The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure what her fascination with Twisted is all about. It also was on Enchanted because she thought no one heard it on the movie sound track. But I wonder what it will sound like as a ballad.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Early on everyone was wondering why Christine was in Nashville looks like she was just hanging out with Stevie since she's not on the personnel list..
I don't think they listed the "guest stars." Vanessa Carlton isn't listed either, and I'm pretty sure you can hear her singing backing vocals on Carousel.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this UNCUT review is as good a review as an album of never-quite-made-it-for-one-reason-or-another songs as you can get. Honestly, I hope all the reviews are as good.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
When songs go into movies you might as well dump them out the window as you're driving by because they never get heard

THIS is why I love Stevie friggin Nicks
Bet she wouldn't say that to Goldfinger.

Michele
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've never been a big fan of Twisted. Maybe I'll have a change of heart hearing it as a ballad.

Also

I wish I had ordered the vinyl of 24 Karat Gold since it drops next week. They've closed the Tower store here in Nashville, so it looks like I'll be hitting up another store!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod~A~Little View Post
I wish I had ordered the vinyl of 24 Karat Gold since it drops next week. They've closed the Tower store here in Nashville, so it looks like I'll be hitting up another store!

Off Topic (sorry) ~ Rod, I worked at that VERY Tower (off West End in Nashville) for the last 6 years of its existence. BEST...JOB...EVER!!! If it were still open, I'd still be working there...and we would've sold the "24 Karat Gold" vinyl at Midnight on Tuesday morning, like we did with ALL new releases every week. No one does that anymore.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Off Topic (sorry) ~ Rod, I worked at that VERY Tower (off West End in Nashville) for the last 6 years of its existence. BEST...JOB...EVER!!! If it were still open, I'd still be working there...and we would've sold the "24 Karat Gold" vinyl at Midnight on Tuesday morning, like we did with ALL new releases every week. No one does that anymore.
I loved Tower! I was in there ALL the time! I know I must have seen you in there! Wow, that's great!

I was at Tower at midnight to get Trouble In Shangri La too!

Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod~A~Little View Post

I was at Tower at midnight to get Trouble In Shangri La too!

I probably sold it to you!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thought it sounded like Benmont's playing.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There should be more reviews than this by now. Please post.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default It's Okay

I'm a huge Stevie fan...and I have to admit this album is OK. There are some great moments like "Lady", "The Dealer", and "Mabel Normand". However, there are some stinkers, or at the very least, some that do not capture the magic of the original demos. You can hear the fact this album was recoreded in only 15 days. In my opinion, that is NOTHING to brag about. "Blue Water" does not hold a candle to the beautiful demo version and the recording for "All The Beautiful Worlds" just sounds lazy. My favorite parts were simply omitted from the end of the songs cadence. Finally, "If You Were My Love" is in the key of HORRID. What key is it in exactly why did they choose it. At this point, I am not sure Stevie streaming this album for free on Amazon.com was a good idea. Yesterday I was so excited to buy it and now, it's like a household chore I have to do. Of course I will buy it to support my girl, but STEVIE...shame on you.

Last edited by TribalTwinSC; 10-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: quotations
Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalTwinSC View Post
Of course I will buy it to support my girl, but STEVIE...shame on you.
Very interesting to hear your views. I respectfully disagree - far from shame, I would say bravo for creating one of the finest solo albums of her career - on par with her first three albums, and better than anything she's done since the mid-1980s.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
Very interesting to hear your views. I respectfully disagree - far from shame, I would say bravo for creating one of the finest solo albums of her career - on par with her first three albums, and better than anything she's done since the mid-1980s.
It's interesting, because Bella Donna & Wild Heart were recorded extremely quickly, just like 24k. And those are often cited by fans as Stevie's best solo efforts. In fact, I believe Wild Heart was recorded in even less time than 24k- 12 days, right?

I think this record quickly with minimal production is the best formula for Stevie. The magic of her music isn't lost in syrupy production, electronic/synthetic noise, and endless overdubs. Despite that, there's still an atmosphere to these songs. I'd say it's actually because of the lack of clutter that these songs have atmosphere.

I still can't rank this album compared to her others, though. I think part of it might be because this is almost more of a compilation than an album to me.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
^^^This. I think this record is the BEST STEVIE NICKS album in the past 25 plus years. And you guys know that I don't say things like that lightly. It's like the greatest hits that us "hard core fans" would want. There's just a magic to it...in her vocals, her energy, her emotion. There's just something there that I haven't heard from her in YEARS. It's like she's rediscovered the joy of making music again, but making music for HERSELF and not making music to garner another "hit record", "chart topper" or "money maker".

JMHO.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It's interesting, because Bella Donna & Wild Heart were recorded extremely quickly, just like 24k. And those are often cited by fans as Stevie's best solo efforts. In fact, I believe Wild Heart was recorded in even less time than 24k- 12 days, right?

I think this record quickly with minimal production is the best formula for Stevie. The magic of her music isn't lost in syrupy production, electronic/synthetic noise, and endless overdubs. Despite that, there's still an atmosphere to these songs. I'd say it's actually because of the lack of clutter that these songs have atmosphere.

I still can't rank this album compared to her others, though. I think part of it might be because this is almost more of a compilation than an album to me.
Absolutely - and I hope Stevie agrees!

If I had only listened to the standard tracklisting, I may agree that this is more of a compilation album. But listening to the songs as sequenced on the Deluxe album, and as organized on vinyl, with four distinct sides, this album feels more cohesive than anything she's done in a long time. It has a clear arc, and tells a story, in my view. Really impressed that she pulled this off.