Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I understand your point and agree with it. However RAL was bad (IMHO) not just because of 80's synth pop. Many of the songs were totally not Stevie. They were words that Stevie would not say. I assume the partying got so bad that besides Iovine quitting there was not great music quality and then panic hit and they ran and got some pop songs for her to sing. The songs just did not have the depth that Stevie usually brings to an album or song. So it was not just the 80's sound that I did not like.
So back to my point, drugs ruined what could have been an excellent album. Plus her voice is not in great shape on the album. It was just a 2 year party while making the album. The music just did not seem as important anymore.
Well but in truth not so many of the songs weren't hers, apart from Talk to me and Some become strangers.

Personally I think the problem is that the sessions were so discontinued and the facts that Jimmy left, that led to wrong artistic choices in my opinion, like the inclusion of songs such those above for marketing reasons. If you look at the rest that we have from the RAL sessions many songs were much better than some that have been actually chosen for the album.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 03-15-2017 at 04:19 AM..
Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Well but in truth not so many of the songs weren't hers, apart from Talk to me and Some become strangers.

Personally I think the problem is that the sessions were so discontinued and the facts that Jimmy left, that led to wrong artistic choices in my opinion, like the inclusion of songs such those above for marketing reasons. If you look at the rest that we have from the RAL many songs were much better than some that whave been actually chosen for the album.
I remember on the radio, they kept announcing that Stevie has changed producers and is scrapping some of the album and re-doing it.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post

Personally I think the problem is that the sessions were so discontinued and the facts that Jimmy left, that led to wrong artistic choices in my opinion, like the inclusion of songs such those above for marketing reasons. If you look at the rest that we have from the RAL many songs were much better than some that whave been actually chosen for the album.
Of course!
I would take Running Through the Garden in all of its 80's glory. That would have been the best song on the album by far. I hardly would change anything about that song except making Stevie more disciplined with the vocals and be in better vocal shape.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:46 AM

Yes, I remember I've seen a clipping from a paper of some sort, dated 1984, that had a preview tracklist of Stevie's next album. I don't remember every track but I do remember both Mirror Mirror and Battle of the dragon where present. I've wondered if that album, had it come to fruition, wouldn't have become a timeless classic like the previous two, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OOOH I LOOOOOVED "Rock A Little" the moment I played it!! I first bought the Vinyl copy. I still love it. Yes, it's dated now, but I still love it. Now, when I first played "Street Angel," I immediately thought something was wrong. SA remains the only solo album by Stevie I didn't enjoy and remains the least played in my collection.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This story does seem recycled. I wish she would comment on how drugs affected her music. IMHO RAL is definitely her worst album hands down. I mean what was she thinking with her funky and dated 80's beats. I know that Klonopin destroyed her writing ability but what the hell happened with RAL? Stevie used to complain she only got 3 songs every few years yet she barely wrote half the album.
The beats weren't dated in the 80's. They were the thing but yeah those definitely didn't stand the test of time. I think there's far more than just Reconsider Me from those sessions. I would love to know what else she recorded.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
OOOH I LOOOOOVED "Rock A Little" the moment I played it!! I first bought the Vinyl copy. I still love it. Yes, it's dated now, but I still love it. Now, when I first played "Street Angel," I immediately thought something was wrong. SA remains the only solo album by Stevie I didn't enjoy and remains the least played in my collection.
Really? She has a lot of great songs on Street Angel. I wish she would play some of them. That record didn't get a fair shake IMO.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
"...I am so rehearsed and ready that I could be dead and stand up there and still sing the right words and do the right thing."

This has seemed to be the case on more than one occasion...
HAHA!! My brother always joked about the crew having to "prop her up" during her Klonopin performances.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 03-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regarding SA, I loved "Blue Denim," "Maybe love..," "Destiny," and "Rose Garden," but something about the production, background vocals etc seemed off. I hated "Docklands," hated! And I dunno, I tried hard to love the album. Played it endlessly. But, yeah, it lacked for me.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The beats weren't dated in the 80's. They were the thing but yeah those definitely didn't stand the test of time. I think there's far more than just Reconsider Me from those sessions. I would love to know what else she recorded.
In fact they are maybe the sessions with the most extensive material left.
Here there is the recount of all the songs and demo we know of from the RAL sessions made by Ivory Keys: http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...3&postcount=12
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I loved ALL of Stevie's solo albums. Even though deep inside I was disappointed in RAL, I still played it to death. I agree that RAL lacks cohesion. The songs with different producers, etc. Bella Donna is like a classic novel. Each chapter has a feel and flow. Each song fits perfectly together. RAL is a disaster. However I do see the promise of what could have been a really good album. The extended rock version of The Nightmare is not bad. If you could add real drums and percussion it would be so much better.
The title track RAL is so odd. However the "extended" version is so much better. The song is complete even though the fake computerized sounds keep chirping. But the song on the album seems cut from the extended version. So the song is robbed of the better parts IMHO.
Imperial Hotel is not bad but it seems recorded in one take as if the Heartbreakers had little time to spend in the studio or something. A little more production could have made the song so much better. I sing for the things is a beautiful song but ruined with computer programmed bass and fake sounding strings. Just imagine a real acoustic version or the more upbeat version on the album. It would have been a home run. I would also cut the merry go round circus music part from I Cant Wait.