Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2xc3N5Fwn

Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Sheryl Crow and Carrie Underwood will come together to salute Linda Ronstadt upon her induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 10 in New York
Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know whether the show can be seen at a later date on TV (other than HBO) or online somewhere?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to hear her do You Can Close Your Eyes or Long Long Time. Different Drum is a great suggestion too

Kevin
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Undoubtedly, Stevie will trot out "It's So Easy" because it's easier than having to rehearse something new. Any of Linda's recordings would be wonderful for Stevie - imagine a heartfelt version of "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" - but I suspect she won't venture out of her comfort zone. Lazy bugger.
She will likely sing this. Ronstadt's stuff isn't easy. Sheryl and Emmylou can handle the soprano songs.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
She will likely sing this. Ronstadt's stuff isn't easy. Sheryl and Emmylou can handle the soprano songs.
I agree with you. Ronstadt is a true vocalist and was never much of a songwriter. As you said, Ronstadt tracks are tough....so many songs that I just can't imagine Stevie ever doing, for example: Different Drum, Long, Long Time, Love Has No Pride, Ooh Baby Baby, Someone To Lay Down Beside Me or Blue Bayou.

Last edited by Richard B; 04-02-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can sort of see that Long Long Time could be a hard one to sing, but why Different Drum? I could absolutely hear Stevie doing that one. The range is pretty limited in that song, isn't it? I would still love to hear her do Long Long Time or Love Has No Pride, even if the result wasn't perfect. What about Silver Thread and Golden Needles ?

Kevin
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to hear any of these songs listed, especially Different Drum. I just have huge doubts. Honestly, I think Stevie can sing anything, I really do. It's just more of a question of will she?

Through the years, she has surprised me with even doing It's So easy, Red River Valley, Not Fade Away and sang the sh¡t out of At Last. What a surprise that was!

Last edited by Richard B; 04-02-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I found out that Linda Rondstadt had Parkinsons Disease, I got depressed. She can't even sing. It feels like all my stars are getting ready to die off. I'm 44 and I remember the 70s and 80s very well. It seems like yesterday. Really sad.

It's funny that Linda's album Simple Dreams was the album that finally knocked Rumours out the number #1 spot.

Last edited by Jondalar; 04-02-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Sadly, Linda will not be there, according to the article above:

Ronstadt, citing health issues related to her Parkinson’s disease, will not attend the event and is among three of this year’s Rock Hall class not scheduled to perform.
OK.I feel so upset about whats happening with her.I wish she can just be in the audience watching everybody.Its so sad.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
When I found out that Linda Rondstadt had Parkinsons Disease, I got depressed. She can't even sing. It feels like all my stars are getting ready to die off. I'm 44 and I remember the 70s and 80s very well. It seems like yesterday. Really sad.

It's funny that Linda's album Simple Dreams was the album that finally knocked Rumours out the number #1 spot.
I cried. Ronstadt is such a great singer. I have seen her a few times and am so glad I did. Simple Dreams is a great record.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed Johnny. I remember seeing an audience recording of "The Rose" from that performance and it sounded great. I would have loved an official release of that.
Stevie frustrates me because she still possesses so much talent, but for whatever reason, doesn't always exploit her strengths. Even with regard to the upcoming Mac album, she's in a position where she could contribute 3 or 4 killer songs/performances, but I fear she'll only serve up something lukewarm and generic - ie way beneath her abilities.
Why do you think this?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Mike. Well I am concerned that Stevie seems disconnected from the new Mac album. Lindsey has been attempting to get her involved in a Mac recording for some years and the most he could coax out of her was what she contributed to last year's Extended Play (ie two days of work and not a splendid result).
Even with Christine back in the fold, Stevie has yet to commit on any level in terms of recording. I don't know whether she's resentful of obligations to the band or if she's cautious of Lindsey producing her songs, but she doesn't seem enthusiastic at all. It's possible she is writing/preparing songs as we speak, but I suspect she's more engaged with the prospects of another solo album, most likely with Dave Stewart at the helm. Of course, I don't blame her if this is the case, but I'm confused about where her loyalties might lie.
Stevie has always maintained that she never wanted to be the one to "break up the band", but now that she has the perfect opportunity to make (at least) one (last) great album with them, she seems hesitant. I can't help but wonder about the sincerity of all those overtures towards Christine over the years (regarding re-joining), especially now that it's come to fruition. Was she simply using Christine's absence as an excuse to avoid participating in another Mac album? After all, it's clear from statements she made up until even last year that she never actually thought Christine would return.
Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I think Stevie might be a little disillusioned with the idea of another Mac recording so I'm concerned about her contribution. I imagine she will have input at some stage, but when and in what capacity is anyone's guess. I just want the whole album to be brilliant and if she's not invested, it just won't realise the ambitions I have for it.
PS Regarding the Linda Ronstadt tribute performance, "Different Drum" and "You Can Close Your Eyes" are superb suggestions, but I very much doubt Stevie will stray from "It's So Easy".
Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hi Mike. Well I am concerned that Stevie seems disconnected from the new Mac album. Lindsey has been attempting to get her involved in a Mac recording for some years and the most he could coax out of her was what she contributed to last year's Extended Play (ie two days of work and not a splendid result).
Even with Christine back in the fold, Stevie has yet to commit on any level in terms of recording. I don't know whether she's resentful of obligations to the band or if she's cautious of Lindsey producing her songs, but she doesn't seem enthusiastic at all. It's possible she is writing/preparing songs as we speak, but I suspect she's more engaged with the prospects of another solo album, most likely with Dave Stewart at the helm. Of course, I don't blame her if this is the case, but I'm confused about where her loyalties might lie.
Stevie has always maintained that she never wanted to be the one to "break up the band", but now that she has the perfect opportunity to make (at least) one (last) great album with them, she seems hesitant. I can't help but wonder about the sincerity of all those overtures towards Christine over the years (regarding re-joining), especially now that it's come to fruition. Was she simply using Christine's absence as an excuse to avoid participating in another Mac album? After all, it's clear from statements she made up until even last year that she never actually thought Christine would return.
Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I think Stevie might be a little disillusioned with the idea of another Mac recording so I'm concerned about her contribution. I imagine she will have input at some stage, but when and in what capacity is anyone's guess. I just want the whole album to be brilliant and if she's not invested, it just won't realise the ambitions I have for it.
PS Regarding the Linda Ronstadt tribute performance, "Different Drum" and "You Can Close Your Eyes" are superb suggestions, but I very much doubt Stevie will stray from "It's So Easy".
I see your point, but I don't think she wants her contributions to be mediocre at this important time in the band's history. Maybe her reservations are that her contributions won't be brilliant because she and Lindsey don't work well in the studio anymore. She did some really great stuff on IYD, and personally I wouldn't see the harm if she put together some really highly polished demos with Dave Stewart and brought them to the Mac recording sessions. Lindsey and the rest can add their flourishes of course, but her vision of the songs will already be realized.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
I cried. Ronstadt is such a great singer. I have seen her a few times and am so glad I did. Simple Dreams is a great record.
I did too. Stevie should sing Love is a Rose or Willing or Someone to Lay Down Beside Me.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ohh, Willing, I forgot that one. Yeeeesssss!!!!

Kevin
Old 04-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie