Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The "OMG I'm dying" hypochondria/mental health thread

I decided to start my own thread to talk about my issues w/ anxiety (esp. related to hypochondria) and depression. Feel free to share your own!

I've been on Zoloft for the past two years after being diagnosed w/ panic disorder. Aside from a minor but annoying sexual side effect, I haven't had any problems with the medication. Until now. Started a couple of weeks ago when I got a cold type thing. Was on DayQuil, NyQuil, and TheraFlu for about a week. Now I'm over it (except for a post-nasal drip that is taking forever to go away), but I feel exceptionally foggy-headed. You know how when you've just been awakened out of a deep sleep, you don't feel quite "at yourself"? I feel like that all the time. I've also been having night sweats (mostly when I was sick). And the sexual side effect issue seems to be getting worse. I wanted off the stuff just b/c of that, but now I'm starting to have some other issues, and I think it's the Zoloft. I have an appt. w/ the psych day after tomorrow, fortunately.

Then there's the urinary issue that I had one day last week, but has not recurred. Still, the doc wants me to come in for another test and if it still shows blood, he wants me to see a urologist. My bathroom visits have been normal since that one day (knock on wood), but of course I am almost certain that I'm going into kidney or liver failure, or that I have cancer.

I'm trying not to dwell on it, b/c this is how the panic attacks started 2 years ago. I was convinced I had every dread disease I could think of or find on the Internet.

Share your neurosis, if you're so inclined!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I decided to start my own thread to talk about my issues w/ anxiety (esp. related to hypochondria) and depression. Feel free to share your own!

I'm trying not to dwell on it, b/c this is how the panic attacks started 2 years ago. I was convinced I had every dread disease I could think of or find on the Internet.

Share your neurosis, if you're so inclined!
^^This is me. Every time I acquire any type of 'symptom" I go online, find the worst possible thing it could be, and immediately panic. I am convinced that I will have a brain tumor or breast cancer at some point in my life.

I am glad you have an appt. coming up and hope everything goes well.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just wondering...have you tried other meds than Zoloft? I've heard (well...and experienced, after being prescribed it after a very difficult to handle death in the family) that there are some negative side effects.

Maybe you should talk to your Dr about alternate meds...i.e. Lorazepam.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dude, you have a urinary tract infection. All of your symptoms can be explained by it. Don't stop your Zoloft. Seek help.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been back and forth to the doctor about my eyes and over the past few days, I've been having dizzy spells, which I'm informed are much like when you're about to faint and that when I get them I MUST lie down or I'll collapse and scare everyone in the room. Tonight, I was told I have low blood pressure and therefore I'll be more likely to faint than someone with normal blood pressure. Makes sense to me! Except, in order to find out why it's dropped (it used to be normal) I have to go for blood tests for anaemia, diabetes and any thyroid issues.

I'm convinced it's one of the three and have spent this whole evening wondering what life is like with any of the three

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Dude, you have a urinary tract infection. All of your symptoms can be explained by it. Don't stop your Zoloft. Seek help.
I dunno how I would've gotten a UTI. Don't women usually get those? And the Zoloft is ruining my sex life, so I kinda wanted to get off it just b/c of that. Do you think my "cold" was really a UTI? And the constant foggy-headedness? I'm going for another urinalysis this week...I hope it's cleared up, b/c I don't have insurance and can't afford this sh!t.

Part of me thinks it probably is a UTI, but I'm terrified that I have renal or liver cancer, or my kidneys are shutting down. My skin isn't turning yellow, so it can't be liver failure, right?

I haven't tried any other meds for the panic attacks.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Just wondering...have you tried other meds than Zoloft? I've heard (well...and experienced, after being prescribed it after a very difficult to handle death in the family) that there are some negative side effects.
It takes me 5 hours to have an orgasm.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I've been back and forth to the doctor about my eyes and over the past few days, I've been having dizzy spells, which I'm informed are much like when you're about to faint and that when I get them I MUST lie down or I'll collapse and scare everyone in the room. Tonight, I was told I have low blood pressure and therefore I'll be more likely to faint than someone with normal blood pressure. Makes sense to me! Except, in order to find out why it's dropped (it used to be normal) I have to go for blood tests for anaemia, diabetes and any thyroid issues.

