The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Do I Bring You Down, man, I really like this song too...I never would have guessed it wasn't Stevie. but at least it's Stevie inspired. Personally I have kept a lot of the "imposter" demo's like Imaginary Lover and All Over You (the demo with Prince) because a good tune is a good tune. One suggestion is to make a CD-R with just the "imposter" demos

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 08-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just how many Shawns are involved in this intrigue? The Shawn I was talking about is RockALittleBoi@aol.com. That particular Shawn says he had nothing to do with "Do I Bring You Down?" but that his friend or acquaintance recorded the song -- not intending to fake anyone out but just for fun, I guess.

The confusion (if there really is confusion) over "Imaginary Lover" is sort of funny because those of us who were listening to the radio in 1978 remember that song's being a big hit, & everyone knew, including Fleetwood Mac fans, that Atlanta Rhythm Section recorded it. I don't think the confusion started until the 1980s, when more & more younger or newer Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac fans began hearing tapes of the song at the faster speed.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:52 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quick Question........ I was looking at the SaraRhiannon demo list, and some say : NOT CIRCULATING.....How does anyone know these songs exist, if they are not circulating?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-12-2002, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I think...

the songs listed on sararhiannon.com as being "Not Circulated" are songs that have been listed as registered "trademarked" songs...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Brian...It makes more sense now....

~Alex

Old 08-13-2002, 12:38 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

since I brought up All Over You, I just want to let you know that I don't know if Stevie is doing some of the background vocals or not. that's why I included it on my "imposter" list. One of the backup singers has a Steviesque voice but only Stevie, Prince and their entourages know for sure.

Stevie has stated in her most recent interviews that she really met Prince only once during the recording of "Stand Back"...but who really knows...earlier interviews show a friendship between the two...stories change...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 08-14-2002, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Adam, you were partially correct about "Imaginary Lover".

The story is: an overnight DJ somewhere in the midwest (Indiana, I think, if memory serves) put on the then hit by the Atlanta Rhythm Section, however, he'd just played a 45 on that turntable and had put the ALBUM on to play not changing the turntable's speed, then either went to the restroom or out to smoke a joint or something, anyway, he left the control room, when he came back in 1/2 way through the song, he discovered that it was playing at the faster speed, but it sounded so close to being Stevie, to cover his ass, he let the song finish and back-announced it as being the new Fleetwood Mac single. (since the ARS song was a hit in between Rumours & Tusk)

Hoax started, 25+ years later, with the advent of mp3 file sharing, hoax perpetuated.

oops, sorry, I responded after only reading page 1...I guess this post is kinda redundant.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-14-2002 at 10:25 AM..
Old 08-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Your response wasn't redundant at all, chili... you filled in the blanks left open in the other explanations.

Johnny Stew
Old 08-14-2002, 08:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm very happy that you posted, chili! How I first found out about the whole story surrounding Imaginary Lover was through one of your posts on another board.

If anyone knows, chili knows! You are an encyclopedia of music knowledge!!
Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Where can I download a copy of this? I haven't heard "Do I Bring You Down?" in AGES. Count me as one of the ones who were fooled, the 'speeded up' version sounded very Stevie to me and I thought it was a darn good pop song. The guy even wrote very Stevie-ish lyrics without resorting to obvious "up the stairs/down the hall/darkly" Stevie clichés.

Last edited by petep9000; 05-08-2017 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: for me to know and you to find out
Old 05-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Figura View Post
Do I Bring You Down, man, I really like this song too...I never would have guessed it wasn't Stevie. but at least it's Stevie inspired. Personally I have kept a lot of the "imposter" demo's like Imaginary Lover and All Over You (the demo with Prince) because a good tune is a good tune. One suggestion is to make a CD-R with just the "imposter" demos
I can't believe anyone with ears thinks that's Stevie or Prince singing on "All Over You." It's crazy to me that people think that's not an imposter.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
I can't believe anyone with ears thinks that's Stevie or Prince singing on "All Over You." It's crazy to me that people think that's not an imposter.
It's really not even close. YouTube comments seem to believe otherwise though.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

I honestly can hear Prince's voice on "All Over U". Especially during the part "the sun would/wouldnt rise in the easy and set in the west, and I wouldn't need you, but you know I do" just listen closely to that part, it's his voice. But as far as Stevie singing on this traI'mck I'm still not sure. Mike Bise said a while back that Stevie herself handed this song over to her record label for inclusion on Enchanted back in 1998 with various other songs. he said his source was a close friend who interned at Atlantic at the time.

Last edited by svnwndrs; 05-20-2017 at 09:45 PM..