Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Rolling Stone: Stevie Nicks Sees Women's Rights Slipping

Opinionated comments section! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...te-it-20130315

Dan Rys
March 15, 2013 10:55 AM ET
"The true rock legends truly changed the game," said NPR's Ann Powers by way of introduction Thursday at SXSW Music. "Stevie Nicks definitely changed the game."

Powers conducted a Q&A with the very busy Fleetwood Mac singer – in addition to performing with Dave Grohl's Sound City Players at SXSW, she has a new tour and is set to release a new solo album. The talk ran down the story of Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joining Fleetwood Mac, her regimen for keeping her voice in shape even at the age of 64 and her myriad performing influences. But it opened and closed with a discussion about feminism – not only in the largely male-dominated world of rock & roll, but in society today.

"We fought very hard for feminism, for women's rights," Nicks said in response to a question from the crowd. "What I'm seeing today is a very opposite thing. I don't know why, but I see women being put back in their place. And I hate it. We're losing all we worked so hard for, and it really bums me out."

Nicks and bandmate Christine McVie were strong female figures in an industry where many male musicians were hero-worshipped by fans across the world, and Nicks said they worked to change the perception of women within the rock & roll circles of the Seventies. "I said to Chris, we can never be treated like second-class citizens," she explained. "When we walk into a room we have to float in like goddesses, because that's how we wanted to be treated. We demanded that from the beginning."

Nicks also recalled her days in San Francisco in the late Sixties and early Seventies, when she and Buckingham opened for headliners from Janis Joplin to Jimi Hendrix. "Flamboyance and attitude from Janis, humbleness and grace from Hendrix, and a little bit of slinky from Grace Slick," she said. "Those were the three people who I emulated when I was on stage."

And while it's been more than 30 years since she took up her place in Fleetwood Mac, her voice – bolstered by a vocal coach she has worked with since 1997 – isn't letting her down yet. "Opera singers sing into their 80s," she said. "I don't plan to be doing [hundreds] of shows when I'm 85, but I do plan to still be out there singing when I'm a seriously older woman."
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecalmsea View Post
Op

Powers conducted a Q&A with the very busy Fleetwood Mac singer – in addition to performing with Dave Grohl's Sound City Players at SXSW, she has a new tour and is set to release a new solo album. ."
this is nice, thx for posting!

Is this a misprint or is this the "tribute" album SN referred to shortly after her mom's death?

Could this be the reason Stevie doesn't want a new FM album out now?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

what a crock of sh*t.

putting down every other woman especially from the current generation, while putting herself on a pedestal of fighting for women's rights?? pleeeeeease.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Last edited by FierySequences; 03-15-2013 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: duplicate post
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
yeah i think the reporter got it confused with IYD movie, as i said in the SXSW thread where i first posted that RS article.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

as a feminist, I am choosing to make a more frivolous comment-- Mama needs a trim.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
what a crock of sh*t.

putting down every other woman especially from the current generation, while putting herself on a pedestal of fighting for women's rights?? pleeeeeease.
Your decidedly strange fascination (that you will never admit) with Stevie aside, why do you feel such venom for a woman who speaks her mind? And how, exactly, is she "putting herself on a pedestal" for simply voicing an opinion (that I happen to agree with). And it doesn't negate the fact that, yes, in a number of ways, Stevie blazed a trail for women in rock music. She was a female singer/songwriter and co-leader of a rock and roll band at a time when women in music were, for the most part, given songs to sing and told to fall in line behind their male songwriters, producers and musicians. Stevie was part of a small elite group of female musicians (Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Grace Slick, Ann/Nancy Wilson, etc.) who actually had independence and clout in a man's world. And it seems that Stevie was singular in her ability to be a strong woman who did not give into the peer pressure to display stereotypically masculine mannerisms, e.g., Joan Jett. IF Stevie wanted to put herself on a pedestal as a pioneer as a woman in rock and roll, she has certainly earned that right.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
what a crock of sh*t.

I guess when you hate someone, you'll interpret their words in the worst possible light. I didn't see her putting herself on a pedestal just because she said she and Chris had to fight for their place; I've heard the same thing from the Wilson sisters and other female rockers from that era. I also definitely didn't hear her put down "every other woman." If anything, the comment about "women being put back" is a slam against the current industry's men.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lol. i was waiting for all these reactions from the guys.

wonder how Christine McVie feels if she ever reads any of these statements from Ms Nicks.

Last edited by elle; 03-15-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie isn't putting herself on a pedestal above other women, she is saying that the industry is taking advantage of women and not giving them the rights that she and others like her fought for in their generation.

In Stevie's generation, all women had to be fighters, why Stevie shouldn't count as one of them is beyond me (it's not like she said "I fought, and I was the only one", she said "WE fought"). She has always included Christine McVie as her ally in this fight.

Last edited by redbird; 03-15-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
Stevie isn't putting herself on a pedestal above other women, she is saying that the industry is taking advantage of women and not giving them the rights that she and others like her fought for in their generation.
tell me, how did she fight for those rights? i would like to understand what everybody is talking about when they say that. what i always see is just Ms Nicks saying about herself how she's a trailblazer for women everywhere, and then some people just repeating her words, same as several guys already did in this thread.

her exact quote about how she did it from this interview is "Nicks said they worked to change the perception of women within the rock & roll circles of the Seventies. "I said to Chris, we can never be treated like second-class citizens," she explained. "When we walk into a room we have to float in like goddesses, because that's how we wanted to be treated. We demanded that from the beginning."

you need to float like a goddess so you can get your rights? what?? sorry, i think i can have my rights without having to float. i like to stomp.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
lol. i was waiting for all these reactions from the guys.

wonder how Christine McVie feels if she ever reads any of these statements from Ms Nicks.
so you PURPOSELY try to antagonize Stevie fans to "wait" for our reactions? what fun!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
so you PURPOSELY try to antagonize Stevie fans to "wait" for our reactions? what fun!!!
actually, although i'm mostly here for fun, this is one issue i feel very strongly about.

people calling themselves trailblazers on a particular issue if they are not belittle others who are.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
actually, although i'm mostly here for fun, this is one issue i feel very strongly about.

people calling themselves trailblazers on a particular issue if they are not belittle others who are.
how is she NOT a "trailblazer"? how many other women were so prominent in rock bands in her era?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
tell me, how did she fight for those rights? i would like to understand what everybody is talking about when they say that. what i always see is just Ms Nicks saying about herself how she's a trailblazer for women everywhere, and then some people just repeating her words, same as several guys already did in this thread.

her exact quote about how she did it from this interview is "Nicks said they worked to change the perception of women within the rock & roll circles of the Seventies. "I said to Chris, we can never be treated like second-class citizens," she explained. "When we walk into a room we have to float in like goddesses, because that's how we wanted to be treated. We demanded that from the beginning."

you need to float like a goddess so you can get your rights? what?? sorry, i think i can have my rights without having to float. i like to stomp.
Then you stomp, you do your thing, like floating like a goddess is her thing. I don't get the distinction you're trying to make here at all. Do you think she'd tell you that you're doing it wrong? Or ... I don't understand what your concrete point is here. Do you think she's saying that women have to wear chiffon and capes in order to be strong fighters?

Rock'n'roll is an industry full of huge egos. You need to make sure your ego is given as wide a berth as anyone else's to make it clear that you won't accept being treated like a doormat. I think it is pretty obvious that that's what "floating in like a goddess" refers to. If everyone else in the room is a smug arrogant asshat, then yeah, be a diva if that's what it takes. Why the hell not. Anyone who thinks that you can fight a demanding industry without being demanding in turn is naive.

What did she do? She was a visible part of a huge rock and roll band. She wrote many of its songs, including some of its best songs, she had a successful solo career motivated by a desire to fulfill her own personal artistic needs and career ambitions even if it upset the apple cart to some extent or other. She sang in a traditionally masculine connoted genre but did not erase her femininity even though feminine things (ie ballet, fairies, blah blah blah) are considered trivial and easily dismissed.

Why on earth do you begrudge her this? Does it lessen Lindsey or Christine or John or Mick? Is it wrong for her to recognize her impact? Stevie, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, Patti Smith, Tina and Janis and Joni and Grace, the number of women who have managed to earn their spot alongside the far more numerous male names that get mentioned in lists of great rock'n'rollers is few, that's just a fact. Stevie is among an elite group of women, if you ask people to name great women of rock'n'roll the list is not going to get much bigger. Check any Rolling Stone special or NME or what have you. Is that all a big hoax Stevie Nicks pulled on the world, to convince them she's the be all end all? She payed big bucks to steal the "Reigning queen of rock'n'roll" moniker from someone far worthier?

Do you really think that's what she's saying here?

What in this article gave rise to your comments? The part where she said "we"? The part were she acknowledged her own heroes like Janis? From that you get that Stevie Nicks considers herself the sole single trailblazer for women? What she said was that she had to fight. Along with other women that had to fight. And she finds it unfortunate that that fight did not result in permanent gains.

Last edited by redbird; 03-15-2013 at 10:06 PM..