The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Thinking About Tomorrow...Oct.15th.?

I asked to see the book of new releases at Camelot today...
Fleetwood Mac was listed for October 15, 2002...guess what
the title was??? ...Thinking About Tomorrow!!!

I told the girl..."NO...it is a Greatest Hits Record!" She saw no
Greatest Hits listed in the book! I asked to see it...she kept her
hand tightly on it as I looked! That is only listing for Oct.!!! Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 09-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How odd.........I'd like it, better than the very best of...lJust my opinion though...

~Alex

Old 09-25-2002, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

It's listed in ICE magazine this month as "Thinking about tomorrow: The very best of (FM)" if that's of any help.

John
Old 09-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

'Thinking About Tomorrow,' eh?
I like it!
"Best Of" sets often give the impression of a band, or artist, whose best work is behind them... but this title gives some optimism for a productive future.
And I think it sets just the right mood for the upcoming release and tour.

Some additional new info... I'm told that Rhino Records IS releasing this set, and that Reprise is only involved in the promotion.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-25-2002, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Cool name...

"Thinking About Tomorrow"...But with the day I have planned on Oct. 15th I'll be "Thinking How BROKE I'll Be Tomorrow"...hehehehe...First the 'Mac then McCartney that nite, Whatta day the 15th will be...lol...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-26-2002, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Some additional new info... I'm told that Rhino Records IS releasing this set, and that Reprise is only involved in the promotion.
Yeah, I guess it would make sense since all of the stuff from this set would be classed as "back catalog" material which is apparently what Rhino has dibbs on. They must have considered this release "OK" to "go ahead with" because it was "not clashing" with the new album which is what their big concern was with doing the remasters etc. but I guess we'll still have to wait until FM is not with Reprise before we can bug Rhino about the remasters plan (so that way they have no excuse as to why they CAN'T do it) and since our latest reports do say that the new album will be on Reprise, the remaster plan will have to go up on the shelf until the date comes when we know for a fact they are not with Reprise or any associated label anymore.

I only say all of this (again) in case some people think "Well gee, if Rhino are releasing this now, why don't they do the remasters?" (etc.) I've made it quite clear to David McLees as to where we stand on this so if you're thinking this, I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully after the new album dies down at the end of next year, we can then get factual info on if FM are "still with the Reprise family" in the future so we can move forward with this at that time if they aren't.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-26-2002 at 01:47 PM..
Old 09-26-2002, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Thanks for the news Skylark

Thinking About Tomorrow

That's inventive, and clever insofar as it alludes to the future of FM.

Plus here's a thought - the definitive set of Rumours' lineup FM hits has a title from one of Chritine's lyrics. In many ways it sums up her integral role and "distinguishes" if you like from 'yesterday' (FM with Chris) and 'tomorrow' (FM with BN). To read even more into it, it's Chris/or her lyrics who carry the torch, handing it over, saying "I give you my blessing... I'm outta this crazy band but don't stop thinking about what you could do tomorrow".

And it'll soooooon be here!!
Old 09-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A career retrospective called "Thinking About Tomorrow"? Does that strike anyone else as odd...?
I mean, I guess it makes sense if you know that they have a new CD coming out (supposedly) in spring, but once that comes out, this title will really be a head-scratcher.
Also, full disclosure: "Don't Stop" has always been one of my least favorite Mac tunes. So I'm a little biased against that title anyway.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by blinker12
I guess it makes sense if you know that they have a new CD coming out (supposedly) in spring, but once that comes out, this title will really be a head-scratcher.
From the sounds of it, their all-assault marketing campaign will leave no doubts as to what tomorrow holds.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
I guess we'll still have to wait until FM is not with Reprise before we can bug Rhino about the remasters plan....
I don't know, John.... I think we should continue to periodically remind Rhino how much Fleetwood Mac's fan-base is clamoring for these releases. To keep it fresh in their minds.

I think we should also continue to be very clear as to what we'd like to see included on these remastered discs (radio mixes, outtakes, etc.).

Perhaps they'll even begin working on the project now, so as to release them as soon as the contractual obligations are no longer an issue.

Either way, I definitely think we should keep inquiring about these releases (while also trying to not make *huge* pests of ourselves)!

Johnny Stew
Old 09-27-2002, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile JOHNNY STEW

I know what you mean, I guess I'm just worried about the "making huge pests of ourselves" angle in that if we bombard them with letters now, they may not take us seriously as "rational" enough to get involved in "extras content discussions" if we are lucky enough to be invited to participate in such a project in the first place. I'm not saying this is what I think, I just think it's safe to assume that THEY might think this. It's kind of like when you apply for a job you really want, you FEEL like pestering the company and saying to them after you've had an interview "well, do I get the job? huh? huh?" but of course, there is the natural fear that if you do that, they may not "think as highly" of you as they might have if you had just let them make their decision and get back to you. By all means though, if you (or anyone else) wishes to write to them now and end up getting back the same letter I got back from them (which I'd assume you'd only get if you were to send your letter to them registered mail and include a SASE) saying "thanks for your enthusiam (etc.) but we can't and won't be able to do anything until FM is on another label but thanks for writing and see you later (etc.)" then that's fine with me, really, I guess I was just trying to save some of you the trouble of doing that now (in case anyone wanted to do that) because that is the answer you'd get from them (if any). They DID say that any releases they did do couldn't clash with their current recordings (and I assume this is why it has "made them able/willing" to do the "Thinking about tomorrow" collection as it has obvioulsly been strategically released to NOT clash and if anything HELP with the new album's promotion etc.) so you could say in your letter that you would hope the remasters could be done once their new album "dies down" at the end of next year but they did say any thing of this nature couldn't clash with their "group and individual artistic releases" so I assume in English this means any remasters they would do can't clash with any solo stuff as well (as I'm sure you can understand about how they don't want to hear about it from the FM members managers or whoever about how they "killed sales of their curent stuff" etc.) so I would guess this would be the "excuse" they would use if you were to write to them in this way now (as I would imagine that it would be around the time the new FM album "dies down" that Christine's album could be coming out or maybe even whatever other solo projects that may be in the pipline that we are not aware of at this time so you could TRY but me and ChiliD have already asked them about this "let's work on it now" plan of action but they have been silent with us ever since so I would assume it's safe to say that we can take that as a "no" on thier part (or they are doing it and chose not to let us get involved). By all means though, don't get me wrong, if you want to write them now, go for it. As far as them "wanting" to do remasters, they have said they do WANT to remaster the albums (so we don't need to convince them of THAT) but your letter(s) may only have an effect if you were to say that "we ALREADY KNOW that you guys at Rhino can't do anything about remastering their albums until FM is with another label BUT IF THAT TIME EVER DOES COME, WE'D LIKE TO SEE (this stuff) ADDED TO THE END OF THE DISCS AS BONUS TRACKS" in the hopes that they may keep notes of the interest levels in THIS area but I don't know if they do or not. I'd like to think optimistically about it and think that they do but as of now, my gut feeling would be that they don't or that they may in so far as that people want to see the albums remastered but not the extras topic on it's own. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am in this area for the sake of those of you that wish to write to them now.

As you say Johnny, we do need to decide on "extras content". Now, there has already been a poll regarding those that only wanted straight remasters with no bonus tracks but this was voted against so as the majority on that was that most of us here DO want bonus tracks at the end of the discs, we can now press on with the extra content area of the discs.

So, I was thinking, I'll set up a poll called "FM remasters extras content category order" here and the choices will be of a more categoracal nature in that we should go under the positive assumption that there is more than we think in the vault (!) however, the bad side of this would be that we would not fit everything from the vault on to the end of the discs (naturally we would hope that they may make some of them 2 CD sets like say "Tusk" for example since there is not much room left to add extras at the end of the one CD version especially after the full "Sara" is reinsatated to the disc but we could hope that they may go on to a second disc for extras but we would have to wait and see much closer to the time on that matter once again, if that time ever does even come for us) so we must use a "content pecking order" in so far as how content is decided upon in regards to the "givens" that would go on to the end of the discs first (e.g. "unreleased" (which would include studio & live recordings not available anywhere else already on a legal release), "B-sides" (which would also included released already but "rare" non-album tracks such as the "Soccer rocks the globe" version of "Blow by blow" etc.) and "remixes" (this is material that has already been released in some form such as the "radio mixes" you were referring to and single edits etc.) and whatever wins, is what we should agree upon as to what we would all write in our individual letters to Rhino as to what ORDER we would chose "bonus material" for the discs. As we (or all of us that are interested in this project that is) would all write seperate letters (as discussed last time this subject came up) to prove "genuine interest" in this area to Rhino (and not by a "chain letter" as that was obviously ineffective with the chain box stuff in 1992), I know there's no way of knowing what some of us may write in our own letters to them and someone may choose to ask for the "option" they wanted that lost in the poll anyways, but hey, I'll stick by mine as I'm confident that most people would prefer stuff they haven't heard (or don't have) already on there as oppossed to remixes but at least it would be up for vote and I'll stand by the winner and I would hope the others would to. We can have the cut off date for the vote on the poll thread here be, say, 10/31/02. Is that enough time for everyone? Anyways as I say Rhino may completely ignore our requests anyways but at least if we were to write to them and state in such a way that "as we can't say for sure what specifically IS in the vault (down to the song titles etc. which they would most likely want "spelled out to them" if they were to allow us to get involved) what we have decided is that we wish to fill up the discs with (this kind of material) first and then if there is still room left on that particular disc we would want (this kind of stuff) added" and so on and so on until the discs are full, at least that way, we would get the "most desired" (going by the vote) stuff from the vault out of there and on to the discs you know what I mean? Also, if we write to them in this "reasonable fashion" that doesn't give them a chance to say anything back to us about "well we need titles" because it had already been stated in the letter(s) that WE don't have the list, and that THEY do. This would hopefully make it clear to them that we can only give them actual song titles if we are given access to the list/tapes/whatever (and as I stated before the last time this topic arose) if they won't give us technical assistance as to how to figure out from the logs/tapes (or whatever sources that they do possess) then we will get an independant body ourselves to help us with it. Hopefully it would not come to that but it would show them that we have thought this through and are letting them know that we will do whatever "running around" is required for this project as long as we get the results that makes us the happiest (under the circumstances that is, naturally we want "everything" out of the vault but we can only get what time allows at the end of the discs I guess and at least if there isn't as much as we had hoped in the vault then at least we can stick what IS in there on the discs and then we'd know that it's been cleaned out and who knows, maybe they would consent to an entire CD of unreleased recordings or something down the line but as of now, we must concentrate on the left over space on the existing albums as they haven't even agreed to THAT yet so let's go a step at a time).

Maybe I've overlooked something but to me, this poll seems to me like the most fair way and as I say, writing to them in a generalistic way about content (especially at such an early stage) I would imagine would be taken more seriously if they received a bunch of letters that say (relatively) the same request in all of them in regards to extra content rather than if they received a thousand different letters saying a thousand different things which wouldn't get us anywhere (like assumptions about what particular songs that are in the vault such as "we want this (Stevie demo) and (this song) from (this live soundboard recording) which must be in the vault somewhere (shrug) and (that song) must be on there somewhere as I saw a show on that tour so they must have played it (etc.)". It will certainly seem more "professional" of us if we tell the truth and say that we don't know what's in the vault but out of what IS in there, (this) is the type of material we would want at the end of the discs first and foremost and THEN (this category of stuff) if there is still room left over on the discs and so on etc. That would be their "prompt" to say "OK, well, have a look at the list and you tell us right down to the songs what you want on there" so naturally, we would say OK and we'd go from there. Since it would be further down the road that the actual "choosing of songs" would happen anyways, there's no real great urgency at this particular moment in time to know what's on the list (apart from natural curiosity as fans which surely we can control being the mature individuals that we are).

As previously discussed, and I don't want to repeat myself as I have already many times on this topic but they will not chase this stuff down for us. WE must lay it on a silver platter for them (as much as we are allowed to anyways) and it's reasonable to assume that at least if they get a chunk of letters saying the "pecking order" we have decided on (as opossed to all different requests) then they might take us seriously enough to let us get involved but if we just say things which in effect puts the "job" on their shoulders, not only would it mean that we would not be taken seriously but with all different requests, they would still be none the wiser as to what to put at the end of the discs and it would be more likely we would get shut out of the process and it would be reasonable of them to think that if this happened as that would certainly come across to them as a "not so caring as to what goes on the end of the discs attitude" on our part and of course we DO care about what goes on there so let's prove it to them and be as unanimus as we can in our letters to them to hopefully heighten the chances of them letting us get involved in the project OK? At least we can then say "we tried" if they don't let us in on it (if they even do it at all because as it is, it's probably a very slim chance that getting these bonus tracks added would even happen at all).

I'll go set up the poll now for those of you who wish to write to Rhino and if you wish to write to them now then that is your decision and I wish you luck but I would hope that as many of you as possible that have an interest in this area could at least wait until the poll has been decided so we will know what the majority of those interested here will (or should) be writing in their letters to Rhino about regarding their/our requests. I've already written to Rhino about this as discussed and I think I've made my point clear to Mr. David McLees (which is who you should address your letters to at Rhino) and I personally think that I'm going to wait until I know for a fact that FM is on another label before I recontact David McLees as that to me seems like the only time that will come that Rhino will be willing to do anything about this based on my previous correspondence with McLees (and I'm sure those of you who write now (or after the vote is over) will learn this for yourselves if you happen to get the response letter I had received on this topic from Rhino) but I am thinking positively that perhaps Johnny Stew is right and they may have some sort of tracking system as to how many people write in to them asking for bonus tracks on FM remasters and that if they get enough letters then they may then go and change their policy on matters of why they have held off on remastering albums that they want to remaster but feel as though they "can't" for legal reasons (or whatever) and I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for those of you who write now (or will write soon) to Rhino on this subject. I know I said I'd "stand by the vote" earlier but what I meant was, if the vote doesn't come out "the way I would hope it too", then I wouldn't "sabotage the majority" by "writing conflicting letters" to Rhino to attempt to "outweigh" the majority vote or anything, that's all I meant. OK, enough of my ramblings, I'm gonna set up that poll now for you guys (just in case it is thought to be the most fair way to handle this, it will be there. If not, then I guess I'll leave it up to someone else to set up a different poll that may be considerd more fair by the masses here) and I hope it all works out the way you all hope it to!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-27-2002 at 11:56 AM..
Old 09-27-2002, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As always, you make some very valid points, John... and I definitely wouldn't want to turn Rhino off of working with the fans on this.

Since, logically, a record company (even Rhino) won't release something unless they're sure it has marketability and that sales are guaranteed, I thought it might be a good idea to periodically remind them that there is a definite interest in a remastered series of Fleetwood Mac's catalog.
But then, as you said, maybe they've already made up their minds to do this (when they're able to), and therefore don't need to be reminded.

By the way... and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade... but I seriously don't think we should be too hopeful that Rhino would remaster the ENTIRE catalog.
They would most assuredly remaster the 1975-1987 albums, as these were the biggest sellers in Fleetwood Mac's career... but I highly doubt that they'd remaster 'Behind The Mask' or 'Time,' and probably not even the Bob Welch-era releases.

Believe me, I really hope I'm wrong... but I'm not going to hold my breath for anything beyond the five Rumours-era studio albums.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-27-2002, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, well going by what they DID say, it does seem they are all over the idea of doing the remasters of the albums themselves if nothing else (though since they didn't say anything about additional stuff, that's why I wrote to them to let them know that most of us here wanted that kind of stuff added on the remasters) but I guess they won't think about it until their "hands are untied" so to speak.

