Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Why do you guys want Rhino to remaster the 1975-1987 catalog? .... (Ken) Caillat is far more intimately familiar with these albums than anyone at Rhino is likely to be.
Very true... however, not every fan has a DVD player or a DVD-Audio player (which is what you really need to *truly* appreciate these discs).
I own the Rumours DVD-A, and I love it... and I'm anxiously looking forward to the release of 'Fleetwood Mac,' 'Tusk,' and 'Trouble In Shangri-La'... but, when I want to listen to a DVD-A, I'm tied down to my DVD player. I can't just pop the disc into my portable CD player, and go about my business.
DVD-As also can't be played in a car stereo, or in a standard CD-ROM drive.
So it just seems that audio CDs would be far more accessable to a wider range of people... and that's why I'm leaning towards Rhino releasing these.
Audio CDs will also be less expensive... but then, for those folks who will end up buying both formats, I guess that really doesn't help, does it? *lol*

Johnny Stew
Old 09-28-2002, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile DAVID

Johnny Stew has just said why I think "CD instead of DVD-A" on these, (accessibility etc.) so I won't repeat that.

As far as "Why Rhino and why not Ken's company", if you refer to Ken's Q & A to when I had asked him about where I should inquire in regards to getting bonus/unreleased/etc. stuff on remastered FM CD's, you will see that HE suggested I "ask Mr. David May at Warner Brothers" (which I had done and he in turn had told me that it would not be them but it would be David McLees at Rhino that would deal with the back catalog stuff etc.) hence the reason this is the best bet to get them out as if Ken's company were to do them, it would involved the licensing issues and as I think it's safe to assume that it would be the same per the video petition since Ken said that his firm requires the 10,000 sigs to be consider it to be "enough demand" for his company to be able to proceed with such a licensing etc. project and we only have roughly 6,000 as of now so we don't have too much of a case on the "there's demand there" issue to convice him yet and that is only counting for a product that would ONLY be sold through The Penguin as we know that is/was to be the case had we received the amount of sigs for it as Ken himself said that his firm does not have the distribution resources for a commercial release on the scale of remastered back catalog CD's (or in this case, it was the DVD video of FM stuff hence the reason it was to only be sold here and not in every video retailers etc. for instance). Besdies, I get the feeling that Ken is more interested in the DVD-A format than CD format and as per the Johnny Stew accessibility reasons... (etc.) Also, if Ken WAS/WOULD HAVE BEEN interested in such a project when I had asked him about it in the Q & A, then surely he would've said at the time "well, contact me at 5.1 Entertainment and we'll discuss it" etc. but he didn't, instead he said that I/we "should go to Mr. May at Warners" (which I did and was told that I should go to Rhino) so this, in itself shows that he thinks our best bet is to try "elsewhere" and not with him (at least first) and as the main reason we want these remastered CD's IS for the bonus stuff and Rhino has direct access to the WB vault (so no licensing problems would get in the way if we dealt with Rhino), Rhino does seem the best bet as of now anyways.

You are correct with saying that "Ken is most familiar with the recordings (etc.)" so if Rhino did let us get involved and said "OK, here's the vault list, tell us what you'd want on there as the extras", my first instinct would be/have been to ask Ken for technical assistance on this project (If Rhino refused to give us anybody for this that is, as I had already told them that the "technical assistance" is "the one area in whiich we would ask for some leeway on (their) part" etc. but naturally, if they said "no, that's your problem" then Ken would seem the most obvious first choice for the technical assistance. If he didn't want to/couldn't do it for being busy etc. then we would simply have to look elsewhere for somebody but it's certainly way too early to even think about such things as there's much to be done before those stages). If it is true that there is simply "no/not much unreleased studio stuff that could go on to the end of the "Rumours" remastered CD" (as you say Ken says this about those particular recordings) then this is when we could maybe use some of the "live soundboard" stuff from that tour as the extra material as it was yourself that had said (the last time this subject came up on these boards) that it is "most likely that there would be some of those in there from each tour (etc.)" and even if there isn't any, this is why we have set up the "pecking order" theory as per the "remasters content category poll" thread so if the option in the vote which has the "unreleased" stuff is the first category choice of material for the "extras" wins and this is the pecking order we go by (and if we assume the worst and say that there is nothing we can use from the "Rumours" era for the extras on the propsed "Rumours" remasterd CD), then this is when we would move on to the next "category" which would be either the "B-sides" (in this case of course being the studio "Silver springs" (which we of course KNOW exists and in useable form)) or the remixes etc. (if any exist from this time that is, I must admit that this is an area I don't collect much on but if any do exist then they would go on as well) based upon which of those options (with B-sides 2nd and remixes 3rd or vice versa) wins on the pecking order poll. If there is no unreleased stuff to use and no remixes and only SS to put at the end of the "Rumours" CD (for instance) which would leave the rest of the CD blank anyways, then so be it, this may very well be the case for many of the, what is considered "less popular" FM albums (if they even do remaster those like Johnny Stew says, they may not even do them, I certainly hope they do though!) anyways but that's when we can walk away KNOWING we DID clean out the vault as best we could etc. which would be a nice feeling for the "completests" around here like myself!

Street Angel - The Mccartney reissues are done by EMI themselves so therefore when firms do their own reissues they obviously have different feelings about the "clashing" situation than Rhino does. In order to "convince" Rhino about such a project, this is why we need to wait until FM is on another label as this is what they say they need to happen before they do it. I really don't know WHY Rhino has this policy but what can we say, they do have it so unless they do decide to just go ahead and remaster the FM albums while they are still with Reprise then we'll simply have to wait so that way they can't give us the answer they've already given us, heck if FM went to another label and then we went back to them and said "OK, NOW that FM are with a different label, put them out" they may even then STILL say some other excuse to us as to why they can't do it but there's nothing we can really do about it. I don't think they are lying about that anyways. As I've said, they ARE VERY interested in putting out the FM albums again ALREADY (though they have not said any feelings about extras), they simply say that this is why they can't do it as of now. Why would they say this for no reason if they really do want to put out the Mac albums? I know we are suspicious of these record companies and all but this is one case that I think it's safe to believe what he is saying. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but I only feel this going by the thoughts of "well, what would they gain by lying to us about the reason as to why they can't do something that they DO want to do? JMHO though. Anyways, I hope this makes things easier to understand the feelings of those of us that wish to see such releases.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-29-2002 at 07:23 PM..
Old 09-28-2002, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Thinking About Tomorrow...

THANKS Musical Minded Ppl for your great
indepth explanations about the Mac Music!
Iam one who does not yet have DVD so......
a cd Audio would please these ears! Later! Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey