The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Message from Wendy Welch (re: BW RRHOF induction)

Hey folks,

For those who haven't followed the Bob Welch on Facebook stuff, Wendy, Bob's widow, is posting as Bob on Facebook, primarily to spread news that he is gone and is also part of a group called "Let's Get Bob Welch Inducted Into The Rock&Roll Hall of Fame."

http://www.facebook.com/groups/BobWe.../BobWelch.HOF/

The precusor to Wendy's post was this:
Pixie Gee:
Quote:
A note worth reading and considering from Jimmy:

Jimmy · Friends with John Mcvie and 2 others

I have said this before , RRHF, has not , will not , ever accept , a petition , as reasoning to get inducted into the RRHF ... WHY you are asking yourselves ? Then the whole reason for the RRHF could be corrupted and bands or artists could "buy" their way in to it , which would make it completely useless ... It's not operated as a democratic entity , it's a private organization that operates by it's own rules and guide lines ... The invite was sent to the leader of the band and that person in turn replied to them with a list of who would be attending ... that's how it works , so you can not appeal to RRHF you must appeal to the band ... The "Mob Rules Plan" will never get the "Mac" to set around the table and to work this thing out , trust me on this ...
Bob Welch:
Quote:
att: Welch Warriors, I think we should all listen to Pixie Gee. The petition is stilll important to go viral. But we must now contact all members of Fleetwood Mac in anyway we can. Pull out all punches and get to any and every Fleetwood Mac member every way we can think of. This is the only thing we can do for Bob and his memory, and as you know he deserved it then and he deserves it now. His fans have proven it. This space has had over 1 1/2 million hits since he died. You all must know some way you can help to reach just one of their sites or them peronally if not all of them this will make a difference. Look up their names and post all your comments that you may have on all their sites. Thank you.<3Wendy.
The link to the comment thread from above is here:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/BobWe...6670555050145/

Hopefully everyone has signed the petition and will support Wendy and friends (including myself) to achieve this goal, and if anyone is friends with BN, the Mac's, or Fleetwood himself they will persuade them a bit.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

I see what Jimmy's saying but if all the band does is tell the hall who is attending then why were DK & JS inducted if they weren't attending? Thus, there must be more to it then just this. JMHO though.

John
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Meant to also say...

I'm wondering how to feel about the induction now, I mean, if the petition doesn't work we'll feel we weren't heard and if it works, is he in because they genuinely had a change or heart or are they just caving to pressure and inducting him to apease fans? Hate to be a bummer but just trying to head such feelings off at the pass.

John
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think RRHOF needs to change policies for good and admit every member of a band or just admit a band and not clarify anything about individual members. That's the fair way of doing things. Then if a member of a band had a very influential solo career, they could be admitted individually that way.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I signed the petition to show my support for the matter.

But quite frankly, I never expected the petition to actually do anything in terms of getting him in the RRHOF.

If it worked that way, we could just petition for FM to get all the past grammy's they were nominated for but did not recieve, etc etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Ledgie

I think with the RRHOF, it is the HOF people who choose which members of a band are inducted. It is then up to those individuals whether they turn up. In some cases inductees may be deceased.

So Fleetwood Mac themselves would have had little, if any, influence in who was inducted. Mick being the all round good guy he is, probably suggested Bob to the HOF people.

There was some controversy when Genesis were inducted as Anthony Phillips was not inducted. He only played on their first two albums, neither of which was a hit, but he wrote most of their early songs and a great deal of material that would continue appearing on Genesis LP's long after he left. He was the bedrock of the band in its formative years and without him Genesis wouldn't have ever got off the ground or on the road.

With Bob Welch, he didn't play on any massive hit records or write any huge hit singles for Fleetwood Mac...and sometimes the Welch era is overlooked compared to those before it (Green and Buckingham/Nicks). But Bob was very much the glue that held Fleetwood Mac together during some difficult years, he contributed some great songs and the Mac actually had their most consistent albums at that point.

Without Bob there would have been no Buckingham/Nicks or future Fleetwood Mac...the effort he put in should not go unrecognised just because it didn't sell millions.

But as far as the RRHOF goes, perhaps he doesn't fit their criteria...whatever they are.

Can that be changed retrospectively? Probably not...for it would require the HOF people to admit they were wrong in 1998. And that will not happen.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The biggest slap in the face is:

Donna Jean Godchaux (who basically sang off key background vocals) IS a member of the R&RHoF as a member of the Grateful Dead, but Bob Welch is NOT a member of the R&RHoF as a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Those pompous, self-important piles of **** who run the R&RHoF are F****G IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
The biggest slap in the face is:

Donna Jean Godchaux (who basically sang off key background vocals) IS a member of the R&RHoF as a member of the Grateful Dead, but Bob Welch is NOT a member of the R&RHoF as a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Those pompous, self-important piles of **** who run the R&RHoF are F****G IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen to that!

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I think RRHOF needs to change policies for good and admit every member of a band or just admit a band and not clarify anything about individual members. That's the fair way of doing things. Then if a member of a band had a very influential solo career, they could be admitted individually that way.
I understand what you're saying, but it's not as nice for every band. Fleetwood Mac has never had less than two vocalists, had a history of gradual personnel changes, and was kept together by the namesakes, who were not the singers or writers.

But what about a band like the Guess Who? The band broke up when Burton Cummings, the only lead vocalist the band had, quit. Then bassist Jim Kale registered the name and put out subsequent versions of the Guess Who and at one point even let the band play gigs without him (read: there were no original or subsequent Cummings-era members of the band). Are we really to think that the members of the Kale lead bands are relevant?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 07-09-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought that the reason that Bob wasn't inducted is because Christine refused to share a stage with him?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I thought that the reason that Bob wasn't inducted is because Christine refused to share a stage with him?
I don't think we still know, for certain, if Chris was the guilty party, even if most signs point to her... Didn't someone suggest that it might have been Peter(I highly doubt this, given his general ~albeit perceived from my own skewed vantage point~ disposition)?

Unless I missed something, Wendy has only said that it wasn't Mick or John.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Didn't someone suggest that it might have been Peter(I highly doubt this, given his general ~albeit perceived from my own skewed vantage point~ disposition)?
Not sure if anyone else said this but I did say it jokingly back in the other thread...that everyone was thinking of Chris and yet there was one other person on stage who everyone had forgotten.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
But what about a band like the Guess Who? The band broke up when Burton Cummings, the only lead vocalist the band had
Technically, no. Chad Allan was the original Guess Who lead vocalist. Burton Cummings initially joined as keyboardist & part time co-lead vocalist. Chad Allan later quit and Cummings took over lead vocals full-time.

Last edited by chiliD; 07-10-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't think we still know, for certain, if Chris was the guilty party, even if most signs point to her... Didn't someone suggest that it might have been Peter(I highly doubt this, given his general ~albeit perceived from my own skewed vantage point~ disposition)?

Unless I missed something, Wendy has only said that it wasn't Mick or John.
I'm pretty sure she ruled Christine out as well when arguing with someone that was trying to guess. The guy said Danny Graves as well and Wendy pretty much said he didn't know what he was talking about.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'm pretty sure she ruled Christine out as well when arguing with someone that was trying to guess. The guy said Danny Graves as well and Wendy pretty much said he didn't know what he was talking about.
So who are we left with? Stevie and Lindsey? What are you thinking, John? If I had to guess between those two, I would definitely guess Lindsey.