I'm not trying to say "you shouldn't write" to them, I'm just saying "I" personally don't want to be (what I see as) "bugging" them as I want to "stay on their good side" in the hopes that there might be a slight chance of possible involvemrnt with letting them know (and having them hear us) as to what we want to see in "a remastered FM CD" with us being the "customers" and all. So, by all means, if you want to do the "reminders" (etc.) send 'em your thoughts. The addy is 10635 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025-4900.

Maybe it would be more genuine if the letters were more "spread out" because then it wouldn't look like a "gang up" but it's hard to know if that would work and I think it might be too risky to do it that way since we don't know when it will be (for certain) that FM won't be with WB/Reprise. Naturally, it would be perfect if we knew, like nine months in advance or something but I think we'd be lucky to find out (in a concrete way) "ahead of time" at all. We'd most likely have to wait until we had a FM release in our hands on the day of release that was on another label and as we've been discussing around these boards lately, I wouldn't doubt it at all if this new album was to be the last FM album anyways (I certainly HOPE not but...) though hmm...I don't know what we could do in that case. Hopefully we could get a contact at Reprise who might be able to say if this new album is the last album on their contract or not (but they seem unwilling to give out that kind of data, it must be considered confidential but heaven only knows why it is/could be) even then, they could re-sign with Reprise the day after the release of their "last" album with Reprise on their "old" contract or years from now (sigh). Any ideas?

You're probably right about Rhino may very well just remaster the BN lineup FM discs only and may only include B-sides and remixes and one or two unreleased tracks at a push but once again, I just live for "that hope" as I just consider all of this (more or less) as more of an administrative exercise that I feel as though I need to follow through on (just as you may feel as though you want to share your thoughts with Mr. McLees on this subject now (or relatively soon) so I can at least say that "I tried" when I get old more than anything else and if they do let us in on the project (if it even happens), include unreleased stuff and remastering ALL of the FM albums, then it's an added plus. At least I'm preparing myself for the "worst" news. Well, good luck if (any of) you do decide to write to Rhino now on this topic.

John
Old 09-27-2002, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Since, logically, a record company (even Rhino) won't release something unless they're sure it has marketability and that sales are guaranteed, I thought it might be a good idea to periodically remind them that there is a definite interest in a remastered series of Fleetwood Mac's catalog.
Why do you guys want Rhino to remaster the 1975-1987 catalog? Ken Caillat & 5.1 Entertainment have already remastered "Rumours" (don't forget that the 5.1 DVD-A process is essentially a remixing & remastering process) & apparently plan on remastering the white album & "Tusk" & even Stevie's last solo album for DVD-A (they include both two-channel stereo mixes & 5.1-channel surround mixes). With Ken at the helm of these projects, you won't get the work done any better; Caillat is far more intimately familiar with these albums than anyone at Rhino is likely to be.

I'm not sure I see what the point is of asking Rhino Records to master these albums yet again. Is it just to try to get extras on the albums? If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to make the same requests to 5.1 Entertainment since that company is already presumably working on the albums? Ken already knows from this Web site's petition & his Q&A that hundreds of fans want extras. He seems to be the one person in the best position to do this at this point.

There was only one aspect of Ken's perspective that disappointed me. After the "Rumours" DVD-A was on the market, somebody asked Ken why he didn't include some of the songs the band recorded for "Rumours" but later threw aside, & he said that several songs were on tape but didn't sound good enough or finished enough to release. He didn't seem to understand the principle of the rough, unfinished quality of an unreleased track still having enormous appeal to the band's fans.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

There´s just one thing I still don´t understand. Why is it necessary to wait until FM are no longer with Warner Bros. ? What does the back catalogue have to do with their contract?

One example: Paul McCartney had his entire back catalogue remastered in 1993 and he is STILL releasing albums on EMI.

I don´t get the reason.

P.S. Short addition because the answer was already answered in John´s post above: At the time McCartney´s back catalogue was re-released, Off The Ground had just been released and his world tour had just started. I can´t remember any commercial "clashes", that´s why I´m asking. After all, the re-release of the back catalogue won´t certainly hurt the current album´s sales.

Last edited by Street Angel; 09-27-2002 at 04:42 PM..