The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anyone else not care for Lindsey's Tusk stuff?

Aside from the title track and the Ledge, I just don't care for Lindsey's stuff on Tusk. Christine's and Stevie's stuff is amazing and beautiful, but Lindsey's stuff is always skipped over on this album. I don't like it one bit, not one bit! However, it seems like most people on this board are in love with everything Lindsey does (Lindsey obviously gets more praise then Stevie on this board), so is there anyone else that shares these feelings about his stuff on tusk? The songs just leave me cold and are weird and silly.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The songs just leave me cold and are weird and silly.
Wow, I've never thought of it like that. I guess they do suck!

Quote:
Lindsey obviously gets more praise then Stevie on this board
Are you keeping track? Because even if there was a way of quanitifying this, I don't think you're right.

Also, just in terms of your whole topic.. 'Lindsey's Tusk stuff' is Tusk. He produced, arranged, played that album. I'm sure that Storms would have been fantastic if the Bella Donna guy had produced it but... um, no thanks.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
Aside from the title track and the Ledge, I just don't care for Lindsey's stuff on Tusk. Christine's and Stevie's stuff is amazing and beautiful, but Lindsey's stuff is always skipped over on this album. I don't like it one bit, not one bit! However, it seems like most people on this board are in love with everything Lindsey does (Lindsey obviously gets more praise then Stevie on this board), so is there anyone else that shares these feelings about his stuff on tusk? The songs just leave me cold and are weird and silly.

Again, you'll grow up.

They may not be your cup of tea- but they are amazing songs.

Most people on this board aren't in love with everything Lindsey does- personally, I poop on Out of the Cradle. (/Triumph the insult comic dog)
Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll admit I had to get used to it. But that's usually the really good music, the things I don't instantly like but need to hear more than once, and then like so much more than anything.
Sorry, I'm a big fan of Lindsey's Tusk-music.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Lindsey's Tusk stuff, it's Chris' material that leaves me cold. It's just dull.

Save Me A Place and The Ledge are two of Lindsey's best songs.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i think Lindsey's Tusk songs are brilliant. This record is the album that made me an obsessed FM fan. I thought it was daring, brave, smart, funny, beautiful, challenging, and most importantly - it has stood the test of time better than every other FM album. The reason is because of Lindsey's songs and his production on the rest of the album.

Tusk is one of the best records made - right up there with Revolver and Pet Sounds. If you don't "get" Lindsey's Tusk work, you don't "get" Fleetwood Mac.

Just my opinion - but I think there are two kinds of fans - those that dig the top 40 pop stuff - and those that "get" Lindsey's art.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like if not love Tusk. It was a turning point for a variety of reasons with mainstream burnout probably being the most significant. I do not like all of LB's songs - they are just too out there for me. Good examples of this are NTF and The Ledge. I think these two are brilliant in concept, but are just too confused in what they want to be. But, I do get what he was going for and think others like Save Me a Place, Tusk, and Walk a Thin Line are gorgeous. I think listening to his stuff on Tusk is like watching the first hints of his new genius and the change from the 70's guitar god stance strongly reflected in his personal demeanor and dress and in the brilliant GYOW and ISA. SYW is a good example of that genius evolved. Songs like Red Rover, Murrow, and Miranda are brilliantly quirky and are more focused and polished than some of the things on Tusk.

Interstingly and risking the wrath of the Buckinghamists on the board, I think Tusk was Stevie's moment. Her songs are brilliant, melodic, and carefully crafted, with many kudos to LB for that, and eclipse all other songs on the record.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool Mmmmhmmm

I wasn't going to respond because this thread is a heated argument waiting to happen. LOL

Lindsey's songs on Tusk are emotional yet quirky, IMO.

The Ledge - It's like "OOMPAH!" LOL!! It's a fun, yet angry song. "Buy another fixture, tell another lie, paint another picture, see who's surprised" is basically saying to Stevie, "You're predictable and you're a liar." EEK!

SMAP - He's calling out to be loved here!! Emotions on the sleeve! He wants to be loved and wanted. "I'll come runnin', if you love me today."

WMYTYTO - Has that driving force. Angry again! LOL What makes you think you're the one? Why do you think I'm gonna be there when you want me to be. PFFTT!! Kiss off!! LOL He's telling her she's predictable again in "Everything you do has been done."

That's All for Everyone - This is his Souldrifter of Tusk. He wants to leave. He's had enough. "I can't stay I can't deceive" means he doesn't wanna make another Rumours. That would be deceitful to his nature as he wants to break out of that. It's got a tropical feel to it meaning "I need a getaway!!!!"

