User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah View Post
- Great Day's kind of sexy. I dunno. (No one will agree. I accept this fact. )
Wait a minute, I said the SAME thing when I read those lyrics. And it is a sexy song! I'm uneasy about that since it is co-written with a 10 year-old, even if it was just the chorus, his name is on it.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccafan5000 View Post
She was wet, she was soaking"
Ah yeah it's sexy and I ride the double entendre for all it's worth.

Michele
Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMac View Post
My gut reaction is "My God, Lindsey is on FIRE", He can make his guitar sing.
My favorites so far for the first listen are Great Day, Did you Miss Me, Wait for You, and Bel Air Rain.
Edit: I am so loving "Underground"
The only song I really didn't care for was Time Precious Time, but overall I am so EXCITED about this new CD.
Rock On Lindsey !!!! (I so wish he was coming closer to Washington DC)
The State Theatre show in Falls Church two years ago was amazing and it was the closest he's actually come to DC since OOTC and I really hope he plays there again. As a matter of fact, in relation to the other thread I started, it'd be the perfect venue to film a show. All standing room up front so you can really see the audience moving to the music and their reactions, unlike the deadpan audience in Soundstage and the tame, seated one in Bass Hall.

The album is absolutely mind blowing if you play it on a good pair of speakers with the lights off and the volume up. You don't really get it as much with earphones, but on speakers the stereo mix does almost sound three-dimensional.

Bel Air Rain is the song of the moment for me. When that guitar kicks in and Lindsey's vocals on the chorus are soooo powerful
Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm...listened to GoS for the first time last night. Didn't like it. Listened again a bit today, still didn't like it. Then again, I'm not a big Lindsey fan. However, I have to say that I REALLY didn't like Under the Skin, so its an improvement on that.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfwiner View Post
The State Theatre show in Falls Church two years ago was amazing and it was the closest he's actually come to DC since OOTC and I really hope he plays there again. As a matter of fact, in relation to the other thread I started, it'd be the perfect venue to film a show. All standing room up front so you can really see the audience moving to the music and their reactions, unlike the deadpan audience in Soundstage and the tame, seated one in Bass Hall.

The album is absolutely mind blowing if you play it on a good pair of speakers with the lights off and the volume up. You don't really get it as much with earphones, but on speakers the stereo mix does almost sound three-dimensional.

Bel Air Rain is the song of the moment for me. When that guitar kicks in and Lindsey's vocals on the chorus are soooo powerful
I was there at the State Theater. Great show, so yes, I agree, that venue would be awesome for a recording.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From Wait For You to Gift Of The Screws the album f'n rocks. I quite like Great Day as well.

Time Precious Time, Underground and Treason all sound like they should be on Under The Skin.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Pre-listening-
I was a little bit skeptical about Bel Air Rain, Underground and Great Day just by the names.

First Listening-
All of my questions about those three were answered. I was reminded of why I love his music and especially the GoS Demos. Not crazy about TPT but like it.

Second Listening-
Couldn't put it down. I love the lyrics.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've listened to the whole album thru twice and individual songs a lot and I don't think the last two songs, Underground and Treason, really fit the album. They aren't bad songs but they're both kinda diet-Lindsey and lack the edge that the rest of the songs have...a little too adult contemporary or something I guess.

Some might argue that Time Precious Time fits this category as well, but that particular song I think does does fit GOS well. TPT is a little darker and more urgent than anything on UTS and the chorus has that edge that I think helps it mesh well with most of the rest of GOS.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To quote Lindsey but subbing out the word "Cycles" for "Lindsey"

This album reinforces my faith in Lindsey!!!

I freaking love this album. Under the Skin I was Eh at first, then it grew on me, then it grew off me Now other then Castaway Dreams and Down on Rodeo the rest of the album could just be thrown put for me. But I just got GOS a couple hours and have listened to it three times, individual songs more.

- Great Day is MY new favorite Lindsey song. Love Runs Deeper may be the overwhelming majority favorite and it has its own special thread along with Bel Air Rain, Great Day is whats the **** for me. Will Buckingham needs to do more writing for his dad, so we get more Great Day's and less Flying Down Junipers, treason and time precious times

- Despite what I just said right above I don't think Time Precious Time is horrible, in fact as far as his sped up guitar songs go, I prefer it to Not Too Late. Just not a highlight of this album

- I don't get what you all see in Did You Miss Me. It's my second least favorite song next to Treason. I just think its very blah and generic. Better then half of UTS but still blah.

- Wait For You is one of the few of the original GOS songs I just never downloaded, so its a brand new song for me, and WOW.

- Love Runs Deeper is not as good as Great Day but is great. The guitar work is so classic Lindsey. It reminds me of the guitar solo fromk Turn It On without his annoying Turn it On vocals.

- Lindsey has been messing with that danmed sped up guitar thing since Red Rover on SYW, and he finally perfects it here. this is By Far his best of those kinds of songs (Red Rover, Say goodbye, Try For the Sun, Not Too Late, Time Precious Time, probably others im forgetting) it's no contest. Everything about Bel Air Rain is perfection and yes it deserves that thread of its own, it's my 2nd favorite new song.

- Lindsey needs to be confronted on this Right Place to Fade bull****. Im never gonna get used to it. Ive known this one forever but its still in the upper half of the album.

- The title song is quite possibly tied with great day for best song, its just ive known GOS is great for 5 years, and only today have I been hit the greatness and freshness of Great Day so that puts it ahead.

- Underground is an OK song until the 2nd half of it and it becomes a really good song.

