Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

29.06.2013 - Spokane

Song

Song/Intro

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5...%20(10.53).mp4 [10.53 minutes, 27MB]

What Was Said

S: And they found the song floating around on YouTube. So I’m really giving YouTube one thumbs up on that. There’s the song. I show it to Lindsey and I go ‘Can you believe we never showed it to Fleetwood Mac? Or recorded it? Anything, nothing?’ And he said ‘Well, I had forgotten the song ever existed also.’ And I said ‘Well, do you remember it now?’ And he says ‘Well, yeah, I’m playing on it so I guess that must be me.’ So we decided to record it.

S: So the end of this whole story is – and any time you wanna jump in, Lindsey, just jump in –
L: *gestures*
S: I know. I lose like my whole train of thought. So anyway, Mick Fleetwood, when HE heard the song...

S: So. Okay, now, you can take it from here.
L: Who, me?
S: Yeah, you.
L: Oh. Well, let’s see. Oh, Mick actually, he did call me and he said “Lindsey?” And I said “Yes, Mick?” Really I didn’t. I’d only met this guy once so... He said “Would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?” And I said “Well, Mick, if you take me, you’re going to have to take my girlfriend too!” *Lindsey walks over to Stevie at her mic and they lean in close for a brief embrace/conversation* *Lindsey walks back to his mic*
S: Fact checking.
L: What checking?
S: Fact.
L: Fact?
S: Fact.
L: *mock incredulous* As if there was any doubt?
S: ??? *laughs*
L: Sheesh. No. I said that because I loved you so much [???] And I think it worked out okay!
S: So, the end of the story is that I would like to thank my boys up here for different, for things. I’d like to take Lindsey for taking me with him into Fleetwood Mac. Thank you. *Stevie bows to him* I’m forever grateful. Being a waitress was getting old, old, old. I’d like to thank Mr Mick Fleetwood for taking both Lindsey and I on his Alice in Wonderland wild ride through the centuries. And I’d also like to thank Mr John McVie because I know that even though he doesn’t say much, back there in the distance John probably said to Mick ‘Just take the girl!’ Thank you, John.

30.06.2013 - Portland

Song

???

Intro

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/t9...d%20(8.33).mp4 [08.33 minutes, 26MB]

What Was Said

S: ...we were opening for all these great bands. And we were [???] the life [???] struggling musicians. And all money from my parents had been withdrawn when I stopped going to college so we were starting to be poor. But I wrote this poem and it was about Lindsey and I. It was probably the nicest, most beautiful thing I ever wrote about the two of us and he almost gets a little angry with me, I think, when he says ‘Well, it was just because it was the very beginning’ and that’s not true. It was because it was this beautiful romantic time and you can’t get around the fact that the world was romantic that we lived in; it was a beautiful , musical, romantic world. And we were part of it.

S: So we lived in a house full of cassettes. The house of cassettes. Everything we did was put on cassette. The cassette of the song was thrown somewhere and got lost.

S: 2010. Some of my friends are on my least favourite thing in the world – YouTube – and they find my song, Lindsey’s and my song, floating around and they bring it in and go ‘look, there’s this great song’ and I’m like *hands on hips* ‘Hmm. That’s the song that we, three times it’s been lost.’ And now it’s found. Who took it? We’ll never know. But I took it to Lindsey and said ‘So, what do you think?’ and he goes ‘well, I remember this song and I’m playing on it and it’s a well done, beautifully made demo if I do say so myself’ and, um, I said ‘well, I think we should record it’ and he said ‘Okay’. So we were getting ready to do some recording anyway so we went to his house, this is at the end of last year, and we recorded the song.

