The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You get a very clear sense of Stevie's dissatisfaction with how her music was turning out in the Destiny Rules documentary where they work on Thrown Down.... and in one of the webcam/"hidden"camera sections she's talking to Mick and she's saying how if, when she hears the produced versions of her songs played back to her, she doesn't feel the same excitement about the song that she felt when she was just sitting by herself playing it on the piano to nobody, then she just doesn't even care about it anymore...and it was clear she was talking about Thrown Down specifically and probably several of her other songs as well overall.

I agree with Michele's earlier post, I don't want to see a repeat of anything SYW-like in how a new album might get made or come together. I think if it's not a true collaborative creative process in the studio (that may or may not mean actually writing songs together but certainly working out arrangements together-- think of the footage of Stevie and Lindsey at the piano working on Angel in the tusk documentary for example) then Stevie is not interested.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-16-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I've seen her say she doesn't like the SYW album often.

Quote:
Quote:
“It was five years ago now so I can say I didn’t like it at all; I didn’t like making it, I didn’t like the songs, so that tour was very hard for me.”
She didn't come out and say it until after the tour was over, which might suggest that she was just mad about the tour and that's what changed her mind about the album. After all, she did say they weren't speaking after the tour ended, but she sounded lackluster about the album even before the tour began. I tend to think she never liked it.

I will say that I don't think Stevie hated the whole SYW tour. I think she had a lot of fun on it at first and then they had some kind of fight at the end that soured her -- plus, it was just too long and they were weary. But I don't believe that the whole tour was miserable. I think she had more fun on the tour than in the studio.

As for a tribute song to her mom, maybe she'll surprise me. After all, if
EO17 was for her uncle (in part) maybe she might write something hip for her mother and not give us her version of Circle Dance instead, which is what I imagine and dread in my head. But I am rather pleased with Soldier's Angel, so maybe I should have a little trust. Heck, if they'd just polish Twisted up and do that live (along with, yes, a couple of BN songs), I'd probably quickly get over not having fresh material.

Michele
Thanks for that quote.

I agree about the touring. If you have wanderlust, there's always the excitement of moving on to another place that would definitely balance out negative stuff.

Man, it would be cool to hear them do Twisted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
You get a very clear sense of Stevie's dissatisfaction with how her music was turning out in the Destiny Rules documentary where they work on Thrown Down.... and in one of the webcam/"hidden"camera sections she's talking to Mick and she's saying how if, when she hears the produced versions of her songs played back to her, she doesn't feel the same excitement about the song that she felt when she was just sitting by herself playing it on the piano to nobody, then she just doesn't even care about it anymore...and it was clear she was talking about Thrown Down specifically and probably several of her other songs as well overall.
I know the clip you're referring to, but in the documentary it was never clear that she ended up disliking the album. In fact, I assumed from watching it that they had hashed everything out and were very pleased with the end result, besides Lindsey wishing it had been a full double album. But, Stevie being the businesswoman that she is, knew she had to get on board to promote it by that point, so I guess she sucked it up and did just that.

I love the album, so I don't get all the hullabaloo about her songs being "ruined".
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Lindsey wrote the music, Stevie the lyrics...I wouldn't really say "she GAVE that to him" (at least not in the sense that she GAVE Fleetwood Mac the lyrics to "The Chain")
IIRC Lindsey wrote mainly the instrumental bridge for Frozen Love, but worked so hard and for so long on it that Stevie felt he deserved a co-credit. I'll edit this post if I can find any backup for my feeble memory...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
IIRC Lindsey wrote mainly the instrumental bridge for Frozen Love, but worked so hard and for so long on it that Stevie felt he deserved a co-credit. I'll edit this post if I can find any backup for my feeble memory...
you mean the thing that got them invited to join FM?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you mean the thing that got them invited to join FM?
Yes, that track.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
I've got that interview on cassette somewhere.... she says she wrote the lyrics and melody "but Lindsey wrote the middle part...the whole beautiful middle part" so she gave him half credit for the song.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
Since Stevie is of the opinion that records don't sell anymore and that fans don't really want to hear new songs on tour, I would think a new record is a pipe dream.

She also gets very impatient with Lindsey's pace in the studio. I think she wants to hit the road and get the money. A new record isn't going to sell more tickets when the majority of people in the seats want to hear Rumours.
If this were 2007-2008, I would absolutely agree with you. However, after seeing Stevie last week I really do think her view has changed. Her comments have been extremely strong in the sense that shes bored with the hits. I quote, "I can't keep doing these greatest hits shows or I am going to go crazy." This new album has seriously invigorated her in ways I never thought it would.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Stevie loved Lindsey's last album. She ranted and raved in interviews about Seeds We Sow which hinted towards a future collaboration. I think even Stevie has seen a development in Lindsey as of late.

Maybe Stevie will call Dave Stewart when she hears about the new material? If thats the case, I bet he would be all over it.

