Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Anything is on the table with this bunch. Scruples are NOT their strong suit
Of their fanbase,WHAT percentage are going to know Bob Welch songs? 5%? I'd guess less than that.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Of their fanbase,WHAT percentage are going to know Bob Welch songs? 5%? I'd guess less than that.
100% agree with you --by the end of this tour--I am willing to bet this set list is pretty close to the OWTS Set list, with a little Crowded House and TPH thrown in for good measure.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I still hear “Hypnotized” and his solo version of “Sentimental Lady” on the radio. I don’t know that people realize that’s Fleetwood Mac, though. Neil said they worked on “Hypnotized” a while back. Could happen, but I won’t be surprised either way.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Now that both Bob and Wendy have passed I don't see why the RRHOF thing would be an issue. Principles don't seem to be a strong point with this band so if they are looking to mine the back catalogue as a 50 year tribute to the previous line-ups then why not? Actually Neil's voice probably lends itself quite well to Sentimental Lady. Its a pretty well known song so I could see it going down quite well at concerts.
None of them can duplicate that fingerpicking on the hit version of that song, and oh, btw, that's Lindsey playing it. He produced/arrranged it for Bob (whether he's credited on the album or not-- I forget now). How ironic if they do it again-- screwing over two former guitarists with one song, Bob and Lindsey.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
None of them can duplicate that fingerpicking on the hit version of that song, and oh, btw, that's Lindsey playing it. He produced/arrranged it for Bob (whether he's credited on the album or not-- I forget now). How ironic if they do it again-- screwing over two former guitarists with one song, Bob and Lindsey.
Or, they could do the “Bare Trees” version.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I still hear “Hypnotized” and his solo version of “Sentimental Lady” on the radio. I don’t know that people realize that’s Fleetwood Mac, though. Neil said they worked on “Hypnotized” a while back. Could happen, but I won’t be surprised either way.
I heard Sentimental Lady, yesterday.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and then screw over Bob and Danny God rest their souls.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Or they could just do a whole new version. Isn't that the point of playing an old song- to rejuvenate it, put your stamp on it and give it a new, contemporary lease of life? I'm sure if they wanted to Neil and Mike have the ability between them to create something worthwhile that doesn't just try to re-tread the BW solo version.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
and then screw over Bob and Danny God rest their souls.

Whilst its downright offensive they never honoured Danny while he was alive, and they only ever played Bob Welch material in the first couple of years, I'm not sure it would really be screwing them over to play their music now in death. How is it screwing them over?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It will probably surprise a lot of people on here when I say this, but Lindsey's FM songs largely leave me flat. It's his work on Christine & Stevie's tunes that garners my love & respect for him. On Tusk especially he elevated songs like Brown Eyes and Beautiful Child beyond the mantle of simple pop/rock. Oddly enough the only Lindsey FM songs I truly love are the Tango In The Night title track & You And I, Part I... which didn't even make the Tango album . Now his solo work on the other hand fascinates me. Which is so totally opposite of the case for me when it comes to Stevie- I love her FM contributions, but her solo works are mostly garbage to me.

So will I miss Lindsey in FM? Of course. His stage energy & purity of artistic motives are what will be missed the most. Not to mention Lindsey's phenomenal guitar playing. Not just the energy of his playing, but his style of playing... that whole mystical Spanish-style thing he morphed into from 1997 onwards. Go Insane from the Dance is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He ended up sprinkling little bits of that style into most of FM's live performances over the past 20 years, and I thought it was truly magical.

As far as what this new iteration of FM does or doesn't do... at this point I don't really care. I think they became fully dead to me when I heard they added Second Hand News to their setlist. Not only had they fired the architect of the sound that brought them fame... but they straight up mocked him by playing that song. Shameful. But as Mick would say, onwards & upwards. At least I have the huge back catalogue of FM & solo works to drown myself in. Lately I've been exploring Peter Green & Bob Welch's solo albums... it's been a nice diversion from the toxic caricature FM has become.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Or they could just do a whole new version. Isn't that the point of playing an old song- to rejuvenate it, put your stamp on it and give it a new, contemporary lease of life? I'm sure if they wanted to Neil and Mike have the ability between them to create something worthwhile that doesn't just try to re-tread the BW solo version.
Something like this is perhaps the only thing that could pique my interest in this lineup. I think a good example from the band's history is how Brown Eyes was added to the Tango tour. Brown Eyes isn't a song you'd think would ever translate to stage... but the way Rick & Billy reinterpreted it in the vein of Peter Green was purely genius, and oh-so sultry.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM

^^^^^ Love this!!

You and I part I is a BuckVie tune (Buckingham/McVie)
I do love the production as much as you do. Tango is a gem. I listen to the remaster in my car and he did amazing work. Nice contrast to Tusk and no where near Rumours.

I loved what Billy and Rick did with their live sets. Both tours. Christine actually had a solo and she was very very keyboard driven. Especially, on the BTM tour.

I guess toward the end it was getting tired or they weren't into it.
But, the shows I saw were off the charts good.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 09-25-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
You are right but my point was that FM had at that time 20 years of material to chose from and they did a total of 4 PG songs on the two tours 87-88 and 90.
Oh Well, I Loved Another Woman, Stop Messing Round, and Rattlesnake Shake, right?

Quote:
They did nothing from any OTHER member pre 75. If Mick really cared about those guys he would have done songs by them.
Agreed. The Rumours configuration either rehearsed or performed a bunch of older stuff—some of it worked and some of it didn't. But they at least tried.
  • Oh Well
  • Green Manalishi
  • Hypnotized
  • Tell Me All the Things You Do
  • Child of Mine
  • Sunny Side of Heaven
  • Spare Me a Little
  • Station Man
  • Believe Me
  • Why
and maybe some others, like Prove Your Love (which Chris once said in a 1982 interview that the band "ran through" a bunch of times)

Quote:
I would also say that a lot of the people acting all excited about hearing pre 75 material likely never cared for that material before
Agreed again!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
This tour is nothing more then a cash grab. If they end up doing a new CD it will only be because SN wants to stick it to Lindsey.
Or, Stevie will feel comfortable enough with the current situation.

Quote:
I would also say that allot of the people acting all excited about hearing pre 75 material likely never cared for that material before and probably don't even own any material from FM that dates before 75. I own almost all the FM albums and even have solo 45's from Bob Welch and Danny Kirwan etc.
I can only speak for myself, but I’ve been wanting the early years stuff for decades.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-25-2018, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Whilst its downright offensive they never honoured Danny while he was alive, and they only ever played Bob Welch material in the first couple of years, I'm not sure it would really be screwing them over to play their music now in death. How is it screwing them over?
I was referring to what another poster said earlier in the thread.Don't take it too seriously.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 09-25-2018 at 07:22 PM..