The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Autumn Ocean Autumn Ocean is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 42
Default

I was in a music store yesterday and they had Gypsy blasting through awesome speakers. I stopped in my tracks and just bathed in it.

I love this song and play it often but hearing it fresh made me love it even more.

How great is Mick's drumming on this track?

How perfect and sensitive are Lindsey's guitars?

How strange is it that a song without a chorus was a hit single?

Last edited by Autumn Ocean : 05-17-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean View Post
I was in a music store yesterday and they had Gypsy blasting through awesome speakers. I stopped in my tracks and just bathed in it.

I love this song and play it often but hearing it fresh made me love it even more.

How great is Mick's drumming on this track?

How perfect and sensitive are Lindsey's guitars?

How strange is it that a song without a chorus was a hit single?
The backing vocals over it make it sublime.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 PM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 868
Default

I would love to hear the stems for this track.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-17-2014, 11:04 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean View Post
I was in a music store yesterday and they had Gypsy blasting through awesome speakers. I stopped in my tracks and just bathed in it.

I love this song and play it often but hearing it fresh made me love it even more.

How great is Mick's drumming on this track?

How perfect and sensitive are Lindsey's guitars?

How strange is it that a song without a chorus was a hit single?

I love that Lindsey left it alone and didn't try to force some attempt at a chorus on it like he did with the production of Smile At You on SYW (I should have turned around and ran as fast as I can... shudder). Stevie's songs don't always follow a traditional verse/chorus format and they can still be wonderful..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 PM
MikeVielhaber MikeVielhaber is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean View Post

How strange is it that a song without a chorus was a hit single?
The line "And You see your Gypsy" could be considered a chorus. It's a line that's used multiple times and includes the song title.

While a hit single without a chorus is not common it's also not necessarily rare. There are plenty of examples.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 AM
missundercover's Avatar
missundercover missundercover is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 68
Heart

I must agree: Gypsy is a perfect song. As song but also the production.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-18-2014, 05:36 AM
Dex's Avatar
Dex Dex is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sussex
Posts: 938
Default

I never thought about the fact that Gypsy doesn't have a chorus. I suppose Lindsey's hooky little guitar picking is the most melodically iconic part of the song and really functions as the chorus, although it isn't sung. It wraps the whole thing up and allows it to work as a pop song, while still being true to Stevie's quirky vision. Brilliantly done all around.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I love that Lindsey left it alone and didn't try to force some attempt at a chorus on it like he did with the production of Smile At You on SYW (I should have turned around and ran as fast as I can... shudder). Stevie's songs don't always follow a traditional verse/chorus format and they can still be wonderful..
There is a chorus if you ask me. "you see your gypsy" could be considered a chorus.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:15 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
There is a chorus if you ask me. "you see your gypsy" could be considered a chorus.
Yes I agree. A verse B chorus A verse B chorus C intrumental outro
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 AM
Autumn Ocean Autumn Ocean is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
The line "And You see your Gypsy" could be considered a chorus. It's a line that's used multiple times and includes the song title.

While a hit single without a chorus is not common it's also not necessarily rare. There are plenty of examples.
"You see your Gypsy" would be a refrain. After reading your post, I did some reading. A chorus has a "change up", while those lines are delivered over the same musical passage as the rest of the verse.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 868
Default

I don't agree. It the melody changes, then it's the chorus. I guess Dreams doesn't have a chorus then? F and G the whole song.

Losing my religion is a good example of a no chorus song.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 AM
MikeVielhaber MikeVielhaber is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post

Losing my religion is a good example of a no chorus song.
The "That's me in the corner..." section sounds like a chorus to me.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
The "That's me in the corner..." section sounds like a chorus to me.
uhhh I have that horrible song in my head now...
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 AM
Autumn Ocean Autumn Ocean is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I don't agree. It the melody changes, then it's the chorus. I guess Dreams doesn't have a chorus then? F and G the whole song.

Losing my religion is a good example of a no chorus song.
Dreams has a chorus. The harmonies from Lindsey and Christine, the strummed acoustic guitar and the percussion that don't appear elsewhere in the song make it so. The chords mightn't change but it is a distinct chorus.

Gypsy doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 AM
secret love secret love is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean View Post
Dreams has a chorus. The harmonies from Lindsey and Christine, the strummed acoustic guitar and the percussion that don't appear elsewhere in the song make it so. The chords mightn't change but it is a distinct chorus.

Gypsy doesn't.
Gypsy is in fact the song which first drew me to Fleetwood Mac to the point of obsession. It was the 2003 Live in Boston version without Christine. When I first got into pre-1998 performances on YouTube videos, well, I'm ashamed to say I say Chris in a 1987 video and thought that she was a drag queen.



Gypsy holds a special significance to this day for me, with the lyrical content in particular having meaning for this time in my life where I am always on the go, always travelling. I have moved house 3+ times since 2011.

I commute to university 4 hours (Return) every day. 1/6 of every day is travelling and I truly do feel like a "travelling gypsy" with no true home (except one very special place).

The guitars - bass and Lindsey's lead are just magic. "Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice" vocals sung by Lindsey is just beautiful and tragic all at once. It feels like Stevie was hoping for a second Dreams, a second mega-seller Rumours record when this song was recorded in 1982. Though it was a success as a single, it definitely did not match Dreams or Landslide. Still, I wish more people would cover it and that it continues to stay special long into the future after the eventual demise of the surviving members of the Mac!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1976 Press Photo Carol Burnett & Billy Wilder - cvp77031
$24.88
1976 Press Photo Carol Burnett & Billy Wilder - cvp77031 picture1981 Press Photo Billy Burnette, entertainer - nop12943
$20.0
1981 Press Photo Billy Burnette, entertainer - nop12943 picture1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picturePress Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773
$17.88
Press Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773 pictureRARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (3) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE
$15.88
RARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (3) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved