Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The Dance is just extraordinary. It's amazing how many people have said it turned them into big fans -- I'm in that category too.

My Mum got SYW and I loved it to bits, and a few weeks afterwards I saw the Dance DVD in a record shop, persuaded Mum to buy it "for both of us" and ... well ... the rest is history.

The songs obviously are great but the chemistry on the DVD is what astounds me most. Silver Springs was phenomenal and it inspired me so much to completely change my creative writing style and I never once have looked back.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots
And WORD and your last post. I guess FM tends to be dangerously near the nostalgia act stage what with the same songs. Hell...I'd kill to hear Stevie sing "Angel" or "Storms"...or "Socerer"...perhaps some old B/N songs - not so much of "I'm So Afraid", but bring out "Frozen Love" or "Long Distance Winner", their perf. of "Don't Let Me Down Again" from the Live album was fun. Bring out that old chestnut. "Crystal" might be nice - but I think they already do that one. Bring out some old Mac..like..."Oh Well"... Bring out "Not That Funny" or "The Ledge" or do "Waiting for the Countdown"...do a cool cover like "Needles and Pins"..."..."I Need to Know".. I see nothing wrong with taking some of their solo hits and doing them. Stevie did "Stand Back" at Live in Boston. It would be so much fun, if someone, they could invite Walter Eagan to sit in on some shows and do "Shy"...LOVE THAT TUNE! They need to shake it up a bit.
They actually did play "Don't Let Me Down Again" on the SYW tour. I think it lasted one show. Maybe the crowd reaction was quite quite they'd hoped on that one night, so they just dropped it. They've never performed "Crystal" live, as far as I know.

And I also agree that I wouldn't mind if Lindsey and Stevie each did a solo song or two with Fleetwood Mac, as long as it's not the same old crap they perform every single night anyway. Both "Go Insane" and "Stand Back" can take a rest.

See this thread for my theory that they could perform two completely different setlists on back-to-back nights that would include plenty of chestnuts for us die-hards, while still including enough well-known hits to appease the beer-line fans that they seem so desperately to want to please: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=23656&page=9
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

The Dance started it all for me! I was learning to play guitar back in '96, and hearing the Dance for the first time I think was October 97. My brother was really into them 1st and had bought the CD. I think the first couple of tracks that just threw me back where The Chain, So Afraid, Bleed to Love Her, and Silver Springs. And of course, Landslide. The fingerpicking on that is beautiful.

I remember going out before Thanksgiving that year, and my mom buying me the green "Greatest Hits" C. I was surprised to find that I knew most of the songs. I didn't know they sang "Gypsy" and "Hold Me." My dad likes the pre Lindsey/Stevie better, and tried to get me into that to less avail. I got the Dance on VHS for Christmas that year I think too.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I realize that math often isn't the strong suit of us poetic types, but this one isn't that hard is it?

2006 - 1997 = 9

9 + 14 = ?
insane far beyond your years
I was being sarcastic. But thanks for the lesson, I need to brush up anyway.

Quote:
I'll join chiliD in caring. I love most of the performances on The Dance, but I agree that the implications of Fleetwood Mac being a nostalgia act are still troubling. Being a nostalgia act involves a certain amount of cynicism that I don't really care for, and it's more or less an admittance of, "Well, this is all we've got now. We can't be creative anymore, or rather, we don't care to be, because we can make tons of money simply touring behidn these old warhorses."

On the plus side, they didn't completely turn the corner into nostalgia land. It took them six years, but they did release an album of all-new material that turned out pretty great. Unfortunately, some of the nostalgia-act trappings still remained at the concerts - playing seven Rumours tracks every night (and in most of the same old arrangements), compared to six from Say You Will. Which album were they touring behind again?
fair enough. both you and chiliD fail to see my point though. they are not a nostalgia act. that's a label that people who must force everyone into some category places. I ask again, who cares if some people view them as a nostalgia act - I don't agree that they admitted they weren't/aren't creative anymore. It was a reunion, you expect them to pop out with new songs with new arrangements and have everyone asking wtf was that? I don't care if people are cynical or whatever...as long as I enjoy the music (new/old/revamped), that's all that matters. that's my point.

oh, and by the way, last time I checked dictionary.com, behind was not spelled behidn, but you probably already know that.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
fair enough. both you and chiliD fail to see my point though. they are not a nostalgia act. that's a label that people who must force everyone into some category places. I ask again, who cares if some people view them as a nostalgia act
I don't think chiliD was saying he cared whether or not other people view Fleetwood Mac as a nostalgia act - he himself feels that they have allowed themselves to become a nostalgia act. I partly agree. They're clearly far too beholden to the idea that they have to play a boatload of the same hits every night at the expense of other more interesting material, but they are still releasing new music and playing at least some of it, so I don't think they've completely given themselves over to stagnation yet.

Quote:
It was a reunion, you expect them to pop out with new songs with new arrangements and have everyone asking wtf was that?
Well, they did exactly that, to some extent. They played four new songs on that tour, and featured relatively new arrangements on "Say You Love Me" and "Big Love." At any rate, my complaint about not playing enough new material and playing the old stuff in the same tired way was directed more at the Say You Will tour. Sorry if that was unclear.

Quote:
I don't care if people are cynical or whatever...
When I said that being a nostalgia act involves a certain level of cynicism, I meant on the part of the band, not the public. And quite frankly, Fleetwood Mac are incredibly cynical and patronizing in the way they approach touring.

Quote:
as long as I enjoy the music (new/old/revamped), that's all that matters. that's my point.
And my point and chiliD's point is that we don't enjoy the music as much precisely because the band is so stagnant in concert.

Quote:
oh, and by the way, last time I checked dictionary.com, behind was not spelled behidn, but you probably already know that.
If I start paying you, will go through and catch all of my typos for me?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think. . .is so stagnant in concert.
EDIT: no comment
Quote:
If I start paying you, will go through and catch all of my typos for me?
EDIT: no comment

Last edited by JazmenFlowers; 02-12-2006 at 08:53 PM..
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...both you and chiliD fail to see my point though.
they are not a nostalgia act.
Au contraire. That's EXACTLY what they became by doing The Dance, and, as Jyqm mentioned, too, they CONTINUED being on the Say You Will tour by filling their set with white album & Rumours material and forgoing most of their NEW material that they had hyped as "the best stuff we've ever done". If their new **** was SOOOOOO good, then, if they were telling the truth, they would've promoted the **** out of their new stuff.

Quote:
It was a reunion, you expect them to pop out with new songs with new arrangements and have everyone asking wtf was that?
Yes. That's EXACTLY what they should've done. They not only need to rattle their OWN cage, they need to rattle their AUDIENCE's cage as well.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Au contraire. That's EXACTLY what they became by doing The Dance, and, as Jyqm mentioned, too, they CONTINUED being on the Say You Will tour by filling their set with white album & Rumours material and forgoing most of their NEW material that they had hyped as "the best stuff we've ever done". If their new **** was SOOOOOO good, then, if they were telling the truth, they would've promoted the **** out of their new stuff.

Yes. That's EXACTLY what they should've done. They not only need to rattle their OWN cage, they need to rattle their AUDIENCE's cage as well.
see my response to Jyqm.

I still don't feel, at least to me, that they are a nostalgia act, but I do agree with the last statement.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Stevie got off of the drugs.
And gained weight...and teased her hair as much as possible...and put on outragous costumes...
Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree...which is kind of why I'm glad Christine said when she did...she did it "one last time" for the band, and then she got to go out with style and class and not become part of a touring nastalgia group.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...they CONTINUED being on the Say You Will tour by filling their set with white album & Rumours material and forgoing most of their NEW material that they had hyped as "the best stuff we've ever done". If their new **** was SOOOOOO good, then, if they were telling the truth, they would've promoted the **** out of their new stuff.
I agree with you, but who said it was the "best stuff..", the band or.. just Mick Fleetwood?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
she did it "one last time" for the band

1 - I'm sure the money didn't hurt

2 - I will kill over if she comes back for a tour and you have to eat those words
Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ok. makes sense.

(on a side note and not to give you a swelled head, but I'm always amazed at your ability to back up what you say and say it in such a level-headed way; even if I don't agree)
Don't worry, my head's probably as big as it's going to get, but thanks! As noted elsewhere in other threads, I'm not exactly one to get all wound up or take things personally on an Internet message board. Plus, you catch more flies with level-headedness than with shouting matches.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
And gained weight...and teased her hair as much as possible...and put on outragous costumes...
by the way, do you think Christine looks like Boy George in your sig pic?

I'm just asking.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
I agree with you, but who said it was the "best stuff..", the band or.. just Mick Fleetwood?
I think all three of them said something to the same effect when they were out promoting the album, because you pretty have to say that kind of stuff. Nobody promotes an album by giving interviews and saying, "Yeah, this new one's pretty okay, but actually, people will probably like the old stuff better."

That aside, they also all made such a big stink back around the time of the Dance saying, "Oh no, this is just a one-time reunion tour, we're not going to be one of those bands who just keeps on touring playing the same old stuff without any new material." Of course, they made good on that promise in word, but certainly not in spirit.