User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
It's just that it has to be someone who doesn't "step on his toes". Nigel Watson may have been supportive as a person, but as the years went he kind of almost totally took over on guitar. If you listen to early Splinter gigs Peter is actually playing more solos, "Supernatural" etc; than he did later on. So how is that being supportive?
Actually, I never said "supportive," and for good reason. I think Nigel Watson and Mich Reynolds were exploiting Peter. The more unhappy Peter became with the direction of the Splinter Group, the more Nigel took over. I totally agree that it basically became the Nigel Watson Show Featuring Peter Green, which is why I'm glad Peter's out of that band.

However, I don't see that being the case with Rick Vito. One, Rick is just not that kind of guy. Would a money hungry guitarist just walk out of a band as popular as Fleetwood Mac? The other thing is Rick is a studio musician (partially why he didn't do so well in Fleetwood Mac), and is much more a supporting player. Where as Nigel saw Peter as a meal ticket, Rick would see working with Peter as an opportunity to support one of his favorite guitarists.

As for the Mick vs. Nigel, yes, Mick has been hinting at a possible reunion of the original Mac for years. And, yes, the guy loves his money. However, he maintained a relationship with Peter for all the years after Peter quit the Mac. Never once did Mick pressure Peter into rejoining the Mac when he easily could have. I honestly don't think Mick would try to force Peter into anything if he didn't honestly feel Peter was ready. I think he's learned his lesson from what happened in 1979.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After reading some of your discussions on "Who should fill in for Danny Kirwan? should the blues line-up get together again" here's my view:
The first time I heard Snowy White on the radio with Bird of paradise, I could have sworn it was Danny Kirwan (same touch on the guitar, almost the same voice). Later I found out it wasn't, alas. I got to admiring Snowy very well, however.
As for the discussion on Rick Vito, many of you claim he has Peters style. I don't know him and his playing very much, but it seemed we were looking for a replacement for Danny, not for Peter???

Wouter
Old 03-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
As for the discussion on Rick Vito, many of you claim he has Peters style. I don't know him and his playing very much, but it seemed we were looking for a replacement for Danny, not for Peter???
I don't like to use the word "replacement." What I'm saying is that I think there needs to be a thrid guitarist because Peter Green has a tendancy to go off his rocker whenever there's too much pressure on him. And, let's be honest, there would be more pressure on Peter with Fleetwood Mac than the Splinter Group. I suggested Rick Vito, not because he sounds like Green, but because he was a member of Fleetwood Mac who brought a lot of old Green songs back into Fleetwood Mac's set. Rick would be more than willing to work on this project. He would be able keep the integrity of the reunion, because he would understand and appreciate its importance to Fleetwood Mac fans.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
The other thing is Rick is a studio musician

Whoa there, Steve-o. Studio work is only a PART of Rick's career...to label him as a "studio musician" is wrong. Sure, he's done tons of session work, but he's also a gifted songwriter and a very entertaining live performer, as well. His solo career has been pretty successful to this point, too, and seems to be growing with each album. He seems to be doing fewer sessions and more of his own stuff (recording, touring, etc).

The reason he didn't do so well in Fleetwood Mac is that he wasn't allowed to. (listen to his songs that DIDN'T make it on Behind The Mask; MUCH better than the ones that did)
Old 03-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Today I happened to watch Martin Celmins' interview with Jeremy Spencer (on the DVD from the Madison Blues release). One of the last questions in the interview (which I believe took place in '02) was about a possible reunion of the original Fleetwood Mac. Spencer seemed wary of a reunion, noting that there would be a lot of pressure to do more than just perform a reunion concert. He mentioned that once things got started, "hawks" would likely descend on them to get more out of the reunited band. He didn't rule out the possibility of a reunion, but he seemed uncomfortable with the idea.

Spencer also mentioned that he had actually spoken with Green about the reunion idea shortly before the interview, and that Green wanted to know more about who would be making money from the whole venture - I'm sure he was rightly uneasy about more people trying to make a buck off of his name.

I'm still very doubtful that a reunion will happen, and I'm not sure that it would be in Green's & Spencer's best interests to do it. Thinking more about the idea today, I don't know that Green & Spencer would really have anything to gain by it.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Ledgie

I still think that if Mick Fleetwood is involved it has a chance to be done right. After reading his book it seems clear to me that that Mick truly loves the legacy of Fleetwood Mac, and all the people that were part of it. And he fully give Greeny credit for getting it all started. Peter really left Mick in the lurch back when Mick was about to get Greeny signed to a record contract. Mick probably could have really flown off the handle and written Peter off. But I think he understood the situation and went with it. That seems like a true friend to me. Obviously, by what Sharksfans post says, Peter is still wary of the "sharks" in the biz. So it would have to be done just right. Then maybe if all the buisness crap gets set aside, they can get together simply becaue they are all still on this Earth and can enjoy playing together one more time. That would seem to be a good enough reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greeny19.jpg (21.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Whoa there, Steve-o. Studio work is only a PART of Rick's career...to label him as a "studio musician" is wrong.
Oh, I know. I wasn't using that as an insult. The beauty of guys like Rick is that they play for the situation. But here's how I see what went wrong with the whole "Behind The Mask" thing. The musical direction of Fleetwood Mac traditionally has been set by the guitarist. Mick, John, Chris, and Stevie really only had a vague notion of what they wanted from Billy and Rick. Billy and Rick were too into being team players that they didn't appear to be as comfortable making suggestions for fear of stepping on the "legends" toes. Neither were especially assertive. They weren't of the mind set that they had to carve their own path. I'm sure there were a lot of great songs from Billy and Rick that never officially saw the light of day. Lindsey, by contrast, made a point to have only the "Rumours" band's material be in the set (save for "Oh Well") by the middle of the "Rumours" tour. And, that's the difference.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'd love to see this reunion happen, but thats stating the obvious! Part of me hopes that Danny could be up to the job, but being logical I doubt it very much. Shame, a very gifted guy gone to waste

But with or without Danny, I'd still travel to see them if possible (I live in Ireland, and I'd imagine they would be playing in the UK). That would be the gig of a lifetime, one of those things you just cant afford to miss!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Kyoshi
This message has been deleted by Kyoshi. Reason: posted wrong
Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Kyoshi
This message has been deleted by Kyoshi.