User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
For me, I again say, FOR ME, I would have to say Target has the best deals, at least on kids clothes.

I also buy alot of my boys clothes at the Gap when they are having their seasonal sales, and I have had good luck with those two. As those of you who have boys know, they are hard on clothes.

It is hard to find things for boys. I like just plain classic clothes, and alot of stores have stuff for boys that is just plain homely, rather than classic. I hate all that writing and logos and crap all over everything.

Target and the Gap work great for us becaue we just want pocket tees, button-downs, jeans, and khakis.

DrummerDeanna, I know what you are talking about, it was awful, I agree. Another nail in the Walmart coffin!
As for my case, of cousre they couldn't replace anything I had bought because it was all sold out. I know alot of people who have had their layaways similarly "lost" at Walmart.
Piece'o'crap store that it is.

-Sharon
I love Target....their clothes are inexpensive but will last for a while and if they fall apart within 90 days, you can return them w/the receipt and get your money back, no questions asked (insert Stevie singing here..lol). I'm also really big on H&M...they have A LOT of clothes for EVERYONE at a really cheap price. I just picked up a really cute linen pant suit outfit the other night for $50. They have casual, trendy, dressy, EVERYTHING at low prices.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never received good customer service at a Wal-Mart, so I wouldn't buy gum there. I can't state that all Wal-Marts offer poor service, but I've had enough bad experiences to make me stay away forever. I know the staff pay is poor, but that's no excuse if you want my business, especially when you tout yourselves in the commercials as the place with the friendly & helpful staff.

- Jake
Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been to Walmart once and after going, I realized why I had never made the trek 25 minutes from my house to the store. It was the dirtiest most unkept place i'd ever been to. Even the floor was dirty...it looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in months. **** was piled all over the floors in boxes and none of the sections of merchandise were uniform (meaning that stuff was stocked in a section with other crap). I don't know about Walmart but at my store, we have to clean and front the shelves all the time, including during the day when customers are in the store. I guess when you're company makes billions of dollars a year and are up there with Bill Gates on the Forbes list, you're not giving a **** unless people stop shopping there. I'd take Target and Kohls over Walmart any day of the week. The smiley guy is the only good thing about the store...lol
Old 07-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith Besides, most of their products are cheaply made, NOT in the USA as they like to tout, and their kids clothes fall apart after a couple of washings..........[/i]
I'm not one who buys something because of that country it's made in (oooh, so unpatriotic ) so that kind of thing doesn't bother me. Not a lot of big companies do make all their products in the US. My kids and I have many items of clothing from Wal-Mart, and have never had a problem with any of it, unless you count the fact that my kids grow too damn fast and the clothes don't grow with them.

Maybe you should learn to sew

Target has a good clothing selection, but it's also more pricey than Wal-Mart, and they don't have a grocery store. What groceries they do have are very expensive. The closest Target is also 25 minutes away from me, so it's not exactly convenient.

Quote:
Look, if you LOVE Walmart, fine keep going there.
Thanks ever so much!! Your experiences there were certainly crappy, but that still doesn't entitle you to insinuate that we who do shop there are stupid just for doing so.

Quote:
I got other things to do.

Me too, that's one reason why I shop there instead of running around to three different stores to get what I need at decent prices.

-Lisa

You might say that I can't take it, I can't take it, Lord I swear I just can't take it no more."

-Boz Scaggs
Old 07-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Target in Houston has a grocery store, but to be honest, I don't shop there. Nothing against the place.

- Jake
Old 07-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I DO know how to sew, have known for years, and I also know you can't save money doing it. When I was a kid, my mom was an expert seamstress and did alterations for people. She sewed our clothes because it was cheaper to do so in those years, and now even she says it doesn't help to sew your own clothes anymore.

My comment about things being made in the US is not because I won't buy anything US made, but because WM says many things are US made when they aren't. It's false advertising, but hey, they don't care, they're Walmart. They can get away with that.

More corporate lies.

Eat it up, ya'll.

-Sharon
Old 07-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith ]I DO know how to sew, have known for years,
Don't get your panties in a bunch girlfriend, it was a friggin' joke. Good grief. And I thought I was the one taking this thread too seriously.

Quote:
More corporate lies.
Funny you should be so outraged about this; I thought Republicans didn't care about that kind of thing.

Quote:
Eat it up, ya'll.
Oy.

-Lisa - now remembering why I left these boards in the first place.

You might say that I can't take it, I can't take it, Lord I swear I just can't take it no more."

-Boz Scaggs
Old 07-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shopping at Wal-Mart is like shopping in a third world country anyway. At least, the one here is. It's freaking filthy- I have gone maybe twice in the past year, and not on my own freewill.

Target is the way to go, IMO. It just seems cleaner, brighter, and more modern.

Sarah
Old 07-19-2003, 01:34 AM
Senior Ledgie

This constant tossing of the word "corporate" is making me laugh a little

What jobs do you all have that don't support some corporation? Why drown Wal-Mart out when there are probably people stealing from you? Getting paid thousands per hour and without deadlines and quotas and stress?

Why boycott one, when you will inevitably support another? What exactly are you solving?
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 07-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah yes, and ALL Republicans are exactly the same. So are ALL Democrats. ** Insert Sarcasm here**

It's time for this thread to die, for ME anyway, because at least I found out most people also dislike Walmart. Strongly.

**Waves to fellow former Walmart shoppers**

-Sharon
Old 07-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfirefly

Why boycott one, when you will inevitably support another? What exactly are you solving?
I suppose for me it's the lesser of two evils...kinda like voting

I use alternate non-corporate choices when I can so, let's say, these large companies get only half of the money out of me than they would if I DIDN'T use alternative choices. Imagine if everyone did that! When I do have to shop at large corporations, I take the whole "market economy" thing very seriously. I live in suburban Philadelphia, so I have LOADS of choices of where to shop for almost anything. So if I go someplace and I get lousy service, I don't go back, even if it's closer than an alternative. But I also take ambiance, selection of goods, quality of goods, as well as price in mind when making a selection. Occasionally a social issue gets thrown in there too, and if I hear about it, I react. I mailed my Texaco card back to them when they were under investigation for racial discrimination about 5 years ago. I still don't buy gas there. I also boycott Proctor and Gamble products when I go to the supermarket. I started doing it because they test their products on animals (talk about a pointless endeavor) but now I do it just because they're so ubiquitious and I prefer to give my money to less powerful companies.

I prefer Target too! Why drown out Wal-Mart? Because it's my choice. I don't like the pseudo-fascist things I've heard about how they treat their employees and I just don't like the way I feel in the store. Is that a stupid reason? I don't really care what anyone thinks about it, it's my buck. Big corporations will always be around, but I can choose to only support ones who do things the way I like, because I'm the consumer, and that's my power. And I take that power seriously.

And I work for a small company who has large corporations as clients. I like the idea of them paying US.

Take on the situation but not the torment

Last edited by Sugar; 07-19-2003 at 07:42 AM..
Old 07-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And also, Target has Todd Oldham and Swell.

Todd makes the cutest office supplies, and Swell makes good party supplies.

And stationery. Target has good stationery.

Sarah