For me, its a win-win, if Stevie isn't interested we have enough songs for a new Lindsey album with John and Mick backing!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that Stevie loved Lindsey's last album. She ranted and raved in interviews about Seeds We Sow which hinted towards a future collaboration. I think even Stevie has seen a development in Lindsey as of late.
Not only that, she recently collaborated with Lindsey for the first time ever on one of her solo albums, on a song that clearly meant the world to Stevie. And she seems like she couldn't be more pleased with the results. Combine that with her admiration for Lindsey's latest solo work (something she's also never publicly done), and she seems favorable towards working on new material with Lindsey. But we all know how quickly things change with these folks...

Quote:
Maybe Stevie will call Dave Stewart when she hears about the new material? If thats the case, I bet he would be all over it.
While I think Dave did a tremendous job with Stevie's album, the more time passes, the less sure I am about him being the right producer for the Mac. I just can't see Lindsey appreciating his highly polished, radio friendly sound. Lindsey doesn't like to have all the grit polished out of his work... he likes some sharp edges. I tend to think he'd gravitate towards someone a bit edgier.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Therefore I'm 99% convinced there is not enough time for them to write, record, produce, mix & label shop and then distribute & market this new music (EP) before any tour! Plus add in all the logistical nightmares as well as lawyers & managers involved to just make this little EP happen - I'm not holding my breath! Remember Mick's words "I think some of that should see the light of day" -not exactly a confident endorsement.
Sort of pathetic when you consider they started and finished the 1975 Fleetwood Mac album in 10 days.
I don't know why these people can't just show up, get it done and move forward.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

For me, its a win-win, if Stevie isn't interested we have enough songs for a new Lindsey album with John and Mick backing!
I don't know if John was on those tracks though. Still, if things don't work out with the Mac, we definitely have a Lindsey album there.

Michele
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

loved reading these 2 posts:

Quote:

exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Not only that, she recently collaborated with Lindsey for the first time ever on one of her solo albums, on a song that clearly meant the world to Stevie. And she seems like she couldn't be more pleased with the results. Combine that with her admiration for Lindsey's latest solo work (something she's also never publicly done), and she seems favorable towards working on new material with Lindsey. But we all know how quickly things change with these folks...

While I think Dave did a tremendous job with Stevie's album, the more time passes, the less sure I am about him being the right producer for the Mac. I just can't see Lindsey appreciating his highly polished, radio friendly sound. Lindsey doesn't like to have all the grit polished out of his work... he likes some sharp edges. I tend to think he'd gravitate towards someone a bit edgier.
i may be wrong, but i think it has been said about Dave that he is somewhat of a chameleon when it comes to producing and that he likes to go with artists' instincts and wishes. he produced SA too, correct? so he might still be a possibility in my mind.

i agree that Lindsey has been going mostly in rougher and edgier direction, with less production - and getting stuff done fast. hope he continues in the same vein (seems to be, at least as far as the speed goes!).
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Well, I think "Soldier's Angel" is full of jagged edges and imperfections. And songs like "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "Cheaper than Free" are almost shockingly sparse. I personally really appreciate Dave Stewart's instincts and his willingness to work within the context of the song itself vs. a master plan. If anything, I think Dave would be the one to rein in Lindsey's tendency to overthink things in the studio and would be the catalyst for moving things along more quickly.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he produced SA too, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well, I think "Soldier's Angel" is full of jagged edges and imperfections.
ha, we think the same way, for once!

LB + SN + DS combination might work. and if it does there's a chance to get something relatively fast, as long as they don't decide to shop it around but just put it out once they are done.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I can't locate the quote now, but in all her IYD press, might have even been a radio interview, Stevie said Lindsey really produced SA.

I wonder if that "calling card" Mick mentioned is part of the hold up too. Last we heard, they dont have a record deal. There could be some business issues delaying the process. Stevie may not be on board yet for other reasons that are totally financial and less emotional - or concern about quibbling over production. I'm not sure the $ is there for this bunch unless they are able go major? Thinking back to the DR doc, she asked LB if he was thinking Interscope and in the end he said they went with WB because they gave a bigger advance.

Still wondering if Vivendi/UMG are going to figure in this deal...
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Lindsey is not really given production credit on anywhere IYD. Plus I do recall Dave Stewart's 2010 tweets stating that he was recording Lindsey and Stevie singing together at her house. I think Stevie implied that ultimately it was Lindsey's guitar playing that really saved the song.

I also think the "calling card" terminology is a bit questionable. I think it implies that they just have some thumbnails/ideas for what a new FM album would sound like, as opposed to some mature, fleshed out tracks with vocals. As such, I am not getting my hopes up that anything will come of them. If FM delayed the tour until, say, June 2013, then I think the potential for new music would be a possibility. But for the time being they are attached to this antiquated notion that their tours have to always start in March. As it stands now, at best, I think a new Lindsey solo album following the FM tour may be likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
^I can't locate the quote now, but in all her IYD press, might have even been a radio interview, Stevie said Lindsey really produced SA.

I wonder if that "calling card" Mick mentioned is part of the hold up too. Last we heard, they dont have a record deal. There could be some business issues delaying the process. Stevie may not be on board yet for other reasons that are totally financial and less emotional - or concern about quibbling over production. I'm not sure the $ is there for this bunch unless they are able go major? Thinking back to the DR doc, she asked LB if he was thinking Interscope and in the end he said they went with WB because they gave a bigger advance.

Still wondering if Vivendi/UMG are going to figure in this deal...