Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Best Albums of 2014

Stevie made the list!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-rock-albums-2014/
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is nice but I wish she would of made it higher on the list. God, I can't tell you what I felt as a fan, who has purchased multiple albums just to support my favorite artist, (bought 5 copies of Street Angel…) only to be disappointed.

When I heard 24K and realized what she really did, I was in HEAVEN. This is the missing link; the long, lost album that I have always wanted. I wasn't' expecting that much, especially after I heard what demos she recorded. She totally surprised me. In Your Dreams was a good POP album, but 24K is a good CLASSIC ROCK ALBUM. The type of music that made Stevie famous. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HEAR THIS SIDE OF STEVIE AGAIN.

In my opinion, she has worked her way up from the low of Street Angel to this and I cannot wait until she comes out with another album. Recordings last forever, and I'm sure people will appreciate this throughout time.

Thank you Stevie!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Thanks.

Nick Deriso, Ultimate Classic Rock

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-rock-albums-2014/

'24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault'

Filched copies of poorly recorded sessions work initially sparked this project, which found Nicks -- as the title suggests -- polishing up officially unreleased songs. The results were transformative, and one of the best albums of 2014. Songs like 'Lady,' a starkly emotional piano-driven ballad, made clear that Nicks has, for too long, hidden behind effects -- be they electronic, sartorial or otherwise. Stripped of artifice throughout, Nicks connected on an elemental level that she simply couldn’t while swaddled in synths or shawls. Elsewhere, she reclaimed 'Twisted,' a stripped-down demo that ultimately turned into this big-production duet with Lindsey Buckingham for the 1996 film 'Twister.' Here, she found the middle ground between both eras, recapturing the wounded fragility of her earliest passes while she filled out the empty spaces -- but without over-decorating. That's the hallmark of '24 Karat Gold,' which becomes this delicate triumph.

Read More: Best Albums of 2014 | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-...ckback=tsmclip
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Look at it in a positive way: Stevie is at the top of the list! We should appreciate that Stevie's album was acknowledged and praised. The list is just some writer's personal choices; the ranking isn't any more significant than all of the opinion polls posted on this site.

Tom Petty's album is the only other one I have from that list. I took notice that Bruce Springsteen's album is a gathering of covers, outtakes and re-recordings. Hmm...doesn't that sound oddly familiar? I wonder if he endured the same cynical criticism and inane statements that followed Stevie's album?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-11-2014 at 03:50 AM..
Old 12-11-2014, 07:55 AM

I think we should take into account that this album received very little promotion and in some states there was no promotion at all, so this album making it into this list so shortly from its release it's an amazing result.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I think we should take into account that this album received very little promotion and in some states there was no promotion at all, so this album making it into this list so shortly from its release it's an amazing result.
What's super interesting is none of these artists (except maybe Springsteen and Petty) didn't have any great promotion either for their new albums. I didn't hear anything from a promotion to make me aware of the new albums listed, I own Nicks, Petty and Plant from the list. I also think the Robert Plant album should have been #1. Awesome album.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
What's super interesting is none of these artists (except maybe Springsteen and Petty) didn't have any great promotion either for their new albums. I didn't hear anything from a promotion to make me aware of the new albums listed, I own Nicks, Petty and Plant from the list. I also think the Robert Plant album should have been #1. Awesome album.
Tom Petty had a lot of promotional publicity for Hypnotic eye and performed a set of 4 songs on the Jimmy Fallon show (or was it another?), he didn't tour or release anything for a while since this year so there was a lot of anticipation.
I'm not a Plant-expert but I've read quite a lot of articles and saw a bunch of interviews about his new solo effort even in italian magazines and it was viewed as one of the most anticipated album of this year.
On the whole, this two artists have had a lot more publicity than Stevie.

In my opinion Hypnotic eye should have been first, Plant second and AC/DC third. Stevie could have been 6th and higher than Slash anyway. I appreciate him but I feel his style became much more coarse strange for a musician of his experience.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whoever compiled that list is living in the past. There were great rock albums released in 2014 *not* by musical acts who peaked 2, 3 or 4 decades ago.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-11-2014, 01:07 PM

The site is called "Ultimateclassicrock", it's a site that is meant to talk about "musical acts who peaked 2, 3 or 4 decades ago", if you want to see news about new rock acts you have to see one of the fellow sites managed from the same people:
http://loudwire.com/
http://diffuser.fm/

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 12-11-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Old 12-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
The site is called "Ultimateclassicrock", it's a site that is meant to talk about "musical acts who peaked 2, 3 or 4 decades ago", if you want to see news about new rock acts you have to see one of the fellow sites managed from the same people:
Well, I guess you have a point there. I'd hardly call a brand new album "classic rock" though, no matter who releases it. How about "Rock from classic acts".
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Well, I guess you have a point there. I'd hardly call a brand new album "classic rock" though, no matter who releases it. How about "Rock from classic acts".
Well, that would be too long for a title but congratulations for the spirit!