Not That Funny - Anger again!! He goes back and forth between hurting and being angry. This is the Come of Tusk. "It's not that funny is it? Don't blame me!" is saying, "You can't find anyone like me!" "You're hear cuz I say so." we all know is the story that he told Mick in that if you want me in the group, Stevie comes too. Turnaround. OUCH!! LOL This song sounds like a carnival to me.

That's Enough For Me - Hurting. "It's the same old pain that it used to be." He doesn't wanna hurt anymore. That's enough!! "Every night that sleep don't come..." Perhaps, they argued and that's why he can't sleep. This is showing how difficult it was for them to be in the same group after the breakup. I love you....no, I HATE you....wait, I love you.....NOPE, I HATE YOU!!!! LOL

IKINW - EGO! LOL Here is the "Don't blame me" line again like in NTF. I'm not the one who screwed this relationship, YOU ARE!! He thinks it's all her fault for their breakup. She wanted out, so don't come a'runnin' to me for comfort when you are hurt. "The dreams of a lifetime" is about Buckingham Nicks and the dream of them being a duo, forever making music together.

Walk a Thin Line - No one listens to Lindsey. Maybe nobody cared about how much he hurt after the breakup? Perhaps they were all "Poor Stevie" or something? "I said 'Stay by my side' but no one said nothin' I walk a thin line."

Tusk - Most angry line..."Why don't you ask him who's the latest on his throne?" Ooh. I am king of this castle, honey! LOL He wants to know about Mick and Stevie. Why they are sneaking around.

Rumours was basically yearning in the breakup, this is "SCREW YOU!"

Lemme add that I agree with strand, Tusk is Stevie's shining moment. Beautiful Child alone is MINDBLOWING!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 04-20-2004 at 10:53 AM..
Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
The songs just leave me cold and are weird and silly.
Let us know what else leaves you cold because it's weird and silly. Maybe we can pass a law against weird and silly. That way you'll stay warm. Nyet?
Old 04-20-2004, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I love Lindsey's Tusk stuff, it's Chris' material that leaves me cold. It's just dull.

Save Me A Place and The Ledge are two of Lindsey's best songs.
Orpheus bless you, child. No truer words have ever come out of your keyboard.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You know Diamondsnake may be the most provactive of anyone on this board.....Each day he posts a new thread. The title is often a question to all ledgies. The post itself can at times be filled with statements written in the manner and innocence of a 15 year old, but man they sure do get this board jumping. I am not even going to get into the issues of taste and perception vs fact that he often blurs....So yeah, as Hayley says someday he may become more mature, but until then he will surely continue to drive the discourse on this board.

Last edited by John Run; 04-20-2004 at 12:44 PM..
Old 04-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I used to feel that way about Lindsey's Tusk songs, but I finally decided to give it more of a chance ---especially since the reissues were released.. Some of the songs are not songs I would listen to on an every day basis, but for me they really do represent like someone said a shift in music, and really like a leaving of the 1970s...

I don't know how to explain it, but I do think if Lindsey's songs on TUSK had been like his songs on Rumours (Which i love), that Fleetwood Mac would not have had the career they had...Tusk keep Fleetwood Mac fresh and new, and let the world know, whether they liked it or not, that Fleetwood Mac was not just a hit making machine..which gave them a lot of validity

Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 11:54 AM

I like LB's songs on this album. Especially the ledge! However, these are far from sophisticated. There's usually 2 chords over and over again and a third chord thrown in later. If he wasn't a genius with the guitar, I would go crazy listening to some of his stuff.

And that's not to pick on him. All 3 writers don't use many chords. For instance Angel I think is D, C, G - D, C, G repeat and rinse!

The thing about FM is that they can make a 3 chord song song sound beautiful, experimental and they blend well (for having 3 different voices).

To me if you say I like LB more than CM, you're saying I like Blue better than Red. etc. it's a matter of taste
Old 04-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The funny thing is...

.....this thread is a question:

Anyone else not care for Lindsey's Tusk stuff?

Nobody in the thread was asked to answer. If I read a question like that, it's simply not directed at me. So I read those threads, but normally don't get involved.

If you're a pure pop/easy listening lover I understand that you don't like his stuff on Tusk.

So I'll repeat the question:

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO HAS THE GUTS NOT LIKING LINDSEY'S STUFF ON TUSK?

I wonder if there will be sound or silence now......

gerald

Old 04-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie