The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sigh. I'll ignore all the evil gold digger stuff, because even if she is, who cares if he's happy and producing good music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I'd put most of the responsibility (blame) on David Kahne. Simply put, he had no idea what to do with Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham, or even Stevie Nicks (as evidenced by how he handled TISL. but, that's for a whole other thread)- and was mortified at the thought of releasing GOS (as it stood in 1998) as-is. I think a lot of it had to do with the then-recent merger between AOL-Time Warner, and Kahne (commercial hitmaker/producer extraordinaire) entirely focused on the bottom line. Kahne was merely the interim acting President, so he logically had a vested interest in keeping (perceived) vanity projects by legacy/catalogue artists in line (Stevie applies here too).

Keep in mind, Kahne and Briggs are the two dunderheaded idiots who blundered the whole Wilco/Yankee Hotel Foxtrot fiasco (which went on at the exact same time as the drawn out GOS negotiations, not too coincidentally). Briggs famously offered his mea culpa in numerous print interviews (and the Greg Kot authored Wilco book, which he's heavily featured in, if anyone's interested), but he was complicit.

Hell, even when they gave Lindsey the green light to release GOS in early summer of '01 strategically on the heels of TISL (after he wrote the commercial "Peacekeeper" as a new lead single), they wanted Lindsey to make the concession of having Mick be prominently involved in the promotional aspect. They even went as far as having a Fall '01 tour all lined up- 1500-2000 seat venues for "An evening with Lindsey & Mick"- and Lindsey ultimately bailed, acknowledging the inevitable FM activity in '02, making the tour/album redundant.

That aside- did Briggs intentionally try to sabotage the release of GOS? I tend to doubt it. But there was no love lost between the two. Briggs worked VERY closely with Lindsey in the mid 90's. I'm sure if you're trying to get an album out, and you just "stole" the wife of your label's VP of Artist Development/Promotion, you're bound to get some pushback from the label on some level. Reprise was already wary of a solo album of Lindsey's, and they weren't going to make it easy for him even in the best case scenario.

From everything I've heard, Briggs is a great guy- one of the good guys in the music industry (he's still around). If you want to blame anyone, blame the asshat Kahne.
Wow, that's fascinating stuff, thank you for all that. I followed all the Wilco stuff closely but I didn't realise that Lindsey went through a similar thing with the same guys involved. Of course Lindsey could have taken the album to another label like Wilco did, even if he wasn't lucky enough for them give it to him for free, it wasn't like he was in a Juliana Hatfield type situation where he wouldn't have been able to afford it. Interesting that instead he went back to Fleetwood Mac. After fighting for the album it obviously wasn't precious enough for him not to slice it up and give it to the Mac. But I suppose he knows more people will hear it as a FM product rather than a Lindsey Buckingham product, and I guess the ego thing plays into that as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, the court's website doesn't say. Actually, it still says "pending" but that is not accurate. We have what they call "fast track," a delay reduction program. No dissolution proceeding would be allowed to pend for 13 years. Even if there were unresolved property or custody issues, the dissolution would either be granted or the case would be dismissed. It wouldn't just keep "pending." Anyway, that information was never updated, so I don't know when it was final.

Michele
Oh, ok. Well, that's weird...and curious.

Quote:
He's a friend/colleague of a friend/colleague. The source is impeccable. I briefly met him (Gary) in Fall '02, but we didn't talk about anything of substance.

I'd put most of the responsibility (blame) on David Kahne. Simply put, he had no idea what to do with Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham, or even Stevie Nicks (as evidenced by how he handled TISL. but, that's for a whole other thread)- and was mortified at the thought of releasing GOS (as it stood in 1998) as-is. I think a lot of it had to do with the then-recent merger between AOL-Time Warner, and Kahne (commercial hitmaker/producer extraordinaire) entirely focused on the bottom line. Kahne was merely the interim acting President, so he logically had a vested interest in keeping (perceived) vanity projects by legacy/catalogue artists in line (Stevie applies here too).

Keep in mind, Kahne and Briggs are the two dunderheaded idiots who blundered the whole Wilco/Yankee Hotel Foxtrot fiasco (which went on at the exact same time as the drawn out GOS negotiations, not too coincidentally). Briggs famously offered his mea culpa in numerous print interviews (and the Greg Kot authored Wilco book, which he's heavily featured in, if anyone's interested), but he was complicit.

