The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think it's a beautiful song...the "what's a matta baby" does grate on my nerves a bit...but for the most part it is a beautiful song filled with a lot of raw emotion.

Lyrically, yeah...it's not the best Stevie has ever written either, but again, I think she wasn't going for 'drama or effect'...she wasn't going to paint a pretty picture of heartache (like she did with Welcome To The Room...Sara which I LOVE) this was real honest heartbreak and conflict she was dealing with at this time...coked up or not.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Ledgie

Location: where FM, blink-182, norah jones, the shins, white stripes & cursive hang out!
Default Re: When I See You Again Appreciation Post!

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
It is so sad and haunting, I just love it! My favorite part is when you can hear Lindsey's voice very faint at the end of the song. Come on, there has to be a few people who like it...
i like it. it's a snapshot in time when stevie was totally wasted and shortly before lindsey departed. I read somewhere that stevie asked lindsey to sing the last part along with her, then flicked a switch or something when he wasn't around to make it look like he just sang the last part himself, which is how it comes out in the final product. there wasn't much lindsey could do with stevie's voice in her condition, as she only showed up about ten days during the "tango in the night" project and the album had to go out soon.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

With the exception of "Isn't It Midnight," "When I See You Again" and "Welcome To the Room...Sara" have to be my favorite two songs off of Tango In the Night. I don't understand the mass group bashings either one of these songs receive, they're incredible in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love When Will I See you Again but I do have to agree, it's one of those songs only a devoted fan can love and appreciate...I also love the demo quality of the song, it feeds into the fraility of the music and lyrics...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 01-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Ledgie

Location: where FM, blink-182, norah jones, the shins, white stripes & cursive hang out!

i also thought the levity of "you and i, pt. II" was the appropriate denouement after the dark and sad "when i see you again."

lindsey tied this album together spectacularly which resulted in multi-millions of "tango in the night" being sold.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Ok EricBliss. If your post was intended as a bait for a Lindseyhead, you’ve caught one:

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
I think it says a lot about how Stevie and Lindsey's relationship was going at that point considering that he'd let something so half assed go on the official album with his name in the production credits.
I realize why some people have been offering a different perspective on Stevie’s contributions to TITN recently; they’re tired of the seemingly endless bashing of “WISYA” and “WTTR…S” that has been going on for quite a while. It has been suggested that the main blame should not be poured on Stevie anymore, that Lindsey should be its main target. While I understand that he should receive his part of it too, especially since he’s one of those who are responsible of the overall sound, it still feels too blunt to me when someone says something like the following:
Quote:
…but Lindsey obviously had serious ego problems at the time that prevented it from happening.
That line especially suggests that he’s the only one responsible of how the track turned out. I don’t think that’s the case and I will explain it right now.
Quote:
Why he wouldn't have tried to get a better vocal performance or work on some lyrics with Stevie is beyond me.
Very few of Stevie’s demos are altered in the area of lyrics or even vocal performance when they go through the various stages of production. I’m sure that possibility is very rarely considered at all; the band wouldn’t choose a Stevie demo if it lacked something particular in the first place. I think she wouldn’t even let any alteration of that kind happen. Whenever there are changes, they are in the sphere of the overall arrangement.

So you seriously think that Stevie has no say in the final outcome of the track? That Buckingham can ignore her wishes and put a song like “WISYA” on the album no matter what she says? I’d like to see some statements or quotes backing that up. No, I can’t prove the opposite myself but I’d still say that claiming Lindsey having a “complete dominance” over the sound of a particular track is pushing some.

If you have problems with the tone colours and Stevie’s voice, fine. They don’t take me away from the songwriting a bit though. It’s not like LB drowned the track in distortion or anything.

In the end, the main blame on the success/failure of a particular track should be put on the songwriter. Because I don’t believe that Stevie has ever been inactive in deciding of the content of her songs. Not even when recording Fleetwood Mac albums.

But no one’s objective here. It’s who we prefer that we’re always speaking for. It’s always easy to ignore the contrary statements. Likewise it’s always easy to discuss someone’s actions to the point where he/she doesn’t seem like a human being anymore.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up

Last edited by face of glass; 01-05-2004 at 12:41 PM..
Old 01-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like WISYA despite those repititive baby lines.

Interestingly, Stevie said she "tricked" LB into singing solo at the end by telling him they were recording his voice for harmony - she then tool herself out of the mix. She did the same thing for Macy Gray on "Bombay Sapphires" when Macy said "I don't [know how to] sing harmony."

