Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The best ever performance of Stand Back

This is the best performance of Stand Back ever - filmed in 2003 in Boston. The bongo drums at the start building anticipation. The thrust of Lindsey's guitar. That bass line. The beat of Mick's drums. Stevie's powerhouse vocal (that she wasn't able to deliver in 2009 or 2013). Just magic.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Registered

ever? she is never going to sing it again ,?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
ever? she is never going to sing it again ,?
Odds are she will sing it again, yes.

I highly doubt Stevie could match let alone beat the vocal she delivered on this occasion. The 2007 vocal (featured on Live in Chicago) is lacklustre by comparison.

Also - it's not all about Stevie! The 2003 live performance of Stand Back is made great because of the instrumental arrangement and exemplar playing that Mick (and the other drummer), John and Lindsey deliver.

Last edited by secret love; 12-05-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Old 12-05-2014, 08:15 AM

My favourite performance is the SNL one, I think this song is made for Waddy.
My favourite bootleg is Oakland 1983: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6vjz...Stand_Back.mp3
Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fun version! She's so active! But the best version is "House of Blues" Stand Back. Those vocals cannot be defeated, they are AMAZING. Same goes for Talk To Me on the album. I don't know from what concert it is, but it's sooo perfect. Actually what concert is that? I wish there was a video.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, there's a few things to point out here...

"This is the best performance of Stand Back ever"

No. Just because YOU think it is, doesn't make it the best. I personally never cared for it and thought Stevie sounded very nasal on the LIB DVD. I also don't like "Stand Back" in the Fleetwood Mac setlist. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

2. "I highly doubt Stevie could match let alone beat the vocal she delivered on this occasion"

Oh, really? Go and listen to some of the 1983 performances. Infact, listen to ANY performances. Houston 89, The Whiskey 91, House of Blues 94, The Cloak and Daggers recorded, Oakland 83, SNL 83, Solid Gold 84, Vegas 2005. The list goes on and on and on.

3. "The 2007 vocal (featured on Live in Chicago) is lacklustre by comparison"

Disagree entirely. I love that version and some of my absolute favourite SB performances are from the Crystal Visions tour.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^

You sound angry, haha. When someone says "this is the best x" you know they mean "in my opinion this is the best x", right? ^_~ Not having a political debate.

Also is there a video for the House of Blues performance? Since you know so much about it.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
But the best version is "House of Blues" Stand Back. Those vocals cannot be defeated, they are AMAZING. Same goes for Talk To Me on the album. I don't know from what concert it is, but it's sooo perfect. Actually what concert is that? I wish there was a video.
That's the "Welcome To My World" radio broadcast. I absolutely love that whole show!! The vocals at the end of "Talk To Me" are something else indeed! It was great to hear Stevie's solo version of "The Chain" too.

Quote:
^

Also is there a video for the House of Blues performance? Since you know so much about it.
Not that I know of. It was a soundboard recording made for radio broadcast, I don't believe it was ever filmed.

Quote:
^

You sound angry, haha. When someone says "this is the best x" you know they mean "in my opinion this is the best x", right? ^_~ Not having a political debate.
I am a little. I get really annoyed with the whole "my opinion is fact and you are wrong because you don't agree" attitude. What's wrong with simply saying "this is my favourite performance of this song"? That way, you're sharing a valid opinion and opening up the conversation for other people's favourite performances. The way the OP has written this reads very much "this is the best version. end of"

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 12-05-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Old 12-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Ok, there's a few things to point out here...

"This is the best performance of Stand Back ever"

No. Just because YOU think it is, doesn't make it the best. I personally never cared for it and thought Stevie sounded very nasal on the LIB DVD. I also don't like "Stand Back" in the Fleetwood Mac setlist. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

2. "I highly doubt Stevie could match let alone beat the vocal she delivered on this occasion"

Oh, really? Go and listen to some of the 1983 performances. Infact, listen to ANY performances. Houston 89, The Whiskey 91, House of Blues 94, The Cloak and Daggers recorded, Oakland 83, SNL 83, Solid Gold 84, Vegas 2005. The list goes on and on and on.

3. "The 2007 vocal (featured on Live in Chicago) is lacklustre by comparison"

Disagree entirely. I love that version and some of my absolute favourite SB performances are from the Crystal Visions tour.
What I meant was in 2014 Stevie could not beat the LIB vocal. Her vocals from the eighties are better, but they happened in the past. You misunderstood me. What I meant was In future, Stevie could not match let alone beat this vocal.

I don't know why you're so angry with me. This is my favourite performance of Stand Back. I never said that it has to be your favourite too. If it's not, that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

What really makes the LIB performance special to me is the instrumental arrangement, Stevie's energy and theatrics (Those twirls are so fast! Not bad for a 55 year old woman!) - not the vocals.

Last edited by secret love; 12-05-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Old 12-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

To me, the best version of Stand Back will always be the 1983 performance on Saturday Night Live.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15889162a...s+-+Stand+Back

She was ON.POINT. that night. The energy, the vocals, the facial expressions, her movements. I will never tire of watching this one. I wish there was a better version somewhere
Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls90 View Post
To me, the best version of Stand Back will always be the 1983 performance on Saturday Night Live.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15889162a...s+-+Stand+Back

She was ON.POINT. that night. The energy, the vocals, the facial expressions, her movements. I will never tire of watching this one. I wish there was a better version somewhere
I'm glad my post has opened up some debate and I am enjoying watching and listening to other people's favourite performances of this classic Stevie Nicks song.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:58 AM

I think the Landover version is really underrated, it's the cutest version of all!
The vocals aren't bad either even with all that coke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8ZshuW8vE
Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default :)

I know this isn't recent but this has always been one of my faves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srEdNc4z7Q
Old 12-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This one has always been my fav

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I know this isn't recent but this has always been one of my faves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srEdNc4z7Q
From 1991 to 1998 it was like a totally different person!