Hell, even when they gave Lindsey the green light to release GOS in early summer of '01 strategically on the heels of TISL (after he wrote the commercial "Peacekeeper" as a new lead single), they wanted Lindsey to make the concession of having Mick be prominently involved in the promotional aspect. They even went as far as having a Fall '01 tour all lined up- 1500-2000 seat venues for "An evening with Lindsey & Mick"- and Lindsey ultimately bailed, acknowledging the inevitable FM activity in '02, making the tour/album redundant.

That aside- did Briggs intentionally try to sabotage the release of GOS? I tend to doubt it. But there was no love lost between the two. Briggs worked VERY closely with Lindsey in the mid 90's. I'm sure if you're trying to get an album out, and you just "stole" the wife of your label's VP of Artist Development/Promotion, you're bound to get some pushback from the label on some level. Reprise was already wary of a solo album of Lindsey's, and they weren't going to make it easy for him even in the best case scenario.

From everything I've heard, Briggs is a great guy- one of the good guys in the music industry (he's still around). If you want to blame anyone, blame the asshat Kahne.
Thanks for all the info Luke. Very interesting. The AOL/Warner merger didn't happen until January 2001 officially. The timeline is curious to me...TISL was released in May of 2001 and by her summer tour Stevie was already making announcements that LB and Mick had rented the house to record SYW in and that they were working on her songs. If LB is done with GOS in '96 and then it's left to hang for The Dance in '97 - how/why is he then allowed to release the supposed frowned upon UTS in '06? Why does he not release GOS as his first post-Mac tour solo project?

Last edited by CADreaming; 03-17-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
When I met him and told him how I felt about his music, he said, "Thank you so much sweetheart," then looked me right in the eye and started batting them at me- or whatever he does where he repeatedly blinks them. Then he gave me a once over, very matter-of-factly, and a big smile, and moved on. He's a very sexy guy...but you all knew that.
I think he's given you more than a once over!--I was in that crowd when you met him, he seemed pretty locked into you And I've been to a few other shows where you were up front and LB seemed to keep coming back & playing just for you (those must have been shows where Kristen wasn't there lol!) I think LB is probably pretty faithful to Kristen, but I don't think I'd leave him alone with my girlfriend(!) I definitely wouldn't leave my girlfriend alone with that Brett dude, he's always scoping out women to take back to his hotel room
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd World Man View Post
I think he's given you more than a once over!--I was in that crowd when you met him, he seemed pretty locked into you And I've been to a few other shows where you were up front and LB seemed to keep coming back & playing just for you (those must have been shows where Kristen wasn't there lol!) I think LB is probably pretty faithful to Kristen, but I don't think I'd leave him alone with my girlfriend(!) I definitely wouldn't leave my girlfriend alone with that Brett dude, he's always scoping out women to take back to his hotel room
Hmm...I think Lindsey probably just focuses on a person or two from every show. I doubt I'm an exception. But I was enthralled in those moments, of course. I understood the power of that man's presence times a million.

Brett...aww, Brett. Wow, well, I had a great experience meeting up with him and just talking. He's a wonderful guy, very sweet, and not a sleaze. I won't refute what you wrote re: any liaisons, but I will say he's a charming, sweet, fun guy and I definitely cheer for him on his own (during LB shows). He's such a great person.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 03-18-2009 at 11:50 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understood the power of that man's presence times a million.
yep, s w o o n

Lindsey has a crush on Nico...sooo cute!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
yep, s w o o n

Lindsey has a crush on Nico...sooo cute!
I don't think Kristen has completely squashed LB's charming womanizer side, and since he's married I guess he can have crushes and not worry about getting in too much trouble .

As for Brett...I'm sure he knows how to pour on the charm (he's been around LB for years, tell me the dude didn't take notes!) But you can tell his goal is to simply get the hottest girl(s) after a show in his bed. Wouldn't you consider that sleazy? I would!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Michelle Daya
This message has been deleted by Michelle Daya.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Registered

Wish you hadn't deleted that, Michelle Daya. If its true, its certainly worthy of this topic.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Wish you hadn't deleted that, Michelle Daya. If its true, its certainly worthy of this topic.
i know, it's definitely relevant and after reading this thread, it all made sense. i know he didn't do anything and maybe that was why i deleted it. i remember thinking the whole thing was just weird in how he behaved considering his wife was in the room {although not within eyeshot to begin with} but i don't know, i had some kind of guilt after i posted it i think others in the thread spelled it out anyway
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Daya View Post
i know, it's definitely relevant and after reading this thread, it all made sense. i know he didn't do anything and maybe that was why i deleted it. i remember thinking the whole thing was just weird in how he behaved considering his wife was in the room {although not within eyeshot to begin with} but i don't know, i had some kind of guilt after i posted it i think others in the thread spelled it out anyway
Michelle, you don't have to feel guilty. You posted an observation. It wasn't like you were saying, "Lindsey Buckingham is an unfaithful womanizer without the common decency to keep it together when his wife is in the room" or "Kristen Buckingham is an insecure, controlling wife."

Um, I'm sure no one would think less of you. I have myself seen LB flirty. Shoot, he checked me out, once very blatantly and a few other times like any other woman. I guess I'm not quite as conservative as some as I don't see it as a crime if a man looks at another lady. It's never bothered me, not even with my own man. If he's grabbing/groping/messing about that's another story altogether, but there are so many attractive women in the world...how can one avoid it?

BTW: the above statements I made in quotation marks were simply examples. I do not believe them myself. I have total respect for Lindsey and Kristen and their marriage and none of what I said (in quotation marks) is meant to be taken seriously. Thought I would mention that in case. Some people are sensitive...

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 03-20-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Michelle, you don't have to feel guilty. You posted an observation. It wasn't like you were saying, "Lindsey Buckingham is an unfaithful womanizer without the common decency to keep it together when his wife is in the room" or "Kristen Buckingham is an insecure, controlling wife."

Um, I'm sure no one would think less of you. I have myself seen LB flirty. Shoot, he checked me out, once very blatantly and a few other times like any other woman. I guess I'm not quite as conservative as some as I don't see it as a crime if a man looks at another lady. It's never bothered me, not even with my own man. If he's grabbing/groping/messing about that's another story altogether, but there are so many attractive women in the world...how can one avoid it?

BTW: the above statements I made in quotation marks were simply examples. I do not believe them myself. I have total respect for Lindsey and Kristen and their marriage and none of what I said (in quotation marks) is meant to be taken seriously. Thought I would mention that in case. Some people are sensitive...
I think alot of people have observed LB checking other women out. I agree that's it's hard to avoid if there is a really attractive member of the opposite sex nearby--I do it as almost a reflex action, and sometimes it happens when my girlfriend is there. I don't do it to make her jealous, mind you. She's pretty secure, but I'm not. I can deal with her occasional glances at passing studs, but if she's doing it all the time, that to me is a sign she's looking.

Plus I think it's very disrespectful to your mate to constantly point out how attractive other people are (in a flirty way, not just observational). If you are really happy & secure in your relationship, you aren't easily swayed by some eye candy. I'm sure Kristen is watching for the same thing. If LB starts checking out women all the time, I bet she would be upset. It's probably not easy being married to a guy that like 10,000 other women would die to be with! Sure she keeps a short leash on that dude!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Daya View Post
You don't mean that whole "Atlanta" incident do you?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Ledgie

I got lost. What do u mean with the Atlanta incident???? now I'm curiouss!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

So maybe the case is so with LB. But imo he looks like he loves the blondies...aww, with his cute little blond daughters.
Lindsey dated some chick in high school didnt he...before Stevie?
was she a blonde? any1 know?
or did Stevie tarnish him for life with her blonde locks?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Supposedly. Other than the obvious question of "why haven't these photos ever surfaced", there is reason to think that this story isn't true. While the photoshoot reference is the standard line, every once in a while they (usually Lindsey) slip and say it was actually at a recording session. Based on who Kristen was dating at the time, I think this version is much closer to reality.
um...maybe
like the song lyric someone previously posted
where Lindsey was eluding to a meeting with a prostitute
and Kristen is a "PROfessional"

...maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinnette View Post
I got lost. What do u mean with the Atlanta incident???? now I'm curiouss!!!!!!!!

i missed the original/deleted post
but the Cheetah girl incident? lol poor lindsey. he's just a man
and a rock star
rock stars don't live in everyone else's reality
isnt that what Stevie is always harping on about

Last edited by StreetAngel86; 03-21-2009 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: to add new quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
You don't mean that whole "Atlanta" incident do you?
Cheetah Girls??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
Lindsey dated some chick in high school didnt he...before Stevie?
was she a blonde? any1 know?
or did Stevie tarnish him for life with her blonde locks?
Nah...good 'ol Sally was a brunette. Just label him Tarnished and Feathered...