Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In the Innerview for "Hard Promises," Tom told Jim Ladd that he had a lot of respect for Stevie because of the story around "Insider." That was the song he originally intended to let Stevie use on her album, but after the two of them finished a beautiful vocal (which reminded Tom of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris on "Grievous Angel"), Tom said that Stevie released the song back to Tom because she could tell that he really wanted to keep it. Then she told him to give her another song, which turned out to be HIS choice to give her "Stop Dragging My Heart Around." She was thrilled because it was a lot grittier, and she didn't really want a love ballad from him. So the song becomes a hit, and he may have been a little pissy for a time, but I don't think it bothered him all that much. In fact, on the radio with Jim Ladd, he sort of laughed about the fact that it was a hit.

I think their friendship survived that little nothing of an incident. She camp-followed him on part of his tour in 1981, and he gave her another song for her next album. His next album, "Long After Dark," had two big singles: "You Got Lucky" and "Change of Heart," still Heartbreakers classics today.

What's a little freakier is hearing from Jimmy that he didn't like Stan Lynch. Lynch was the best Heartbreakers drummer in history by a huge margin. His style was as integral to the Heartbreakers sound as Mick Fleetwood's style is to his band. One of the saddest days musically for the Heartbreakers was the day they **** canned Stan Lynch. One of the worst moves ever.
Those Jim Ladd interviews are fun but such fluff. He is far too up their butts to do a genuine interview. Total nonsense and fluff. Listen to the interview with Iovine. He has no reason to make something up. He got along so good with Tom and SDMHA sadly affected their relationship in a negative way. Jimmy apologized and admits he handled the situation wrong. I don't think Tom Petty is going to admit any of this to Jim Ladd. It was Jimmy that went looking for this single not Tom. Tom was not offering any of his songs. It was Jimmy that went to get it from Tom.
Its all water under the bridge now but the puffery on those Jim Ladd interviews is funny. But what do you expect? Honesty? No. Everyone just gets along and everything is done on purpose and everything is wonderful
The logic is not there for Iovine to make up a lie how much Tom was pissed at him.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-04-2017 at 05:26 AM..
Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Those Jim Ladd interviews are fun but such fluff. He is far too up their butts to do a genuine interview. Total nonsense and fluff. Listen to the interview with Iovine. He has no reason to make something up. He got along so good with Tom and SDMHA sadly affected their relationship in a negative way. Jimmy apologized and admits he handled the situation wrong. I don't think Tom Petty is going to admit any of this to Jim Ladd. It was Jimmy that went looking for this single not Tom. Tom was not offering any of his songs. It was Jimmy that went to get it from Tom.
Its all water under the bridge now but the puffery on those Jim Ladd interviews is funny. But what do you expect? Honesty? No. Everyone just gets along and everything is done on purpose and everything is wonderful
The logic is not there for Iovine to make up a lie how much Tom was pissed at him.
I remember Tom saying that as soon as he heard Stevie sing it he knew was a hit.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Ledgie

Interesting, the notion that Stop Draggin' killed a Petty/Heartbreakers single. The song in question is "She's a Woman in Love". It was single #2 from their 1981 album Hard Promises, after "The Waiting (is the Hardest Part) reached Top 20 a few months before. She's a Woman in Love was not a bad song but it's kind of downcast and moody, not nearly as rock-radio friendly as the band's bigger hits like Don't Do Me Like That, Refugee and Don't Come Around Here No More. I doubt it would have reached the Top 40 even if SDMHA hadn't existed.

It's too bad Jimmy and Tom/Heartbreakers didn't decide go for it and release "The Insider" right alongside SDMHA and make an even bigger splash out of the duet thing. Double albums come along all the time, why not a double single? Insider is such a gorgeous song, it was much stronger than "She's a Woman in Love" and there would have been room for two Petty/Nicks songs to do really well on the charts.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 07-05-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Old 07-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG. All this **** about Stevie being a "slut"..."homewrecker"...."cheater" is totally out of line. Who are any of us to judge her or anyone for that matter? Except of course someone who molests a child, murders someone etc etc.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors in any marriage/relationship. It takes two to tango so "homewrecker" Stevie or anyone for that matter should not be judged. This is just my opinion. Sure I get pissed at Stevie. I'm pissed that she didn't want to record with Fleetwood Mac. I feel she needs to change her hairstyle. What she does in her personal life is not for me to comment on or pass judgement.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69 View Post
OMG. All this **** about Stevie being a "slut"..."homewrecker"...."cheater" is totally out of line. Who are any of us to judge her or anyone for that matter? Except of course someone who molests a child, murders someone etc etc.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors in any marriage/relationship. It takes two to tango so "homewrecker" Stevie or anyone for that matter should not be judged. This is just my opinion. Sure I get pissed at Stevie. I'm pissed that she didn't want to record with Fleetwood Mac. I feel she needs to change her hairstyle. What she does in her personal life is not for me to comment on or pass judgement.
That's exactly what i think
Btw, JIovine was a fool then and he still is
Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

calling one of the biggest female rock stars of all time a slut for being promiscuous in her younger days is a double standard.She played and won at a man's game so she should have also been able to enjoy the same spoils as the boys did.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thank you for saying this! Cannot believe the double standard on this board. I feel like I'm transported to the 1950s sometimes.

