User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
If she has a comeback, I would be surprised! Her country album basically fell on deaf ears (selling only 36K its first week of release), even IYD bested that by nearly 2x's. Then there's Sheryl quote after leaving Interscope to sign w/ her counrty record deal (Warner Music Nashville), that her former label no longer knew what to do with her!?! WTF?? Sheryl seems to be running out of options...and inspiration, looking a bit desperate. Not that she is hurting, or I feel sorry for her -- pretty sure she is finacially solvent. BUT, Sheryl doesn't have the luxury of being a member of a elite band like Fleetwood Mac to bolster her status, as Stevie does. I predict, Sheryl will amble about in the musical background until she no longer cares to. She'll always have "The Globe Sessions" and a few other shining moments.
There are more to records than just sales. Did you listen to her last album? There are great moments on that record.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Are you kidding me!?! Sheryl seems pretty washed-up to me at this point in her career!
That's what I was saying... Stevie was washed up when she was 20 years into her career, and now that Sheryl is 20 years into her career, she is also washed up. I think it's sort of a cyclical thing for artists. They fall out of favor after too long in the spotlight, and are no longer viewed as current. Some, like Stevie, stage successful comebacks as "icons." Others don't. It's hard to say what will happen with Sheryl. She's hugely talented, for sure. But she's also built her career reinterpreting styles from the past. So time may not be as kind to her as it has to Stevie. And like you said, she doesn't have an iconic band to bolster & legitimize her, either. Who knows...
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
That's what I was saying... Stevie was washed up when she was 20 years into her career, and now that Sheryl is 20 years into her career, she is also washed up. I think it's sort of a cyclical thing for artists. They fall out of favor after too long in the spotlight, and are no longer viewed as current.
Cough, cough...Tori Amos...cough, cough...
Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with what's been said about Stevie's and Sheryl's priorities perhaps altering over the years, but I suspect there's more at play. Stevie felt as though she needed Sheryl back in the late 90's when she was putting the TISL album together, but since that time, Stevie has (over)developed in confidence and Sheryl's star has somewhat waned. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stevie no longer feels the need for Sheryl in life, particularly since there's nothing to be gained from their association. Conversely, Sheryl probably no longer views Stevie through rose-coloured glasses and recognises her for the (extremely) flawed person she has always been. I know I wouldn't want a friend with Stevie's flexible moral code and (lack of) values.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I agree with what's been said about Stevie's and Sheryl's priorities perhaps altering over the years, but I suspect there's more at play. Stevie felt as though she needed Sheryl back in the late 90's when she was putting the TISL album together, but since that time, Stevie has (over)developed in confidence and Sheryl's star has somewhat waned. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stevie no longer feels the need for Sheryl in life, particularly since there's nothing to be gained from their association. Conversely, Sheryl probably no longer views Stevie through rose-coloured glasses and recognises her for the (extremely) flawed person she has always been. I know I wouldn't want a friend with Stevie's flexible moral code and (lack of) values.

I agree with just about everything you said. I also agree with the person who said Stevie always tries to stay friends with her exes ("you're not the one" is a very telling duet "break up song") that song did in fact line up with the end of their buddy buddy tied at the hip "relationship".....I also think the fact that Sheryl has children doesn't sit right with Stevie. I believe she did tell Sheryl you will never make another hit song if you have kids, (even though Stevie denied on Oprah that she said that) I am sure she did say it and lo and behold what has come out of Sheryl since? Garbage. There is nothing worse than feeling cursed by Stevie Nicks.

(Let me preface this following statement with I am a huge stevie fan and have been since the early 70's) Stevie's behavior the last two years or so strikes me as really odd....the lack of caring about how she is dressed, the stupid aviator glasses that makes her look like a special needs child, and the more thoughtless than usual statements that are coming out of her mouth....I have always blamed her assistant Karen for not handling her correctly; I also view Karen's presence as a dark spirit that surrounds and consumes Stevie in a very bad way....but now I worry about early stages Alzheimer's, dementia or something similar...whatever is going on with her just doesn't sit right....something is wrong....I see something, I just can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.

Last edited by reebokandlace; 04-16-2014 at 06:11 AM..
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace View Post
(Let me preface this following statement with I am a huge stevie fan and have been since the early 70's) Stevie's behavior the last two years or so strikes me as really odd....the lack of caring about how she is dressed, the stupid aviator glasses that makes her look like a special needs child, and the more thoughtless than usual statements that are coming out of her mouth....I have always blamed her assistant Karen for not handling her correctly; I also view Karen's presence as a dark spirit that surrounds and consumes Stevie in a very bad way....but now I worry about early stages Alzheimer's, dementia or something similar...whatever is going on with her just doesn't sit right....something is wrong....I see something, I just can't put my finger on exactly what it is.
I agree that she has acted differently in the last two years, but I don't attribute it to anything as serious as Alzheimer's or dementia. Some of the things I think:

a) The same old, same old outfits - she's been doing this since Say You Will, at least. Remember she sported that cardigan look practically the entire time? I think it's mostly because she's gotten older and, as she said in some interview about filming IYD, it's just easier to have a "uniform." I also think part of it is insecurity. I think she puts on an overly confident face to the public eye, but a lot of it seems unconvincing to me. Again, I think she's just found a few outfits that she thinks flatter her and would rather stay in her comfort zone with them than venture out.