S: So, I’m going to let Lindsey, who is starting to look really bored over there, take the story from there. Take it, Lindsey!
L: Who, me? Um, let’s see.
S: Attracted to...
L: Attracted to...
S: The lead guitarist...
L: The lead guitarist. Hmm. Oh! Okay. Um, yes.
S: *away from mic, watching, a hand on hip and tapping fingers on stomach waiting*
L: Mick *Stevie points to Mick* in fact, who I’d only met once *Stevie shrugs*, did call me and he said ‘Ah, Lindsey?’ I said ‘Yes, Mick’ *Stevie mimes talking on telephone* He said ‘Would you like to join *Stevie mimes playing guitar* Fleetwood Mac?’ And of course, being the extremely *Stevie shakes head mock wearily at audience* loyal person that I am *Stevie holds hands up, rolls eyes and buries lowered head in hands* I said, ‘Well, Mick, yes but you’re going to have to take my girlfriend too!’ *Stevie bows* Is that what I was supposed to say?
S: It’s all good. The story goes back to me. So... This is why you don’t really want to know me. So. Uh uh. Okay. I’m having a senior moment. Okay. Alright. So I want to thank all the three men up here [???] for changing my life. In so many, many ways. First of all I would like to thank Lindsey Buckingham for taking me with him into Fleetwood Mac. Thank you [???]. Second of all, I would like to thank Mr Mick Fleetwood for taking both of us on his magical Alice in Wonderland trip through Never Never Land. And letting me give notice at my waitress job. Thank you, Mick. I will never, ever forget [???]. Third of all, thirdly, I would like to thank Mr John McVie, the most handsomest bass player ever. Because I think he was probably standing in the background somewhere and he just said to Mick ‘Just take the girl!’ I know he said. You did say that, didn’t you? *John shakes his head* You didn’t say that? *tries to mimic John* ‘Yes, of course I did!’ So, anyway – you know what, these people are not [???] – so the end of the story is we’re going to play the song for you.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 12-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The "fact checking" part was one of the funniest bits of the whole tour.

As far as Stevie saying Lindsey said he'd forgotten it ever existed, Lindsey said, "and I remembered it perfectly" when he was talking about the song in another interview.

But the way she tells it, if he actually said "that's me playing" that sounds like an evasive way of saying, "I don't really remember it."

Michele
Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

03.07.2013 - Los Angeles

Song

???

Intro

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/p0...3%20(6.01).mp4 [06.01 minutes, 17MB]

What Was Said

S: So it’s twice as long as the song that we’re going to play that’s getting this introduction so I’m going to try and be like a teacher – I did go to school for five years to be a teacher. So I’m going to try and focus. In 1970 there was a girl – me – who wrote a poem, a beautiful poem about Lindsey and me.

S: ...at the end of last year. And when we recorded it – he looks bored but he’s not. he’s enjoying this; he told me so – so Mick said...

S: So. This is always where I throw it over to Lindsey even though he doesn’t really want it. The end? [???]
L: Are you throwing it over to me?
S: I’m throwing it over to you now. *mimes throwing*
L: And, uh, let’s see. Well, you don’t always throw it over to me [???].
S: Well, I *gives up and turns away from mic*
L: Okay. Let’s see. Oh, yes, so, yes, she is right. Mick, we had met Mick only once and he had heard one or two of our songs. And about two weeks later I get a call from Mick saying ‘Lindsey’ and I say ‘Yes, Mick’. ‘Would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?’ he says. And I say ‘Well, Mick *laughs* if you take me *Lindsey points to himself*, you gotta take my girlfriend *Lindsey points to Stevie* too!’ *Stevie points to self*That’s what I call loyalty, baby [???].
S: He’s throwing it back to me now. Okay.
L: But, but, but -
S: But -
L: No, no, no, I mean, clearly it worked out.
S: So then I would like to take this moment to thank the boys. To thank Lindsey for saying to Mick ‘I can’t join your band and be lead guitarist if you don’t take my girlfriend.’ Thank you, Lindsey. *Lindsey blows her a kiss as she bows to him* I’d like to thank Mick Fleetwood for asking him and then me, both of us, to join this crazy band of crazy mad dogs [???] and Englishmen that went on a 37 year trip and ride. Thank you so much, Mick, for that. And then I’d like to thank John McVie, my favourite bass player in the world, for just going along with the whole thing and said ‘just bring the girl’.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Went to school for five years to be a teacher.

This "throwing it over" bit was pretty funny.

Michele
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

05.07.2013 - San Diego

Song

???

