Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie and Lindsey circa Tango In The Night

I do not know the history, but "Welcome to the Room Sara" just popped up on my ipod and I was reminded of the interpretation of this song as Stevie wondering what people's reactions will be to her when she gets out of rehab --specifically that of Lindsey. Lindsey and CAH had been broken up. Stevie had gotten clean. FM were making an album. So here's my question:

Was Stevie hoping she and Lindsey would get back together?

Did Klonopin and the pressures/difficulties of the album keep them apart?

p.s. - This may be the silliest thread OP ever. apologies in advance.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 10-17-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I remember my mother telling me once that when Mirage came out, and even Tango, she was surprised. She always thought the band was finished after TUSK.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I do not know the history, but "Welcome to the Room Sara" just popped up on my ipod and I was reminded of the interpretation of this song as Stevie wondering what people's reactions will be to her when she gets out of rehab --specifically that of Lindsey. Lindsey and CAH had been broken up. Stevie had gotten clean. FM were making an album. So here's my question:

Did Klonopin and the pressures of the album keep them apart?

p.s. - This may be the silliest thread OP ever. apologies in advance.
Reminds me of "Blue Denim":

So, I'm going away for a little while
To remember how to feel
And, if I find the answer
I promise you -
I'll come back and get you
Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I remember my mother telling me once that when Mirage came out, and even Tango, she was surprised. She always thought the band was finished after TUSK.
That's depressing. I wonder if a lot of people felt this way.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
It does seem like a miracle that they could even be in the same room together after Rumours, never mind Tusk.

I personally think Stevie held out hope. And I also think they had something going on then, due to the interviews that say 'Lindsey and I were over in 1987'. I think an argument between the two of them and sort of snowballed into involving the rest of the group led to the relationship's ultimate demise, and Lindsey walking out on the band. I don't think it was unrelated to the two of them being together, like Stevie and Lindsey imply.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Reminds me of "Blue Denim":

So, I'm going away for a little while
To remember how to feel
And, if I find the answer
I promise you -
I'll come back and get you
Stevie has said that if not for the Klonopin, Fleetwood Mac might have gotten back together sooner and maybe had more albums. So, even if she doesn't think she and Lindsey would have reunited romantically if things had been different, say, around December 1990, I do think she thinks they would have had a professional relationship again earlier than they did.

Michele
Old 10-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I can see why. Either because they figured Tusk couldn't match/top Rumours in sales, or that it was so good that the band had obviously peaked. I agree with the latter - as much as I liked songs from Mirage and Tango, when it comes to a full album, they never could ~match the beauty again~
Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie has said that if not for the Klonopin, Fleetwood Mac might have gotten back together sooner and maybe had more albums. So, even if she doesn't think she and Lindsey would have reunited romantically if things had been different, say, around December 1990, I do think she thinks they would have had a professional relationship again earlier than they did.

Michele
I heard she was so screwed up when LB came to do those two shows in '90 she didn't even recognize members of his family. He was terribly upset and worried about her during that time, understandably so.

Her dedication here always kills me:

Old 10-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I heard she was so screwed up when LB came to do those two shows in '90 she didn't even recognize members of his family. He was terribly upset and worried about her during that time, understandably so.
Holy crap. For some reason that made my heart sink when I read it. I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I do not know the history, but "Welcome to the Room Sara" just popped up on my ipod and I was reminded of the interpretation of this song as Stevie wondering what people's reactions will be to her when she gets out of rehab --specifically that of Lindsey.
When I think of the Tango sessions -- the majority of which took place in 1986, not 1987 -- I think of Buckingham, Chris McVie, & the engineers handling the bulk of the work. Fleetwood was drinking & snorting heavily & reportedly not contributing much to the team at that point, John McVie never was crazy about the recording studio, & Nicks was touring her own album (including all the publicity & the concert film post-production). I'm not sure just how "Welcome to the Room" fits into the time line.