I'm convinced it's one of the three and have spent this whole evening wondering what life is like with any of the three
I'm severely anaemic, and if it is the case with you it's definitely not the worst case scenario out of those three. I do spend most of my time lacking in energy, don't have much appetite, get headaches quite often, severe stomach cramps and have very poor circulation. But they're all symptoms that can be managed. I'm on Ferrous Sulphate and occasionally have to chase them with whatever pill my Doctor thinks might help that moment he sees me and prescribes for me. It's just a matter of controlling the diet to make sure you ingest enough Iron, exercising and generally looking after yourself. If it does get too severe then a monthly shot in the bottom is very likely. I've been told I'm probably heading towards those because my Ferrous Sulphate supplements have begun to cease working effectively.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Zoloft is an anti depressant; there are a gazillion to choose from if the side effects of that one are intolerable. Prozac, Lexapro, and Celexa are a few I see a lot with patients suffering from anxiety disorders. Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium, KLONOPIN) are often prescribed in conjunction with the SSRI's, but as we all know, are habit forming. However, they can be life savers for those with true Panic D/O (and Klonopin is thought by some to be the least habit forming). Don't give up on meds and try some good therapy to go with it. Lots of great relaxation techniques out there.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Zoloft is an anti depressant; there are a gazillion to choose from if the side effects of that one are intolerable. Prozac, Lexapro, and Celexa are a few I see a lot with patients suffering from anxiety disorders. Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium, KLONOPIN) are often prescribed in conjunction with the SSRI's, but as we all know, are habit forming. However, they can be life savers for those with true Panic D/O (and Klonopin is thought by some to be the least habit forming). Don't give up on meds and try some good therapy to go with it. Lots of great relaxation techniques out there.
My friend got on Lexapro about two months ago, and says it's the best thing that ever happened to him. Says he never realized that he was his own worst enemy, until Lexapro cleared things up for him. Just sayin'....
Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a Myeloproliferative disease, so I have been know to be a bit of a worrier!

I have a swollen lymph node on my neck, it's been there for almost a year. I had a tumor removed from my shoulder in January because it grew rapidly, but the doctors say in regards to the lymph node that hasn't changed in size, "we'll keep an eye on it."

So, I worry. Plus, long term use of the medication (Droxia Hydrea) increases the risk of secondary leukemias, so of course I worry about that too!

Last edited by SummerlongBoots; 09-17-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
It takes me 5 hours to have an orgasm.
That doesn't cause another medical problem- open sores?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am on celexa and buspar and I still have bad panic attacks every couple months. I swear it feels just like a heart attack.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A combination of prozac and amitriptyline worked well for me (GAD, panic disorder, agoraphobia ). I don't remember having any side effects - well, aside from having hazy memories of those years. At least it stopped a lot of the anxiety.

I also took lorazepam every night for about two or three weeks. I get a new prescription of that every now and then for panic attacks. It works great; I start feeling calm within 20 minutes of taking it and it stops anxiety in its tracks. It isn't habit-forming for me, but it makes me feel intoxicated and I end up forgetting everything that happens.

As for an(a)emia... ugh. I'm taking vitamins due to an iron deficiency (my doctor says it's not full-blown anemia yet, but my red blood cells are small and pale...?) but I still feel tired and lethargic all the time. Has anyone else had an iron deficiency? How did you make it go away?

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
A

As for an(a)emia... ugh. I'm taking vitamins due to an iron deficiency (my doctor says it's not full-blown anemia yet, but my red blood cells are small and pale...?) but I still feel tired and lethargic all the time. Has anyone else had an iron deficiency? How did you make it go away?
A friend of mine has anemia, and he manages it through his diet. He eats frequently, and turns yellow when he's not taking care of himself.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case