Intro

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/r1...o%20(7.22).mp4 [07.22 minutes, 23MB]

2. http://www.mediafire.com/download/68...o%20(7.21).mp4 [07.21 minutes, 33MB]

What Was Said

S: 2010 comes rolling along, 100 hundred years later, and some friends of mine come to me and say, well, there’s this great song and it’s on, oh yes you guessed it, YouTube. My song. Gone from the world, on YouTube. So whoever stole it and copied it, somehow through the waves of time, there it was. So I took the song to Lindsey and said “Listen to this!” And he’s like “Wow, that’s Without You” and I’m like “Yes, it is and we should record it.” And so we did.

S: Nowhere in the words ‘lead guitarist’ does it say ‘lead guitarist and his hippie girlfriend’. Not to mention that they already had a girl in the band. So strikes were not good. I mean, it was not in my favour. So, anyway, at this point I’d like to throw it over to *laughs* George Burns. *Stevie does throwing motion* *Lindsey points to self and then between them* Let’s do that again.
L: Are we going to do George and Gracie again?
S: We are going to do George and Graci-
L: Can’t we be somebody a little younger?
S: ??? pretty funny.
L: Yeah, we’re closing in on them
S: We’re closing in
L: Yeah, we are
S: When the music is gone...
L: We can do comedy
S: Do comedy
L: Yeah
S: Okay, so take it, Lindsey!
L: Me? Oh. Well, yes, yes. As you say, it didn’t look good for you, did it? *laughs**Stevie doing cleaning motions – sweeping etc* But... A couple of weeks later – And we’d only met Mick once; he’d heard one of our songs, really, in the studio. And a couple of weeks later we got this call, or I got this call. He says “Lindsey?” “Yes, Mick.” “Lindsey, would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?” I said “Well, uh, Mick.” “Yes, Lindsey?” “If you take me, you gotta take my girlfriend too.” *Stevie does prayerful bowing motion* *Stevie bows to Lindsey* *Lindsey lowers his voice, almost whispering* That, that’s looove. *Lindsey touches his chest*
S: Alright, it’s probably nine minutes already. So, to end our story *Lindsey checks watch* our beautiful story, uh, I would like to thank these men for, each one of them for a special thank you. Lindsey, thank you for telling Mick that you would not join Fleetwood Mac without me. Mick Fleetwood – for asking Lindsey and I join your wild Alice in Wonderland ride through the ???. And Mr, Mr John McVie for ??? the girl in the band, his wife. So he was, had to stand back and say “Okay, well I guess you can just bring the girl”. Thank you, John. *John tips hat*

Old 12-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really laughed when he said, "it didn't look good for you did it."

Once again, I want to wage an objection on behalf of George and Gracie. They were YOUNGER than Lindsey and Stevie when they were a comedy duo.

Stevie and Lindsey aren't closing in, they are already over the hill.

Michele
Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I really laughed when he said, "it didn't look good for you did it."

Once again, I want to wage an objection on behalf of George and Gracie. They were YOUNGER than Lindsey and Stevie when they were a comedy duo.

Stevie and Lindsey aren't closing in, they are already over the hill.

Michele
SnL look younger than Burns & Allen...

I think the closing in refers to their routine, not their age. Still funny stuff.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
SnL look younger than Burns & Allen...

They're definitely taller. Michele
Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They're definitely taller. Michele
That's something you don't hear often.

Short people. Yet another ironic similarity.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Just sayin'... http://buckinghamnicks-ff.tumblr.com...p-was-the-best

Anyway, I probably won't get a chance to post in here tomorrow so have a very, very merry christmas, all you folks who creep (or write) on the thread and celebrate that particular holiday. I've transcribed the entirety of today's Without You speech - the last of the US leg of the tour - as a little gift. Yes, I am just THAT generous.

xoxo

06.07.2013 - Sacramento

Song

???

Intro

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ee...o%20(8.28).mp4 [08.28 minutes, 23MB]

2. http://www.mediafire.com/download/l1...o%20(2.05).mp4 [02.05 minutes, 11MB]

