Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Good lord. This is a huge loss. My condolences to his family and friends especially Stevie who is sure to be devastated by this horrible news.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday night, according to TMZ, and rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support. CBS confirmed Petty's death. He was 66.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recently completed a summer tour last Monday with three nights at the Hollywood Bowl. The trek marked the band's 40th anniversary and found him playing rarely played deep cuts like their first album's opener, "Rockin' Around (With You)," and a selection of Wildflowers cuts. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country." He told Rolling Stone, though, that it wasn't his intention to quit playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.

In the late Seventies, Petty's romanticized tales of rebels, outcasts and refugees started climbing the pop charts. When he sang, his voice was filled with a heartfelt drama that perfectly complemented the Heartbreakers' ragged rock & roll. Songs like "The Waiting," "You Got Lucky," "I Won't Back Down," "Learning to Fly" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" all dominated Billboard's rock chart, and the majority of Petty's albums have been certified either gold or platinum. His most recent release, Hypnotic Eye, debuted at Number One in 2014. Petty, who also recorded as a solo artist and as a member of the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

This story is developing.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And you think to yourself ... I mean I saw Walter Becker on stage and he looked so unhealthy, so it wasn't a surprise to me. I thought that was coming. But with Tom Petty I just thought he'd be going strong for another 20 years, no matter how unrealistic that sounds. That's what I thought in my head, if I ever thought about it.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am devastated. Just so upset.
First, the Vegas shootings. Then one of my fave musicians of all time suddenly is dead.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bet Stevie is distraught right now!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Too soon.

Stevie will be devastated.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't believe this - awful!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I bet Stevie is distraught right now!
Yeah, between Vegas and TP, what else??? Sad day all around!!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face Tom Petty, Rock Iconoclast Who Led the Heartbreakers, Dead at 66

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...200300164.html

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday night, according to TMZ, and rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support. CBS confirmed Petty's death. He was 66.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recently completed a summer tour last Monday with three nights at the Hollywood Bowl. The trek marked the band's 40th anniversary and found him playing rarely played deep cuts like their first album's opener, "Rockin' Around (With You)," and a selection of Wildflowers cuts. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country." He told Rolling Stone, though, that it wasn't his intention to quit playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.

In the late Seventies, Petty's romanticized tales of rebels, outcasts and refugees started climbing the pop charts. When he sang, his voice was filled with a heartfelt drama that perfectly complemented the Heartbreakers' ragged rock & roll. Songs like "The Waiting," "You Got Lucky," "I Won't Back Down," "Learning to Fly" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" all dominated Billboard's rock chart, and the majority of Petty's albums have been certified either gold or platinum. His most recent release, Hypnotic Eye, debuted at Number One in 2014. Petty, who also recorded as a solo artist and as a member of the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

----------------------------------------------------

Man, this October is already starting to suck. Reminds me of the past 40 Octobers...

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also thought of Stevie.

You don't have all the time in the world. What a reminder.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Ledgie

Terrible news; one of the great songwriters. Worth mentioning that he and Lindsey were friends as well. Produced songs for the She's The One soundtrack with him and some tracks on The Last DJ, and the Johnny Cash Unchained album. RIP
Old 10-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really upset over this. He was such a solid character and great artist. I never thought of him dying this young. This is a complete shock.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel crushed. Who could have seen this coming? Poor Stevie. I can’t imagine what she’s going through. Last summer’s festival comments take on new gravity. He meant so much to her. We have lost such a legend. RIP Tom Petty
Old 10-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow I'm stunned by this. This day has been full of tragedy. I feel for his family and friends right now. I know Stevie is devastated. She absolutely adored Tom.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP Tom. I am in shock!