But back on topic, much thanks to the original poster for summarizing the interview. Does anyone have a transcript or video clip of the part(s) about Stevie? The YouTube link someone posted earlier was removed for copyright infringement.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This reply not about Howard Stern, but about Jimmy Iovine: Stevie will have a spot on HBO's 'The Defiant Ones': Dr. Dre and Jimmie Iovine's Wild Adventure.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/featu...enture-w491039

"Hughes also unearthed footage even his subjects hadn't seen: Iovine arguing with Stevie Nicks during the making of Nicks' Bella Donna . . .

Hughes was also able to get both men to open up on camera, Iovine spoke about his secretive romance with Nicks, which caused friction between him and Tom Petty, another act he was producing at the time. ("It was awkward," Iovine says.")"

Should be interesting.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Lol you have to murder children in order to do something worth being judged for? No sorry but I disagree. Stevie could've slept with every single not tied down dude on the entire North American continent and I wouldn't judge her for it. Props to her. But no I think people who break apart relationships and get involved with someone already taken deserve being criticized for it. And I feel the same way about people like Mick or Lindsey or whoever else did bad things and got away with it because of their "rockstar life".
Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Lol you have to murder children in order to do something worth being judged for? No sorry but I disagree. Stevie could've slept with every single not tied down dude on the entire North American continent and I wouldn't judge her for it. Props to her. But no I think people who break apart relationships and get involved with someone already taken deserve being criticized for it. And I feel the same way about people like Mick or Lindsey or whoever else did bad things and got away with it because of their "rockstar life".
There's a difference between disapproving and judging, and judging others is a very severe flaw. There are things like murder or abuse that are a threat to the entire society so they must be condemned, but other people's personal failings don't concern anyone except those who are involved with it.
Unfortunately, particularly in this time where the line between the private and the public is progressively blurring, people feel entitled to criticize the life of people that they really don't know, even holding over someone else's head mistakes from a very far and different era of their life, when they were totally different people from the present, but the fact is that those who judge tell more about themselves than what they tell about the other person. The inclination to judge others implies a deep insecurity alongside a false sense of superiority.
As written in one of my favourite books, "It is far more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others". Noone is above making mistakes. Every one of us will make a lot of mistakes during life, most of them will be small but some will be serious; these last ones are much easier to commit than we'd like to think, and it's often very unlikely that if we were put in the same circumstances of the people we judge, we wouldn't commit the same mistake.
We should always put ourselves in the shoes of the person we're judging, and remember that the only one with whom we have to justify ourselves to are those that have been hurt by our mistakes and no others.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
There's a difference between disapproving and judging, and judging others is a very severe flaw. There are things like murder or abuse that are a threat to the entire society so they must be condemned, but other people's personal failings don't concern anyone except those who are involved with it.
Unfortunately, particularly in this time where the line between the private and the public is progressively blurring, people feel entitled to criticize the life of people that they really don't know, even holding over someone else's head mistakes from a very far and different era of their life, when they were totally different people from the present, but the fact is that those who judge tell more about themselves than what they tell about the other person. The inclination to judge others implies a deep insecurity alongside a false sense of superiority.
As written in one of my favourite books, "It is far more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others". Noone is above making mistakes. Every one of us will make a lot of mistakes during life, most of them will be small but some will be serious; these last ones are much easier to commit than we'd like to think, and it's often very unlikely that if we were put in the same circumstances of the people we judge, we wouldn't commit the same mistake.
We should always put ourselves in the shoes of the person we're judging, and remember that the only one with whom we have to justify ourselves to are those that have been hurt by our mistakes and no others.