b) I think the glasses are, again, are largely due to insecurity. She has terrible eyesight and, the few times she's worn actual glasses in public, seems to be embarrassed about them. They're probably prescription and she probably thinks the tinted aviators are more "rocker" than a pair of "grandma" reading glasses.

c) In terms of thoughtless statements, general behavior, etc: I think losing her mom was insanely hard on her. She clearly hasn't been the same since then. Even she said how when she made that Mariah-Nicky gaffe, she wanted to call her mom and realized she couldn't, because she was gone.

Just my two cents...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
That's what I was saying... Stevie was washed up when she was 20 years into her career, and now that Sheryl is 20 years into her career, she is also washed up. I think it's sort of a cyclical thing for artists. They fall out of favor after too long in the spotlight, and are no longer viewed as current. Some, like Stevie, stage successful comebacks as "icons." Others don't. It's hard to say what will happen with Sheryl. She's hugely talented, for sure. But she's also built her career reinterpreting styles from the past. So time may not be as kind to her as it has to Stevie. And like you said, she doesn't have an iconic band to bolster & legitimize her, either. Who knows...
Ok. I misread your first post. For some reason I was thinking you meant Stevie was washed up by the time TISL came around. Which we know she was riding a comeback wave bolstered by new interest in her via artists like The Smashing Pumpkins & Hole covering her songs going into 95' & 96', then of course "The Dance", followed by "Enchanted". And finally her highly anticipated solo return with TISL. The one distinction I will make is that Stevie really only had one big out & out flop - "Street Angel" (and even that record eventually sold gold.) While Sheryl has had a big commercial/artistic drought spanning @8 years now with 3 consecutive records (since 08'.) "Detours" underperformed, even while there was some initial excitement about her reuniting with Bill Botrell ("Tuesday Night Music Club"), then spiraling further with the release of "100 Miles from Memphis" & "Feels Like Home".

Like I said earlier, I really loved Sheryls records up to and including "Detours". But in my opinion she peaked artistically on "The Globe Sessions", her releases after that had some great moments. I have "100 Miles" and liked about 3-4 songs, it was definitely spotty and reaked of lack of direction. Her cover of "Sign Your Name" was a wtf moment for me. Yuck. And I can't even get into "Feels Like Home".

Last edited by Christopher; 04-16-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don't think Stevie is saying anything stranger or more thoughtless than what she has always said. The fact that, IF she did say that to Sheryl she didn't want it repeated shows that she is aware of public impression. I don't see anything wrong with saying that in private to a friend, even if the opinion is misguided. Plus, the whole way she handled the Sheryl/Mother's Day issue was an elaborate attempt to put a cordial face on Sheryl's severing ties with the band. I think she is good with public relations, when she wants to be.

As far as her appearance, well for one thing, Margi just designs some ugly, unflattering stuff: like that outfit with the arm cut outs. It emphasized all the wrong things and I blame Stevie for not seeing that, but I blame Margi more.

BUT I also think that Stevie makes some choices based on physical limitations and I support those. She may be wearing a knee brace that she has to cover sometimes. She may have eye problems. I know I was far-sighted for years and contacts solved all my problems, but now I am far-sighted AND near-sighted. So, I wear my old contact lenses, but sometimes I have to wear the magnifying glasses too.

My mom wears glasses, but still can't drive when it's night time. Maybe the stage lights do something to Stevie's eyes and that's what the aviators are for.

She seems to have something wrong with her fingers. She may have to wear some kind of brace or girdle that gives her hip support that her clothes have to accommodate. And of course, there are her feet.

Linda Ronstadt might not have wanted to go to the RRHOF anyway, but if she didn't go because she was physically unable, that just shows us everything that Stevie is able to do with ease. Most women her age can just go to the grocery store in stretch polyester. She can't and I think she's doing a good job.

Michele
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

.....Most women her age can just go to the grocery store in stretch polyester. ....

Michele

Oh my! Obviously you don't live in California or New York City where a 65 yr old person is still considered healthy, active and vibrant and does not wear "middle America" poly. She is only 65, not 80....lol. In my world you are not old and wearing poly until you are in your 80's, if ever. Although I guess as you get older your perspective of what is old and what is young changes, but the culture and the people you are around make a huge difference in that perspective as well. Some women consider any woman young enough to still carry tampons in their purse "very young". LOL. I stand by my belief that something is not right with Stevie....we can make all the excuses in the world for her but it doesn't change her odd behavior....maybe I am just starting to look at her in a different light because I don't buy into all the excuses for her behavior anymore. Maybe.....

