User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie7 View Post
Still liking this discussion. As another one of those aging/old/former/whatever hippies I don't always remember things unfiltered through the fogginess of time but I seem to remember being more upset when DK left than PG. I am Danny's age and somehow always related to him. I also didn't really discover FM until Then Play On; had to work backwards to discover the older stuff. So I knew Danny longer. I remember frequenting the local record stores (remember when you could go in and you knew exactly which ones had just come in? And you could spend a couple hours going through ALL the records?) constantly searching for a new Fleetwood Mac album. I remeber picking up the first one without DK and being crushed. Then discovering it was still a good album (that was Mystery to Me, right?)
Penguin actually, but damn dude, you're bringing back a flood of memories!

Frequenting those old local record stores, hunting for for new or used LPs ... rifling through all those seemingly endless selections! Back in the days when full size LP covers provided such helpful info on the backside, all without requiring a dang magnifying glass!

Yeah I too remember when DK was let go, for me it was just one more not so pleasant blow (after Peter and Jeremy). Thankfully two cats named Welch and Weston were there to help pick up the pieces. I almost, I say almost, "let go" with Penguin, and would have had Dave Walker stayed on board (that was NOT a good fit any way you size it). Took a while to warm to those changes, but with the arrival of Mystery To Me, I knew they were made in the shade -- and back on track. The entire front line - Welch, Weston & Christie - all come into their own on that production like never before. When Weston was let go thereafter, I wondered if the changes would ever end (I wasn't going to be disappointed, as time soon proved).

I didn't really feel the same way when Peter left. Although I could really FEEL the difference in the direction of the music."

You cannot overstate the shock PG's departure was to the early Mac faithful. All the way to the end of the Welch era, foks were still looking for Peter Green. Both at Mac concerts, and on Mac releases. Not just among "new" fans who were just discovering FM and wondering what the "buzz" was all about, but often older ones too! * Truth*

I did buy the first album without Bob and remember also being disappointed.

You mean Mac '75 (aka white album), that first one to feature Buckingham & Nicks? If so, wow. That was a knockout release, with a truly fresh west coast sound. Hard to believe, since that's where the "superstardom" phase began -- and a new white powder came into play.

The way I see it, one of the eternal joys of FM is you can head either forward or backward, and with ease. That seems to be reserved for only the best acts in our collections.

And yes, the discovery of a new album and all new tracks ... ahhhhh sheer bliss . Like discovering a really good set of headphones for the first time, or finally completing that one-of-a-kind Best Of compilation tape of all your top favorites! Yeehaw

Although, I forget which song it is, but toward the end of Madison Blues, in the live stuff, there is a DK solo that I also think demonstrates the beginning of Danny's decline. Sometimes you can hear a solo and the guitarist might miss or mess up but you get an idea of what he is trying to do. Man, that one song I really have no idea what Danny was trying to do. And yet, Bare Trees and Future games were still to come so he still had a lot of good stuff coming. Make sense?

Maybe he was stoned at the time, perhaps nipped a bit much? I don't know if that could be a precursor of DK's decline musically (doubt that's what you're implying), but if you mean regarding the personal demons he would increasingly battle as time went on, then yeah, who knows? Keep in mind, they ALL indulged far more than they should of in various forms of contraband, Danny included. Fortunately, as FG + BT proved, he still had plenty of fuel in his tank left.

Tell us which track you're referring to! Inquiring minds insist on knowing.

As a (pretty lame) guitarist myself I find that the only period of FM's music I try to learn and play is Peter Green era music. That is where my new appreciation for what he did comes from as well as my still huge appreciation for DK's guitar playing. I will never even be close to the caliber of either of them but figure I could have worse goals.

You put that well, and yes you could have far less admirable goals. Such a long time fan, now "rediscovering" the blues in a highly personalized way. That sounds pretty darn admirable from where I sit.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Ledgie

Default Back to the 'Interesting read'

When I started this thread, I had no idea of the direction it would take.
To help put it back to its original subject matter, have a read of this:-
http://forums.vintageamps.com/viewto...d0001611553f10
Old 12-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter's Guitar

having bought and sold valuable instruments over time due to changing family and economic situations. I can empathise with Gary Moore. That being said, I hope the guitar is still played and not some war relic hanging on the wall. The owner if Ziff Davis publishing reportedly has in his possession half hte existing 59 les pauls. He can't possibly play them . Conspicuous consumption.

It is also true that once you sell something to someone else or give them a gift , you lose control over it. Too bad , too sad

When Peter was playing the guitar, it did sing!

let us rejoice in what he recorded.

vinnie c
Old 12-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This Les Paul is such a beauty....

/z
Old 12-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
When I started this thread, I had no idea of the direction it would take.
To help put it back to its original subject matter, have a read of this:-
http://forums.vintageamps.com/viewto...d0001611553f10
Be happy it's cookin', no matter what direction it takes.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Be happy it's cookin', no matter what direction it takes.
Lyrics by Robert Cray (dunno if he's the original writer, probably not ):
Too many cooks are gonna spoil the stew,
There ain't nobody cookin', but me and you.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Lyrics by Robert Cray (dunno if he's the original writer, probably not ):
There ain't nobody cookin', but me and you.
Lyrics by Me (dunno if I'm the original writer, probably so )
You gotta savor that stew,
And let the brew come to you,
You gotta savor that stew,
And let the LOVE come to you.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

Snoot, you said:

Maybe he was stoned at the time, perhaps nipped a bit much? I don't know if that could be a precursor of DK's decline musically (doubt that's what you're implying), but if you mean regarding the personal demons he would increasingly battle as time went on, then yeah, who knows? Keep in mind, they ALL indulged far more than they should of in various forms of contraband, Danny included. Fortunately, as FG + BT proved, he still had plenty of fuel in his tank left.

Tell us which track you're referring to! Inquiring minds insist on knowing.

Actually, it is Station Man (the live version). Granted, it seems to be a terrible mix but unless my copy has some serious problems (there does seem to be some sound cutouts) if you listen to it and about 3/4 of the way through the lead guitar just makes no sense. At all. I assume it is Danny's guitar.

Interesting though, I was thinking, again, as I listened to Madison Blues this morning that, for me, it is really revealing of what the band was becoming. If you hold Kiln House in one hand and Madison Blues in the other you seem to be holding a short lived but totally promising version of FM. Especially on MB, but also on KH you get a sense of a real band, working together and some really nice intermingling guitars between Danny and Jeremy. Had things been different I think this band really could have gone places. It is interesting to hear the guitar interplay between the two and realize that it is the reason PG brought Danny into the group because he wasn't getting that from Jeremy. Jeremy even says that lots of times, on stage, he would just sit out on Peter's stuff. Don't know if he thought he couldn't handle it or didn't care but here he is, doing that very thing with Danny. Hmm.

Rick
Old 12-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
When Peter was playing the guitar, it did sing!

let us rejoice in what he recorded.
Ain't it the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie7 View Post

Actually, it is Station Man (the live version). Granted, it seems to be a terrible mix but unless my copy has some serious problems (there does seem to be some sound cutouts) if you listen to it and about 3/4 of the way through the lead guitar just makes no sense. At all. I assume it is Danny's guitar.
This points to some of stuff I witnessed on the last leg of the KH tour (once Jeremy departed), particularly on the more extended jam material. At one moment Pete and/or Danny could be red hot, then seemingly in search of the lost chord. Like I said, I don't know if certain "substances" came into play at times, or just momentary breakdowns based on who-knows-what.

Interesting though, I was thinking, again, as I listened to Madison Blues this morning that, for me, it is really revealing of what the band was becoming. If you hold Kiln House in one hand and Madison Blues in the other you seem to be holding a short lived but totally promising version of FM. Especially on MB, but also on KH you get a sense of a real band, working together and some really nice intermingling guitars between Danny and Jeremy. Had things been different I think this band really could have gone places.

Absolutely. Plus the two of them would also have been able to provide valuable support for one another. We of the old guard have been blessed, but also deprived! We never got TPO-2, and yet at least some preparatory groundwork between PG and DK had already been laid for it instrumentally. Then we never got a revisit of KH, once Jeremy exited the stage. That too would have been nice, since they were really getting into a nice groove of their own. A somewhat redefined groove, but still a very pleasant one.

It is interesting to hear the guitar interplay between the two and realize that it is the reason PG brought Danny into the group because he wasn't getting that from Jeremy. Jeremy even says that lots of times, on stage, he would just sit out on Peter's stuff. Don't know if he thought he couldn't handle it or didn't care but here he is, doing that very thing with Danny. Hmm.

Wonder of wonders, eh? Jeremy always had it in him, it was just a matter of getting his heart in the right place and pushing more. He was plagued with insecurities of his own, not unlike Peter and Danny in their own rights. The only difference was, DK and PG had their hearts more into the music and projects. That's where the extra dedication came in. I personally will never hold anything against Spencer though. He did what his conscience told him to do, and no one should be faulted for following their heart. He went on to serve a different master, arguably a more elevated one. [Doesn't mean I don't lament his leaving though] Peter did too, in his own way. [Ditto again]. Moreover, without that happening, we may never have seen the emergence of Bob Welch and Christine McVie like we did (or Lindsey & Stevie for that matter), so it wasn't all for naught.

PS. Those shamefully bad lyrics I spieled earlier are little more than an inside joke I have going elsewhere. As Wouter reminds me, music is all about feeling the l*o*v*e. Say it again.