Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie has submitted Soundstage Sessions for Grammy Consideration

This is great news because it shows that Stevie (and her people) are not (always) asleep at the wheel. She is submitted in the catagories of "Album of the Year" (good luck with that one), and "Best Pop Vocal Album". Mick also submitted his album "Blue Again" for consideration in the "Album of the Year" catagory as well.

http://nickslive.blogspot.com/2009/1...both-mick.html
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Go Stevie go! It's good to know that her people are putting an ounce of effort into keeping her alive and kicking within the world outside of the Ledge. buahaha.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she would be a shoo-in for "Best Female Rock Vocal," but I think that category was eliminated some years ago. Otherwise she doesn't stand a chance, especially considering the fact that there is nothing original about this album.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She's never been recognized for her solo efforts though really and considering she has influenced so many now a day artists she deserves a Frigg'ing Grammy...c'mon the girl is 61!!!" Dreams " was so many years ago.....Go Stevie!...I think she deserves it just for all her hard work throughout all these years of her solo career...The Soundstage Sessions just sums that up perfectly!!!!!! Besides why should bands like Dixie Chicks and S. Crow and all these newer artists be getting credit for ripping her off when she's been the Queen behind their scene for all these years?!! ( Sorry...just had to vent!)Lol!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I think she would be a shoo-in for "Best Female Rock Vocal," but I think that category was eliminated some years ago. Otherwise she doesn't stand a chance, especially considering the fact that there is nothing original about this album.
I do wish that she submitted "Crash" for the Female Rock Vocal catagory.

Although i agree that as far as originality goes, Stevie is seriously lacking with this album, if BATB is the song that sticks in the minds of the voters as far as the vocal performance is concerned, she could see a nomination. In the Pop Album catagory last year both the Eagles and James Taylor were nominated, so i guess that shows that the Grammy voters aren't all about the newer and "hip" artists of the moment.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockALittle250 View Post
I do wish that she submitted "Crash" for the Female Rock Vocal catagory.

Although i agree that as far as originality goes, Stevie is seriously lacking with this album, if BATB is the song that sticks in the minds of the voters as far as the vocal performance is concerned, she could see a nomination. In the Pop Album catagory last year both the Eagles and James Taylor were nominated, so i guess that shows that the Grammy voters aren't all about the newer and "hip" artists of the moment.
Come to think of it, there have been some truly odd-ball winners in recent years. A couple of years ago, I think "album of the year" went to Herbie Hancock for releasing an album of jazzed up covers of Joni Mitchell songs- which is really not too much unlike what Mama did to her own recordings on Soundstage. It wasn't particularly innovative since the featured Joni songs tended to lean towards jazz in the first place. Similarly, going way back, Natalie Cole did the same thing by recording a bunch of her father's old songs, which is even more hackneyed than what Stevie did. So in that context, I suppose there is an outside chance that she could pull another Herbie Hancock. Surely the featured songs submitted for consideration would have been the "Landslide/Crash" single, with its perfectly auto-tuned sweetness.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ok...

Maybe I am dreaming here but if she does actually get the nomination...maybe they will ask her to perform. I personally think that if she got up there and belted out Beauty and the Beast, she would bring the house down. Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
I totally agree with Hejira's opinion that Stevie definitely should be submitted for the 'Best Female Rock Vocal' category, has it really been eliminated? Last time Stevie was nominated in that category, for 'Planets Of The Universe' from TISL, Lucinda Williams won. I still don't know why.
Also, don't The Grammy's still award a best long-form music video Grammy? Definitely submit the Soundstage video for that one, I think she'd win! (Unless, of course, that category is now obsolete, I'm not sure!) Her 'Red Rocks' video got a Grammy nomination back in the 80s, and Soundstage is sooo much better! Maybe it's not too late for them to apply for nominations in these 2 additional categories. I think we're all thinking of 'Crash' for best female rock vocal, but really, 'Fall From Grace' from the cd or any track could also be submitted. I think she improved upon 'Fall From Grace' over her TISL performance, but also loved 'Crash'-- I just think maybe FFG would have a better chance of winning and it's self-penned, which seems like the right choice for any individual performance nomination she may seek.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-08-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Maybe I am dreaming here but if she does actually get the nomination...maybe they will ask her to perform. I personally think that if she got up there and belted out Beauty and the Beast, she would bring the house down. Thoughts?
Her Beauty and the Beast is one thing she nails every time! For most everything else I have one performance that I prefer but BATB is one song where I can't choose a favorite.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I totally agree with Hejira's opinion that Stevie definitely should be submitted for the 'Best Female Rock Vocal' category, has it really been eliminated?
Per the Grammy site, the following are the remaining rock categories:

Solo Rock Vocal Performance
Duo or Group with Vocals
Hard Rock
Metal
Instrumental
Rock Song
Rock Album

Meanwhile the Male Vocalist and Female Vocalist categories for R&B, Country and Pop remain. I suspect that the Grammy Academy was growing sick and tired of giving awards to Bonnie Raitt and Sheryl Crow every year!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Thanks to Hejira for the research- Well, then, I submit that Stevie submit herself in the Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance category, for either 'The Soundstage Sessions' cd in its entirety, or, if it's back to being definitely one song only, then I think the submission should be 'Fall From Grace.'
Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Surely the featured songs submitted for consideration would have been the "Landslide/Crash" single, with its perfectly auto-tuned sweetness.
Which is too bad because Gold Dust Woman is the true standout on this release, IMO.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Registered

Stevie...what an idiot.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Which is too bad because Gold Dust Woman is the true standout on this release, IMO.
Agreed. And "Beauty and the Beast". Sigh.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie's best Grammy bet would be if she just hit the studio and did a new album!!!