What Was Said

S: It’s been the thing we’ve laughed about this entire tour because it started out as a little tiny introduction that was like 30 seconds and ended up, I think the longest time we did it was nine minutes. So it’s not going to be nine minutes tonight. Well, maybe. Um, anyway, this is the story. So in 1970 I was living in San Francisco, me and Lindsey were living in San Francisco and, um, I wrote a poem. He and I were going out and we were involved in a huge musical love affair. We were in the middle of the greatest San Francisco musical thing you could imagine and it was totally fantastic and we were writing like crazy and so I wrote this poem, this very beautiful poem about Lindsey and I. And, um, it was probably the nicest thing I ever wrote about the two of us. And I’m not just saying about him but about the two of us together. And so then, y’know, I don’t always put my poems to music right away so the poem went in a drawer and sometime in the next two years or year – I don’t even know – we hopped in Lindsey’s Buick Skylark and drove to Los Angeles with 12 songs and got a record deal. That was our mission. So we got a record deal, we made a record, it was the Buckingham Nicks record. It came out in 1973 and it came out to high critical, critical, high critical acclaim. And then Polydor records just dropped it three months later. So that was not high, that was low. And Lindsey and I were freaked out, completely, and we really didn’t know what to do so we did what all struggling musicians do – we decided we would start another Buckingham Nicks record.

So we conned a very great, old music studio out in the valley of Los Angeles into giving us free time and we went in there and started making another record. So that’s when we think that this song, Without You, uh, that’s when we think we put it to music. Not sure but that’s what we think. So, anyway, we made a really good demo and then, as many demos did in those days – Our house was full of cassettes, thousands of ‘em, and someone stole our cassette of Without You. Because it disappeared. For quite a while. And then whoever stole it, whether it was one of our sleazy friends or one of our good friends who thought ‘I’ll keep it because they’re gonna lose it’, they brought it back so we never knew it got stolen. And then we lost it. So that was the second time it was lost. So, um, then the song was gone. So down the road we, uh – this is where I get off track – this is where Lindsey walks away from the microphone, ‘what is she talking about?’ So, um, this is our last night and I am so tired and that’s why I’m completely crazy. So, anyway, bear with me. So the song then re-appeared on my least favourite thing in the world, YouTube. And some my friends of got it off, I said ‘well get it off and put it on a CD so I can play it for Lindsey’. So we did and I played it for Lindsey and I said ‘The song, it’s back’. And I said ‘Do you remember this song?’ and he’s like ‘Well, yeah, it’s us’ and I’m like ‘It is, huh, and it’s really good so we should record it.’ So we did.

We went to Lindsey’s house at the end of last year and we recorded it and we recorded it, we were very loyal to the original demo and, um, and Mick said – this is where the story gets complicated – So Mick says to me, ‘When we go out on the road – *to Mick* don’t hide, don’t hide’. Mick says, ‘Don’t forget to remind the audience that this is one the things, on this song, that really attracted me to you guys, the way that Lindsey plays and the way the two of you sing to the way that he plays’. Because Lindsey and I sing and play in a very counterpoint way. And I think that that is really what makes what he and I do very special. So he said ‘Remind the audience of that’. So I went ‘Okay’ and so for the first three weeks we’re out there, my story is right to here and I’m reminding the audience. And one night Lindsey says, in front of 15 or 16 thousand people, ‘Hang on! That is NOT what happened. What happened is Fleetwood Mac’s guitar player had quit and they were looking for a lead guitarist.’ I said, ‘Yes, they were.’ And he said, he didn’t say this, I said this – Nowhere in the words ‘lead guitarist’ did it say ‘lead guitarist and hippie girlfriend’. *says thank you twice in reply to laughs and a wolf whistle* But, so I wasn’t really asked [???]to join the band. So anyway, but Lindsey was so, at this point I throw the entire story over to Lindsey *does throwing motion*. Take it, Lindsey!

L: Me? [???] Okay. Well, let’s see. What happened then? Oh, I know. Well, yes, it’s true. We had run into Mick at the studio and he had heard one of our songs only, I believe. And we’d only met Mick once. A couple of weeks later he, uh, he called me back. He said ‘Lindsey?’*mimes phone call* I said ‘Yes, Mick?’ He said ‘Would you consider joining Fleetwood Mac?’ And I said ‘Well, Mick, Mick, if, uh...‘ *repeats what an audience member says* Yeah, way to go, Mick. *thumbs up* Always the eye for talent. *laughs* But, you know, he said ‘Would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?’ and I said ‘Well, Mick, if you take me, you got to take my girlfriend too!’ Yeeah. And that, that is*in lower voice* love, baby.

