Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Why isn’t Randy Bachman in the Hall? Between the Guess Who and BTO, he’s written some of the most legendary songs in rock’s history.

These Eyes
Undone
Laughing
No Time
American Woman
No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature
Takin’ Care of Business
Let It Ride
Roll On Down the Highway
You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet
Recently heard Roll On Down The Highway, wow I love that song. Great pick me up.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That's not what I said. YES, they both sang together but it was on Rod's stage. When they did the interview breaking the news about the tour, they both said they would be singing on each other's stage (like Stevie did with Don). That NEVER happened. Rod never came out on Stevie's stage. She came out on his stage but that dwindled as the tour went on. Clearly Rod is a bigger egomaniac than Stevie. If it really was a shared tour as they stated in the beginning (no opening acts) then you dont introduce someone. Rod should have sang Stevie's Leather and Lace in Stevie's set. He could not even sing it without reading the lyrics from the monitor word by word. It was pathetic. Seriously. They practiced for months and the lyrics to Leather and Lace are not that tough. IMHO being that they isolated from performing together in the later dates says a lot. Stevie was probably tired of his B.S. She was tricked into becoming an opening act for his ego.
funny to read this. i remember their interview promoting the tour, and it was so obvious he's teasing her and trying to have fun talking about their younger years, and she just did not get it, would have none of it, and was dead serious espousing how great she was instead. no sense of humor.

there were also interviews how she was pi**ed at him because he was always winging it and wouldn't rehearse while she wanted them to rehearse those duets to death. and how can you bang at him not knowing lyrics of someone else's song when that somone else doesn't know lyrics of her own songs and always has them on the prompter on stage. tbh, i actually loved their version of L&L - he sang it so gently, it just worked for me.

between the 2 of them i would never characterize Rod as the one with the overblown ego.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-21-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
funny to read this. i remember their interview promoting the tour, and it was so obvious he's teasing her and trying to have fun talking about their younger years, and she just did not get it, would have none of it, and was dead serious espousing how great she was instead. no sense of humor.

there were also interviews how she was pi**ed at him because he was always winging it and wouldn't rehearse while she wanted them to rehearse those duets to death. and how can you bang at him not knowing lyrics of someone else's song when that somone else doesn't know lyrics of her own songs and always has them on the prompter on stage. tbh, i actually loved their version of L&L - he sang it so gently, it just worked for me.

between the 2 of them i would never characterize Rod as the one with the overblown ego.
He's less nasal than her, too.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Fleetwood Mac was definitely better when the five of them could all yell and scream at each other without risking being fired.
Loss of leverage. Nothing hurts as much. I want the whip hand.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Loss of leverage. Nothing hurts as much. I want the whip hand.
It's so true. The best music came out when they were, as Christine said, "Tearing each other limb from limb."
Old 10-23-2020, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

I saw this tour on one of their Canadian stops.

Despite the 50/50 billing, it really was Stevie as a 'guest', if not an opening act.

I blame her and her management for not setting up a better deal for her to begin with. She had this dinky little stage set that was removed right afterwards for Rod's big and glitzy one. And she put herself in a deferential position, saying in the press, how grateful she was to Rod for giving her a platform to promote her upcoming album.

After Rod's much longer set was over, people forget she was ever even there.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's so true. The best music came out when they were, as Christine said, "Tearing each other limb from limb."
This is totally true.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you saying they're dysfunctional?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
Are you saying they're dysfunctional?
If you go back to Christine's film, "Fleetwood Mac's Songbird". They asked her what's changed in 15 years. She chuckles and says something about Stevie and Lindsey are still tearing each other apart limb for limb. She also said it in her Ken Bruce interview before she officially came back. She talked of Races are Run and how tight Stevie and Lindsey are musically. Then she laughed and said, "Not in any other way, these days." (2013)

I know that during the Dance she was tired of them constantly fighting. Touring with Stevie throwing her power around must have been exhausting. And Lindsey was the director who was trying to put the show together. I think he brought out the best of the 5 of them on The Dance tour. After Christine left, I think Lindsey didn't have any support because Stevie threw her weight around and Mick sides with her. John doesn't care.

He's always helped her career, and she's always used her fame to pummel him. That's my opinion. I mean Silver Springs with Neil would be way better than The Dance version! Don't you think?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey brought Christine back to us. Not Stevie. And yet, who bragged about bringing Christine back with a spirit catcher, told her to get in shape, and then lectured her how hard it was to be on tour?
Don't forget she also mimicked her English accent. The nerve!!!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you go back to Christine's film, "Fleetwood Mac's Songbird". They asked her what's changed in 15 years. She chuckles and says something about Stevie and Lindsey are still tearing each other apart limb for limb. She also said it in her Ken Bruce interview before she officially came back. She talked of Races are Run and how tight Stevie and Lindsey are musically. Then she laughed and said, "Not in any other way, these days." (2013)

I know that during the Dance she was tired of them constantly fighting. Touring with Stevie throwing her power around must have been exhausting. And Lindsey was the director who was trying to put the show together. I think he brought out the best of the 5 of them on The Dance tour. After Christine left, I think Lindsey didn't have any support because Stevie threw her weight around and Mick sides with her. John doesn't care.

He's always helped her career, and she's always used her fame to pummel him. That's my opinion. I mean Silver Springs with Neil would be way better than The Dance version! Don't you think?
When you think about it they had a nice run. You have 4 (minus John) alphas with completely different personalities, vying for power and control, and achieving unimageable fame, wealth, and adulation. Add excessive drug and alcohol abuse and broken personal relationships and it's amazing they stayed together and achieved what they did. If they could only go back to pre 1976 and remember what they were really like and try to be a little more humble about where they are currently. All of them, especially Mick and Stevie, act like they deserve the wealth and adulation that they have instead of really appreciating it. To say it has gone to all of their heads would be an understatement.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
All of them, especially Mick and Stevie, act like they deserve the wealth and adulation that they have instead of really appreciating it. To say it has gone to all of their heads would be an understatement.
That’s hardly new, though. Bob Welch said how they (Mick, John, and Christine) were on some type of mystical quest, as if by appointment to Her Majesty in a 1994 BBC special.

https://youtu.be/XXcKxJBBDYU

Stevie and Lindsey had that, too.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-24-2020, 10:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

This seems relevant, given our never-ending discussions here about what went wrong and why: someone put together a brief video for Stevie that aired last night during the Tom Petty 70th birthday celebration (which was great, btw).

https://twitter.com/Nickslive/status...30251455721472

At about the 0:53 mark in this video, she admits Petty was her "moral compass." A surprising moment of self-awareness from someone who has struggled mightily with that in recent years. May help explain (though never justify) some of her behavior of late.

She also uses this video to, by using others' words, claim she was Tom Petty's best friend and a "premiere" songwriter. I'm not saying she wasn't/isn't either of those things. Just feels like poor taste to shoehorn in things like that in a remembrance video. But... that's our gal.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
This seems relevant, given our never-ending discussions here about what went wrong and why: someone put together a brief video for Stevie that aired last night during the Tom Petty 70th birthday celebration (which was great, btw).

https://twitter.com/Nickslive/status...30251455721472

At about the 0:53 mark in this video, she admits Petty was her "moral compass." A surprising moment of self-awareness from someone who has struggled mightily with that in recent years. May help explain (though never justify) some of her behavior of late.

She also uses this video to, by using others' words, claim she was Tom Petty's best friend and a "premiere" songwriter. I'm not saying she wasn't/isn't either of those things. Just feels like poor taste to shoehorn in things like that in a remembrance video. But... that's our gal.
I wonder what Tom's advice would have been to her when she contemplated firing Lindsey? I also wonder how Mike could have so easily jumped in Lindsey's place and how he would have felt if he had been fired from the Heartbreakers and replaced so easily. No shame for these people.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the case of Petty, I truly do believe that her words are sincere (albeit with a touch of self-congratulatory tone that she always does...at least she didn’t mention the Hall of Fame). I have no idea if Tom would’ve considered Stevie his best friend but it wouldn’t surprise me that she’d consider him one of her closest male friends. Didn’t he comment that she always insisted on being in his life. Almost like he liked her but not nearly as much as her clinger self liked him.

I will say that I’ve long felt that if Barbara Nicks and Tom Petty were still alive, the whole Lindsey firing fiasco wouldn’t have happened. She truly does have nobody around her who will tell her the truth and not be yes-men. When all of your friends and family are on your payroll, they aren’t going to risk the gravy train. Mike Campbells availability aside, I think Tom would’ve had some remarks for Stevie and how foolish firing Lindsey would be.