Considering the fact that Stevie is very open about these things, talks about her personal life and affairs in relation to her songs and life in general, tells stories, casually makes random unneeded comments about things like that in interviews etc etc, I don't see an issue with it. If she was private about it and we just found out, then I'd agree we should keep our mouths shut. But she's not private at all and never has been and if she wants all of that dirty laundry open then she should be open to criticism too. And I don't think things like that count as "mistakes". Mistakes are forgetting to show up to work or being lazy or saying a bad thing to someone in the heat of an argument. But to each their own I guess.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Considering the fact that Stevie is very open about these things, talks about her personal life and affairs in relation to her songs and life in general, tells stories, casually makes random unneeded comments about things like that in interviews etc etc, I don't see an issue with it. If she was private about it and we just found out, then I'd agree we should keep our mouths shut. But she's not private at all and never has been and if she wants all of that dirty laundry open then she should be open to criticism too. And I don't think things like that count as "mistakes". Mistakes are forgetting to show up to work or being lazy or saying a bad thing to someone in the heat of an argument. But to each their own I guess.
As I've already said judging is different from disapproving: judgement is based on prejudice and conceit, while disapproval includes comprension (not justification) and impartiality. Just because someone is frank and open about their past mistakes, then that doesn't give others the right to judge them, respect and comprension are everyone's right, not only of those who choose to hide their wrongdoings. The real accomplishent in life is not living without making big mistakes, which is impossible, but learning from them and succeding to change, and it's not possible to do it without admitting them first.
We as human change constantly and it may seem strange but it will come a time when even the worst mistakes we've made won't matter much anymore, everyone touched by them will have turned the page and at that point our past don't define us anymore. If someone chooses at some point to share their story to the world it doesn't change anything.
I don't think it's realistic nor right to think that people should "keep their mouths shut", after all we all freely give our opinions and receive other's opinions constantly, but we should also reflect on it and substitute judgement with objective criticism, because we never know what that person we are judging has experienced, what made them do what they've done and become what they are.

The very definition of a mistake in the moral sense is "Regrettable action" and like everything else in life it's not black or white but it's a progression that starts from small accidents like the ones you listed (although I wouldn't classify laziness as a mistake) to much more severe things that to some may seem unforgivable, and in this case indeed as you said "to each their own".
During our life, everything that happens to us changes the way we see things and what we considered right or wrong last year may not still be the same now, so we should be careful on believing our own opinions are universally valid for everyone.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
As I've already said judging is different from disapproving: judgement is based on prejudice and conceit, while disapproval includes comprension (not justification) and impartiality. Just because someone is frank and open about their past mistakes, then that doesn't give others the right to judge them, respect and comprension are everyone's right, not only of those who choose to hide their wrongdoings. The real accomplishent in life is not living without making big mistakes, which is impossible, but learning from them and succeding to change, and it's not possible to do it without admitting them first.
We as human change constantly and it may seem strange but it will come a time when even the worst mistakes we've made won't matter much anymore, everyone touched by them will have turned the page and at that point our past don't define us anymore. If someone chooses at some point to share their story to the world it doesn't change anything.
I don't think it's realistic nor right to think that people should "keep their mouths shut", after all we all freely give our opinions and receive other's opinions constantly, but we should also reflect on it and substitute judgement with objective criticism, because we never know what that person we are judging has experienced, what made them do what they've done and become what they are.

The very definition of a mistake in the moral sense is "Regrettable action" and like everything else in life it's not black or white but it's a progression that starts from small accidents like the ones you listed (although I wouldn't classify laziness as a mistake) to much more severe things that to some may seem unforgivable, and in this case indeed as you said "to each their own".
During our life, everything that happens to us changes the way we see things and what we considered right or wrong last year may not still be the same now, so we should be careful on believing our own opinions are universally valid for everyone.
maybe judge was the wrong word, i do mean criticism but anyways i still disagree, especially with your idea of mistakes. and i don't just mean stevie, but any of those "rockstars" who did a whole bunch of things and managed to get away with it because it was just the "rockstar" life and fans writing long blocks of text defending them. either way i don't want to write more long blocks of text on this, part of me wishes i'd never brought it up to begin with. and i meant to each their own in regards to our differing opinions on this.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
maybe judge was the wrong word, i do mean criticism but anyways i still disagree, especially with your idea of mistakes. and i don't just mean stevie, but any of those "rockstars" who did a whole bunch of things and managed to get away with it because it was just the "rockstar" life and fans writing long blocks of text defending them. either way i don't want to write more long blocks of text on this, part of me wishes i'd never brought it up to begin with. and i meant to each their own in regards to our differing opinions on this.
To tell the truth that wasn't "my" definition of "mistake" and everything else but that of someone I admire very much, and I did understand what you meant with "to each their own" but nonetheless yes, it's better to just agree to disagree and leave it at that; just know that unfortunately it's useless to keep criticizing others for their mistakes because either they already have remorse and then they don't need to be constantly reminded, or they aren't remorseful because they severely lack empathy, and then you can't change that in any way and will only end up intoxicating yourself. Good luck for everything's to come.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-13-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Old 07-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One of the points I was trying to make was we don't know what was going on in the marriages of the men she had affairs with. They could have been happy marriages or they could have been bad marriages. Who knows maybe the wives were sleeping around as well. We as fans don't know. People cheat on spouses for a number of reasons so I cannot pass judgement on what one chooses to do with their personal life. Consenting Adults owe no apologies to anyone except the parties involved.