S: So that beautiful sentiment being stated by Mr Buckingham, this is what I then do in the story. I want to thank all three of the boys up here. First of all, I would like to thank Lindsey for telling Mick that he wouldn’t join Fleetwood Mac unless they took me too. Thank you, Lindsey. Because I was really tired of being a waitress and a cleaning lady. Still. I could go back to it in a minute. And I’d like to tell Mick Fleetwood, Mick, thank you for taking Lindsey and I through your mad Alice in Wonderland journey down through the century of life. We thank you, both of us, so much.

And last but certainly not least I would like to thank the best bass player in the whole world because he ??? was married to the other woman in the band and he never said, you know, ‘I don’t think this is really a good idea’. So you went along with it cos John really could have switched [?] the whole thing, I think, actually. Well, you know what, on the next tour when we go to Australia, we’ll discuss that part of the story. Oh, he can’t wait. *laughs* So, thank you Johnny Mac. Appreciate it. ??? So this is it, this is the little song. It’s called Without You.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Yes, I am just THAT generous.
Tis true. Thank you! Michele
Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Um, sorry?

I've decided to transcribe the entire speeches from this point on so hope that works for you. Also, apologies again for all the times my hearing screwed up and I made errors in transcribing. And let's continue...

20.09.2013 - Dublin

Intro / Song

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/w4...13_(11.45).mp4 [11.45 minutes, 41MB]

What Was Said

S: And over the 47 times we did it in the United States, it seemed to get longer every single night. In fact, it was so long, it was like three times longer than the actual song it was introducing. So, of course I tried to shorten the story; it just never worked. The story just got longer and longer. So now since I haven’t told the story in two months, maybe it’ll be shorter. The problem is, I’m not sure I’ll remember the story at all! So I’m going to try and start with the beginning of the story. This song is, uh, on our EP and it was a song that was a poem in probably 1972 – I’m totally guessing – before Lindsey and I moved to Los Angeles from San Francisco. And I, you know, probably stuck it in a jewellery box or something and off we went, with everything that we had. And my poem. And, uh, we got there in 1972 and then we started working on the Buckingham Nicks record. And the song never got put to music but the poem hung around. So, anyway, we did the Buckingham Nicks album. I mean, yeah, we did. Then we found the poem. Again. Somewhere. And we put it to music. I put it to music. And then we made a demo of it and it got lost, the cassette, lost, gone. So, you know, we were writing so much stuff that we forgot, we just forgot we even had written it.

So it was gone and then, after all those years – I’m trying, I’m struggling here – and then after like a hundred years, in 2010, we were in Hawaii and some of my friends who are on, you guessed it, YouTube, said to me “Well, listen to this song!” and I’m like “Okay” and here’s this song that was lost in probably 1974. And, and I’m like “I love this song”. I can’t remember, I can’t believe we didn’t a) didn’t put it on the Buckingham Nicks record and b) never even played it for Fleetwood Mac because it should’ve been recorded years ago. So I brought it to Lindsey and said “Well, listen to this” and he’s like “Yeah, I remember this; I think the song got lost.” So, to make a long story short... It’s not working, is it? Um, he does remember it and we made such a good demo of it that whoever stole our song – which was probably one of our sleazy friends – um, when it went on the YouTube, they like put pictures to it and everything so it’s all like this little video, right? So I said to Lindsey “Lindsey, we should record this. Again. Because our demo is great but it’s on YouTube, you don’t have the real thing so we have to re-do it.” And he agreed. *to Lindsey* Right?

L: I always agree with you.

S: *laughs*(???) That is the worst thing (???) He loved the song. He did love the song. Because it’s the nicest – this is the part that I forgot to tell you – it’s the nicest song, it’s the nicest poem that I ever wrote about the two of us. About our relationship in the beginning. I know. And so it’s really, you know, before fame and all the creepiness creeped in, there was a really sweet girl and a really sweet boy that sang together and made beautiful music and wrote a song like this.