- Treason is the albums weak link but is better then Flying Down Juniper

My only big complaint is if you review my review he's playing all my least favorites in concert (Treason, Did You Miss Me and Time Precious Time) and omitting the 3 I freaking love (Wait For You, Bel Air Rain and Right Place to Fade) I am at least pumped that the opening song is Great day :blueblob: And I think I made the right choice not to go to any UTS shows and to go to a GOS show, since they're basically the same shows with GOS songs instead of UTS songs.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Junior Ledgie

I've listened to the album through probably around about five times now, and I love it the more I listen to it.

After being a bit disappointed with a number of the songs on UTS, I was worried the new songs on this album might not stand up compared to the older songs that have been circulating the internet for years - my fears were completely dispelled when I heard the opening track.

In my haze of admiration and enjoyment of this album, I'm tempted to say that this is my favourite work of his, with or without Fleetwood Mac. The only track I don't enjoy is 'Time Precious Time' - I skip it every time now.

This is an excellent album, which in my view fully affirms that Lindsey is indeed a genius, or a 'visionary' as he would put it.

And if Lindsey's people look at this forum.... please, please bring the tour to the UK. We would love it!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gut reactions- this album is classic solo Lindsey and he's having a 'great day' with his guitar! Great Day is a wonderful start. I haven't totally warmed up to Time Precious Time. His guitar has a fluid sound to it, reinforced by the lyrics "half deep half empty," but I am too impatient with the song itself. I listened through it twice, but I was fighting an impulse to hit "skip."

I already loved Did You Miss Me, and Wait For You was a powerful rocker follow up!!! How can you go wrong by including an arachnid? It's no black widow, but it made me smile. No one knows his name, but I think that passing tarantula will hold his own just fine.

Then, POW, another rocker! Love Runs Deeper could well be my favorite on this whole album! THIS is what I've been waiting for, and Lindsey delivers it! I have had this one on replay ALOT! This one song, to me, is the core of the album!

Bell Air Rain is a good song. It's got that running water thing happening again, but it's not as grating to me like Time Precious Time was, until the end of the song. There's a lot of personal references in it-- that's what makes it interesting, but it's not one of the stronger outtings on the album to me.

The Right Place To Fade is a delightful song and it's sure a keeper! It's energized, it's fun, it's optimistic-- way to go Lindsey!

Gift Of Screws is a lot of fun, and, yes, Lindsey's manical laughing is hysterical! I have no idea what he's talking about "to the left, to the right," but he's totally playing and having a good time and it translates well.

Underground is a pretty song. It's no rocker, but Lindsey likes those quieter pretty ones from time to time, and it works. I don't think he sold his heart for the dreams in his head, but only he can answer that one. What's that all about?

Treason. I was curious to hear the words and listen to what this song would sound like: it's very sad. As Elton John sings it, 'sad songs say so much.' I really like this song. I bet Elton would too.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Junior Ledgie

I've been listening for about 30 minutes and so far I'm loving it!

9/19/08 Anaheim
Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's a really strong album.
Not sure if it will sink in to the degree that Under The Skin did for me; but I like
that it's short and concise - like Rumours.

Some of the layers of sped-up backing vocals are a little on the shrill side for my taste,
but there always seems to be a great guitar solo waiting to make up for that.

A lot of it reminds me of the production on Go Insane, which is not really a sound I'm in love with - but I know a lot of fans are.

I love Great Day and Treason and Bel Air Rain.

As a whole group of songs, I think I have to say that it's a great Lindsey Buckingham record - and one that should please the masses and commercial radio.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Gift Of Screws is a lot of fun, and, yes, Lindsey's manical laughing is hysterical! I have no idea what he's talking about "to the left, to the right," but he's totally playing and having a good time and it translates well.
Aside from "no one knows my name, walking down the street baby" the GOS ending are my favorite extraneous lyrics on the albu. They don't add anything to the song or its meaning, but they sound really cool, especially since he's using a deep and natural voice, "to the left, to the right, up and down, in and out, and around." I love it.

As for Right Place to Fade, I'd like to get a little tedious and psychotic here (ha, situation normal). Having that lyric revealed reminded me of an article I read when Michael Kennedy and Sonny Bono skiied into trees within 6 days of each other. The writer said that Sonny (after having drifted many years as a Hollywood hasbeen, working only occasionally on Fantasy Island, Love Boat or a game show) died at the peak of his career. Just at the right time for all of his accomplishments to be recognized and appreciated, when they wouldn't have been, if he'd hit that tree just a few years earlier.

The writer also pointed out that Michael Kennedy, a civic-minded young man who used his time and money to help the poor and his community, died when the most prominent thing he'd ever done was sleep with his underage babysitter (whose parents were friends of the family) and then claim he had a "sexual addiction." What he did was awful, but it's still sad that it obscured everything else he'd quietly accomplished in life. He died long before the good in his legacy could be weighed against the bad and be placed in context.

When I hear the phrase right place to fade, it makes me think of how, fair or not, people are so often judged for the present, rather than for their lives as a whole. And those people who find the exact, precise "right place to fade" are the rare and lucky ones.

I don't know what I hear on the record, but if Lindsey says that the words are "right place to fade" and not "twist of fate," I'm happy to believe it, because "right place to fade" works so well for me.

Michele
Old 09-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post

As a whole group of songs, I think I have to say that it's a great Lindsey Buckingham record - and one that should please the masses and commercial radio.
It is great Lindsey Buckingham record..seldom has a near 60 year old with 35 years in the recording bussiness sounded this vital.It makes me proud to be a Fleetwood Mac fan...There are songs on here that in another time could have been hits to be certain, Did You Miss Me and Love Runs Deeper to name two .However there is no way commercial radio or the masses are going to embrace them or this album as unfair as that is.