Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Just Curious

I've always heard that Christine definitely had the smallest substance abuse problem in Fleetwood Mac, whether it be drugs or liquor. I'd just be curious to get others thoughs on this. Thank you
Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think all five of them had substance abuse problems to varying degrees. I don't know if Chris had the least problem, but she definitely did have problems with drugs & alcohol. In an interview that she did last year, she said that she stopped doing drugs 20 years before, which would have been around 1984. I don't think she used cocaine as much as Mick & Stevie, but she certainly did use it, especially during the Dennis Wilson years. If you look at pictures of her during the 1970's & early 1980's, she always seemed to have a drink in her hand. I don't know if she would be considered an alcoholic, but she was a very heavy drinker. She only stopped about 4 years ago.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know the extent of her cocaine and marajuana use. My assumption is she used these substances regularly, but not more than the average west-coast rock musician of that time.

Certainly, however, Christine is well known for her alcohol intake. In fact, in his question-answer session, David Walker noted she could drink John--or any other FM member--under the table. I would think this very possible. Just look at her in the Tusk documentary, where she is being interviewed on her ketch. She's slurring a lot and stirring her fingers in her beer.

Even given her predeliciton for alochol, not much is made of this because she appears to be quite mellow when she's drinking. Unlike "drunk John," who was rowdy and crude, "a drunk Christine" is probably amiable and chilled out.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Yeah, I think counting everything, that LB probably had the least consumption. Except I just remembered that he still smokes pot. Which really doesn't count. Also, Lindsey didn't smoke cigs. Chris drank a lot, like people were saying. So did the rest.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
Certainly, however, Christine is well known for her alcohol intake. In fact, in his question-answer session, David Walker noted she could drink John--or any other FM member--under the table. I would think this very possible. Just look at her in the Tusk documentary, where she is being interviewed on her ketch. She's slurring a lot and stirring her fingers in her beer.

Even given her predeliciton for alochol, not much is made of this because she appears to be quite mellow when she's drinking. Unlike "drunk John," who was rowdy and crude, "a drunk Christine" is probably amiable and chilled out.
Another example would be that 1977 Japan documentary footage. She's very funny, relaxed & even quite mellow at times, just more of an extension of her normal personality. She didn't have that Jekyll & Hyde sort of thing that John did when drunk.

I was shocked when she said that she no longer drank. I never thought she'd ever stop, thankfully she did.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I've always heard that Christine definitely had the smallest substance abuse problem in Fleetwood Mac, whether it be drugs or liquor. I'd just be curious to get others thoughs on this. Thank you
I think she used to be quite a heavy drinker and not a stranger to other (illegal) drugs.

I don't think her use of cocaine was as heavy as say Mick or Stevie but she definately did use it.

In an article about her when ITM was released it was reported she gave up drugs 20 years ago (so around 1984). Wasn't that when she first got together with Mr Quintela? Hopefully he persuaded her to stop but I don't know that.

So she gave up drinking a few years ago as well. Good for her. All she needs to do now is STOP SMOKING (again) That would be that last vice to go (unless of course there are more that we don't know about )

Gail
Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Another example would be that 1977 Japan documentary footage. She's very funny, relaxed & even quite mellow at times, just more of an extension of her normal personality. She didn't have that Jekyll & Hyde sort of thing that John did when drunk.

I was shocked when she said that she no longer drank. I never thought she'd ever stop, thankfully she did.

Even though it she'd never been called 'an alcoholic' and not too much had ever been made of her substance abuse, I guess the fact that she felt she had to 'stop drinking' implied that she knew she was doing too much of it. Although drunken footage of her is very funny to watch, she does seem really mellow and relaxed.

-Lis
Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to say that there was a period post-Tusk through her solo album where she seemed bloated. She looked especially bloated on the Roxy video, and slightly less bloated on the "Mirage" video. I figured this was the period in which she was kicking cocaine, as bloating can be a side effect of getting off the nose candy.

THE Stephen Hopkins