Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default article: A BAND IS MORE THAN THE SUM OF IT'S MEMBERS

http://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com/2018...s-members.html
A band is more than the sum of its members
by Neil McCormick
The Sunday Telegraph
‘It is impossible to imagine the Beatles with any other configuration than John, Paul, George and Ringo’

Fleetwood Mac have changed their line-up. Again. The vintage rock band have had 18 members over 51 years, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised at their willingness to swap things about even at this late stage. Indeed, the latest twist in their convoluted saga has something of a superstar transfer about it. Last week, it was announced that vocalist and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham had left, with a source close to the band alleging the split was a result of “musical differences regarding the tour”. Two new members, singer songwriter Neil Finn, of Crowded House, and lead guitarist Mike Campbell, of the late Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers, have been brought in to replace his copious talents.

The question fans will be asking is what impact this latest rejig will have on the integrity of the band. The rest of Fleetwood Mac remains familiar, although the rhythm section of drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie are the only members who have been there since the beginning (lending the band their name). Vocalist Stevie Nicks joined in 1974, left in 1991 and rejoined in 1996, while singing keyboard player Christine McVie joined in 1970, left in 1998 and rejoined 2014. And who now remembers Dave Walker, vocalist for the Mac in 1972-73, who subsequently replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath for a year in 1977-78? It’s hard to imagine Sabbath and the Mac existing in the same musical universe, let alone sharing members. Perhaps given their revolving door policy, they should form a supergroup: Black Mac. Did you know that Sabbath have had eight singers and 25 members over their own 50-year career?

There is an ideal concept of a pop group as a close-knit, quasi-family unit, a perfect balance of musical personalities. It is impossible to imagine the Beatles with any other configuration than John, Paul, George and Ringo. But they were among a minority of successful bands that kept the same line-up after their first hit, who broke up when they fell out, and never reformed. The reality for most bands has turned out to be far more fluid. From The Rolling Stones to Arctic Monkeys, almost every major group still performing live after 10 years has gone through line-up changes. Indeed, it is easier to identify exceptions: ZZ Top (same line-up for 49 years), U2 (42 years), Radiohead (33 years), Coldplay (20 years) and, er, I think that’s about it.

Some groups manage these transitions more seamlessly than others. Pink Floyd became a supergroup after leader Syd Barrett was replaced by school friend David Gilmour. Genesis promoted drummer Phil Collins to frontman upon the departure of Peter Gabriel, but who now remembers when Stiltskin frontman Ray Wilson took over the microphone in 1997 for a final Genesis album that was such a critical and commercial flop they had to cancel a world tour? Some groups, including Iron Maiden, Metallica and Nirvana only reached their full artistic and commercial potential after line-up changes, so the classic version of the band is not actually the original.

There are groups who have changed their line-ups so often, there are no original members left – including The Hollies and Dr Feelgood – or have gone through so many changes they end up with competing versions arguing about who has the right to the name, including Yes, The Sweet and The Beat. Backline musicians come and go, but a distinctive singing voice and physical presence are harder to replicate, and many bands become little more than interchangeable vehicles for a frontman, including Robert Smith’s The Cure, Billy Corgan’s Smashing Pumpkins and Trent Reznor’s Nine Inch Nails.

Does that mean a band is really just a brand – a corporate vehicle on which to hang a set of songs? As a fan and regular concertgoer, I have to believe there is something more to it than that. Otherwise we might as well give up on the originals, and just go see tribute bands. In fact, there’s no reason why a reshuffle can’t offer a band a whole new lease of artistic life. That’s what makes Fleetwood Mac’s latest incarnation so intriguing. They have always sought out creative solutions to the problem of musicians departing, and Finn and Campbell are incredibly talented and successful musicians in their own rights. They don’t need to join any band to pay the mortgage; they have presumably been lured in by an opportunity to play fantastic songs and become part of an incredible saga.

I can’t wait to see the results, especially if the Mac are adventurous enough to add Finn’s gorgeous songs to the set. Stevie Nicks duetting on Don’t Dream It’s Over while Campbell rips out a tasty lead: who could resist that? Indeed, given the number of members they have had over their career, Crowded House might actually be a better name for the band.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was talking to my sister in law, who is not a big fan...
She said
“ well they were a good band before him and they’ll be a good band , now he’s left”.....
So what he’s gone, kind of thing. No big deal.....to her.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
...my sister in law said
“ well they were a good band before him and they’ll be a good band , now he’s left”...
If Peter Green was still capable of touring
I might agree. But...

For me they are going to be really boring
without Lindsey. Death warmed over.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
If Peter Green was still capable of touring
I might agree. But...