L: *points*

S: Oh, right. One more thing. So, Mick said to me – I forgot all about (???) sitting there! There ya are (???) Marching to the beat of your own drum – So, Mick said to me, after we recorded this at Lindsey’s house at the very end of last year, he said, “Well, don’t forget to remind the audience that this is one of the things that I heard that I loved about you guys. Because when you play, Lindsey – Lindsey kind of plays in a counterpoint way to the way you both sing and it’s a kind of a this thing and it’s great.” And so I said “Okay. So that’s what I’ll do. I’ll tell them the story and I’ll tell them about the counterpoint thing and the thing that happened in 1972.” So one night I’m saying “So, anyway, this song was, you know, was-” Okay, I’m lost. It came down to I was telling a story that wasn’t exactly true. I was saying that Fleetwood Mac. See, I’m completely lost. That Fleetwood Mac would, needed. I am so lost.

L: It’s okay.

S: I, we have not, I mean, really, we’ve not played in two months.

L: It’s good, it’s good.

S: Okay, well, I’m trying to get to the key of this which is –

L: Take your time. Take your time.

S: I, but, I’m taking my time but, I, I – Okay, alright. Let me think. Let me just think for a minute. So one night I was saying that what attracted Mick – I’m getting, it’s coming back – to us was the way that we sang and to the way that Lindsey played. And Lindsey goes “Ah, but no! What attracted Mick to us was me.” Him. *points to Lindsey* Because what Fleetwood Mac needed was a fantastic, smokin’ hot guitarist, lead guitar player. And nowhere in ‘smokin’ hot lead guitar player’ does it say ‘and his hippie girlfriend’. So... I would like to take a moment more to thank Lindsey for bringing me into Fleetwood Mac when he joined Fleetwood Mac. *bows down to Lindsey*

L: You see, you remember what I said, right? No?

S: *shakes head*

L: Well, Mick, you know, we met Mick and he heard something playing and then about two weeks later he calls us up and says “Lindsey, would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?” And I said “Well, Mick, you’ll have to take my girlfriend too.” But I think it worked out okay.

S: So, after all that, we are going to sing the song which is only one third as long as that little story.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Um, sorry?

I've decided to transcribe the entire speeches from this point on so hope that works for you.
Great news for us, if your fingers can survive it.

"I always agree with you." Hilarious. Thank you. Michele
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Great news for us, if your fingers can survive it.

"I always agree with you." Hilarious. Thank you. Michele
I should be able to manage without keeling over and dying. *crosses fingers* I've stockpiled a little and, as of today, have transcribed up to and including Glasgow.

Indeedy! And he couldn't be more accurate of course, as we see from Stevie's lack of reaction to the truth. I mean, Lindsey is all things amenable, non-argumentative and non-confrontational, bless him... <3

Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

21.09.2013 - Dublin

Intro

Song

???

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/fa....13_(8.53).mp4 [08.53 minutes, 35MB]

What Was Said

S: I had enough trouble introducing it for 47 dates in the United States and now that we haven’t played in two months I’m ??? real problem. So it started out to be like four minutes long and by the end, when we got to the end of the United States, it was like ten minutes long, three times longer than the actual song. So every night when I would come offstage people would go like *looks to where a watch would be* ‘Okay, really. You could add another three songs for the introduction to this song’. So I tried to shorten it but now, not only is it not able to be shortened, but now I can’t hardly remember the story because it’s been two months. So, you have to bear with me. Um, I was walking around with an earphone in half an hour before trying to remember the story by listening to it from the United States but that didn’t help me at all. So, in the beginning... *laughs* Before God. I’m kidding.