Quote:
Lindsey and CAH had been broken up.
Several years prior. His girlfriend at the time was Cheri Caspari, who was living with him when the band recorded at the Slope (his home).

Quote:
Stevie had gotten clean.
I don't think so. Not yet. She toured her own album through the beginning of October 1986, & the album was probably ready for final mixing or mastering not long after that, when she was heading back to rehab for the second time.

Quote:
Beats me. Was she secretly hoping to move in with him again? It strikes me as unlikely, but I don't know what she was thinking.

Quote:
Did Klonopin and the pressures/difficulties of the album keep them apart?
The Klonopin postdates the making of the album, but certainly the difficulties of making that album -- lack of band commitment, to put it in a nutshell -- must have driven them all apart emotionally, not just Nicks & Buckingham. We've talked about it before, but another sputtering relationship that hurt Buckingham deeply was his once-strong friendship with Mick.

There was a great deal of putting on a front among the members at that time. At the charity show that Buckingham, Nicks, & Fleetwood played in August 1986, they didn't even mix much backstage; & yet Buckingham spoke onstage about how "healing" making the album had been.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippilil86 View Post
Holy crap. For some reason that made my heart sink when I read it. I can't even imagine what that would be like.
And Lindsey's brother had just died too, which I'm sure just made not recognizing Stevie even harder. I mean, in this new interview, she is talking about being the caregiver in the past and if she hadn't been in the grip of Klonopin at the time of those BTM shows, I'm sure she would have wanted to be that for him then.

Michele
Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

The Klonopin postdates the making of the album, but certainly the difficulties of making that album -- lack of band commitment, to put it in a nutshell -- must have driven them all apart emotionally, not just Nicks & Buckingham. We've talked about it before, but another sputtering relationship that hurt Buckingham deeply was his once-strong friendship with Mick.

There was a great deal of putting on a front among the members at that time. At the charity show that Buckingham, Nicks, & Fleetwood played in August 1986, they didn't even mix much backstage; & yet Buckingham spoke onstage about how "healing" making the album had been.
In one of the recent interviews that was posted, too, it was said that Mick was living in a trailer at the bottom of Lindsey's garden at the time of the making of Tango. That was probably pretty rough to see, and I'm sure that Mick was hard to be within yards of at the time, as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I think Lindsey's feelings for Mick are almost as deep and contradictory as any he has for Stevie. Even if he feels alienated from Mick sometimes, I think he sees him as an older brother. It's strange, because even when he's feeling light and friendly, he'd have a lot of censorious things to say about Mick --yet I think he looks up to him.

Michele
Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i've always wondered if lindsey was an underlying reason why she went to rehab. like, in the back of her mind maybe she wondered well, if i get clean and start making great music again, maybe lindsey and i can have some sort of relationship again, coz everything is really **** right now.

and she seems absolutely devastated when he left
i dont care what she says
that's a huge chunk of her life that just disappeared

which reminds me of this fic, i cant remember the name or who wrote it but it was about Stevie getting out of rehab and she was hurt [read: pissed] that Lindsey never came to visit her. anyone know where that is? i love it

Quote:
I don't think so. Not yet. She toured her own album through the beginning of October 1986, & the album was probably ready for final mixing or mastering not long after that, when she was heading back to rehab for the second time.
Stevie went to rehab in Nov 86 right?
yet she continually references going in 1985
i've heard she went twice many times over the years
so when was the "first" time? refresh my memory please

Last edited by StreetAngel86; 10-17-2009 at 09:20 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And Lindsey's brother had just died too, which I'm sure just made not recognizing Stevie even harder. I mean, in this new interview, she is talking about being the caregiver in the past and if she hadn't been in the grip of Klonopin at the time of those BTM shows, I'm sure she would have wanted to be that for him then.

Michele
I've always been curious about Lindsey's feelings towards Stevie's addiction to Klopoin. I had never before heard anything from him about this issue. So interesting, thanks for sharing!