Oh that clever and trixie Stevie

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind

Interestingly, Stevie said she "tricked" LB into singing solo at the end by telling him they were recording his voice for harmony - she then tool herself out of the mix. She did the same thing for Macy Gray on "Bombay Sapphires" when Macy said "I don't [know how to] sing harmony."

With a voice like that, Billie Holiday is the only person Macy *could* sing harmony with, and even then, it's kinda iffy.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
With a voice like that, Billie Holiday is the only person Macy *could* sing harmony with, and even then, it's kinda iffy.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Ledgie

Default ...............

i absolutely love this song it's one of my favs, it just reeks of heartache

not that other peoples pain makes me happy mind you!!

~~~~kezzie~~~~
Old 01-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: When I See You Again Appreciation Post!

Do you know what was the combination that made me laugh the most today? It started with this statement from Johnny:

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I hope this thread sticks to the "appreciation" theme, and doesn't dissolve into yet another "all the reasons 'WISA' sucks" kind of thread.
And then I read EricBliss's post.

BTW, I'm in agreement with his comments, but I'm not posting here anymore because this is an appreciation thread, right? We bashers aren't welcome?

Song of the moment - Say You Will
Old 01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don't get it, if that is true, does that mean right before the record went to print, she erased her vocals?

Also, I don't know any music terms, so when you say "harmony", what do you mean? What would be a Fleetwood Mac example of harmony in a song?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 01-05-2004, 08:26 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
I don't get it, if that is true, does that mean right before the record went to print, she erased her vocals?

Also, I don't know any music terms, so when you say "harmony", what do you mean? What would be a Fleetwood Mac example of harmony in a song?
Harmony is when two people sing together in the same key. Many different types exist, but here she is talking about how she sings the main melody and someone singing a little higher or lower than she is singing. A good example of this is the chorus in "Dreams" - where you have LB and CM singing the main parts and Stevie is singing what sounds like at least two higher (oh her voice in those days could soar!! ) and perhaps one lower part. The result is a stunning sound of three people singing at least six parts.

Harmony can also be people singing parts of a song in the same key but at slightly different times. The best example of this is the chorus of "Little Lies" the "tell me lies" and then "can't disguise."

I know this may not make sense reading about it. I suggest you find someone who plays the piano or guitar and have them show you if you do not understand.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 01-05-2004 at 09:01 PM..
Old 01-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by trackaghost
Maybe it's just me, but Stevie does appear to get the most criticism over all the other members of the Mac but I guess it's also fair to say that she gets the most love from certain quarters too (the Nicks forum seems to be one of the most active). The more people that love you, the more people that hate you too I guess. It's the curse of popularity

Keeping this is mind, I still can't help feeling peeved with this ongoing argument that Stevie owes everything to Lindsey and his magic touch, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc.

Some of my favourite Stevie tunes had nothing to do with Lindsey and his production skills (which I am not doubting at all). That said, this one song (WISYA) gets more criticism than most and Lindsey had plenty to do with it! It seems Stevie can't win. If she records a great song, Lindsey gets the credit. If she records a not so great song, well Lindsey obviously didn't pay any attention to that tune. Oh well!

Ya gotta laugh. I am tempted to start up a thread called Lindsey's worst moments, cos he does have a few (go on admit it!). As for When I See You Again, it's definitely my least favourite of the Stevie tunes on TITN but I don't understand the hatred towards it at all. Is it any worse than Caroline (fine use of Lindsey's rhyming dictionary) for instance?
I actually really like Caroline, but WISYA is still better. And you are right, people should also become aware that Lindsey is not a saint. I know most people like his songs on tusk on this board, but I think they are the pits and not good at all (other then a couple) to these ears at least.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Harmony is when two people sing together in the same key. Many different types exist, but here she is talking about how she sings the main melody and someone singing a little higher or lower than she is singing. A good example of this is the chorus in "Dreams" - where you have LB and CM singing the main parts and Stevie is singing what sounds like at least two higher (oh her voice in those days could soar!! ) and perhaps one lower part. The result is a stunning sound of three people singing at least six parts.

Harmony can also be people singing parts of a song in the same key but at slightly different times. The best example of this is the chorus of "Little Lies" the "tell me lies" and then "can't disguise."

I know this may not make sense reading about it. I suggest you find someone who plays the piano or guitar and have them show you if you do not understand.
Interesting. I don't completely understand, but do you mean that it is like different voices blending together to form one?

We were frail...
Save us...