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.

Last edited by reebokandlace; 04-16-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh my! Obviously you don't live in California or New York City where a 65 yr old person is still considered healthy, active and vibrant and does not wear "middle America" poly. She is only 65, not 80....lol. In my world you are not old and wearing poly until you are in your 80's, if ever. Although I guess as you get older your perspective of what is old and what is young changes, but the culture and the people you are around make a huge difference in that perspective as well. Some women consider any woman young enough to still carry tampons in their purse "very young". LOL. I stand by my belief that something is not right with Stevie....we can make all the excuses in the world for her but it doesn't change her odd behavior....maybe I am just starting to look at her in a different light because I don't buy into all the excuses for her behavior anymore. Maybe.....
Well, it's a double whammy for Stevie. She's part of a youth obsessed industry, surrounded by a youth obsessed society (esp. for women) hence her seeming insecurity about venturing out of her comfort zone & potentially looking like a fool. I think Michele brought up some valid points. We do not know what ails Stevie on the edge of 66. While I wish Stevie would venture into clothing more Stevie-licious (age appropriate) I also respect that she has some limitations & insecurty with the ever present camera or photo lens at all the events that she attends. It should go without saying, that those of us not in the public spotlight don't have to worry about such scrutiny. I look at Cher nowadays, and sometimes cringe at what she continues to wear on stage - I thought she looked absolutely ridiculous during her Today Show concert appearance last fall in her Gwen Stefani-ish skirt-leather pant combo and boots. Really, her whole ensemble was ridiculous! And she looked painfully stodgy and too old to carry it off eloquently. When I see something like Cher, I'm happy that Stevie is not pushing THAT envelope.

Last edited by Christopher; 04-16-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with just about everything you said. I also agree with the person who said Stevie always tries to stay friends with her exes ("you're not the one" is a very telling duet "break up song") that song did in fact line up with the end of their buddy buddy tied at the hip "relationship".....I also think the fact that Sheryl has children doesn't sit right with Stevie. I believe she did tell Sheryl you will never make another hit song if you have kids, (even though Stevie denied on Oprah that she said that) I am sure she did say it and lo and behold what has come out of Sheryl since?
^^^This .
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
BUT I also think that Stevie makes some choices based on physical limitations and I support those. She may be wearing a knee brace that she has to cover sometimes. She may have eye problems. I know I was far-sighted for years and contacts solved all my problems, but now I am far-sighted AND near-sighted. So, I wear my old contact lenses, but sometimes I have to wear the magnifying glasses too.

My mom wears glasses, but still can't drive when it's night time. Maybe the stage lights do something to Stevie's eyes and that's what the aviators are for.

She seems to have something wrong with her fingers. She may have to wear some kind of brace or girdle that gives her hip support that her clothes have to accommodate. And of course, there are her feet.

Linda Ronstadt might not have wanted to go to the RRHOF anyway, but if she didn't go because she was physically unable, that just shows us everything that Stevie is able to do with ease. Most women her age can just go to the grocery store in stretch polyester. She can't and I think she's doing a good job.

Michele
You have made some thought-provoking observations that I tend to agree with. We must all remember that our Welsh Witch, Fairy Godmother, High Priestess is nearing 66 years old. Moreover, she has NOT led a quiet, reserved life. I would like to see what kind of energy and health problems that ANY normal 66 year old woman has. I'm sure Stevie has many health factors that remain private. I've always said that her wearing the REBOK rubber tennis shoes on stage was probably due to back or foot problems. Now you've got me thinking about the knee brace. I used to think the dark aviators were a way to hide the signs of aging around her eyes. The beaded gloves hide aging hands. But, I now think it's simply a vision problem and those are prescription sunglasses.

I must tell you, I just turned 43. Although I am healthy and fairly in shape, I don't shake a tambourine quite like I did at the age of 33. Moreover, I certainly don't move like I'm 23. I can only imagine what energy levels I'll have at 66.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh my! Obviously you don't live in California or New York City where a 65 yr old person is still considered healthy, active and vibrant and does not wear "middle America" poly. She is only 65, not 80....lol.
I do live in California and a lot of people who are a lot YOUNGER than 65 wear stretch polyester to the grocery store.

Michele
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Almost every single female rock star's career declines in their 40s. It's a curse.

PS I would argue that Stevie is more popular now than she has ever been worldwide.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I see everything at the local Walmart and the way they dress .People dont give a hoot what they look like when they shop.

I always thought Stevie got along with Sheryl.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016