretty well, but it helps if you take your shots when there is more light on the stage. I've also lightened the pics up on a photo editor with so-so results. My new camera (Lumix TZ25) has a highly-sensitive mode which uses no flash, and I was very pleased with the results.

You can see the difference pretty clearly:

Chicago Show with old Nikon:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ErinE.Br...acChicago3609#

Milwaukee show with the Lumix:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ErinE.Br...lwaukee682009#

I hope you find what you need, good luck!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldnīt be so sad. You know, many people takes pictures and videos there. And as I mentioned, the songs which I record as video I didnīt enjoy so much like the others. I mean that when you are filming, you are concentrating to the camera or just that filming, not the whole show. So without any taking pictures and making videos you can enjoy the show much more I think.

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I wouldnīt be so sad. You know, many people takes pictures and videos there. And as I mentioned, the songs which I record as video I didnīt enjoy so much like the others. I mean that when you are filming, you are concentrating to the camera or just that filming, not the whole show. So without any taking pictures and making videos you can enjoy the show much more I think.
I'm in love with your signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

i used a digital disposable camera during 1 of the shows i saw during the 'say you will' tour & the pics turned out wonderful~ can you get one where you live?~ i believe it was a kodak~ & when i turned it into walmart, i got actual copies of the photos & a cd so i could post them here~ it didn't cost much at all~
Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

I agree, it just would have been nice is all. Oh well. As you say, I';m sure there will be some on here soon enough!

As for renting/replacing the camera, I'm vroke with the cost of my trip and acommodation (even though it's not far!) so that's not an option. Never mind. Thanks guys!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I think it depends on if you want to use a flash. I've had no luck with that, they always end up blurry and I get the Stevie look of death. The shutter speeds are just too slow with the point and shoots I've owned and currently own. Now Alicia (Haunted Song) uses flash and her pics always come out great, so maybe she'll pop in here and tell you what kind she has, and Patty's always has some great shots as well.. Additionally I would ask Melanie from Germany and Suzy from the Netherlands what kind of cameras they used, they both have gorgeous photos.

For not using a flash I had a cheap Nikon for the longest time, which generally worked pretty well, but it helps if you take your shots when there is more light on the stage. I've also lightened the pics up on a photo editor with so-so results. My new camera (Lumix TZ25) has a highly-sensitive mode which uses no flash, and I was very pleased with the results.

You can see the difference pretty clearly:

Chicago Show with old Nikon:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ErinE.Br...acChicago3609#

Milwaukee show with the Lumix:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ErinE.Br...lwaukee682009#

I hope you find what you need, good luck!
I think I may as well paint a target on my forehead if I used a flash. Stevie stare of death, indeed!

I've had bad experiences with Nikon and Panasonic cameras- they both broke very prematurely. By contrast, I must have dropped, kicked and dipped my Canon in acid a billion times, and it's still ticking like a trooper. Again, the problem is that without a flash, everything gets overexposed, so faces and other bright surfaces are just a big light blur. Perhaps there is a setting on the Canon, e.g., portrait, landscape, etc., that can help offset this? Unfortunately there isn't much you can do in terms of manual settings, save for perhaps adjusting the ISO.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think I may as well paint a target on my forehead if I used a flash. Stevie stare of death, indeed!

I've had bad experiences with Nikon and Panasonic cameras- they both broke very prematurely. By contrast, I must have dropped, kicked and dipped my Canon in acid a billion times, and it's still ticking like a trooper. Again, the problem is that without a flash, everything gets overexposed, so faces and other bright surfaces are just a big light blur. Perhaps there is a setting on the Canon, e.g., portrait, landscape, etc., that can help offset this? Unfortunately there isn't much you can do in terms of manual settings, save for perhaps adjusting the ISO.
I always go in with the idea I'm going to get a Canon and end up with something else. My Nikon still works just fine (I've dropped that thing a million times), I just wanted something better. I ended up getting the Lumix because of the HD taping feature, which does work wonderfully, unfortunately they paired it with a sub par soundcard. My Lumix really upped the ISO w/o the flash, at some points it was at 4000. I'm still getting used to that camera. I wish they still made them with viewfinders. The point and shoot market still seems more interested in packing in the megapixels rather than having more lowlight features. I always used the sports setting on the old Nikon, and I'm assuming Canon has something similar, but you end up with a lot of dark pictures as you know. Like I said before you may just want to stick with shooting when the lights are up.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

my canon just won't die!!!~ i want a new camera, but it just keeps on ticking & ticking~
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
my canon just won't die!!!~ i want a new camera, but it just keeps on ticking & ticking~
Try stomping on it a few times? Take pictures with the flash directly in Stevie's eyeline and maybe she'll rip it out of your hands and stomp on it for you. Then you could sell it on ebay and use the profit to buy a new one. I can see the ad now: "Extremely rare broken camera stomped on by Stevie Nicks' platform boot."
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Try stomping on it a few times? Take pictures with the flash directly in Stevie's eyeline and maybe she'll rip it out of your hands and stomp on it for you. Then you could sell it on ebay and use the profit to buy a new one. I can see the ad now: "Extremely rare broken camera stomped on by Stevie Nicks' platform boot."
I got such a strong visual on that one.
Stevie stomping on the camera shouting... TAKE THAT LINDSEY!

Seriously though... sorry about the broken camera. Hope there are lots of pics and vids from other fans that pop up.