User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Stevie was to perform Go Your Own Way

I woke up this morning and saw Stevie trending on twitter. I think she performed in Houston last night and commented about Maui. There was a photo of Stevie on stage in the 1970s with an acoustic guitar. I think we all saw clips of her strumming with Fleetwood Mac. However someone posted that in February 1977 the band went into Rumours tour rehearsals and Lindsey was trying to teach Stevie the acoustic parts to perform live. However she could not cut it and the band was forced to hire Ray Lindsey. I suppose Ray would be forever grateful for Stevie not able to do the job. They actually posted the audio of Chris talking, Lindsey playing, etc. Stevie jokes that her debut is not debuting
Sort of surprising since she plays piano fairly well

Hope this link works
https://twitter.com/morethanashoe/st...13929738444802
Old 08-13-2023, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I woke up this morning and saw Stevie trending on twitter. I think she performed in Houston last night and commented about Maui. There was a photo of Stevie on stage in the 1970s with an acoustic guitar. I think we all saw clips of her strumming with Fleetwood Mac. However someone posted that in February 1977 the band went into Rumours tour rehearsals and Lindsey was trying to teach Stevie the acoustic parts to perform live. However she could not cut it and the band was forced to hire Ray Lindsey. I suppose Ray would be forever grateful for Stevie not able to do the job. They actually posted the audio of Chris talking, Lindsey playing, etc. Stevie jokes that her debut is not debuting
Sort of surprising since she plays piano fairly well

Hope this link works
https://twitter.com/morethanashoe/st...13929738444802
Stevie COULD play the piano fairly well if she actually prioritized it. Her playing isn't totally awful (her piano demo of Sisters is better than many others and shows her potential). I do think she tried to play better in the beginning what with her demos having to be presented to the band up against Christine's playing. But then she got famous and had all sorts of people to help her and she just got less and less motivated to play anything more than her two-notes with two fingers. Sad really. I think she was similar with guitar.

But the idea she was EVER capable of playing live onstage (no discipline and no consistency) and especially on one of LINDSEY'S songs is beyond laughable.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
But the idea she was EVER capable of playing live onstage (no discipline and no consistency) and especially on one of LINDSEY'S songs is beyond laughable.
Yeah I agree, this can’t have really been given any legit consideration by Lindsey. That acoustic part was so important to the song’s construction- I can’t imagine him really suggesting that she could handle this on stage every single night.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Yeah I agree, this can’t have really been given any legit consideration by Lindsey. That acoustic part was so important to the song’s construction- I can’t imagine him really suggesting that she could handle this on stage every single night.
But they tried (if you listen to the video). Maybe she volunteered and it did not work. I don't think the acoustic strumming on GYOW is the most difficult part ever. However you definitely would need basic guitar knowledge.
Did she not receive an acoustic guitar on her 16th birthday. She should have went Eddie Van Halen all over them.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But they tried (if you listen to the video). Maybe she volunteered and it did not work. I don't think the acoustic strumming on GYOW is the most difficult part ever. However you definitely would need basic guitar knowledge.
Did she not receive an acoustic guitar on her 16th birthday. She should have went Eddie Van Halen all over them.
I would agree it really wouldn’t be that difficult of a part to play. What is it, three chords? But there was no way anyone was seriously going to take the song out on the road with her playing it. I’m not saying she was ever going to be Nancy Wilson wielding that acoustic around the stage like a dynamo, but I think her career would’ve taken a far more interesting path if she had spent any time learning how to play a guitar or piano with even some Credibility.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would agree it really wouldn’t be that difficult of a part to play. What is it, three chords? But there was no way anyone was seriously going to take the song out on the road with her playing it. I’m not saying she was ever going to be Nancy Wilson wielding that acoustic around the stage like a dynamo, but I think her career would’ve taken a far more interesting path if she had spent any time learning how to play a guitar or piano with even some Credibility.
Are you saying she plays tambourine with no credibility?
Old 08-14-2023, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But there was no way anyone was seriously going to take the song out on the road with her playing it. I’m not saying she was ever going to be Nancy Wilson wielding that acoustic around the stage like a dynamo, but I think her career would’ve taken a far more interesting path if she had spent any time learning how to play a guitar or piano with even some Credibility.
There’s the famous mid-70s tour rehearsal picture of Stevie with a guitar (which first ran in Newsweek, I guess) and also the picture from the 1979 tour rehearsal in the People cover story of November 1979 (probably playing “Save Me a Place” with Christine and Lindsey also on acoustic).

She just did not have the chops to play seriously in front of a paying audience (for show, she used to play the electric piano on “Rhiannon” for thirty seconds on the 1983 solo tour). Wasn’t it some print interview where Christine said that Stevie should have built her chops and played onstage just to be thought of as “one of the musicians”? Stevie had every opportunity to do so in a fifty-year career and chose not to. (We know why: it doesn’t look alluring for the Welsh witch to have a guitar strapped around her shoulders. It restricts her flowing movements.) Her guitar playing is OK for someone’s living room (that may be her playing on one of her demos on the Enchanted box set), but her piano playing shouldn’t be foisted on any paying customer — except in a decorative context (where she puts candles on a grand piano and bangs out “Dreams” or “Gypsy”). She is practically hopeless on an instrument. Her voice is her instrument (and a good one it is).

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/fleetw...1823104572544/

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-14-2023, 01:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Carol Ann Harris mentioned this in her Storms book. According to Harris, Nicks was the one who suggested that she play the acoustic guitar onstage, but Buckingham quickly grew frustrated with her inability to play the part sufficiently and ultimately decided against it.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Carol Ann Harris mentioned this in her Storms book. According to Harris, Nicks was the one who suggested that she play the acoustic guitar onstage, but Buckingham quickly grew frustrated with her inability to play the part sufficiently and ultimately decided against it.
I do remember that from the book. I can only imagine the intensity of those moments of her trying to do it right for him.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I do remember that from the book. I can only imagine the intensity of those moments of her trying to do it right for him.
He may have said some things out of frustration. Her response was "Would you say that to Eric Clapton."
Old 08-15-2023, 04:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He may have said some things out of frustration. Her response was "Would you say that to Eric Clapton."
chef's kiss

Last edited by cbBen; 08-15-2023 at 06:48 AM..
Old 08-15-2023, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you saying she plays tambourine with no credibility?
She plays a taped up tambourine with the most credibility one can have!
Old 08-15-2023, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She plays a taped up tambourine with the most credibility one can have!
Actually, she even botches that. She’s off the beat and all over the map. But she looks good doing it, and that’s probably all that matters.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2023, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Actually, she even botches that. She’s off the beat and all over the map. But she looks good doing it, and that’s probably all that matters.

Yeah. I don't think it was ever about the beat. It was a prop in her fantasy world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCdIN-02jYI
Old 08-23-2023, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie addressed the idea of her playing on stage once. I don’t think she mentioned what particular song she would play on. She just said that the question had come up, but for her to do it would just be for show, and it would only end up with Lindsey yelling at her when she messed up, so what was the point.