In the beginning, in 1971, um, Lindsey and Stevie were going together in Los, in San Francisco, and I wrote a poem about he and I. And it was probably the nicest thing I ever wrote about the two of us because it was before creepy old fame and all the crap that comes along with getting famous and all that comes along and messes everything up. And so this particular poem was one of those, like, amazing grace poems that really told a story of who he and I were in the beginning. So, I didn’t put it to music; sometimes I don’t put my poems to music until way after. So Lindsey and I hopped in the car with all our stuff in, I think, 1971, 1972 – he tells me – I don’t really remember the year. It was the beginning of the seventies at some point. We drove down to Los Angeles and moved in with our producer and then we go ready to do the Buckingham Nicks album which we had our twelve songs done because we had worked all those up before we left San Francisco. So we’re working on the Buckingham Nicks album and somehow this poem never got put to music before Buckingham Nicks. So after Buckingham Nicks was put out and dropped – bummer, I know, such a bummer, you have nooo idea – so back to scratch. We were back to the beginning. In the beginning, second time. Um, so here’s the poem and we put the poem to music. I mean, I think I put the poem to music but I don’t really play that well so I have a feeling that Lindsey probably had something to do with it. But I’ve never said that before so, knowing that, he’s probably going to take 50% of my royalties on the song! The things that flow out of your mouth when you’re not thinking. So, anyway, we put this song to music and it came out great and we made a great demo and the demo got lost. Well, it didn’t really get lost, somebody stole the demo. We’re not sure who. Could’ve been a good friend who thought they’d put it in whatever so it would last forever, and then it could’ve been a sleazy friend who thought ‘I’ll copy it and then take it back right where I found it and they’ll never know and then, in years to come, I’ll have the original demo’. So that’s what happened, we think. But what happened to us was that we then found it and then lost it again. Gone. So when we actually got to Fleetwood Mac, instead of having this great song that we should’ve already recorded to play for Fleetwood Mac, we had lost it and forgotten about it. So –

Audience member: Aww.

S: I know! So, years go by, hundreds and hundreds of years, because of course we’re vampires. We’re really Edward and Bella. So hundreds of years later in 2010. 2010 I was in Hawaii on a little teeny vacation and some of my friends who are on the computers said “Well, gosh, we found this great song and it’s on YouTube and it’s got little pictures of you and Lindsey and it’s really sweet” and I’m like “Okay” and they play it for me and I’m like “It’s the song! It’s the lost song!” So I come back and I play it for Lindsey and I go “Do you remember this song?” and he’s like “Well, duh, yeah, I’m playing on it, and I think it was about me so, yes, I do.” So I said “Don’t you like think it’s amazing?” and he said “Yes, I do” so I said “Why don’t we record it for this EP we’re making for this tour?” So he said “Okay, we’ll do that.” So we went up to his house for four days at the end of, at the very end of last year, and we recorded four songs of which this was one. And when we got done with the song my friend Mick Fleetwood said to me “Don’t forget to remind the audience that one of things that really attracted me to you and Lindsey was the way that you guys sing in juxtaposition to the way that Lindsey plays the guitar.” Counterpoint. And I always thought that too and I didn’t know if anybody ever noticed that but that’s one of the things that I think’s most special about the way we sing and he plays.

So, I, we went on the road in the United States and for about three weeks I’m telling this whole story and I’m going “So don’t forget that that’s what attracted Mick Fleetwood to us.” And one night Lindsey goes “But, no! That’s not what attracted Mick Fleetwood to you and I.” What attracted him was the fact that they needed a smokin’ hot lead guitarist! And nowhere in that description does it say ‘and his hippie girlfriend’. So we wanted to clear that up for ya and, at the same time, I wanted to say thank you, Lindsey, for taking me with you into Fleetwood Mac. And I know there’s a little part of the story I’ve missed here but whatever. Um, *to Lindsey* would you like to say anything? *laughs* Not really. Nothing at all?

L: Do you want me to say something?

S: Yes! Please. Jump in!

L: Say something. Let’s see. Sure was hot today. I took a walk; I had to put a T-shirt on.

S: And that is outrageous! Okay -
*talking over each other*
L: Yeah, okay, I’ll say something else. Well, I think I know what you were thinking of.

S: Well.

L: It was the fact that Mick did actually hear my playing and a couple of weeks later their guitarist decided to leave and, of course, out of the blue we get this call, ah, or I get a call from Mick Fleetwood saying “Hey, Lindsey, would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?” And of course, being the *emphasises* LOYAL boyfriend that I was *Mick and Stevie mime playing little violins* *Lindsey also mimes playing violin, complete with sound effect* I said “Mick, if you take me, you gotta take my girlfriend too.”

S: And Mick said *pause* *laughs* And John said *pause* John is sitting on the ground (?) thinking ‘I could’ve gone to the bar and had a drink!’ Anyway, long story short or short story long – I just made that up; it’s a good one, huh? That could be a song right there – um, this little song, this little poem that travelled through the centuries right here to this stage tonight is, we do it almost exactly like the demo that we made in probably 1974. And we would like to do it for you. It’s called Without You.