For me they are going to be really boring
without Lindsey. Death warmed over.
He is a fantastic frontman--that's undeniable. And yes I agree--will be very boring without that presence and dynamic.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Everyone is replaceable in a band. However when you change the core chemistry and sound of a band its really not the same. Fleetwood Mac went on without Lindsey, Christine, and Stevie before but it really was not the same. A guitarist and vocalist is such a vital member of a band.
Stevie sang Dreams, Rhiannon, Landslide, and Gypsy (all Mac songs) on her last solo tour. While you enjoy them as Mac songs, its not Fleetwood Mac. She could be singing with any cover band. For many this is ok. They just want to see Stevie twirl and sing. They have no interest in who the musicians are. The dynamic of the Mac on stage is pretty hard to beat. Removing one of its singers and sole guitarist impacts everything. Imagine Keith Richards being fired from the Rolling Stones. Is he replaceable? Yes. Does it impact the sound and dynamic of the band. Of course.
Bands replace members all the time. Sometimes additions like Joe Walsh to the Eagles and Stevie and Lindsey really make the band better. But the additions are not added just to "fill in" on a behind schedule tour. They were picked for their playing and creative juices. If the Mac went on to record several albums with the new members then its a different ball game. The Mac is at the end of its road. Its a shame we could not get a final album but now we cant even get a final tour with the Rumours line up. That is so incredibly sad IMHO. Everyone knows these members are just there to finish some contractually obligated tour. This is NOT to discredit them (new members). Its to discredit the band who cant even do one last tour with stupid drama.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-17-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Old 04-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I was talking to my sister in law, who is not a big fan...
She said
“ well they were a good band before him and they’ll be a good band , now he’s left”.....
So what he’s gone, kind of thing. No big deal.....to her.
While I respect your sister’s opinion, that’s the difference between being a casual fan and a big fan

My sister isn’t also a big fan but she’s against the change. She thinks it won’t be the same and the band will lost its magic. Of course she has me as her sister, so it’s hard to think otherwise.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The promoter I work with(who thought he was breaking the news to me last week - I'd known for days, lol), is a pretty big casual fan. He's always told me that Lindsey IS the show, and he'll never go again, unless Lindsey would come back.

So it DOES matter to some casual fans. Well, I guess casual fans who aren't Chiffonheads.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I enjoyed reading this. I've always been a metalhead. I'd love to hear Stevie wailing over some doomy Black Sabbath or Motorhead cover Tusk which won't happen. Anyway "Black Mac" made me laugh out loud in a good way.

I suspect we'll see more articles like this (prepping fans for the lineup change and promoting the idea of new music) the closer we get to the tour announcement.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for sharing.

MODS: this is an article advertising post-rumours era band, so along with discussion should we moved to post-rumours.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The title of this article - Didn't Lindsey himself say once (or perhaps more than once), something about the band "being more than the sum of its parts"? Ironic.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm trying to see this situation in a "glass is half full" sort of way: maybe Stevie will come to life again without Lindsey there-knowing someone has to pick up the pace. She will never be the whirling dervish of old BUT she might step it up in some of the ways she did on her last tour (e.g. add a little 'performance art', a la Moonlight, etc.) and maybe interact with the new members in ways she hasn't been doing with Lindsey (other than the phony hand holding) ...

" I can’t wait to see the results, especially if the Mac are adventurous enough to add Finn’s gorgeous songs to the set. Stevie Nicks duetting on Don’t Dream It’s Over while Campbell rips out a tasty lead: who could resist that?"
^Things like that might actually add a little life to the set! *Fingers crossed*
Ricoh
Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I'm trying to see this situation in a "glass is half full" sort of way: maybe Stevie will come to life again without Lindsey there-knowing someone has to pick up the pace. She will never be the whirling dervish of old BUT she might step it up in some of the ways she did on her last tour (e.g. add a little 'performance art', a la Moonlight, etc.) and maybe interact with the new members in ways she hasn't been doing with Lindsey (other than the phony hand holding) ...

" I can’t wait to see the results, especially if the Mac are adventurous enough to add Finn’s gorgeous songs to the set. Stevie Nicks duetting on Don’t Dream It’s Over while Campbell rips out a tasty lead: who could resist that?"
^Things like that might actually add a little life to the set! *Fingers crossed*
Ricoh

She’s going to have to step it up. Mike Campbell is a great guitarist but he’s not a frontman. Neil, I don’t know, but if the promoters chose to throw themselves behind Stevie, she’s got deliver. I have no doubt she will but even she takes a break mid set. On her solo tour, her stories were also an opportunity to take a breather. She’s not going to be able to chat away on this tour like she did on the last, and since Lindsey is so woven into the FM songs, her mentionitis could kick in and that would be awkward.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
She’s going to have to step it up. Mike Campbell is a great guitarist but he’s not a frontman. Neil, I don’t know, but if the promoters chose to throw themselves behind Stevie, she’s got deliver. I have no doubt she will but even she takes a break mid set. On her solo tour, her stories were also an opportunity to take a breather. She’s not going to be able to chat away on this tour like she did on the last, and since Lindsey is so woven into the FM songs, her mentionitis could kick in and that would be awkward.
And Christine, don’t forget..
They’ll both have to up their game to equal half the energy of Lindsey.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
maybe she'll just turn all the stories into stories about Tom?

or stories bashing Lindsey could also be a possibility?

i just heard Neil Finn will be touring solo in parallel and all his fans are boycotting seeing him with FM. not sure how true that is, but wouldn't that be karmic and circular considering the solo tour in parallel is cited reason for kicking Lindsey out?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wednesday 30 May 2018
Neil Finn
Sydney Opera House, Sydney, NSW, Australia
I also see May 31 and June 30th. He had dates in March. I don't see anything for this month. This stuff must have already been scheduled?